ADVERTISEMENT

New toy...

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
I've been wanting that "ranch rifle" I've been talking about for a while and finally bit the bullet. Not very expensive considering you can easily drop upward of 3-5K for what I was wanting, but I decided on a Rem 700 tactical SPS (coyote tan cerekote) in 6.5 Creedmoor with 22 inch barrel. It came with the Hogue stock which feels great! However after doing some research I found a little info on a couple of sniper sites that said that the (tactical) heavy barrel, while normally floating can touch the stock at the fore-end as it isn't quite rigid enough if any pressure is applied downward, so accuracy can be affected (from sub moa to up to 1.5 groups reported). So while setting up the rig, I decided to go ahead and install an adjustable Magpul stock that is highly rated touted to help with accuracy. On top, I installed a Vortex HS-T (with VMR-1 Reticle moa) 4x16x44 glass with a 30mm tube, sitting in nightforce one piece 20moa rings with built in top level. I really like it so far. The trigger is adjustable and set at a crisp and smooth 2.25 lbs, which I like so I will keep it for now. I just need to figure out what round it likes to digest best so I can by a few cases of that lot. Once I get it broke in and shooting well, I'm going to try out some lessons locally with a guy who shoots up to 1000 yds. (I have little trouble with elevation, but figuring wind is a growth curve for me.) Range report coming when I get a chance to do it justice.
I haven't bought or installed a sling or bipod yet, but I want a quick release bipod I can take off and on easily.

So that brand new, never used, Hogue stock is for sale (very reasonably!) and it is very nice and I believe with a normal barrel it would perform great. It feels great and would be super for hunting (quiet!)

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilPOKES
Nice set up. Some day my kids will be old enough I can go shoot again. When that happens, I am building myself a bad ass rifle. Until then, I live vicariously through you.

It's too bad that Remington is going to have to declare bankruptcy....

It's too bad that Remington is going to have to declare bankruptcy....

I'm a bit surprised by that announcement too and of course I don't know the details of their business financials. Like so many companies, I expect they will find a way back after Chapter 11 reorganizing. I sure hope so. While arms companies seem have made good money the last decade plus, the trends in guns have shifted dramatically, and there is stiff competition out there for the likes of Remington standard pistols and rifles.

260 Remington not being as popular as 6.5 Creedmore is a prime example of why Remington is having financial problems. They have a whole lot of confirmation bias up top that's hindering their ability to see the landscape as it is.

That and they have had some fairly substantial quality control issues the past 20 years while all the other manufacturers have really stepped up their QC.

QC issues for sure. What they did with Marlin is just pure tragedy.

First brief range report: Just now getting a little quick range time to shoot it for the first time, though always seems I'm short on time and in a hurry. Let me just say I'm pleased with the results so far, as today when I got zeroed in at 100, I shot 2 (two) three shot sub-moa groups (both about 3/4 inch) at 100 yds, and then had to leave. Next time out I'm going out to 200 yds and get serious about just how good I can get her to shoot. Not bad for an off the shelf rifle, and aftermarket stock, and no other gunsmithing. The only ammo I had was bought due to range reports for this cartridge and barrel length- Hornady 140 ELD- Match (https://www.cabelas.com/product/HORNADY-CUSTOM-MATCH-RIFLE-AMMO/2319128.uts) I do think I'll try to lighten the trigger pull just a bit more.
Question: Will accuracy increase when the barrel is "broken in", or is that a thing?
(I'm sure the limitation of any rifle I have will always be me!)

Barrel break in is one of those things some people swear by. I've never done it and I've never had any accuracy issues.

I’ve never experienced any increased accuracy after shooting a hundred or so rounds from a rifle but there is some very experienced people that swear by it so who knows?

That being said, practice, familiarity with the rifle and a better trigger will improve more than barrel break in.

Reactions: Rulz
I just heard my closest rifle range (new) will let you rent a suppressor (silencer) while there, and also can sell you one and up until you can take delivery, you can check it out to use while at the range.
Have ya'll done something like this before? I thought it was a great idea....

Last edited:
That's a cool idea TCP. I would love to try out different suporessors before buying another.

I'm not real pleased with Silencerco right now. I had an issue with my Osprey45, they pretty much took it back, bent the part into shape, spray painted, and sent it back to me. And they don't give a f*%#. I have emailed and bitched, they simply don't care. It works, I'm glad for that, but they damn sure won't get anymore of my cash.

I had to pry my original box back from them pretty much (call me crazy, but I like having the original box with a serial number on it), and the color scheme of the original Osprey appealed to me when on my HK. Looks like they used Midwest pain flat black. Hell, I could have done that.

Just picked up my Tactical Solution Ascent .22 can yesterday, and hopefully my stamp for my Sig SRD762 will be in over the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT