ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Interesting, I got my information from Regionals last week as well. Picklo vs Ferrari would be fun to see! The couple of matches I’ve been able to watch Picklo, he’s been dominant.
Yeah it will be fun for sure. Good luck to who ever can finish a shot. I spoke with picklo so that’s from his mouth. Me personally I think he’s a 184. I’m sure once he gets to OU they will make him see the writing on the wall but at the moment their first priority is getting him there and convincing him later.

Reactions: osu2082
I think OU's plan/hope is Rogers @ 97, Picklo @ 84 and Penner @ 74. Penner is a true freshman out of MO and is pretty good.

From picklo last week @reginols he seems adamant he will be going 197 and loves the chance of competing against AJ Ferrari. I believe he’s a 184 but he has made it know he wrestle better not cutting weight.
He better be careful what he wishes for. AJ teched Robb this summer. Is a superior athlete in IMO.

Reactions: osu2082 and driad
Ahh, did not know anything about the shirts. The coach accused Stillwater peeps of cheering Picklo’s injury and yelling that Picklo is a p***y after he was injured. Would Picklo have won the state championship for Mustang?
Picklo had a torn ACL going into the tournament. None of the STW peeps I was around had anything negative to say. Applauded when he had to be helped off the mat.

Anyone care to take a stab at rating this Stillwater crew in terms of highest ceiling long term? Interested to hear everyone’s opinion...

I would think 149 is the best weight for Voinovich and for Travis Mastrogiavanni. It is likely that 1 will have to cut a bunch of weight and wrestle 141 or 1 gain weight and wrestle 157. These situations have not worked out really well in the past. Hopefully 1 can cut a bunch of weight or grows. To go along with Anthony Ferrari we need a 141 in the 2022 class. Zac Blankenship as 2082 says is an option but I question how effective he would be at 141 because he seems to be a 133 unless he grows some more. Who impressed me the most is JJ McComas who I believed jumped a level this wrestling year to beat several other wrestlers who were significantly better than he was in the beginning of the year. If I remember right he won late after being behind in the semi's and in the finals.

Reactions: tom_v31
Picklo had a torn ACL going into the tournament. None of the STW peeps I was around had anything negative to say. Applauded when he had to be helped off the mat.
I watched him do a standing back flip after player introductions for finals as he was coming off the mat. Not sure you could do that with a messed up knee. just sayin!

I would think 149 is the best weight for Voinovich and for Travis Mastrogiavanni. It is likely that 1 will have to cut a bunch of weight and wrestle 141 or 1 gain weight and wrestle 157. These situations have not worked out really well in the past. Hopefully 1 can cut a bunch of weight or grows. To go along with Anthony Ferrari we need a 141 in the 2022 class. Zac Blankenship as 2082 says is an option but I question how effective he would be at 141 because he seems to be a 133 unless he grows some more. Who impressed me the most is JJ McComas who I believed jumped a level this wrestling year to beat several other wrestlers who were significantly better than he was in the beginning of the year. If I remember right he won late after being behind in the semi's and in the finals.

I think Mastro will have to go 157, but he'll need to put on some good size as you said. He bumped up to 160 twice, against Gallagher at WNO and against Gabe Arnold in a dual. Struggled with the horsepower in both matches.

With Jordan Williams a question mark, 141 right now is probably Teague Travis. Hopefully he's improved some since being in the Stillwater room. Blankenship is a possibility, but he could also end up taking over for Daton at 133.

4x champ Josh Taylor of Shiatook is still uncommitted. I've never seen him wrestle, but maybe he's someone to bring in to compete for 141.

With hindsight, it’s too bad that Carter Young is getting away. It seems he would have been a potential solution @ 141.

With hindsight, it’s too bad that Carter Young is getting away. It seems he would have been a potential solution @ 141.

Really weird deal. The family moved to Stillwater to be around the OSU room and to work with Daton and Derek.

Now an opportunity at an education from NW could easily have been what tipped the scales but there were some rumblings prior to that OSU was out of it for him so who knows.

Reactions: JAY45
Who impressed me the most is JJ McComas who I believed jumped a level this wrestling year to beat several other wrestlers who were significantly better than he was in the beginning of the year. If I remember right he won late after being behind in the semi's and in the finals.

Harley, I saw this on YouTube. It's the end of the McComas final. As you said, he really finished the year up strong for a freshman. Ethan Kyle said he had been 0-4 on the season against his opponents in the semis and finals.

Last edited:
Keeping this momentum going at Stillwater could be the next best thing for recruiting outside of a fully funded RTC. Not trying to be too hyperbolic but it could be a game changer. Having Stillwater be a destination for HS talent where they get college-level coaching would help make up for some of our RTC gaps in recruiting.

Keeping this momentum going at Stillwater could be the next best thing for recruiting outside of a fully funded RTC. Not trying to be too hyperbolic but it could be a game changer. Having Stillwater be a destination for HS talent where they get college-level coaching would help make up for some of our RTC gaps in recruiting.
I could only imagine, OSU is investing into their RTC. They would be foolish not to.

Justin Crutchmer won state in AR @ 160 (younger brother of Kyle & Brian). He might be planning to wrestle for his dad at Ouachita, but if not, he'd be a good pickup for us. Willie has him in the 40s on the soph big board.

Probably depends on what level of recruit he shakes out to be as a senior. If he is among the top recruits in the country at his weight it’s hard for me to see him or his dad wanting him wrestling at Ouachita.

Probably depends on what level of recruit he shakes out to be as a senior. If he is among the top recruits in the country at his weight it’s hard for me to see him or his dad wanting him wrestling at Ouachita.

Agree, but I'm thinking about it from a scholly situation, not the competition. Maybe kids get full rides at Ouachita if a parent is there? Little Rock will probably make a strong play for him also. They should have quite a bit of $ available.

Reactions: osu2082
Looking ahead to the soph class, some local possibilities?...

Sam Smith (definitely possible)
Cael Hughes
Cole Brooks
AJ Heeg (beat Angelo Ferrari)
Crutchmer
Doucet's younger brother (2nd @ 182)
Jersey Robb

Looking ahead to the soph class, some local possibilities?...

Sam Smith (definitely possible)
Cael Hughes
Cole Brooks
AJ Heeg (beat Angelo Ferrari)
Crutchmer
Doucet's younger brother (2nd @ 182)
Jersey Robb
Penn. St. recruiting has been knocked back a little with 3 of their freshmen losing in the pig tails at big 10. Robbie Howard lost to Barrett, Bartlett lost to Blockhus, and Joe lee lost to Maryland ( the only bad loss).

Penn. St. recruiting has been knocked back a little with 3 of their freshmen losing in the pig tails at big 10. Robbie Howard lost to Barrett, Bartlett lost to Blockhus, and Joe lee lost to Maryland ( the only bad loss).

None have been super impressive this year. This will be a tough year for FR making impacts due to the shortened season.

Reactions: tom_v31
Update from Ohio

Kael Voinovich won districts today.
Pin (last night)
Pin (last night)
5-1
8-0

He wrestled the same guy (Scavuzzo) in the finals today, that he did last week in the sectional finals. Scavuzzo only has two losses this season, both to Kael.
So, far, in post season, I dont think Kael has given up an offensive point. This is unheard of, for D1 Ohio, in middle weight for a freshman.
Next week, at State, his main competition will be Nate Burnett of Elyria. They wrestled early in the season and Burnett won 2-1 on a penalty point. They could hit in Semi's or Finals depending on the seeding of the district champs.

Victor Voinovich goes later this afternoon and tonight (split gym for covid precautions.)
As I mentioned in a post above, Victor is 10 levels above the other 152s in Ohio this year. The only guy that gave him a match was the St Eds guy..but that was more due the Eds kid moving backwards for the whole match.
In the quarters last night, Victor his a nasty low single that would make his future coach proud.
Yesterday Victor went:
Pin (0:54)
Tech fall 19-3

Last edited:
Update from Ohio

Kael Voinovich won districts today.
Pin (last night)
Pin (last night)
5-1
8-0

He wrestled the same guy (Scavuzzo) in the finals today, that he did last week in the sectional finals. Scavuzzo only has two losses this season, both to Kael.
So, far, in post season, I dont think Kael has given up an offensive point. This is unheard of, for D1 Ohio, in middle weight.
Next week, at State, his main competition will be Nate Burnett of Elyria. They wrestled early in the season and Burnett won 2-1 on a penalty point. They could hit in Semi's or Finals depending on the seeding of the district champs.

Victor Voinovich goes later this afternoon and tonight (split gym for covid precautions.)
As I mentioned in a post above, Victor is 10 levels above the other 152s in Ohio this year. The only guy that gave him a match was the St Eds guy..but that was more due the Eds kid moving backwards for the whole match.
In the quarters last night, Victor his a nasty low single that would make his future coach proud.
Yesterday Victor went:
Pin (0:54)
Tech fall 19-3

Zeb put one of Victor's matches up on YouTube about a month ago. I saw him hit a couple of low singles. Is that new? I'd seen the sweep and the high crotch before, but not the low single.

Zeb put one of Victor's matches up on YouTube about a month ago. I saw him hit a couple of low singles. Is that new? I'd seen the sweep and the high crotch before, but not the low single.
Yes, as per hitting it in matches.
He developed that elite LHC his sophomore year.
This year, he seems to like to hit a snatch single from an inside tie, and started showing a lightning fast low single.
He also added a roll thru tilt from double boots.

Fresno St's Kyle Parco (mentioned in the Big12 thread) signed with UT Valley back in November. He plans to drop back down to 141. Would've been a nice transfer pickup.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Parco is fun to watch, but with the recruits we are bringing in he is not of that caliber. Money will be tight. As it is said on another thread we need to keep the wrestlers healthy. This season was short, but very intense. Nothing like our coaching staff has ever seen and we also had some bad luck.

Parco is fun to watch, but with the recruits we are bringing in he is not of that caliber. Money will be tight. As it is said on another thread we need to keep the wrestlers healthy. This season was short, but very intense. Nothing like our coaching staff has ever seen and we also had some bad luck.

I'm not sure how good he is, so you might be right. I only watched his 3rd place match @ 149 when he handled a banged up Degen pretty easily. And $ is probably tight right now, I agree.

One thing though, he's a 141 and still has 3 years of eligibility remaining. We need a point scorer at 141 the next 2 years. Especially 2023, which will be our first realistic shot at #35. Of our incoming recruits, probably only Teague Travis can make 141.

I'm not sure how good he is, so you might be right. I only watched his 3rd place match @ 149 when he handled a banged up Degen pretty easily. And $ is probably tight right now, I agree.

One thing though, he's a 141 and still has 3 years of eligibility remaining. We need a point scorer at 141 the next 2 years. Especially 2023, which will be our first realistic shot at #35. Of our incoming recruits, probably only Teague Travis can make 141.
I think we need to go for a star like Bouzakis, Mendez etc. Also you mentioned AJ has some cousins wrestling. I googled and found the picture of the 2 Ferrari families after State. I've written this before but it still is true getting a blue chip recruit is really good but getting a blue chip recruit who has a large family of wrestlers is even better. I think that Bouzakis has a little brother that is good also( Mastro's, Voinovich's and Ferrari"s so far).

Not sure if he would be interested or if it works with our scholarship situation but Parco was so much fun to watch this past weekend.

Not sure if he would be interested or if it works with our scholarship situation but Parco was so much fun to watch this past weekend.
Someone reported on Voinovich's year and I heard Haas is living with his brother in Stillwater. I don't know why he is here instead of his high school in Kansas and has anyone heard anything about young Mastro year after almost getting killed by the Ohio State recruit when he wrestled up a weight at whose Number 1. I once looked at the Blair roster and Travis wasn.t on it? I don't know if Blair is even wrestling this year?

Someone reported on Voinovich's year and I heard Haas is living with his brother in Stillwater. I don't know why he is here instead of his high school in Kansas and has anyone heard anything about young Mastro year after almost getting killed by the Ohio State recruit when he wrestled up a weight at whose Number 1. I once looked at the Blair roster and Travis wasn.t on it? I don't know if Blair is even wrestling this year?

Tyler Caldwell talked about Kyle Haas in a trackwrestling interview. He has some life changes going on right now. As posted by others, Kyle probably grayshirts before they figure out where he fits lineup wise.

Not sure what's going on with the younger Mastro.

Victor Voinovich will be in the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic. He might face an OU commit out of PA. Maybe a bedlam preview.

Mastros wrestling season is about to start. It was delayed due to Covid.

I'm not sure if Mastro is wrestling. Willie has the Blair guys ranked except for Travis. Hopefully he's not injured.

I'm not sure if Mastro is wrestling. Willie has the Blair guys ranked except for Travis. Hopefully he's not injured.

Maybe so. I just saw an article about the top nationally ranked HS wrestler in New Jersey as their season is set to begin and he was listed.

3.2.21 Track Wrestling Update

•106 #18: Sam Smith, Stillwater So. (debut)
•120 #19: Cael Hughes, Stillwater So.
•126 #19: Cole Brooks, Collinsville So.
•132 #19: Zach Blankenship, Bixby Jr.
•138 #4: Carter Young, Stillwater Sr. (ouch)
•145 #1: Cody Chittum, TN So.
•145 #15: Teague Travis, Stillwater Sr.
•152 #1: Travis Mastrogiovanni Sr.
•152 #2: Victor Voinovich Sr.
•152 #7: Jordan Williams, Collinsville Jr. (what?)
•160 #5: Anthony Ferrari, Stillwater Jr.
•195 #1: Rylan Rogers Jr.
•195 #4: Tate Picklo, Sr.
•220 #2: Kyle Haas, Sr.
•220 #14: Jack Kitchingham, Mustang Sr. (debut?)
•220 #15: Emmanuel Skillings, Broken Arrow Sr.

Really surprised Giddens-Butram isn't listed at 113. He went undefeated as a FR and won state without surrendering a TD the entire tournament.

He has a few nationally relevant wins for a young guy. He is one to watch.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER

Why ouch after Carter Young?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT