ADVERTISEMENT

New Wrestling Room?

Pacemaker5

Recruit
Nov 7, 2019
Tulsa
John is amazing. Here he is at this stage of his career, landing the number one recruiting class. When you look at that Ohio State University wrestling...facility, I can't help but wonder why the heck John doesn't have something at least the equivalent of that? Also, if we give a hoot about wrestling we will find a way to get our RTC up to a competitive level? I mean doing those two things would only be keeping up with the Jones. What John Smith has done for Cowboy Nation as either a competitor or a coach should be enough for him to get the kind of support given other top programs. I've heard the wrestling room may be in the works for a while. Does anyone know if something is being done to give John more than his good looks to recruit with?

The AD is very actively fundraising for wrestling facilities. The price tag is high as it will be among the best wrestling only facilities in the nation.

John has some hangups with the current RTC free for all and until there are some changes and/or clarity we won’t see what we have seen happen at Iowa, PSU, OhSt and RU.

If I was a D1 coach, I would have a sign in my office that says "It's the RTC, stupid". That way I would be forced to read it everyday.

I agree a new facility would be very nice, but do people think it matters to top 10 overall recruits? Guys like Daton, Ferrari & Plott, who are needed to win team titles. Snyder & Kerkvliet just bailed on the newest, most expensive facility in the country. Because they seek out the best coaches & training partners.

RTCs are not going away - at least the post grad part. A couple of weeks ago, Flo reported that the conference proposals (Big12, SoCon, MAC) only recommended changes that impacted recruiting at the Cadet & Junior levels. And those proposals ended up getting scrapped anyway, because they conflicted with existing NCAA rules about local sports clubs.

I wish they would put out some rendering out showing what we are trying to build. Maybe it would help drum up additional support and donations. Maybe lasso in that big dawg they are needing for naming rights that is needed.

I think having an awesome room and a serious RTC are not the exception, but the norm. I would love to see our h.s. kids in Oklahoma and around the nation have a reason to settle into this area in order to get the amazing advantage of training with world class international stars. The old room under GIA was unique when I was there, but that was in ancient times.
As per the room, it would undoubtedly be a plus, but I get your point about the top 10 type prospects. Staff and tradition are number one, but facilities and RTC opps are not the attraction they should be to our recruits. You know the old saying. "You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem." That's where I'm at with both issues.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Moreso, why aren't we out in front of all this? Why are we so late to the game in so many critical matters? UCO has a nicer room than we do. It's not some secret - we've had that room for over two decades now and don't even have sketches of a new one. Our RTC's Facebook page last had a post in March... of 2018!

I'm praying that things are moving like crazy under the surface or behind closed doors. Tired of watching Heritage Hall collect dust while other programs build palaces.

Reactions: Pacemaker5
Yes, it's not rocket science. This is what the big boys are doing. We should be leading the pack, not playing catch-up. There has been a few references about an NCAA ruling coming down. I'm so far out of the loop, I don't know what that refers to. Just speaking as a fan of the sport, I support the RTC's developing high school age talent. Henry Cejudo kept the h.s. athlete that I was coaching from being an undefeated state champion. He trained at the OTC in Colorado Springs yet went undefeated by destroying Colorado High School wrestlers. For a short time, I resented the advantage that he had, but as time distances that event, I'm stoked our h.s. phenoms can come out like Yianni D, D Fix, Snyderman, etc. It really stands out now watching the press releases from Ohio State University and Penn State at their facilities. With Snyder joining Bo, DTaylor, Zain, and Cael at their RTC, that just seems to be one more area that we are behind. Ohio State's facility is the place wrestlers go when they lay their head on a pillow at night. John deserves better, period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT