ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

All good points, plus with the lack of RTC angle mentioned earlier Wick may not be the ideal fit for Oklahoma State. Would give them a heck of a middleweight lineup for a year though and let Plott redshirt.

Wick at 165 or 174 would make a lot of sense for us. My only concern is that he wants to do freestyle, so you'd think he's also looking at the RTC angle.
Maybe if we get him he could transition to coaching and take over the spot that Alex Dieringer was doing and he would be a good workout partner. Now I don’t know if he wants to be a coach but it would be awesome!

This is why I don’t get to upset about high school tournaments, off season tournaments, etc. We’ll find out what they are made out of once they spend some time in the room.

Was probably coming at some point. It looks like Mastro will and can hold 125 for a bit longer.

Good kid and good future. Does free up some scholarship money for more needed weights.
Why would he be on scholarship $s?

Max Dean to PSU. Mineo mentioned that as a possibility a few weeks ago.

He's also saying Wick to Cal Poly, where his younger brother just committed.

...check that, he's now saying PSU also a possibility for Wick.

Last edited:
You don’t think Burk’s was on any level of scholarship dollars here?

Yeah, I can't imagine Burks wasn't getting money. He was a pretty decent recruit with a lot of options. Might not have been big time money but he had to be getting something.

Reactions: osu2082
Max Dean to PSU. Mineo mentioned that as a possibility a few weeks ago.

He's also saying Wick to Cal Poly, where his younger brother just committed.

...check that, he's now saying PSU also a possibility for Wick.
Mineo throws sh1t at the wall, and some occasionally sticks.

You don’t think Burk’s was on any level of scholarship dollars here?
I suppose its possible but my question was why? I'm assuming Mastro was the big recruit, already have Witcraft and Fix at 125/133 so why would you spend scholarship money (maybe other $s) on a backup the same age and weight as Mastro vs other places where scholarship is needed?

I suppose its possible but my question was why? I'm assuming Mastro was the big recruit, already have Witcraft and Fix at 125/133 so why would you spend scholarship money (maybe other $s) on a backup the same age and weight as Mastro vs other places where scholarship is needed?
My thinking is they weren’t sure who was going to be better between Mastro and Burks so they offered both money and now they can reallocate the money to Mastro or other weights and Burks can get in the lineup somewhere win win for everyone.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
My thinking is they weren’t sure who was going to be better between Mastro and Burks so they offered both money and now they can reallocate the money to Mastro or other weights and Burks can get in the lineup somewhere win win for everyone.
Yeah ... well ... maybe ... but it would be very rare to spend scholarship money on two guys the same class and the same weight. Less than 10 full scholarships even if giving out halfs probably still not going to do that unless you think they might end up as starters at different weights.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
Yeah ... well ... maybe ... but it would be very rare to spend scholarship money on two guys the same class and the same weight. Less than 10 full scholarships even if giving out halfs probably still not going to do that unless you think they might end up as starters at different weights.
Burks and Mastro signed before the free year was given so they could of played the redshirt game and still could of one of them would have just been out of the lineup for 1 year. Maybe this is a sign that fix is going to take his extra year or at least I hope.

I think they thought Burks was going to grow.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn

Mastro was always (and maybe still is) projected to grow beyond 125. There was some question if he would ever be at 125 during his recruitment. Now it looks as he may hang there for another year.

Burks was a high level national recruit who appeared to be a long term solution at 125.

I would be very surprised if he wasn’t on decent scholarship money.

Wonder if the coaches step up their pursuit of Joey Cruz now. After Daton finishes up, Mastro could go 133 and Cruz could take over at 125.

Wonder if the coaches step up their pursuit of Joey Cruz now. After Daton finishes up, Mastro could go 133 and Cruz could take over at 125.
I heard several months ago that we were in the race for Cruz. It would work out nicely with Cruz having 1 more year of high school.

Cruz would be a huge get. He has beaten Richie Figueroa who is the top 125 prospect in his class. I think Joey Cruz is one of the best fits in 2022 and He’s the top guy that’s going to be a career 125 in his class.

Reactions: DPJ
Matscouts came out with there recruiting class rankings and we came in at #6. They said we have the high end potential with Voinovich and Mastro and think Voinovich with be a great starter in due time. Willie didn’t like that Mastro and Haas didn’t wrestle this past season but said they had high potential. Was concerned with were Haas fits in with a logjam at 197. (Personally I think Haas fits in at 184 and maybe even 174 early he didn’t look very big when he was wrestling at 86 KG and he was definitely leaned out)

Mineo throws sh1t at the wall, and some occasionally sticks.
Flo just said Penn. St has entered the recruiting of Mendez. The thought that came into my mind could this mean they think we are leading for Bouzakis who is a Pennsylvania wrestler who they thought they would get so didn't recruit Mendez. They came in very late for Mendez.

Flo just said Penn. St has entered the recruiting of Mendez. The thought that came into my mind could this mean they think we are leading for Bouzakis who is a Pennsylvania wrestler who they thought they would get so didn't recruit Mendez. They came in very late for Mendez.
Yeah that makes a lot a sense. On the penn st board they seam to be thinking the same thing.

Reactions: turfpoke
Mastro was always (and maybe still is) projected to grow beyond 125. There was some question if he would ever be at 125 during his recruitment. Now it looks as he may hang there for another year.

Burks was a high level national recruit who appeared to be a long term solution at 125.

I would be very surprised if he wasn’t on decent scholarship money.
The article in Pistol Firing states that at the time of his commitment Jakason Burkes was rated 15 in his senior class and likely was rated higher than Mastro at that time. At National Tournaments I think that he outperformed Mastro. In 2018 he won Greco in Fargo and in 2019 he took 2nd in freestyle and 3rd in Greco at Fargo. I was concerned when he lost in the State finals his senior year which dropped him in the rankings but his scholarship was set before than. I would be shocked if he didn't get a nice scholarship.

Wah? Mendez. Thatz news to me. I hope that happens.

Willie came out with his senior big board
Victor Voinovich #15
Travis Mastro #21
Kyle Haas #38
Teague Travis #143
Cooper Birdwell #183
Talmage Carmen #211
Luke Melcher #215
Also Carter Young is #11
Flo updated their 2021 Big Board (top 100), here's how it compares to Willie's...
Voinovich #12
Haas #18
Mastro #39
Carter Young #19

Willie came out with his new rankings with the seniors not in it.
Nic Bouzakis #1 P4P and #1 at 132
Joey Cruz was #6 P4P and #1 at 120
Anthony Ferrari #12 P4P and #2 at 152
Jordan Willams #19 P4P and #3 at 145
Cael Hughes #3 at 120
Clayton Giddens #14 at 126
Zach Blankenship #4 at 132
Jace Roller #14 at 132
Angelo Ferrari #16 at 145
Jersey Robb #10 at 195
Aj Heeg #12 at 195
Christian Rowland #17 at HWT
Lane Parks #18 at HWT

Willie came out with his new rankings with the seniors not in it.
Nic Bouzakis #1 P4P and #1 at 132
Joey Cruz was #6 P4P and #1 at 120
Anthony Ferrari #12 P4P and #2 at 152
Jordan Willams #19 P4P and #3 at 145
Cael Hughes #3 at 120
Clayton Giddens #14 at 126
Zach Blankenship #4 at 132
Jace Roller #14 at 132
Angelo Ferrari #16 at 145
Jersey Robb #10 at 195
Aj Heeg #12 at 195
Christian Rowland #17 at HWT
Lane Parks #18 at HWT
Sam Smith & JJ McComas aren't ranked I take it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT