ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Really surprised Giddens-Butram isn't listed at 113. He went undefeated as a FR and won state without surrendering a TD the entire tournament.

He has a few nationally relevant wins for a young guy. He is one to watch.
There seems to be more than a few omissions that are head scratchers.

Reactions: osu2082
Really surprised Giddens-Butram isn't listed at 113. He went undefeated as a FR and won state without surrendering a TD the entire tournament.

He has a few nationally relevant wins for a young guy. He is one to watch.

I like the kid that he went against in the finals from Edmond north. He’s a freshman and pretty legit as well with a few national wins in the youth level.

Reactions: osu2082
3.2.21 Track Wrestling Update

•106 #18: Sam Smith, Stillwater So. (debut)
•120 #19: Cael Hughes, Stillwater So.
•126 #19: Cole Brooks, Collinsville So.
•132 #19: Zach Blankenship, Bixby Jr.
•138 #4: Carter Young, Stillwater Sr. (ouch)
•145 #1: Cody Chittum, TN So.
•145 #15: Teague Travis, Stillwater Sr.
•152 #1: Travis Mastrogiovanni Sr.
•152 #2: Victor Voinovich Sr.
•152 #7: Jordan Williams, Collinsville Jr. (what?)
•160 #5: Anthony Ferrari, Stillwater Jr.
•195 #1: Rylan Rogers Jr.
•195 #4: Tate Picklo, Sr.
•220 #2: Kyle Haas, Sr.
•220 #14: Jack Kitchingham, Mustang Sr. (debut?)
•220 #15: Emmanuel Skillings, Broken Arrow Sr.

I am pretty pumped about Anthony Ferrari. Mainly because he has that same fire as his brother. Not sure if he is as mentally strong yet but he definitely has the potential to be another good one once he gets to the pokes. The kid lives wrestling and competition. I kind of wish he was a senior this year to add another fire cracker to our lineup like his brother....

I visited with the Ferrari family Sunday afternoon before the finals. Both boys are pumped about wrestling at Stillwater. They think the world of Ethan Kyle and they like the school system. I told them that I can’t wait to get through this covid crap so that I could watch them next year.

Can someone give a run down on our chances with that list? I know we have Mastro and Voinovich committed and Picklo to ou, what about the others? Is Rogers not happening?

Reactions: driad
Yeah but if Chandler was chosen over Joe maybe Sam Smith family gets mad & he doesn’t come here.:rolleyes:
I saw on FLO they had an article on Joey Cruz and his fathers death. The schools listed for him were Iowa St., Little Rock (because of Chandler Rogers and him losing his father when he was still competing), Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Joey is rated number 9 in the 2022 class and this year is the 3rd rated 120. A possible 125 lifer.

V. Voinovich is in the Finals in Ohio he will face Penn commit Evan Bennett. His first round match video above was a D3 commit, his semifinal win was over Alex Garee a D2 commit 4-3.

K. Voinovich lost in the quarters 6-3 to D2 Lake Erie commit Jack Haskin, he has wrestled all the way back to the consi finals where he will again face Haskin. In the consi semis he beat Nate Burnett who is committed to Clarion and is the younger brother of Pitt wrestler Mick Burnett, their family runs a wresting club where they have some dude named Tadaaki Hatta on staff.

V. Voinovich is in the Finals in Ohio he will face Penn commit Evan Bennett. His first round match video above was a D3 commit, his semifinal win was over Alex Garee a D2 commit 4-3.

K. Voinovich lost in the quarters 6-3 to D2 Lake Erie commit Jack Haskin, he has wrestled all the way back to the consi finals where he will again face Haskin. In the consi semis he beat Nate Burnett who is committed to Clarion and is the younger brother of Pitt wrestler Mick Burnett, their family runs a wresting club where they have some dude named Tadaaki Hatta on staff.
Not real impressive for Victor in the semi's. We need Voinovich to be a star. Hopefully his little brother beats the kid who took him out of the Championship bracket early.

Picklo avenged his loss to the Bixby sophomore Jersey Robb in the state finals with a razor close 8-6 win at dual state.

Robb is going to be one to watch.

Reactions: JAY45
Harley,
The kid Victor beat in the semis was 40-0 coming into the tournament, he finished 3rd so his only loss on the year was that one.

If I'm reading the bracket correctly, he beat the 2 & 3 seeds in the consolations, so he must be pretty good.

Jersey Robb weighed in @ 203.8 on full feed in August. If he doesn't get too much bigger, he might fit perfectly taking over for Montalvo @ 184 after a redshirt year.

If I'm reading the bracket correctly, he beat the 2 & 3 seeds in the consolations, so he must be pretty good.

Jersey Robb weighed in @ 203.8 on full feed in August. If he doesn't get too much bigger, he might fit perfectly taking over for Montalvo @ 184 after a redshirt year.

Ohio doesnt really seed. The bracket is based off placing at Districts, the previous week. So the 4 #1 seeds get matched with a different districs #4s, the 2s and 3s match up. The four quarters of the brackets are random....
So, the top 2 guys in the state can both win their districts, and be on same side of the bracket. This was the case with Victor's bracket. Garee was a clear #2 in the state. He was a guy that jumped levels as a junior and senior.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Harley,
The kid Victor beat in the semis was 40-0 coming into the tournament, he finished 3rd so his only loss on the year was that one.
I appreciate the information. I am not able to watch the matches and this wrestler is going to wrestle in college so obviously he is a good wrestler. I have to admit I am hoping that Victor becomes a great college division 1 wrestler. Time will tell.

Picklo avenged his loss to the Bixby sophomore Jersey Robb in the state finals with a razor close 8-6 win at dual state.

Robb is going to be one to watch.
IIRC, didn’t Picklo lose by medical forfeit? Not saying what you said isn’t true, but I got the impression Picklo lost because he dislocated his knee cap in the middle of the match.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
IIRC, didn’t Picklo lose by medical forfeit? Not saying what you said isn’t true, but I got the impression Picklo lost because he dislocated his knee cap in the middle of the match.

Yea he was moving around fine in the first period (I’m sure the knee was an issue) but was down 6-1. I think after a scramble it was 8-2 or very close to that when he hurt it and defaulted out.

K Voinovich did avenge his loss and took 3rd

Of note, Kael was the only freshman in the bracket. One sophomore, and the rest upper classmen
There were 8 guy on the podium.....Kael has now beaten every other guy that was on the podium today. Total he is 9-2 vs the podium guys career. 8-2 in folk, this year. And, he is just a freshman.

1. Euton - Kael teched him in freestyle 2 years ago. Did not get to wrestle him this year in folk.
2. Heard - Kael beat him twice this season.
3. (Kael)
4. Haskin- Kael lost in quarters yesterday, then avenged the loss by beating him today.
5. Burnett - Top ranked guy in state going into post season. Kael lost an early season match 2-1 or 3-2, on a penalty point. Beat Burnett today in consi semifinals.
6. Scavuzzo - Kael beat him twice. Sectional finals and District finals.
7. Hacker- Kael beat him soundly a few weeks ago at Dual-team State championships.
8. Smith- Kael beat today in consi quarters.

Ohio doesnt really seed. The bracket is based off placing at Districts, the previous week. So the 4 #1 seeds get matched with a different districs #4s, the 2s and 3s match up. The four quarters of the brackets are random....
So, the top 2 guys in the state can both win their districts, and be on same side of the bracket. This was the case with Victor's bracket. Garee was a clear #2 in the state. He was a guy that jumped levels as a junior and senior.

Ahh, got it. Was wondering why an undefeated district champ appeared to be the 4 seed.

Voinovich will probably next face Alejandro Herrera-Rondon (OU signee) at the PWC. Herrera-Rondon is a 3x PA champ and won outstanding wrestler this past weekend. Should be a good match if it happens.

Voinovich vs Garee match...

Mission number 1 with recruiting in the near future is to find a top 141. 2082 has mentioned Zac Blankenship and he is an option but he is small and I think would be a 133 (however he could grow an inch or 2 in the next year. If he will stay at 141 a great option would be Real Woods transferring from Stanford. Flo mentioned Michigan as the best fit for him when you combine wrestling with academics. I have mentioned juniors Jesse Mendez or Nic Bouzakis as great options but if we haven't recruited them we would have a lot of catching up to do. We had the Florida wrestler at 141 but he is gone now. We have also mentioned could Voinovich make 141 but that is very questionable. One more option on the roster would be to put weight on Mastro which could happen in 2 years which is I think our 1st chance if wrestling stuff goes well for the team title. 125 would then be Jakason Burks or getting Joey Cruz from California at 125.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
Mission number 1 with recruiting in the near future is to find a top 141. 2082 has mentioned Zac Blankenship and he is an option but he is small and I think would be a 133 (however he could grow an inch or 2 in the next year. If he will stay at 141 a great option would be Real Woods transferring from Stanford. Flo mentioned Michigan as the best fit for him when you combine wrestling with academics. I have mentioned juniors Jesse Mendez or Nic Bouzakis as great options but if we haven't recruited them we would have a lot of catching up to do. We had the Florida wrestler at 141 but he is gone now. We have also mentioned could Voinovich make 141 but that is very questionable. One more option on the roster would be to put weight on Mastro which could happen in 2 years which is I think our 1st chance if wrestling stuff goes well for the team title. 125 would then be Jakason Burks or getting Joey Cruz from California at 125.

I think Mastro will be a 141 at some point in his career.

Gabe Tagg and Adam Busiello are in the transfer portal. They're solid, but as Harley said we need a Real Woods type. Someone that you are confident will AA in 2023. We'll likely be in a dogfight with PSU and Cornell for the team title then, so we'll need points at 141. How about this for a flyer - Jordan Decatur from tOSU? He has struggled big time at 133, but maybe he flourishes at 141?

Recruiting wise, Jordan Williams is questionable. Jesse Mendez would be fantastic, but I haven't heard us connected to him.

Reactions: tom_v31
Cadet freestyle is this weekend and there are many wrestlers to watch for the future. At 55kg is Cael Hughes and Clayton Giddens with Hughes wrestling for the Cowboy wrestling club. At 60kg is Jace Roller and JJ McComas with McComas wrestling for the Cowboy Wrestling Club. Angelo Ferrari is wrestling at 65kg for the Cowboy wrestling Club. Interesting that weight is about 143lbs where he wrestled 152 at Stillwater High this last year. Kael Voinovich is also at 65kg.

Cadet freestyle is this weekend and there are many wrestlers to watch for the future. At 55kg is Cael Hughes and Clayton Giddens with Hughes wrestling for the Cowboy wrestling club. At 60kg is Jace Roller and JJ McComas with McComas wrestling for the Cowboy Wrestling Club. Angelo Ferrari is wrestling at 65kg for the Cowboy wrestling Club. Interesting that weight is about 143lbs where he wrestled 152 at Stillwater High this last year. Kael Voinovich is also at 65kg.
Also in the under 15 tournament a Ladarion Lockett is wrestling for the Cowboy wrestling Club at 62kg. I seem to remember this name from Stillwater wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT