ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State football: What do coaches want to see from Spencer Sanders in spring?

It is just my opinion, based on watching thousands of games of different sports. He is too self centered. It is about him. He may say the right things on-air, but that isn't what you see on the field. He ducks his head and limps at the first hit. That is not leadership. That is saying look at me.

Look at the way a freshman phenom, Cade Cunningham, came in from the first day with a team first attitude. If Sanders had more of that he would have the team eating out of his hands. I've been told by more than one source who would know that most players have more confidence in Killingworth than Sanders.

Let me be clear. I am not against the kid and I hope for the program's sake he is all world this year. I certainly think he has talent. I just want to see leadership that draws kids together and makes them want to fight for him. I haven't seen that yet, but this spring he may win them all over. I don't know.

The Gundy 15 games theory is complete horseshit. If it were true every blue blood would have a rebuilding year at least once every 3 years. It's a fake excuse for not being able to get young quarterbacks ready to play.

Unless you're OU. Then you just recruit transfers from other schools after the QB takes their early lumps there. Then when they finally get a stream of good HS players going they start acting like jackasses and blocking those guys from going to other schools.

Reactions: AC2020
It is just my opinion, based on watching thousands of games of different sports. He is too self centered. It is about him. He may say the right things on-air, but that isn't what you see on the field. He ducks his head and limps at the first hit. That is not leadership. That is saying look at me.

Look at the way a freshman phenom, Cade Cunningham, came in from the first day with a team first attitude. If Sanders had more of that he would have the team eating out of his hands. I've been told by more than one source who would know that most players have more confidence in Killingworth than Sanders.

Let me be clear. I am not against the kid and I hope for the program's sake he is all world this year. I certainly think he has talent. I just want to see leadership that draws kids together and makes them want to fight for him. I haven't seen that yet, but this spring he may win them all over. I don't know.

It does seem that he gets extra pouty sometimes. However I don't feel like he's been put in situations that he can best succeed in. Some of that had to do with early TO issues causing the coaches to lose faith in him. However, I do think if they were to do more stuff like they did against Baylor and in the bowl game where he can get in a rhythm and gain confidence with some short, easy to complete passes or some runs where he can get in the open field cleanly and then maybe slide or get out of bounds instead of asking him to chunk 25-30 yard fades over and over or run a designed QB run behind a crowded box with 20 Cowboy Backs, then he might play better (and he did).

When mom started going to Twitter a couple years ago, that clued me in to some of his maturity issues.

Best way to be a leader is to make winning plays consistently. My guess is when players start to think they prefer the 2nd string guy, it is due to the fact they do not see the starter making enough winning plays on Saturdays. It is hard to lead a team when a lack of confidence exists in your ability to win games. You can be a great leader, but if you can't lead a team to wins, none of it matters. Best bet to be leader at that point is be the 2nd teamer and work your azz off and have a great attitude and lead as a back-up.

Best way to be a leader is to make winning plays consistently. My guess is when players start to think they prefer the 2nd string guy, it is due to the fact they do not see the starter making enough winning plays on Saturdays. It is hard to lead a team when a lack of confidence exists in your ability to win games. You can be a great leader, but if you can't lead a team to wins, none of it matters. Best bet to be leader at that point is be the 2nd teamer and work your azz off and have a great attitude and lead as a back-up.

At OSU that means wait your turn till the guy in front of you gets hurt or leaves.

The optimistic take would be that injuries and missing spring last year have arrested Sander's development. I'm not necessarily buying that, but i'm not writing him off completely.

Reactions: AC2020 and osu2082
Trever Lawrence, Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, RG3, Landry Jones, Jamies Winston, Jalen Hurts, ALL dynamite from year one on.

Almost certainly all of those guys were markedly better 15 games into their career than the first game. I think its clear that Sanders will never be an all time great QB, but its possible things could click for him later in his career.

The Gundy 15 games theory is complete horseshit. If it were true every blue blood would have a rebuilding year at least once every 3 years. It's a fake excuse for not being able to get young quarterbacks ready to play.
It does not mean they suck games 1-14 then its like someone flips a switch and they are great, its just that is when they seem to start grasping things better,the game starts to slow down for them and they start to improve at a faster pace.........there are exceptions for every rule, but generally players get better with more experience obviously.

I do not often agree with you brt, but this is spot on

It does not mean they suck games 1-14 then its like someone flips a switch and they are great, its just that is when they seem to start grasping things better,the game starts to slow down for them and they start to improve at a faster pace.........there are exceptions for every rule, but generally players get better with more experience obviously.
It is a bull shit theory that Gundy doesn’t even really believe that he uses as cover for his historically horrible QB decisions. If he really believed it, Sanders would have gotten in a few of the games his freshman year.

Don't count out Illy. Just sayin'. Dunn quote from PFB...

"Illingsworth's more confident in pulling the pin quicker," Cowboy's offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn said last week..... He was a little hesitant last year, which most rookie quarterbacks are. He didn't deliver the rock on time. Way different now. Much, much different.
Everything you said is null and void, due to siting PFB.

Reactions: ostate69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT