ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Watching JUCO national championship Blake Gonzalez last year champ from NEO looking good again this year . Hopefully we can add him for some depth at 141.

Junior Nationals are next week, the winner makes the World team. Does anyone know if our college guys & recruits will be competing?

There's an article on Rokfin that has the current entries, Teague Travis is @ 65 kg, Carter Young, Bouzakis & Mendez are all @ 61 kg. Anyone know about guys like AJ, Anthony, Haas, Surber, Doucet, Burks & the Mastros?

Anthony Ferrari registered @ 70 kg for Juniors. Derek White & Shawn Streck registered @ 125 kg for Seniors.

Also in the under 15 tournament a Ladarion Lockett is wrestling for the Cowboy wrestling Club at 62kg. I seem to remember this name from Stillwater wrestling.
Ladarion won his Greco-Roman bracket pretty easily yesterday. If I’m reading things correctly, he’ll represent the US at the PanAm. He’ll wrestle freestyle today.

Ladarion won his Greco-Roman bracket pretty easily yesterday. If I’m reading things correctly, he’ll represent the US at the PanAm. He’ll wrestle freestyle today.
Just turned to Cadets and watched Roller beat Mac Church 3 to 2 and Voinovich (Cael) win by tech fall. Mac Church is rated 15 at 120 by Flo and Jace Roller isn't rated yet.

Reactions: osu2082 and DPJ
Just turned to Cadets and watched Roller beat Mac Church 3 to 2 and Voinovich (Cael) win by tech fall. Mac Church is rated 15 at 120 by Flo and Jace Roller isn't rated yet.
Also McComas was in a close match and won by pin in the 2nd period. Giddons won by a quick tech fall with a takedown and multiple leg lace turns.

Also McComas was in a close match and won by pin in the 2nd period. Giddons won by a quick tech fall with a takedown and multiple leg lace turns.
McComas 60kg won by decision in round of 32, Hughes 55kg won by tech fall in round of 32. Both Angelo Ferrari 65kg and Voinovich 65kg won by tech fall in the round of 32. Roller 60kg with a quick tech fall in the round of 32.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPJ and tfpoke
Hughes tf Mason Gibson. He really dominated the 2nd period
Yes a big win for Hughes who is in the semi's. Roller got teched in the round of 16 but he has teched 2 guys in the consolation. McComas lost in the round of 16 by tech then won by a tech and lost by a tech in the consolation round. He is out. Giddens is in the semi's with a real comeback decision in the quarters ( nice fight in him). Ferrari was the better wrestler but found a way to lose at the end of the match. He shot a takedown at the edge and went out of bounce to lose a point and with 10 seconds left he got head locked for 2 to lose the match. in the match he came close to scoring several times but didn't finish. Painful loss. Voinovich got beat a by a Manville ( close match) and then 2 tech falls so far in consolation. Jersey Robb won by tech fall and then came up just short in his quarterfinal match 13 to 12. They called a slip on what could have been the winning takedown.

Yes a big win for Hughes who is in the semi's. Roller got teched in the round of 16 but he has teched 2 guys in the consolation. McComas lost in the round of 16 by tech then won by a tech and lost by a tech in the consolation round. He is out. Giddens is in the semi's with a real comeback decision in the quarters ( nice fight in him). Ferrari was the better wrestler but found a way to lose at the end of the match. He shot a takedown at the edge and went out of bounce to lose a point and with 10 seconds left he got head locked for 2 to lose the match. in the match he came close to scoring several times but didn't finish. Painful loss. Voinovich got beat a by a Manville ( close match) and then 2 tech falls so far in consolation. Jersey Robb won by tech fall and then came up just short in his quarterfinal match 13 to 12. They called a slip on what could have been the winning takedown.
Voinovich just won another match by tech fall in the consolations. Jace Roller was losing significantly but puts his opponent on his back and pins him. Robb won by tech fall in his 1st match in the consolations.

I like Robb, he fought hard in his loss being down 12-4, but battled back to almost win in the end. You're right about Ferrari he was the better wrestler in my opinion.

Reactions: osu2082
I like Robb, he fought hard in his loss being down 12-4, but battled back to almost win in the end. You're right about Ferrari he was the better wrestler in my opinion.

Robb is another one who is really impressive. Guy plays multiple sports at a high level so he isn’t full time wresting like a lot of these guys.

Reactions: DPJ
Robb lost to the 220 NJ state champ in that barnburner. That guy is very good, so it shows how much Robb has improved over the past year.

The guy that beat McComas in the R16 was mentioned on here a while back (Coates). He was in KS and ranked #11 PFP in the 2024 class. Was wearing an OSU singlet about a year ago. Looks like he moved to MO.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
NHSCA Nationals are also underway this weekend on Flo. Looking at the brackets, Heritage Hall's KJ Evans is in the soph finals @ 152. Has 4 pins & a major. Pretty impressive.

Robb lost to the 220 NJ state champ in that barnburner. That guy is very good, so it shows how much Robb has improved over the past year.

The guy that beat McComas in the R16 was mentioned on here a while back (Coates). He was in KS and ranked #11 PFP in the 2024 class. Was wearing an OSU singlet about a year ago. Looks like he moved to MO.
Painfully Hughes lost 7 to 6 after having a 6 to 0 lead with 22 seconds left in the match. He gave up the takedown and then got leg laced twice and challenged. I hope that he can come back to take 3rd after this loss. Giddens got beat in the semi's. Voinovich won by tech in consolations and Ferrari beat Manville 8 to 0 (Manville knocked Voinovich out of the championship round). Roller won a close decision in the consolations.

Last edited:
Painfully Hughes lost 7 to 6 after having a 6 to 0 lead with 22 seconds left in the match. He gave up the takedown and then got leg laced twice and challenged. I hope that he can come back to take 3rd after this loss. Giddens got beat in the semi's. Voinovich won by tech in consolations and Ferrari beat Manville 8 to 0 (Manville knocked Voinovich out of the championship round). Roller won a close decision in the consolations.
Ferrari took 3rd with a 7 to 3 win. Giddens took 6th losing 3 straight times today. Roller took 5th with forfeit or something over Coates. Voinovich took 6th getting teched. Robb takes 7th with a pin. At this point and based on this tournament just on their wins and wrestling abilities not just placing Hughes wrestled better than Giddens and Ferrari wrestled better than Voinovich. Hughes took 4th getting beat by Gibson 8 to 0. Hughes was awfully beat up physically and probable mentally after his loss in the semi's.

Ferrari took 3rd with a 7 to 3 win. Giddens took 6th losing 3 straight times today. Roller took 5th with forfeit or something over Coates. Voinovich took 6th getting teched. Robb takes 7th with a pin. At this point and based on this tournament just on their wins and wrestling abilities not just placing Hughes wrestled better than Giddens and Ferrari wrestled better than Voinovich. Hughes took 4th getting beat by Gibson 8 to 0. Hughes was awfully beat up physically and probable mentally after his loss in the semi's.
In the under 15 Ladarian Lockett won the Greco at 62 and in the finals in freestyle won the first of 2 out of 3, by tech.

Reactions: tfpoke and osu2082
In the under 15 Ladarian Lockett won the Greco at 62 and in the finals in freestyle won the first of 2 out of 3, by tech.
Lockett won the 2nd match by decision to be the 62kg champion. Also the guy who came back and nosed out Hughes was the 55kg champ. dang

Ferrari, Roller and Lockett are very much strong leans to OSU.

Giddens isn’t far from that designation as well.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
So are any of these guys future Cowboys?
All of the wrestlers I have been talking about have pretty strong connections to the Cowboys and most of them wrestled for the Cowboy Wrestling Club. I would think 2082 knows and he mentioned 3 strong leans. I would think Hughes would be a strong lean since he wrestles for Stillwater High and Voinovich because his brother is coming to Oklahoma St. Probably depends also on their development in the next 2 or 3 years and the Cowboy needs weight wise. Of course Carter Young did not sign with the Cowboys (Northwestern). So time will tell. Also they are all young and would not have committed yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler17
Speaking of recruiting targets, I saw that Zach Blankenship received offers from Little Rock & Oregon St.

Also...Vince Bouzakis took 3rd @ 57 kg in U15 freestyle and 1st in greco.

Evans won NHSCA Nationals.
Wrassler you are right I watched the finals match where he had a close win over a kid who won state in Pennsylvania as a freshman ( so a very good opponent). He is very strong, quick, explosive but very wild also. You are right he has the potential to be great and could be a top recruit in a couple of years if he develops( very dependent on throws).

Reactions: Wrassler17
Wrassler you are right I watched the finals match where he had a close win over a kid who won state in Pennsylvania as a freshman ( so a very good opponent). He is very strong, quick, explosive but very wild also. You are right he has the potential to be great and could be a top recruit in a couple of years if he develops( very dependent on throws).
Of all the wrestlers with Oklahoma ties I think Hughes has the best potential. In his semi-final match he dominated until the very end. He was injured twice in his semi-final consolation match but still won. The first injury looked like a tweaked shoulder but then in a scramble right in front of the table he came down on the edge of it and got a gash in his head which they wrapped but it continued to bleed and even bled later in the 3rd place match. He did not look like the same wrestler after the injuries. IMO, the leg lace should be changed where at least you have to go the other way with it after the first one. Actually, I think it ought to be eliminated as that is not wrestling IMVHO.

Of all the wrestlers with Oklahoma ties I think Hughes has the best potential. In his semi-final match he dominated until the very end. He was injured twice in his semi-final consolation match but still won. The first injury looked like a tweaked shoulder but then in a scramble right in front of the table he came down on the edge of it and got a gash in his head which they wrapped but it continued to bleed and even bled later in the 3rd place match. He did not look like the same wrestler after the injuries. IMO, the leg lace should be changed where at least you have to go the other way with it after the first one. Actually, I think it ought to be eliminated as that is not wrestling IMVHO.
You are right Oberebo if he would not have lost focus in the semi's at the end of the match he could have been a cadet world team member because the guy he was beating easily for the first 3 1/2 minutes of the match ended up winning. I think Angelo Ferrari will end up being the best of those wrestling this weekend but Hughes really rose in my opinion.

A couple of months back I mentioned that our recruit Talmage Carman took a loss (by tech) to another UT guy named Lucas Cochran. At the time Cochran was an Air Force commit, said he wanted to be a pilot. Not anymore. I was looking at Flo's commitment list, Cochran flipped to PSU apparently. He also won NHSCA Nationals a couple of weeks ago. Projects as a 184.

A couple of months back I mentioned that our recruit Talmage Carman took a loss (by tech) to another UT guy named Lucas Cochran. At the time Cochran was an Air Force commit, said he wanted to be a pilot. Not anymore. I was looking at Flo's commitment list, Cochran flipped to PSU apparently. He also won NHSCA Nationals a couple of weeks ago. Projects as a 184.
How many 184 pounders can a team have? I’d like to see how their scholarship money is spread out.

My quest for possible transfer news has led me back to themat, a board I haven't read in years. Nothing about Woods or Bouzakis, but this is kinda interesting. We always wonder about the # of guys on scholly vs walk-ons. Take a look at the disparity at how teams spread $ around (hopefully the info is correct).

Evan Wick is in the transfer portal. I know there were some rumors he might transfer here last year.
He would be an awesome pickup, I think he’ll would fit in really well. We were in the market for a 174 transfer so I think that’s were we’re need to recruit him at

Reactions: DPJ
He would be an awesome pickup, I think he’ll would fit in really well. We were in the market for a 174 transfer so I think that’s were we’re need to recruit him at
Or Wick at 165 and then Wittlake could bump up to 174, seems like 165 is a tough pull for him. How Wick makes 165 is one of life's great mysteries but he's never seemed to struggle making that or 74kg (163) in free.

Or Wick at 165 and then Wittlake could bump up to 174, seems like 165 is a tough pull for him. How Wick makes 165 is one of life's great mysteries but he's never seemed to struggle making that or 74kg (163) in free.
Yeah that’s possible but I don’t like the idea of wittlake going 174 because after he goes 174 I don’t think he would go back to 165 and we would have a hole at 165 because the only person that could go 165 is Anthony Ferrari and I think he needs a redshirt to build into 165 he just went 70 KG (154) for juniors. Also bumping wittlake means after Plott redshirts he would have to go 184 which would bump montalvo out

Reactions: GantryZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT