ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

The Voinovich’s like every other Ohio wrestler will start the post season today, Sectionals this week, Top 4 advance to districts, top 4 advance to state.
Kael is the 3 seed @ 145
Victor is the 1 @ 152

Kael being 3rd seed is strictly due to a mathematical algorithm. If it was by merit, he would have been #1 seed, or maybe #2, since he was in a bracket with another top 145 guy, who got the #1 seed based on undefeated record.

2 weekends ago, Kael beat 3 top-9 ranked Ohio 145 D1 (big school division) in the same day.
He beat:
#5 Landen Hacker (Wadsworth)
#7 Darnai Heard (Cincinnati LaSalle)
#9 Tommy West (St Eds)
-and honestly, I dont remember him giving up a takedown. The only offensive points score on Kael was on a reversal with backs to Heard.

Today:
Kael won 1st two matches by ~1 minute pins
Then won 10-3 in Semifinal
In the finals he beat James Scavuzzo 3-0 (Jr, Medina Highland, #6 in Ohio D1, 26-0 prior to this match).
Scoreless 1st period.
Kael got a ride out in the 2nd.
In the 3rd, Kael got the escape in ~ 30-45 seconds, then got a late takedown on a go behind to seal the victory.

Victor wrestled later (Covid restrictions on # in gym at once, I think).
Bye- pin- pin.
Finals in a few minutes.
Honestly, he doesnt have much competition this year at 152 D1 Ohio.

Edit: Victor was his sectional final by tech fall.

Last edited:
The semi's for possible Cowboys were: Sam Smith by pin at 106, Giddens by major at 113, Hughes by decision at 120. Blankenship had to go into overtime and win 3 to 2, Travis by pin at 145, Angelo Ferrari won 3 to 1 in overtime and Anthony only won 5 to 3 at 160. Nobody lost but a not great round for potential Cowboys. Some real interesting finals later. Smith against Forbes at 106, Giddens against Hollingsworth ( 2 freshman in the finals), Hughes against Owens at 120, JJ Rogers against Cullars at 126 ( Rogers beat Roller in the semi's both freshmen) 132 Blankenship against Escalera, Luton against Teague Travis at 145, 152 Angelo against Heeg and the match of the tournament at 160 Anthony against John Wiley both juniors and highly ranked ( also Cowboy versus Sooner) Anthony won their only match 3 to 1 in overtime. Also Tate Picklo has a pin in 10 seconds and a pin in 23 seconds to reach the finals.
Sam Smith won a state championship against Forbes 6 to 0. Giddens won 3 to 1 in overtime at 113. At 120 Cael Hughes won 5 to 3. At 126 freshman JJ McComas Stillwater won State 5 to 4 in overtime. At 132 Zac Blankenship beat Escalera 3 to 1 in overtime. There finally was domination with Carter Young winning by 1st period pin. He is going to Northwestern. Teague Travis gets a 3rd period takedown to win in the finals 3 to 2. At 152 Angelo Ferrari gets a 3rd period takedown to take the lead but gives up an escape so 4 to 4 so we go to overtime. Angelo loses 5 to 4 to a soph named Heeg. He couldn't get an escape or ride out the double overtime period. Match of the night up next Ferrari vs. Wiley. Ferrari gets a takedown in the 3rd period to take a 3 to 1 lead. Ferrari wins by fall in the 3rd! My belief is Ferrari could have easily made 152 but wrestled 160 to get his brother in the lineup and for the competition.

Last edited:
Cael Hughes (soph from Stillwater) beats the kid going to Air Force from Mustang 5-3 for a state title at 120!

Reactions: JAY45
I know he is young but is Hughes a national type recruit? What about Roller’s son?

Kael being 3rd seed is strictly due to a mathematical algorithm. If it was by merit, he would have been #1 seed, or maybe #2, since he was in a bracket with another top 145 guy, who got the #1 seed based on undefeated record.

2 weekends ago, Kael beat 3 top-9 ranked Ohio 145 D1 (big school division) in the same day.
He beat:
#5 Landen Hacker (Wadsworth)
#7 Darnai Heard (Cincinnati LaSalle)
#9 Tommy West (St Eds)
-and honestly, I dont remember him giving up a takedown. The only offensive points score on Kael was on a reversal with backs to Heard.

Today:
Kael won 1st two matches by ~1 minute pins
Then won 10-3 in Semifinal
In the finals he beat James Scavuzzo 3-0 (Jr, Medina Highland, #6 in Ohio D1, 26-0 prior to this match).
Scoreless 1st period.
Kael got a ride out in the 2nd.
In the 3rd, Kael got the escape in ~ 30-45 seconds, then got a late takedown on a go behind to seal the victory.

Victor wrestled later (Covid restrictions on # in gym at once, I think).
Bye- pin- pin.
Finals in a few minutes.
Honestly, he doesnt have much competition this year at 152 D1 Ohio.

Edit: Victor was his sectional final by tech fall.

Any idea what weight Victor projects to?

We've been trying to figure out what our future lineup might look like.

I know he is young but is Hughes a national type recruit? What about Roller’s son?

He is on that path. He has beaten a few soon to be D1 college signees this year. Roller as a FR is pretty highly regarded. His FR teammate Giddens from Bixby absolutely is.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Older Ferrari pins OU commit Wiley to win the title at 160.

Younger Ferrari lost 5-4 in the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY45 and driad
Older Ferrari pins OU commit Wiley to win the title at 160.

Younger Ferrari lost 5-4 in the finals.
Jersey Robb a sophomore from Bixby is winning 4 to 0 against Picklo in the 1st period. At the end of the 1st period Robb is ahead 6 to 1. Jersey Robb won state with Picklo injury defaulting. Robb finished 24-0. I hope Picklo recovers quickly from whatever his injury is.

So what happened between Stillwater coaches/fans and Picklo? Saw a big rant by a Mustang coach about it.

this might be where the chatter started

Those shirts are so dumb, already building in an excuse for when you lose. Cause I’m sure the Mustang coaches would turn away the Ferrari brothers if they wanted to move there. Since they didn’t “build them up” lol. Sounds like they knew what was gonna happen.

Those shirts are so dumb, already building in an excuse for when you lose. Cause I’m sure the Mustang coaches would turn away the Ferrari brothers if they wanted to move there. Since they didn’t “build them up” lol. Sounds like they knew what was gonna happen.
Basically they are upset because it was there chance to win it . They are going to lose there highly rated seniors . Looks like Stillwater and Bixby are going to be hard to beat in the future.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
I know Robb is only a soph, but does anyone know if he'll go football or wrestling?

Not sure yet. High level kid at both. Probably depends on how big he gets.

His family are OU fans (not diehards) but they are also VERY close to the Giddens and Roller families (big OSU families) and both are big reasons the Robbs moved to Bixby.

Ahh, did not know anything about the shirts. The coach accused Stillwater peeps of cheering Picklo’s injury and yelling that Picklo is a p***y after he was injured. Would Picklo have won the state championship for Mustang?

Ahh, did not know anything about the shirts. The coach accused Stillwater peeps of cheering Picklo’s injury and yelling that Picklo is a p***y after he was injured. Would Picklo have won the state championship for Mustang?
Picklo would have been favored. They met in the finals last year when Robb was a Fr and Picklo won by fall. Robb has improved greatly though and was undefeated.

For Mustang, Bam West was “brought in”. If you are going to wear a shirt like that, you should be squeaky clean yourself.

Reactions: tom_v31 and PoOsKuE

Yeah, Picklo is the real deal. We would have loved to have him. The highest rated kid OU has signed maybe since Ware.

As a Mustang alumni I’ve been rooting for those kids hard. Definitely one of the best teams they’ve ever had. However if you are going to call out another program you better perform better than they did.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Yeah, Picklo is the real deal. We would have loved to have him. The highest rated kid OU has signed maybe since Ware.

As a Mustang alumni I’ve been rooting for those kids hard. Definitely one of the best teams they’ve ever had. However if you are going to call out another program you better perform better than they did.

I think Robb has the athletic potential and ceiling to be in the same neighborhood as Picklo as a prospect if he decides to really give wrestling his full attention. Not sure if he will and not sure how big he will get but he is a special athlete.

I think Robb has the athletic potential and ceiling to be in the same neighborhood as Picklo as a prospect if he decides to really give wrestling his full attention. Not sure if he will and not sure how big he will get but he is a special athlete.

The tiny bit we got to see of the match I was impressed. Don’t know anything about the kid but he was right there. I don’t think either of Picklo’s first two matches lasted more than 30 seconds. Robb wasn’t backing down.

Reactions: osu2082
The tiny bit we got to see of the match I was impressed. Don’t know anything about the kid but he was right there. I don’t think either of Picklo’s first two matches lasted more than 30 seconds. Robb wasn’t backing down.

And I think Picklo is special. Only concern with him is size. Similar to AJ IMO. Needs to be able to hold 197 throughout his college career. I think he can and if he does he is a multiple time NC contender.

Reactions: JAY45
And I think Picklo is special. Only concern with him is size. Similar to AJ IMO. Needs to be able to hold 197 throughout his college career. I think he can and if he does he is a multiple time NC contender.

My only worry about Picklo is the coaching he is going to get. I know I’ve beaten the horse dead but guys simply don’t get better at OU. I think he will be like Demas. Good enough talent to AA but to reach his true NC potential he needs to go somewhere else.

Not expected to wrestle at 197 in college. 174 or 184 is what I was told last week.

Not expected to wrestle at 197 in college. 174 or 184 is what I was told last week.

From picklo last week @reginols he seems adamant he will be going 197 and loves the chance of competing against AJ Ferrari. I believe he’s a 184 but he has made it know he wrestle better not cutting weight.

I would be very surprised if he can make and hold 174 but I can definitely see 184 and that would be great if he can stay at that size range.

From picklo last week @reginols he seems adamant he will be going 197 and loves the chance of competing against AJ Ferrari. I believe he’s a 184 but he has made it know he wrestle better not cutting weight.

Interesting, I got my information from Regionals last week as well. Picklo vs Ferrari would be fun to see! The couple of matches I’ve been able to watch Picklo, he’s been dominant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT