ADVERTISEMENT

New suppressor

Ok. So to be able to install my suppressor, I have to remove my old brake, clean the threads, and attach the new brake.

072F5E04-385B-420B-80BA-B87B2E1D52BF.jpg

2A955258-2932-4881-B15D-2B08516F2F02.jpg

07EA68A6-74C2-454D-99E1-353C83582DC9.jpg

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
Now that the threads are clean, I have to screw on the replacement brake. This brake has to be timed to function properly and that means the more narrow flat machined into the brake has to be on top and fairly parallel with the ground when in shooting position. It obviously is way off initially.

Included with the brake is a peel washer. It is has 0.003" washers glued together so you can "peel" off one by one to get the exact thickness you need to make it work by heating them up with a lighter and using a razor blade. The brake needs to thread on by hand until it was about 22 degrees or 1/16 from 12 o'clock. Think of it at about 3.5 seconds before noon in this case.

Way off
6D59BBDF-175A-4D36-B668-F5246C2188C4.jpg

What it sort of needed to look like.
B3C652A8-A28D-4D9A-B1E6-6D70E3894580.jpg

Peel washer
EB8CEA7A-5393-471F-B68F-CAEE9519E997.jpg

About right after removing 4 washers
6A613F80-0D25-4733-811D-67C307F16BEE.jpg

Last edited:
Now that the brake is about spaced correctly, I have to use a little red loc-tite on the barrel threads and use a crescent wrench to get the brake positioned properly.

This made me pretty nervous. If I effed this up, I may be in for some expensive fixes if I can't heat the barrel up enough to remove the brake. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned since a steel barrel can be heated pretty hot without harming it, but this one has carbon fiber on it. I don't know if 400 degrees would ruin the carbon.

Anyway, it was no problem. I didn't glob a whole lot of red on there just in case but it will likely hold just fine.

I had to work a little to get the brake positioned right, but it was easy enough. Was mildly concerned the red might set up too fast and lock things down before it was right. It didn't.
1ABFE43E-3CB8-4037-9A04-04A41503411B.jpg

Side view. Not as pretty as the original.
332F7092-1041-4CA0-9D51-53D50DDA24CB.jpg

754FE5AF-1417-429B-963B-66D35F0356BB.jpg

Now the suppressor is able to be attached. It adds about 5" to the rifle. It comes with a 24" barrel so now it is about 29". Not terrible since a 300 Winchester Magnum optimally has about a 28" barrel, and is in fact one of the reasons I chose a 300 WSM over the 300 WM. It's 2" shorter barrel is from the more efficient case design.

One side effect from my FREAKING AWESOME new scope is that the suppressor is in my sight picture in the scope because of its wide field of view. I don't think it will bother me as it's below the ranging portion of the reticle. If it annoys me, I can remove my .885" high rings and put on my 1" high rings, but I'd rather not.
7128C092-71A2-4266-86D9-65877A67F1B8.jpg

BD041167-18C7-46FC-8262-6DE00E1F9EC2.jpg

46DF8DB8-7BAB-4539-B87D-3BA590D1602F.jpg

6C874591-1EF5-49C1-A29C-7F55884E9E8F.jpg

The scope can see the brake without the suppressor even on the rifle so it wouldn't matter too much anyway.

Hope you like the pictures. I'll try to go shoot this week and report.

I did the math slightly wrong on that. My barrel is about 24" but the suppressor only threads about 3/4" onto the barrel. The rest is on the brake. The barrel length is about 30" now with the suppressor attached. Still not terrible.

Absolutely awesome

Looks like a Christensen barrel

It is. We're supposed to have very light winds Thursday so I am packing my car in the morning for some range trips this week. Can't wait to get shooting.

So I was able to get 6 rounds down the pipe briefly this afternoon. 3 with the suppressor and 3 with only the brake.

First impression is that the recoil has increased a lot relative to brake only but the muzzle blast is so diminished that it more than off sets the increased recoil. And the recoil isn't uncomfortable. It appears the blast is the more disruptive of the two.

I will get more time tomorrow and will know a little more.

Reactions: shortbus
FYI- previously I would wear out by round 20 or so with the brake. It will be very interesting to see how long I last with the suppressor. I think it will be less fatiguing to shoot with the suppressor

So last night as my sick son cried in bed next to me keeping me awake, I tried to think of a good way to explain the way muzzle blast and recoil affect the shooter. After listening to my screaming son, I came up with it.

Think of shooting a gun as driving a car. The larger the ammunition, the bumpier the road. The louder the bang, the louder the radio. So, if you're going down a very bumpy road with the radio freaking screaming, you get very tired very fast (very large caliber rifle knocking the snot out of you every shot with a muzzle brake that helps a little but makes the gun very loud). If you get on a very smooth road but the radio is still very loud, it's better but not by much (rifle with a muzzle brake). On the other hand, you can be on a very bumpy road with the radio at a pleasant level or off and everything is tolerable for a lot longer (bigger caliber rifle, suppressed). Now, get on a smooth road with the radio down or off and you can go for hours (light caliber, suppressed).

That's very similar to what shooting the 300 WSM with the suppressor is like. It picked up the recoil impulse pretty dramatically relative to the brake only. But the recoil is just so non-bothering if you don't have the accompanying muzzle blast. That shock wave is dramatic and uncomfortable.

I honestly believed that the recoil would be less than it is. I was led to believe that it would be higher with the suppressor, but I thought it would be a mild difference. It is a definite, noticeable increase, but it's just so irrelevant compared to the muzzle blast. Its like someone gave you a hard shove in the shoulder. Annoying but tolerable.

To be fair, my right index finger hit the front of the trigger guard hard enough to hurt the first time I pulled the trigger with the suppressor. I shoot pretty relaxed on the table when trying to shoot for groups, and I had to stiffen up my position so the rifle didn't jump so much with the suppressor.

I'm going out after lunch today to shoot a little more so I'll have more information tonight or tomorrow.

So, my new scopes rock. My new suppressor rocks. Some pics from the day. All groups are 3 round groups besides the 22LR because of time and expense.
4B46670A-1376-49E0-B3B9-98F88722E1DC.jpg

AF8BDF26-3181-45EE-82F3-03A23983B3C6.jpg

FD66BB04-EA98-4AD8-B2B5-127C6A6E110D.jpg

C6CAE06A-3198-4892-A82B-66762A031422.jpg

D1556D0B-728C-4E8F-97FE-93FFD70FD7B3.jpg

This is before and after with the suppressor. The top 5 shots are without the suppressor. Ugly group which is why there are 5 rounds. The bottom two are after I put the suppressor back on.

517730DD-0FC2-47C0-A634-B770E906146F.jpg

Two 50 yard 22 Long rifle targets without and then with a suppressor, in that order.
90A9306C-4E43-42C1-AABB-A7CD03BF5B41.jpg

12B9A8BD-59E6-4D7C-AEA7-1DD473D25ADD.jpg

Reactions: shortbus
Very nice! That thing will shoot. What's the theory about the suppressor helping make better groups? (aside from the muzzle blast bothering the shooter,.... is it improved barrel harmonics? )

I don't think the 5 shots without the suppressor are indicative of the rifle's capabilities without the can. Rather, I think I shot poorly. I have two boxes of Federal Copper's that the rifle loves. I will be shooting some of those and some HSM 185 VLD Match Hunting rounds that it loves too. When I have some time, low winds, etc. I will do more testing. Honestly, I was a little cold and in a hurry when shooting. It was more important to get the rifle sighted or close than test on/off with suppressor.

Technically though, most rifles should shoot a little better with a can. When the bullet leaves the barrel, that change in environment is very turbulent. The can slows that explosion down and smooths the transition from barrel to environment allowing for more accuracy. But let's be real. It isn't butt ugly to 1/2" MOA. It's incrementally better like .75 to .67 MOA, and the absolute accuracy gains drop as the rifle's accuracy increases. So you might go from .75 to .67 or .25 to .23. There's too many top shooters in the world shooting without suppression for it to be THAT big of a deal.

Reactions: Rulz and dtspoke
My browning '06 has the BOSS system, and it is based upon the theory that you move the muzzle brake to a point (by screwing it in or out) that best "harmonizes" the vibrations of the barrel with a specific load. I think the theory is cool but like you said, how much difference at practical ranges or for most loads might it make? I felt way back when trying to get it tuned in, it might have made a 1/4 inch or even a 1/2 inch difference in groups at 100 yds. It wasn't a highly controlled scientific experiment so I would take that would a big grain of salt. I did finally get it to shoot moa (or 1 inch groups), which is better than I expected.

Well, I started down the suppressor trail. Started the purchase of an Silencerco Osprey 45 that I can use with my HK USP9 and Colt 1911s. So...the wait begins. If the bill passes, I will get the money back on the $200 tax stamp, and my suppressor will soon follow. If not...I get to wait the 8 months or so for the bs. It would be a wait anyway, so at least this way I have the process started so I can be first in line, since I'm sure they would be flying off the damn shelves, perhaps a significant price increase.

Who knows, I just want to shoot quietly...

I bought a SandmanL for my 300wsm and submitted my trust paper work about 3 weeks ago. Now I wait about 7 more months until I can take possession.....

I just looked today and my tax stamp payment went through...I see the wait times online, but I figured it would take longer than that. So, after the payment goes through, does that mean it's approved? I'm assuming this is where the wait comes in...this is my first time buying a silencer, so I am not familiar with what usually happens. Just wondering what others experiences have been as far as how long it takes for the paperwork to get back to the dealer after the tax stamp is paid.

....never mind...just looked this up a little more.

I'll have a birthday and a whole new set of blood cells a couple times over before I have my suppressor in my hands.

How long did it take your tax payment to get cashed (I sent a check)?

The purchase and paperwork was sent on the 28th of February...payment went through yesterday.

If you went to the silencer shop, they can't process payment and turn in your paper work to the gov until they have a serial number for your suppressor. One of mine was out of stock and I had to wait 3 months to get it. The other processed in about 3-4 weeks.

After I had the payment processed and the paperwork was at the gov, about 6 months on the first but 10 on the 2nd one.

I had been told 6 months start to finish and the first one was ended up about 9 months total. The 2nd one was 12 months but I had to wait 3 months for the suppressor to be built then the silencer shop sat on my application for 4 months for some reason. I read online the silencer shop turned in hundreds of applications in late July last year and mine was one of them. It's really odd, but they did. They backed the ATF up for months.

I ordered my suppressors the first week of January 2016.

I was kinda hoping for a miraculous turnaround time...but, at least I know it's all started. And I bought a kit for mine from Silencerco today. My silencer is siting at the store...I actually put it on my gun to see what it looked like. Once the paperwork is done, they will call and I'll go pick it up...

Yeah. "Here it is. Sure, you can thread it on your barrel. Looks good. We'll call in 6 months."

The gun store I was at mentioned something about things speeding up possibly, but I doubt it.

I have REALLY bad luck when it comes to things like this. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have some "error" and it comes back and I have to do something else, or they spell my name wrong, or they get my numbers wrong, or someone drops a cream filled donut on my application....or a dog in the office shits on it and then eats it....

The last one actually happened to me once when I left a payment for a rent house back in the day...

The gun store I was at mentioned something about things speeding up possibly, but I doubt it.

I have REALLY bad luck when it comes to things like this. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have some "error" and it comes back and I have to do something else, or they spell my name wrong, or they get my numbers wrong, or someone drops a cream filled donut on my application....or a dog in the office shits on it and then eats it....

The last one actually happened to me once when I left a payment for a rent house back in the day...

"Yea, just one little felony can really slow the process down" ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT