ADVERTISEMENT

No. 16 Oklahoma State survives double-overtime thriller in Arkansas' return to Stillwater

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

No. 16 Oklahoma State survives double-overtime thriller in Arkansas' return to Stillwater​

• Sep 7, 2024 Updated 6 hrs ago

Tyler Waldrep

OSU Sports Writer

66dd413833fb5.preview.jpg

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State seemed lucky to be trailing by only 14 points at the half, but the Cowboys capitalized on two second half turnovers, including one muffed punt to secure a 39-31 double-overtime victory against Arkansas on Saturday.

Oklahoma State running back Ollie Gordon couldn’t get going at all in regulation, but in the second overtime period he found the end zone from 12 yards out then hauled in a 2-point catch to secure the win.

Oklahoma State kicker Logan Ward kicked a 28-yard field goal with 55 seconds left to put the Cowboys up, but Arkansas kicker Kyle Ramsey answered with a 45-yarder at the end of regulation. Both kickers then missed in the first overtime period.

When ESPN cuts the highlight reel of Saturday’s game, Oklahoma State’s defense will be featured on almost every play. The Cowboy defenders came through with some of the game’s biggest plays, including a 73-yard pick-six by defensive back Kale Smith.

They also watched as the Razorbacks moved the ball at will for most of the game. Arkansas gained at least 15 yards on 20 offensive plays.

No. 16 Oklahoma State (2-0, 0-0 Big 12) travels to Tulsa (1-0, 0-0 AAC) on Saturday at 11 a.m.

Here’s a breakdown on Oklahoma State’s win over the Razorbacks (1-1, 0-0 SEC)

Surprising Starter: Josh Ford

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has taken every opportunity this offseason to talk up freshman tight end, and product of Stillwater High, Josh Ford.
He started spring practice praising Ford, whether the questions prompted it or not.

He did so again following Saturday’s 30-31 double-overtime win over Arkansas.

“The freshman looked pretty good, huh?” Gundy said, referring to Ford.

Ford got the start at tight end on Saturday and even hauled in a 10-yard catch on the first drive of the game. He finished the game hauling in all three of his targets to finish with 23 yards.

He appeared to score his first touchdown at one point, but it was ruled that he stepped out at the 3-yard line. Although other tight ends were involved, Ford was the only one to see more than two targets and the only one to make more than one catch.

Momentous Play: Alan Bowman flea-flicker​

Oklahoma State’s offense spent most of Saturday’s 39-91 double-overtime win over Arkansas struggling to hit the big plays then quarterback Alan Bowman got the call that the Cowboys were going to try and get out of the mud by looking for fullback Jake Schultz in the passing game.

At the time, Schultz had three receptions in his entire career for 22 yards. Maybe Arkansas knew that and that helped the redshirt senior get open 16 yards downfield.

“It is so wide open, try not to overthrow him or try not to miss it and Jake ran a great stall of block, block, block and then release,” Bowman said.

By the time, Arkansas defenders caught up to him, Schultz picked up 63 yards on the play.

Bowman said the Lions actually ran the same play, which OSU calls frisbee, in the NFC Championship game last season.
It wasn’t a new trick schemed up for Arkansas. Oklahoma State actually ran it last season although he was covered up that time.
Three plays later, Oklahoma State found the end zone to take its first lead of the game.

Schultz said he wasn’t surprised he didn’t get the score. He tried to just zone out before the play so he could haul in the reception and move the chains.
“I knew there would be someone chasing me,”Schultz said. “And once I saw him out of the corner of my eye. I tried to hit the burners, but obviously he caught me.”

Ring of Honor​

During halftime, Oklahoma State celebrated new Cowboy Football Ring of Honor member Leslie O’Neal.

Now his name and the number 99 are on full display on the top wall of Boone Pickens Stadium alongside Bob Fenimore, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas and Terry Miller.

“There is no way to prepare yourself,” O’Neal said when asked what the halftime ceremony would feel like before the game. “I appreciate that they accepted me in the Oklahoma State family and they feel like I deserve to have my name up there. It’s the first time it has ever happened for me so it is hard to know how I will feel.”

During his OSU career (1982-85) O’Neal became the program’s all-time sack leader after recording 34 which still stands today.

“I never thought about records like that when I was playing,” O’Neal said. “So to sit there and to still say well you still got that record. I’m like wow nobody broke that yet, wow what happened? Maybe I need to go down there and start coaching some of these guys to play better.

“But all joking aside I’d love for somebody to break the record, because the reality is records are meant to be broken and I’d hate for me to be the best player that ever played here. I’d want somebody else to be better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.