ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Political Question For Anyone With An Opinion

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
Our wedding anniversary is coming up in a few weeks. I always take my better half to dinner to celebrate. We prefer steak houses.

We have eaten at Mahogany many times, love the food and the service is splendid. We celebrated our anniversary there two or three years ago, and they bent over backwards to make us happy. The problem with Mahogany is it no longer seems special, it’s kind of where we go when we want a steak.

Likewise we've been to The Ranch several times. Not as often as Mahogany, but we like it a lot. The food and service are very good. But like Mahogany it has just been a place to go, it’s no longer something we look forward to like we did in the past.

So this year I’m looking for something new for us. I’m trying to choose between two places we’ve never been: Opus Steakhouse and Red Prime. Anybody have an opinion on either one of these? Or is there another place I am failing to consider? I could use all the input you can provide!

How far are you willing to travel?
Not far! We’re both 75 years old. One of the perks of Mahogany has always been we could leave the house and walk in their door in about 5 minutes. But what do you have?

Our wedding anniversary is coming up in a few weeks. I always take my better half to dinner to celebrate. We prefer steak houses.

We have eaten at Mahogany many times, love the food and the service is splendid. We celebrated our anniversary there two or three years ago, and they bent over backwards to make us happy. The problem with Mahogany is it no longer seems special, it’s kind of where we go when we want a steak.

Likewise we've been to The Ranch several times. Not as often as Mahogany, but we like it a lot. The food and service are very good. But like Mahogany it has just been a place to go, it’s no longer something we look forward to like we did in the past.

So this year I’m looking for something new for us. I’m trying to choose between two places we’ve never been: Opus Steakhouse and Red Prime. Anybody have an opinion on either one of these? Or is there another place I am failing to consider? I could use all the input you can provide!
What city, Dan? Red Prime is like the other two you mentioned.

What city, Dan? Red Prime is like the other two you mentioned.
Oh, sorry. We live in Edmond. The only concern I have with Red Prime is driving by in the evening it looks like it would be loud. But looks deceive. We’ll gladly go anywhere in greater OKC.

Oh, sorry. We live in Edmond. The only concern I have with Red Prime is driving by in the evening it looks like it would be loud. But looks deceive. We’ll gladly go anywhere in greater OKC.
If you like an endless supply of grilled meat, and love a ridiculous and I mean ridiculous salad bar, go for Texas de Brazil at Penn Square.

You are correct about Red Prime. It is usually loud.

Last edited:
I also recommend Musashi's. It's a teppanyaki style Japanese place. They have ridiculously good seafood and steak and it's a very entertaining atmosphere having your food cooked in front of you with knives, fire, food, and what not being tossed around. I may or may not know the head chef there, wink.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input! You've given me new ideas on where to go.

Have you been to Fiat Madison? The chef is from France and has been the chef at high end places in France. He met a woman from Edmond and moved here and opened it up. There is no other restaurant like it in Oklahoma. Also, prepare to spend $400-$500.

Reactions: okstatefan1
Have you been to Fiat Madison? The chef is from France and has been the chef at high end places in France. He met a woman from Edmond and moved here and opened it up. There is no other restaurant like it in Oklahoma. Also, prepare to spend $400-$500.
French chef running a restaurant named for an Italian car company and an American president, located in the former Indian Territory. Now THAT is what I call diversity.

Last edited:
Dan, Red Prime is a damned good steakhouse. It's been a while since I've eaten there, but I'd say it's better than the Ranch.

The Japanese places don't do a good steak like Red Prime. IF it's steak you like, you gotta hit red prime.

Dan, Red Prime is a damned good steakhouse. It's been a while since I've eaten there, but I'd say it's better than the Ranch.

The Japanese places don't do a good steak like Red Prime. IF it's steak you like, you gotta hit red prime.
Thank you for the tip. I have always been intrigued by Red Prime, but I'm not sure it is the appropriate venue for a couple seeking a quiet/romantic location. But we intend to check it out soon!

Thank you for the tip. I have always been intrigued by Red Prime, but I'm not sure it is the appropriate venue for a couple seeking a quiet/romantic location. But we intend to check it out soon!
The front bar area may be loud but I don't think the dining area is like that.

Edit: if it IS loud, tell me, I prefer to have a normal conversation over dinner!

Reactions: Ponca Dan
Also, Ludivine is really good. One of the best restaurants in the state.

And take her for a drink at the Library of Distilled Spirits.

Reactions: Ponca Dan
@Ponca Dan I had a guy tell me he opened this steak house in OKC that is called "Steak the Experience". Now he said it is modeled after the NY steakhouses and they dry age the beef. ITs up North towards Edmond.

9410 N May Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73120

I haven't got to try it yet though.

Now my favorite place up the is Paseo Grill in the art district. Wife and I enjoy that place for nice dinners.

@Ponca Dan I had a guy tell me he opened this steak house in OKC that is called "Steak the Experience". Now he said it is modeled after the NY steakhouses and they dry age the beef. ITs up North towards Edmond.

9410 N May Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73120

I haven't got to try it yet though.

Now my favorite place up the is Paseo Grill in the art district. Wife and I enjoy that place for nice dinners.
Paseo grill has a great mushroom soup. I can't believe saying this, bit there's also a Ramen place in that neighborhood thats really good.

Seriously. When have you eaten anywhere other than an Arby’s attached to a Love’s truck stop?

If you like an endless supply of grilled meat, and love a ridiculous and I mean ridiculous salad bar, go for Texas de Brazil at Penn Square.

You are correct about Red Prime. It is usually loud.
Texas de Brazil doesn’t look like something we’d want for our anniversary, but we may check it out this weekend. Is it as good as it looks?

Texas de Brazil doesn’t look like something we’d want for our anniversary, but we may check it out this weekend. Is it as good as it looks?
It is. I'm not generally a fan of chain restaurants, but it's hard to screw up grilling meat over a pit of fire. The salad bar offers a ton of stuff as well.

Why not try The Ranchers Club in Stillwater. Similar to the other steak houses, but you get to dine on campus.

That place would intimidate the hell out of me. I wouldn’t know which fork to use!
There is a small, very intimate higher end restaurant in North Edmond on Danforth called Signature Grill. There aren’t more than 10-12 tables, and it’s very dark and cozy. They have a great Beef Tenderloin with smoked blue cheese and a red wine reduction. The kitchen is visible through a large window, so you can see the cooks function, and it’s pretty interesting. It’s our anniversary spot, and we’ve steered several couples there and they have not been disappointed.

There is a small, very intimate higher end restaurant in North Edmond on Danforth called Signature Grill. There aren’t more than 10-12 tables, and it’s very dark and cozy. They have a great Beef Tenderloin with smoked blue cheese and a red wine reduction. The kitchen is visible through a large window, so you can see the cooks function, and it’s pretty interesting. It’s our anniversary spot, and we’ve steered several couples there and they have not been disappointed.
I haven't eaten there yet, but friends who have say it's amazing. It's on my list.

@Ponca Dan, splurge and take your wife to Florida and eat at Charley's. Steak grilled over a 1200 degree citrus and oak wood fire. It's the only place I've eaten that has a 20 ounce filet mignon.

And they have amazing seafood if you like seafood.

Besides the beaches at Siesta Key, Charley's is the other reason I travel to Florida.

Reactions: iasooner2000
@Ponca Dan, splurge and take your wife to Florida and eat at Charley's. Steak grilled over a 1200 degree citrus and oak wood fire. It's the only place I've eaten that has a 20 ounce filet mignon.

And they have amazing seafood if you like seafood.

Besides the beaches at Siesta Key, Charley's is the other reason I travel to Florida.
Sounds like a great experience! We might be a little past our prime for such an excursion. Oh, to be young again!

This sounds perfect! I’ll do a drive-by and check it out. Do they have drinks? Or just wine? I’m a mojito guy. My wife a wine lover.

Small, cozy, intimate, quiet. Sounds perfect. And it gets great reviews. Thanks for telling me about it!
I think you and your wife will enjoy it. It’s not a big operation so they spend a little more time at your table, it’s just a more unique experience then some of the big places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT