ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Picklo certified for OU weighing btw 184.1 - 197. So making 197 isn't a problem and 184 is a possibility.

Also, I don't see Keegan Moore on the roster. He was one of their announced transfers.

OU has had 2 AAs during the Rosselli era, Demas is 2019 & Woodley this year.

It is utterly crazy when you actually start looking at the results of the Rosselli era. Outside of the freak Big 12 tie there is simply nothing. I think Demas and Woodley and are really, really good wrestlers. I don't think they are nearly as good as they could be (or were projected to be).

It is utterly crazy when you actually start looking at the results of the Rosselli era. Outside of the freak Big 12 tie there is simply nothing. I think Demas and Woodley and are really, really good wrestlers. I don't think they are nearly as good as they could be (or were projected to be).
Took a look at Rosselli's first recruiting class. Flo had it as #6.

Woodley #18
Tanner Litterell #22
Mantanona #31
Demas #43

Woodley is very good. Mantanona & Demas are dangerous, but it doesn't seem like they've progressed much. Guys usually avoid the positions they're good in. And Litterell retired due to injuries unfortunately.

Took a look at Rosselli's first recruiting class. Flo had it as #6.

Woodley #18
Tanner Litterell #22
Mantanona #31
Demas #43

Woodley is very good. Mantanona & Demas are dangerous, but it doesn't seem like they've progressed much. Guys usually avoid the positions they're good in. And Litterell retired due to injuries unfortunately.

Man I thought Demas was a lot higher than that. His results are probably right inline with is ranking but after I saw how he looked early I thought he would have had more success up to this point. Still a very good wrestler.

I'm not downing Woodley either. Think he is really good. Just think he would have more than 1 AA at this point. But like has been said 197 is loaded. He had a bad record last year but all his loses were to good guys.

In 4 NCAA tournaments his best finish is 24th….

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Man I thought Demas was a lot higher than that. His results are probably right inline with is ranking but after I saw how he looked early I thought he would have had more success up to this point. Still a very good wrestler.

I'm not downing Woodley either. Think he is really good. Just think he would have more than 1 AA at this point. But like has been said 197 is loaded. He had a bad record last year but all his loses were to good guys.
I thought Demas was higher too. He seems to be pretty much the same wrestler he was in HS. Big throws, but not much with leg attacks or on the mat.

Woodley is very good, but I guess a case could be made that he's been passed by somewhat by lower ranked HS recruits. Guys like Noah Adams, Tanner Sloan & Stephen Buchanan. He did have a very good Nationals this year, so it will be interesting to see how he follows up.

AJ is on a different athletic level than Pickle at ou. Not even close

this is my opinion but it’s much closer than you think. Tate is very athletic, strong and flexible. He reminds me of dake. He can be light on his feet with great scrambling ability

this is my opinion but it’s much closer than you think. Tate is very athletic, strong and flexible. He reminds me of dake. He can be light on his feet with great scrambling ability
With the way folkstyle is wrestled, an intelligent wrestler can keep things close against a great wrestler. I think Picklo can keep it close. Breaking through and being able to get the couple of TDs it will take to beat AJ, he’ll have to prove that.

I agree Picklo is very athletic, flexible & an excellent scrambler. But how does he score on AJ?

IMO Picklo's offense is limited, so he won't be able to get a takedown (AJ only gave up 2 this year). And he won't be able to ride him, because no 197 can ride him (he's too strong). And we saw this year that AJ can ride the top 197s.

The best offense against a great scrambler is a blast double. No ankle diving or splits can stop it. I just don't see a path for him to win.

AJ has a rare talent in he mentally he believes in himself 100000% and he never stops working

My hope is that mentality is highly contagious in the wrestling room. Has to be right?

Yeah, I don't see how you have someone like AJ who works that hard, is that confident and has the success to back it and it not rub off on guys. AJ showed these guys what needs to happen to win it all.

I remember reading a story on one of our older wrestlers last year ( Geer??) and when asked about AJ he said, “AJ and Plott are different. They come to the room and work harder than anyone there during practice and then they leave. Both want to improve each and every day”.
That is a paraphrased remembrance from last spring. I hope AJ and Plott’s desire to succeed rubs off on the entire room.

AJ Heeg to OU. Willie has him #31 overall for 2023.

Flo doesn't have him on their Big Board, but their rankings aren't very good at this point.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
KJ Evans to OU, class of 2023. Won NHSCA Soph Nationals and was a Fargo runner-up. Big upside.

A few months back, Ok_Longhorn posted the 2022 guys that had OSU on their school lists. I remember Aiden Riggins (160) & James Rowley (170) being a couple of them. Anyone know if we're still recruiting them?

Willie has Rowley #17 projected to 184 and Riggins #34 projected to 165. 165-174 could be need weights depending on where Anthony Ferrari ends up.

A few months back, Ok_Longhorn posted the 2022 guys that had OSU on their school lists. I remember Aiden Riggins (160) & James Rowley (170) being a couple of them. Anyone know if we're still recruiting them?

Willie has Rowley #17 projected to 184 and Riggins #34 projected to 165. 165-174 could be need weights depending on where Anthony Ferrari ends up.
If I remember correctly, Rowley has taken officials to Purdue, Oregon State, and Va Tech. Navy, Cornell, and Wisconsin round out his top 6.

Riggins has been to Michigan and Purdue, but if i ever saw his list, I have lost it from my feeble mind.

Reactions: Wrassler17
If I remember correctly, Rowley has taken officials to Purdue, Oregon State, and Va Tech. Navy, Cornell, and Wisconsin round out his top 6.

Riggins has been to Michigan and Purdue, but if i ever saw his list, I have lost it from my feeble mind.
Ok_Longhorn said the lists came from Willie. Was thinking with Bouzakis out, we might have some $ still available for the 2022 class.

Riggins is very good. I saw he took those 2 official visits recently. He beat John Wiley at Junior Duals and then took 2nd at Fargo. He would be a good get for 165/174.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Watched the Riggins match with Wiley in person standing next to lookleft. Great match and Riggins was ahead 4-4 on Criteria when Riggins got a takedown with 1 second on the clock which made it 6-4 Riggins and he lost the challenge to make it 7-4. He is very good and would love to have him as a Cowboy but have no idea where he is going. Maybe lookleft has an inkling.

Watched the Riggins match with Wiley in person standing next to lookleft. Great match and Riggins was ahead 4-4 on Criteria when Riggins got a takedown with 1 second on the clock which made it 6-4 Riggins and he lost the challenge to make it 7-4. He is very good and would love to have him as a Cowboy but have no idea where he is going. Maybe lookleft has an inkling.
James Rowley is another great recruit. Watched him wrestle Alex Facundo and he lost by 4-3 dec. on late takedown. He took 2nd in the Cadet Worlds in August at 80kg which is around 171 pounds.

James Rowley is another great recruit. Watched him wrestle Alex Facundo and he lost by 4-3 dec. on late takedown. He took 2nd in the Cadet Worlds in August at 80kg which is around 171 pounds.
The last wrestler I remember from Iowa was Paul Martin 1975-78. I admit however my memory is faulty but if true this would be a modern era first to get Rowley. Coos Bay is 137 miles from Crescent Valley, Oregon and both are on the Pacific coast in the southern part of the state so we have a connection slightly as Witlake is from Coos Bay and Riggins from Crescent Valley.

The last wrestler I remember from Iowa was Paul Martin 1975-78. I admit however my memory is faulty but if true this would be a modern era first to get Rowley. Coos Bay is 137 miles from Crescent Valley, Oregon and both are on the Pacific coast in the southern part of the state so we have a connection slightly as Witlake is from Coos Bay and Riggins from Crescent Valley.
We have (or had last year) an Iowa wrestler on the roster in Jarod Kadel. Also, Brandon Mason would have been on the team in '05-09 maybe?

We have (or had last year) an Iowa wrestler on the roster in Jarod Kadel. Also, Brandon Mason would have been on the team in '05-09 maybe?
I believe Kadel is still on the roster. I think Julian Fekert was also from Iowa. He started @ 141 for a while before Collica came out of redshirt.

Listened to a Riggins interview. He said when he first started wrestling he watched John's technique CD. Also named John & Gable as his biggest idols growing up. Interesting that he didn't mention Sanderson, which a lot of these young guys usually say.

I hope we keep recruiting him. Injuries kept him from potentially getting a couple of big win against top competition this summer.

OU can have Heeg but getting Evans was a loss for us.

He posted about a week ago that OU gave him his first D1 offer. That was before Bouzakis committed, so maybe $ was tied up? But he also posted that he's wanted to go to OU for a long time, so who knows.

Very explosive, I've seen him blow thru guys with upper & lower body stuff.

Should be getting some very good 2022 recruiting news soon.
I like very good news better than good news. We don't need depth at this time we need 1 more real good wrestler. In this class we have 1 real star Ferrari, we have 1 guy who has the potential to be a star Blankenship at 133. The younger Sheets is probably depth but you never know.

He posted about a week ago that OU gave him his first D1 offer. That was before Bouzakis committed, so maybe $ was tied up? But he also posted that he's wanted to go to OU for a long time, so who knows.

Very explosive, I've seen him blow thru guys with upper & lower body stuff.
He is explosive with throws but will he be like their 41 whose main weapon is throws and that has limited his success.

He is explosive with throws but will he be like their 41 whose main weapon is throws and that has limited his success.
Harley, I know what you're saying, but he's got better stuff than Demas. Watch his Fargo matches, he gets to legs too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT