ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Well….damn.

I mean I think we all knew he was a lock if John wanted him. The whole family are biiiiig OSU fans. I just hoped John might look elsewhere and that’d leave a door open for OU. He’s a legit elite guy with his athleticism. He’ll be a 3x Oklahoma state champ and would be a 4x’er if he hadn’t been injured his sophomore year.

About 2 and 1/2 years ago Zach beat Rocco Welsh at 115 in the Tulsa finals 5 to 2. Welsh is rated 4th at 170 with Flo. A couple of years ago he would hurt kids when he put his legs in he was so dominant on top. I think top wrestlers just wrestle and so kids passed him but hopefully now he will jump levels since he has not focused just on wrestling.
Are you talking about Blankenship when you say kids passed him? 2 state championships (missed 2020 due to injury) doesn't seem as though he has dropped too much. I agree he will jump with focus.

Are you talking about Blankenship when you say kids passed him? 2 state championships (missed 2020 due to injury) doesn't seem as though he has dropped too much. I agree he will jump with focus.

He only fully focuses on wrestling about 3/4 months a year. He is very bought in and focused on playing football. Loves it and wants to maximize what he can while he can still play. It also puts him in a tough spot weight wise in terms of wrestling.

He has been very nationally relevant and regionally dominant with the above. I think he will jump significant levels in college.

Blankenship's ranking is hurt because he hasn't wrestled a lot of national competitions recently. He's currently ranked #66 on Flo's 2022 Big Board. But he was as high as #28 before going 4-2 at a tourney last July. That tourney was the first event coming out of the Covid lockdowns and the results were all over the place. For example, top 10 PFP Caleb Henson also went 4-2 at that tourney, but he held his ranking because he won Super32 a few months later (Blankenship didn't wrestle).

Harley mentioned Blankenship beat Rocco Welsh a couple of years ago. Welsh is #3 PFP on the 2023 Big Board. He also beat Vincent Robinson in that tourney. Robinson is #13 for 2023.

As others have said, Blankenship has got a huge upside.

Reactions: JAY45
Yes he is still doing good but as a freshman I think he pinned or majored everyone at State and last year he had close matches I believe in the semi's and finals. I hope he does become a Johny Thompson

Reactions: CowboyUp61
I wouldn’t be surprised after a redshirt year if Carter could get to 149 . He has big frame I think his future in freestyle is at 65 KG

Agreed. I really think he is a 141 this year if he went right away. Good height and frame.

Reactions: turfpoke
I wouldn’t be surprised after a redshirt year if Carter could get to 149 . He has big frame I think his future in freestyle is at 65 KG

So what’s the story, why wasn’t he here in the first place?
I believe he was not recruited strongly by us because 8 months ago he was not near the prospect he is at this time. When he was a freshman he was looking like a superstar at 106 or 112. He got bigger and did not develop a heck of a lot and maybe his sophomore year he got beat at State by freshman John Wiley. He was a good wrestler but not great but during his senior year he started jumping a level and then this summer he jumped another level and he is elite ( how in the world could he beat Seth Gross) but he beat Gross and several other senior high quality wrestlers including getting a takedown against Daton and took 3rd at senior trials. We then really wanted him and that is what he wanted. That would be my theory what happened. Also early this year in high school Jordan Williams dropped to 138 and beat Carter in a close match.

Reactions: Cypresspoke
I believe he was not recruited strongly by us because 8 months ago he was not near the prospect he is at this time. When he was a freshman he was looking like a superstar at 106 or 112. He got bigger and did not develop a heck of a lot and maybe his sophomore year he got beat at State by freshman John Wiley. He was a good wrestler but not great but during his senior year he started jumping a level and then this summer he jumped another level and he is elite ( how in the world could he beat Seth Gross) but he beat Gross and several other senior high quality wrestlers including getting a takedown against Daton and took 3rd at senior trials. We then really wanted him and that is what he wanted. That would be my theory what happened. Also early this year in high school Jordan Williams dropped to 138 and beat Carter in a close match.
Didn’t get to watch but it looked like Jordan dropped a close one last night.

I like him better at 133-141 because Voinovich and Travis Mastro's best weight is probably 149 especially down the road. Voinoch was 145 as a freshman in high school and likely only moved to 152 his senior year so his freshman little brother could wrestle 145. I would think the cut to 141 this year that Wrassler has talked about for Travis is tough but that would just be a guess. It will be interesting to see how Boone develops at 157.

Flo had an interview with Carter Young after the WTT. He said 141 was probably his weight once he starts lifting, which he hasn't really done before. Also, something interesting about Travis Mastro is that he not only certified in August, he actually made 141 scratch. That's pretty unusual.

Voinovich certified weighing between 157.1 - 165, so he's likely perfectly sized for 149.

What will be Carter’s competition for a starting spot this year and how likely is he to win it? Taking into account that there is a difference between freestyle and folkstyle, is he as strong in folkstyle as he is in freestyle?

Wishful thinking but Would love to get a Kennedy or Howe to come in for a year or so to help coach. (I know we are great there but iron sharpens iron)

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT