ADVERTISEMENT

NJ ref asking kid to cut dreadlocks?

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
anyone heard anything about this? I’ve only read the online articles but I’ll be honest all I’ve seen is the shotgun racism angle. Could very well be racist but I honestly don’t know any of the background on what for them to that situation.

Was this something in the rules about hair length? Was it mentioned to them previously the hair was an issue?

These are my questions. I assume he could wear his headgear with no problem. I would hope his coach knew in advance what the rules regarding hair and headgear were. His dreads weren't so long from what I could see on the video as to pose a safety hazard to him or another wrestler.

That’s kind of what I thought FG but I’d love to hear the full story. Know we have some folks tied in to HS wrestling in other states so I’d love to hear the full story.

the ref in question was punished a few years back for getting caught using the N word... I am not a race baiter or someone who sees a racism angle in everything.. that being said, I think the rule that seems to be against hairstyles that are primarily worn by black wrestlers is problematic and difficult to justify... I had a situation last season where one of my kids had his hair twisted on top, not dreads, not longer than a 1/2 inch off his head. it was fine at weigh ins, once he walked out Quirk said his hair was illegal and we had injury time to cut it or untwist it.. later that same season there were multiple kids with the same hairstyle wrestling at regionals on his mat and he said it was different..

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
An unfortunate situation, my only problem with it was that the kid was told about it the week before and was allowed to compete.

During a tournament last weekend at Southern High School in Manahawkin, Ocean County, Buena wrestling coaches and Johnson complained about the new hair covering, and Johnson was allowed to compete with a version that did not comply with the guidelines, O’Neill said.

http://www.philly.com/news/new-jers...s-alan-maloney-referee-buena-nj-20181221.html

An unfortunate situation, my only problem with it was that the kid was told about it the week before and was allowed to compete.
Not all refs are that strict or follow the rules. We had a kid that was told to wear a legal hair covering. We did not have one so we concocted a home made one and made it work and the refs said, ok for this week, but next time it will not be acceptable. In other words, they also wanted the kid to wrestle, but they let him know that eventually, he would have to have a legal hair cover.
I have seen and wrestled against black kids with their hair in braids and it can be very abrasive and scratch your face up. I do not know if this was the case with this kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT