ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

I loved watching Chandler during his career, but are ranking matches not how a spot is earned?
That is true but I did question Smith allowing his son to wrestle off for the spot. Even as a viewer from 100 miles away, I could tell Joe Joe was miserable and his career was in the NICU. His heart was not in it.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Guy in the OU board says Williams is headed to OU. If true don’t get it but at least he won’t be headed to somewhere like Iowa or PSU.

Reactions: osu2082
Guy in the OU board says Williams is headed to OU. If true don’t get it but at least he won’t be headed to somewhere like Iowa or PSU.

The kid obviously has some issues and needs to go where he feels comfortable. Taking that into account and the likely coaching and RTC changes coming to OU, I doubt the Williams saga is over.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
The kid obviously has some issues and needs to go where he feels comfortable. Taking that into account and the likely coaching and RTC changes coming to OU, I doubt the Williams saga is over.

For sure ... it is just crazy to me though. We were on a near 20 year streak of not losing a single big time, instate recruit to OU (Ware was the last one I can remember). Our recruiting is on fire and OU might be the worst they've ever been. This might be the biggest gap between the programs ever. Now they are going to start picking off instate talent from us?

If I'm OU I think I've seen enough out of Rosseli to know I need to move on but if he can bring in Picklo and Williams I don't think you can let him go.

Reactions: osu2082
For sure ... it is just crazy to me though. We were on a near 20 year streak of not losing a single big time, instate recruit to OU (Ware was the last one I can remember). Our recruiting is on fire and OU might be the worst they've ever been. This might be the biggest gap between the programs ever. Now they are going to start picking off instate talent from us?

If I'm OU I think I've seen enough out of Rosseli to know I need to move on but if he can bring in Picklo and Williams I don't think you can let him go.

Williams was never rumored to be all that high on the pokes to begin with. Most pegged him to UNC with Scott and Harding. The OSU commitment came out of the blue.

I think you are looking at a kid with some serious issues. I hope most can be attributed to youth and for his sake, I really hope he grows out of it but you don’t just quit HS wrestling like he did. So this is a weird situation.

The Collinsville stuff doesn’t help but isn’t near the issue some will try to make it.

Williams was never rumored to be all that high on the pokes to begin with. Most pegged him to UNC with Scott and Harding. The OSU commitment came out of the blue.

I think you are looking at a kid with some serious issues. I hope most can be attributed to youth and for his sake, I really hope he grows out of it but you don’t just quit HS wrestling like he did. So this is a weird situation.

The Collinsville stuff doesn’t help but isn’t near the issue some will try to make it.

Makes sense and to be clear I'm not saying there is any type of issue on our end. Just an oddity to me. Both of those kids (Picklo and Williams) are talented as hell and I would have loved to have them but they need some help developing (like 99% of all wrestlers) and there is zero reason to think they will get it at OU.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Makes sense and to be clear I'm not saying there is any type of issue on our end. Just an oddity to me. Both of those kids (Picklo and Williams) are talented as hell and I would have loved to have them but they need some help developing (like 99% of all wrestlers) and there is zero reason to think they will get it at OU.

Of all the times to consider going to OU this wouldn’t be it. Now OU was really smart to go after Picklos older brother in the transfer market and go hard after one of the few OK kids who isn’t a lifelong OSU fan and had been rumored to go out of state.

I still bet one or potentially both don’t finish their eligibility at OU. That program is going to go through some significant changes soon.

I know Williams said he was taking a break from HS wrestling, but I think he's still competing for Collinsville. Not sure what the story is there.

Hopefully the OU rumor is false because he would really help our team title chances. Especially if he ends up at 141. We need all the firepower we can get.

I've said this before, but we need to be almost perfect recruiting wise in order to beat PSU. We just can't afford misses. PSU reloads regardless of their scholly situation...

there were rumors that top 10 PFP Robert Howard might have trouble holding 125 long term, so they flip top 25 Gary Steen from Pitt. Seth Nevills wasn't living up to top 20 PFP expectations at heavy, no problem, they bring in top 5 Kerkvliet (no one transferred out BTW). Another top 20 PFP guy in Joe Lee looks to be scuffling a little bit at 165, fine, they have another top 5 guy in Facundo waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
I know Williams said he was taking a break from HS wrestling, but I think he's still competing for Collinsville. Not sure what the story is there.

Hopefully the OU rumor is false because he would really help our team title chances. Especially if he ends up at 141. We need all the firepower we can get.

I've said this before, but we need to be almost perfect recruiting wise in order to beat PSU. We just can't afford misses. PSU reloads regardless of their scholly situation...

there were rumors that top 10 PFP Robert Howard might have trouble holding 125 long term, so they flip top 25 Gary Steen from Pitt. Seth Nevills wasn't living up to top 20 PFP expectations at heavy, no problem, they bring in top 5 Kerkvliet (no one transferred out BTW). Another top 20 PFP guy in Joe Lee looks to be scuffling a little bit at 165, fine, they have another top 5 guy in Facundo waiting in the wings.
We do need to recruit a top 141 prospect because now this year and for the future we don't have one. Your right Wrassler about Williams, when his high school coach said he could even cut to 132 if he needed to I thought there was our top 141. Someone said we will recruit over him now. About the only way to do that would be to get Jesse Mendez or if he grew a little next year Nic Bouzakis. I don't think I've heard us getting either. Penn. St. as you said is the concern for the future. An example yesterday their red shirt freshman Starocci at 174 beat number 2 Logan Massa and as you indicate their recruiting is lights out. Plott's shoulder problems seem to be a concern for the future especially since he missed all year last year. Yesterday was the same as it has been in general for 10 years we get very few upsets and we get upset a lot. We need to develop our wrestlers better besides continue to recruit well.

Where do people see Voinovich and the younger Mastro fitting in? I had them pegged for 149 and 157, with Williams at 141 and Anthony Ferrari at 165. But maybe they can go 141 & 149 instead?

Voinovich is older for his grade, so I don't think he's getting any bigger. Has been wrestling 65 kg in freestyle, so he would need to cut another few pounds to make 141. Mastro weighed in 3 - 4 pounds light all of last year. I'm guessing he's around mid 150s now on full feed. He doesn't like to cut, but 149 should be pretty easy. For comparison, Seth Gross said he was around 160 when he arrived on campus at SDSU and Wiscy. Made 133 for both of them.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
We do need to recruit a top 141 prospect because now this year and for the future we don't have one. Your right Wrassler about Williams, when his high school coach said he could even cut to 132 if he needed to I thought there was our top 141. Someone said we will recruit over him now. About the only way to do that would be to get Jesse Mendez or if he grew a little next year Nic Bouzakis. I don't think I've heard us getting either. Penn. St. as you said is the concern for the future. An example yesterday their red shirt freshman Starocci at 174 beat number 2 Logan Massa and as you indicate their recruiting is lights out. Plott's shoulder problems seem to be a concern for the future especially since he missed all year last year. Yesterday was the same as it has been in general for 10 years we get very few upsets and we get upset a lot. We need to develop our wrestlers better besides continue to recruit well.

Totally agree about PSU but Stariocci basically fought off takedowns the entire match, didn’t do much and caught Massa (who is a very hot and cold guy) in a roll in the OT session.

Plotts shoulder does concern me. It popped out of socket yesterday and he had to pop it back in place and want the same after.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Where do people see Voinovich and the younger Mastro fitting in? I had them pegged for 149 and 157, with Williams at 141 and Anthony Ferrari at 165. But maybe they can go 141 & 149 instead?

Voinovich is older for his grade, so I don't think he's getting any bigger. Has been wrestling 65 kg in freestyle, so he would need to cut another few pounds to make 141. Mastro weighed in 3 - 4 pounds light all of last year. I'm guessing he's around mid 150s now on full feed. He doesn't like to cut, but 149 should be pretty easy. For comparison, Seth Gross said he was around 160 when he arrived on campus at SDSU and Wiscy. Made 133 for both of them.
You could be right. Travis would have to wrestle 49 because as you said he hasn't gained weight in the last year. He wrestled 152 and likely didn't cut any weight. Voinovich is wrestling 152 but I don't see him at 157 and as you indicated he wrestled 65 at Juniors, so maybe 141. Anthony Ferrari wrestles 160 but he would be a 152 and he cut to 65 for Junior Nationals but at Stillwater high it works best for him and the team to wrestle 160. Anthony might be our 157 in the future after Sheets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler17
State tourneys are kicking off. Talmage Carman won the 6A title @ 195 in UT yesterday. He had a pretty dominating year except for a loss to the 5A champ, Lucas Cochran, in an all star event last month. Cochran is an AF commit, so we'll likely see him down the road against Montalvo or Ferrari.

State tourneys are kicking off. Talmage Carman won the 6A title @ 195 in UT yesterday. He had a pretty dominating year except for a loss to the 5A champ, Lucas Cochran, in an all star event last month. Cochran is an AF commit, so we'll likely see him down the road against Montalvo or Ferrari.
Regionals with Stillwater High= 106 Sam Smith won beating the 1st seed Forbes 5 to 0. 120= Hughes major decision Witcraft 11 to 3. 132= Blankenship won 5 to 1 over Nicholas Stillwater. 145=Travis won 3 to 1 over Hill. Tomorrow the upper weights will wrestle. Nice win by Sam Smith and Hughes getting a major was a nice win,

Any idea if Carman is LDS? A two year mission lines up nicely with our lineup.

Don't know. I'm not even sure if he signed after verballing in November.

We are pretty thin at 184/197 though, especially if Surber goes up.

Last edited:
Regionals with Stillwater High= 106 Sam Smith won beating the 1st seed Forbes 5 to 0. 120= Hughes major decision Witcraft 11 to 3. 132= Blankenship won 5 to 1 over Nicholas Stillwater. 145=Travis won 3 to 1 over Hill. Tomorrow the upper weights will wrestle. Nice win by Sam Smith and Hughes getting a major was a nice win,
Angelo and Anthony Ferrari both won regionals with tech falls in the finals.

Reactions: JAY45
Angelo and Anthony Ferrari both won regionals with tech falls in the finals.

Two young wrelsters to keep an eye on for the future...

Bixby FR Giddens and Roller. Giddens won regionals at 113 and is 23-0 on the year.

Bixby FR Roller took 2nd at 126 and is 19-3 on the year.

Both have OSU ties.

The youngest Ferrari, Angelo won regionals as a FR as well at 152 and is 25-1 on the year.

Jordan Williams won @ 152.

Does anyone know if his teammates are possible targets? Cole Brooks (So) won @ 126 and is 16-1. Cameron Steed (Jr) won @ 132 and is 23-0.

That is true but I did question Smith allowing his son to wrestle off for the spot. Even as a viewer from 100 miles away, I could tell Joe Joe was miserable and his career was in the NICU. His heart was not in it.

I lost my password for a while but want to follow up even though it's probably been talked to death - yes, this felt pretty unorthodox to me. Ranking match, yes, at the end of the season, no.

Reactions: turfpoke

The how did he beat Chandler?

Last edited:
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Maybe he could muster up enough effort to win one match and he was a super slick talented wrestler with loads of potential 🤷🏼‍♂️

If I remember correctly they wrestled more than one match. The timing sucked for sure but it happens. Witcraft is getting a wrestle off with Mastro before Big 12s.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
If I remember correctly they wrestled more than one match. The timing sucked for sure but it happens. Witcraft is getting a wrestle off with Mastro before Big 12s.
Yeah, I can’t help but think that chandler would have gone further into the tournament, and I do appreciate coach Smith’s consistent policy on “whoever wins the wrestle off gets the spot.” Sometimes, it may bite us in the butt

Yeah, I can’t help but think that chandler would have gone further into the tournament, and I do appreciate coach Smith’s consistent policy on “whoever wins the wrestle off gets the spot.” Sometimes, it may bite us in the butt

He probably would of and it was a really tough call but at the end of the day wrelsting is about proving it on the mat and Joe was able to do that. You have to be able to settle things like this on the mat.

What also gets forgotten was that the plan all along was for Joe to come down to 165 with a lively wrestle off coming at the scuffle that year so this wasn’t out of the blue. Prestons injury (which at the time was thought to be season ending) is what threw everything off.

NC State just did the same thing pulling #10 Isaac Trumble for #21 Nick Reenan after they wrestled off for 197.

Cole Brooks Wins first state title.
Jordan Williams wins
The semi's for possible Cowboys were: Sam Smith by pin at 106, Giddens by major at 113, Hughes by decision at 120. Blankenship had to go into overtime and win 3 to 2, Travis by pin at 145, Angelo Ferrari won 3 to 1 in overtime and Anthony only won 5 to 3 at 160. Nobody lost but a not great round for potential Cowboys. Some real interesting finals later. Smith against Forbes at 106, Giddens against Hollingsworth ( 2 freshman in the finals), Hughes against Owens at 120, JJ Rogers against Cullars at 126 ( Rogers beat Roller in the semi's both freshmen) 132 Blankenship against Escalera, Luton against Teague Travis at 145, 152 Angelo against Heeg and the match of the tournament at 160 Anthony against John Wiley both juniors and highly ranked ( also Cowboy versus Sooner) Anthony won their only match 3 to 1 in overtime. Also Tate Picklo has a pin in 10 seconds and a pin in 23 seconds to reach the finals.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT