ADVERTISEMENT

OL starts

Cowboy76

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Time for my annual thread. I took a few hits for this a couple of years ago but true football fans know football starts in the trenches. It is not a dogmatic prediction but rather just another indicator of probable success. Last year we were the most experienced OL in the conference starting out and even though we were not the most talented, the experience factor allowed us to show continued improvement in the run game.

This year we have slightly fewer starts than last year(not counting Cochran's starts in the Pac 12) with a total of 95. uo is the conference leader with 97 plus they have 3 backups that also have started several games. Crabtree and Lundblade will be 4th year starters this year and that experience will be invaluable. Keyes will be a remarkably experienced underclassman. The next most experienced OL's in the Big 12 belong to Texas and TCU. Of course, we know a couple of the Texas OL were very highly recruited and possess NFL potential. That is a factor as well. It is interesting to note that the two teams predicted to be at the top of the league are the two teams with the best OL and the best QB. That is a great combination.

Also as a note of interest, we are all aware of the talent that Baylor had at WR, RB, and QB during their 2 year run as conference champs but they also had the best OL and DL in the league at that time as well. This year, not so much. In fact they will be 9th in the league in Ol starts returning and I beleive that was before their center gave up his career after spring ball because of chronic injuries. Factor this in with their drop off in talent at WR and QB and I look fort a very difficult season for them. They only won 3 league games last year. That is probably too high a number for the upcoming season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News