ADVERTISEMENT

Panhandle Pheasants

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
I thought I would post this a little earlier than I have in the past, but they're recovering pretty well. The random April blizzard 2 years ago set their recovery back a couple years, but there looks to be a decent population this year. It won't be awesome, but it might be worth folks coming back again. If we don't have anything super bad happen this winter and have a normal/wet spring/summer, next year should be a very good year. Lot of time before then, but hey, now ya know.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
The quail were very badly hit on the April blizzard 2 years ago. There were a lot of quail prior to the blizzard but not after. Probably be a couple more years before they recover.

Pheasant are still bad in the main body of the state. Been 3-5 years now in a row where its just awful. Between rainfall and loss of cover, its as bleak as I have seen.

Quail are not much better (always a few). Today ODW releases an email proclaiming that its better than 2018. What they don't say is that 2019 might be the 3rd worst out of the last 30 years.

Just got back from SW Kansas (west of Garden City) and it was pretty rough. A ton of the stuff was already plowed, corn was baled and the milo wasn't holding any birds.

The CRP stuff we had permission on was decent but we needed more guys. I only shot one bird and peppered a coyote, but I had several dozen hens flush in front of me.

Kind of a bad set of circumstances for our group that ruined the Saturday hunt, but had those few things not happened, we would've had a chance at several more birds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT