ADVERTISEMENT

NWCA Classic

Awesome! Should be a very interesting matchup stylistically. Also Joey is a large 141. We will get a glimpse of how the size and horsepower of 141 will affect Kaid.

Jacobe wrestling amine from Michigan interesting that it’s at 174. Does this put chandler at 84? Or Joe? None of the three have certified

Is Joe growing into these higher weights or eating into them? I know Derek started HS at 116ish and is now a solid 265 so not impossible just weird as NONE of the Smith clan is that big. JT Realmuto is the biggest but his dad is a big man.

Is Joe growing into these higher weights or eating into them? I know Derek started HS at 116ish and is now a solid 265 so not impossible just weird as NONE of the Smith clan is that big. JT Realmuto is the biggest but his dad is a big man.

From just a genetic and physical standpoint a healthy Joe is a probably 165 pounder, maybe a 174 but if he is up at 184 and stays there then that doesn't bode well for him or our team IMO.

From just a genetic and physical standpoint a healthy Joe is a probably 165 pounder, maybe a 174 but if he is up at 184 and stays there then that doesn't bode well for him or our team IMO.
Hard to get to 165 when your 210 and over!
fat-man-eating-fast-food-hot-dog-breakfast-overweight-person-diet-failure-plate-who-greedily-eats-lot-junk-meal-leads-to-93777613.jpg

Not good, and not surprising. He doesn't seem to be very committed. Maybe he's burned out. Good thing for Chandler and Jacobe, maybe it makes our team better.

Last edited:
The good news is jacobe is a better 174 than 184 and I think chandler is better at 165. Now Jojo will need to beat our transfer at 184

The good news is jacobe is a better 174 than 184 and I think chandler is better at 165. Now Jojo will need to beat our transfer at 184
Chandler was 86kg for freestyle not sure he ever planned on going 165 this year.Chandler Is closer to 197 then he is 165.

Reactions: osu2082
Chandler was 86kg for freestyle not sure he ever planned on going 165 this year.Chandler Is closer to 197 then he is 165.
You are referring to 2 years ago in Wisconsin where I was in attendance to see him compete in junior world team. Agree he can go whatever weight and be effective but he is a tough 165lbs

You are referring to 2 years ago in Wisconsin where I was in attendance to see him compete in junior world team. Agree he can go whatever weight and be effective but he is a tough 165lbs

He wrestled 86kg this summer and looked fantastic. Lost to Myles Martin in the best 2 out of 3 finals.

This summer he wrestled at about 174 and on the second day against better competition he did not look good. Physically Joe looked like someone who should be wrestling 65.

No Big D your wrong he wrestled 86kg at u23 trials in Akron May 30 2018 where he lost to Myles Martin 13-9 6-0.Last year he was a tough 165 this year 165 will be a huge cut for him.

Hard to get to 165 when your 210 and over!
fat-man-eating-fast-food-hot-dog-breakfast-overweight-person-diet-failure-plate-who-greedily-eats-lot-junk-meal-leads-to-93777613.jpg
Today is Tognetti's Birthday. I will not say how old he is but it has taken him several months to remember the name of this board and his password so he could post.
Happy Birthday Tognetti. I will say he will be eligible to draw Social Security some time this year.

I stand corrected, completely forgot about that. Just seems like the experts on this board have always said his body is better fit to be a 165. Sounds more like 184 will be his weight.
No Big D your wrong he wrestled 86kg at u23 trials in Akron May 30 2018 where he lost to Myles Martin 13-9 6-0.Last year he was a tough 165 this year 165 will be a huge cut for him.

One thing that's a little puzzling is that if Chandler is going 184 (or even 174) then why hasn't he certified yet?

Makes me wonder if the coaches want him to certify at 165 as an option. Then Dakota could slid into 184 if Chandler works his way down at some point.

Certification of weight is made up of current weight, body fat, and a urine check for hydration. Then there will be a date listed for when each wrestler is eligible to wrestle at lower weight. At least in high school I’m not sure why it would be too much difference in college. Is it just coaches playing with the numbers until they get the result they want? Gamesmanship? Every other big time program has completed this process.

One thing that's a little puzzling is that if Chandler is going 184 (or even 174) then why hasn't he certified yet?

Makes me wonder if the coaches want him to certify at 165 as an option. Then Dakota could slid into 184 if Chandler works his way down at some point.
I imagine that's what the staff is thinking.Joe is known to be a good weight cutter but 200 to 165 is a big cut but something tells me he will make it.If he doesnt make it his career is more then likely over.

I imagine that's what the staff is thinking.Joe is known to be a good weight cutter but 200 to 165 is a big cut but something tells me he will make it.If he doesnt make it his career is more then likely over.

That’s a huge cut considering the season starts in earnest in three weeks. Disciplined wrestlers would struggle with that cut. Joe has been anything but disciplined. Not optimistic. The fact that the season starts in 3 weeks and he’s tipping the scales at 2 bills has to frustrating for most of the other kids in the room.

That’s a huge cut considering the season starts in earnest in three weeks. Disciplined wrestlers would struggle with that cut. Joe has been anything but disciplined. Not optimistic. The fact that the season starts in 3 weeks and he’s tipping the scales at 2 bills has to frustrating for most of the other kids in the room.

I don't know that we have conformation that he is at 200 and while I think we all want to see a healthy and dialed in Smith in late October as long as he is at a good weight come January he would be fine.

For his sake more than anything I hope health and want to are in line this year as he is an extremely talented wrestler.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Just going to add this...Joe's last tweet was back in early September when he retweeted a Jordan Burrough's message saying ..."can't wrestle. run. can't run. lift"....

Complete speculation on my part, but if his knee is acting up again (at least twice before he's had a serious infection), you could have a kid that can't run, who is not the best with diet & nutrition. That's one way to hit 200+ lbs two months before the season starts.

My (total) guess is that the plan is to have Joe get healthy and work his way down to 165 at some point. In the meantime, have Jonce (or Wyatt) start the year at 165 and have Chandler certify at 165 to provide some flexibility.

I don't know that we have conformation that he is at 200 and while I think we all want to see a healthy and dialed in Smith in late October as long as he is at a good weight come January he would be fine.

For his sake more than anything I hope health and want to are in line this year as he is an extremely talented wrestler.
Funny how everybody treat Joe with kid gloves, just because Joe is John's son. You can only keep your head in the sand for so long. Joe hasn't taken care of his self for over two years. Sometimes a little hard love goes a long way, at least some reality for some of you. I sound like Harleycowboy! The sky is falling.

Funny how everybody treat Joe with kid gloves, just because Joe is John's son. You can only keep your head in the sand for so long. Joe hasn't taken care of his self for over two years. Sometimes a little hard love goes a long way, at least some reality for some of you. I sound like Harleycowboy! The sky is falling.

No kid gloves and as I said if he is at 200 and can't make 165 then he is the one who ultimately loses on the deal and wastes a bunch of talent.

I just know some of the injuries he has dealt with. If he doesn't have the work ethic or mentality to do what is needed to stay and compete at this level then the team will move on without him and he will be the one with regret down the line.

I want guys who want it to have the honor of being out on the mat in Orange. Rogers and Jacobe both fall in that category and hope they get to be at the weight they feel like gives them the best chance for success.

No kid gloves and as I said if he is at 200 and can't make 165 then he is the one who ultimately loses on the deal and wastes a bunch of talent.

I just know some of the injuries he has dealt with. If he doesn't have the work ethic or mentality to do what is needed to stay and compete at this level then the team will move on without him and he will be the one with regret down the line.

I want guys who want it to have the honor of being out on the mat in Orange. Rogers and Jacobe both fall in that category and hope they get to be at the weight they feel like gives them the best chance for success.

Well said.

We don't need a pile on Joe thread here. OSU fans & non OSU fans have posted for months that he doesn't always take care of himself off the mat. I get it. So he's a college kid enjoying college life. Just shocking.

He will either make changes that align with his wrestling goals or he won't. Either way, he's a good kid.

Some of the backstory being reported here is disheartening . . . I hope it's not as bad as it sounds and that Joe returns to the mat in top form. The sport is better with him in the mix.

Joe has AA'd both years he could compete. If he is healthy he will probably get to 165 lbs by Christmas break and be competitive. I am curious if his knee will ever allow him to be healthy and mentally confidant enough to compete to and All American level. That is if Chandler is not at 165.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Makes one wonder what his conversations with John are like. Can't imagine John quietly sitting back watching him eat like crap and get fat without voicing his displeasure.

Makes one wonder what his conversations with John are like. Can't imagine John quietly sitting back watching him eat like crap and get fat without voicing his displeasure.

Is JoJo on scholarship? I worked at a Universoty and the children of certain level employees got free tuition. Are they using the 9.9 on him at all?

Event is about to kick off with Kaid, Gross withdrew due to injury, hope he heals in time for the dual so Daton can get a good look.

5-4 after one McKenna with two take downs and an escape, Kaid with a takedown, escape and a penalty point for hand to the face.

2nd period: Kaid gets turned for 4 and ridden the entire period, bottom woes continue and McKenna leads 9-4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT