ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Not real clear on the long term line up plan. Beginning in 2021-22, I was figuring Burks 125, Daton 133 and Mastro/Witcraft battling for 141 (until Daton graduates, then someone dropping down).

I'm sure the coaches have something in mind, but if we are targeting guys like Figueroa & Poulin, I'm not sure how it fits together.

Not real clear on the long term line up plan. Beginning in 2021-22, I was figuring Burks 125, Daton 133 and Mastro/Witcraft battling for 141 (until Daton graduates, then someone dropping down).

I'm sure the coaches have something in mind, but if we are targeting guys like Figueroa & Poulin, I'm not sure how it fits together.
I’m guessing eventually it would go

125: Figs/Poulin
133: Burks
141: Trevor Mastro

Size is a real concern with Poulin. I think he wrestled at 113 at who's Number 1 against Figueroa and was beaten soundly. However my knowing much about Poulin is extremely limited. Most high school wrestlers his size struggle at 125 such as the Ohio St 125 and Kurt McHenry. I would really want Figueroa though for 125.

I’m guessing eventually it would go

125: Figs/Poulin
133: Burks
141: Trevor Mastro

That would be very good for 2024. But how do you get Burks/Mastro/Witcraft in the 2022 & 2023 lineups if they can't make 125. Unless maybe Daton can.

Size is a real concern with Poulin. I think he wrestled at 113 at who's Number 1 against Figueroa and was beaten soundly. However my knowing much about Poulin is extremely limited. Most high school wrestlers his size struggle at 125 such as the Ohio St 125 and Kurt McHenry. I would really want Figueroa though for 125.

He's very good and has excellent reattacks, but size could be an issue. Wrestled 48 kg last summer.

That would be very good for 2024. But how do you get Burks/Mastro/Witcraft in the 2022 & 2023 lineups if they can't make 125. Unless maybe Daton can.

He's very good and has excellent reattacks, but size could be an issue. Wrestled 48 kg last summer.

Im thinking Burks will be a career 125. I know he wrestled up this year, but it seems like 125 should be his weight in college

Reactions: bbpoke
Im thinking Burks will be a career 125. I know he wrestled up this year, but it seems like 125 should be his weight in college

I thought that as well and hope it's still the case.

I think Burks and Figueroa are the top 2 prospects at 125. I like him over Iowa's Ayala & Yianni's little brother at Cornell (regardless of WNO) and I think Howard probably ends up at 133 for PSU.

I thought that as well and hope it's still the case.

I think Burks and Figueroa are the top 2 prospects at 125. I like him over Iowa's Ayala & Yianni's little brother at Cornell (regardless of WNO) and I think Howard probably ends up at 133 for PSU.
Didn’t Burks one time say he didn’t think he’d be a career 125 tho?

Didn’t Burks one time say he didn’t think he’d be a career 125 tho?

He did. Said something about starting out at 125 for a year and then moving up. So maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. I also prefer Mastro at 133 vs Howard rather than at 141 vs Bartlett.

Last year before WNO, Jakason's coach said Burks weighs 122 after practice. So who knows.

Mitch Moore to OU. Help for 141/149 beginning in 2022 is not as pressing if G is still with the team.

Taidon Wills (Triston's brother) committed to Pratt CC tonight. He's a 182 out of KS and was previously mentioned on here as a possible late add for 2020. I guess he's a potential transfer down the road (like Dallas Wilson).

Devin Gomez (teammate of Haas) said his official visit was canceled due to the virus and he's now looking at other options, including JUCO & Little Rock.

Taidon Wills (Triston's brother) committed to Pratt CC tonight. He's a 182 out of KS and was previously mentioned on here as a possible late add for 2020. I guess he's a potential transfer down the road (like Dallas Wilson).

Devin Gomez (teammate of Haas) said his official visit was canceled due to the virus and he's now looking at other options, including JUCO & Little Rock.
I’d honestly like to see him go to Little Rock. He’s be a good recruit for them and he could prolly start there too.

Triston is transferring to Little Rock

Gomez committed to Wyoming. Nice pickup for them.

That might wrap up the 2020 recruiting class then. Jacob Holt, a 138 out of KS, took a visit last fall but I haven't heard any more on him.

If we do have $ for a preferred walk on, I'd like to grab La'stot Pleasant out of TX. He was mentioned by another poster a couple of months ago.

Just googled him too. 37-0 - all by pin - with 34 of them in the first period and no offensive points surrendered. That seems pretty good.

He also looks to have a double leg, which is rare for a heavy.

Just googled him too. 37-0 - all by pin - with 34 of them in the first period and no offensive points surrendered. That seems pretty good.

He also looks to have a double leg, which is rare for a heavy.
He seems to move pretty well for such a big kid. Maybe he can develop a little more once he gets in the room. At least we'll have some depth for the next few years with him, Doucet and Haas coming in.

Reactions: Wrassler17
He seems to move pretty well for such a big kid. Maybe he can develop a little more once he gets in the room. At least we'll have some depth for the next few years with him, Doucet and Haas coming in.
I saw on Flow that Seth did a question and answer article on and with Dustin Plott. He is healthy again after surgery ( shoulder problems) and plans on wrestling in College 174- 184. He indicates Hardell Moore really helped him develop.

I saw on Flow that Seth did a question and answer article on and with Dustin Plott. He is healthy again after surgery ( shoulder problems) and plans on wrestling in College 174- 184. He indicates Hardell Moore really helped him develop.
I thought it was a good interview. Glad to hear he's got a clean bill of health and is ready to roll. I'm excited to watch him go at it now that he's healthy

I thought it was a good interview. Glad to hear he's got a clean bill of health and is ready to roll. I'm excited to watch him go at it now that he's healthy
He wrestled some matches in the summer of his junior year that were not his usual self. A shoulder injury set him back and explains some of those matches one being the Fargo finals against Iowa's 84 this year Assad.

He wrestled some matches in the summer of his junior year that were not his usual self. A shoulder injury set him back and explains some of those matches one being the Fargo finals against Iowa's 84 this year Assad.
Yeah sounds like he's been banged up for a while, excited to see him now that he's healthy

Also Dustin has a fantastic GPA which several of our other recruits also have which is fantastic. These wrestlers probably qualify for a lot of financial aid for Academics and so don't cost us with the 9.9 athletic scholarship money. This is likely part of the reason we can get 2 number 1 classes in a row.

Flo says we are 1 of 8 schools on Luka Wick's list. He's the youngest of the Wick brothers (the other 2 are at Wisconsin).

He's a 145 out of CA, currently #43 on the 2021 Big Board. Flo projects him as a 149/157.

Reactions: derek_state
Flo says we are 1 of 8 schools on Luka Wick's list. He's the youngest of the Wick brothers (the other 2 are at Wisconsin).

He's a 145 out of CA, currently #43 on the 2021 Big Board. Flo projects him as a 149/157.

I believe Wisconsin is not on his list neither is Iowa or Penn State.

MARKUS SIMMONS
  • WEIGHT

• CLASS

Redshirt Sophomore
  • HOMETOWN

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
  • HIGHSCHOOL

Broken Arrow

Couple of recruiting notes...

Poulin committed to NCST yesterday.

6/15 starts electronic contact for rising juniors (still a dead period for home & official visits until 7/31).

Flo has an article on who they guess will be the primary target for each school. They have #5 Jordan Williams for us (#15 Anthony Ferrari was also mentioned).

Flo indicated that we might be after #6 Joey Cruz (hadn't heard him linked to us before). Daniel Cardenas was also mentioned as a heavy push (#17).

Cornell was mentioned for #7 Rylan Rogers.

OU was mentioned for #13 Troy Spratley.

The 2022 class is absolutely loaded. Ferrari (#15) has to be a heavy lean and seems to project 157-174 (possibly taking over for Wittlake @ 165?). But who else can we get?..

You've got Williams #5, Cruz #6, Rogers #7, Spratley #13, Cardenas #17, John Wiley #19, Alex Alymeyda #26, Zach Blankenship #28, Quentin Saunders #41 and Harley Andrews #49.

Last edited:
Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Williams is going to be interesting. We simply don't lose instate kids ranked that high (top 5). I'm sure it has happened more but in the past 20 years I can only think of Ware.

Elise Brown is now headed to Nebraska.
That's too bad, I thought he had some upside and I was looking forward to watching him. Oh well, can't keep them all and 2020 class is still #1 by far. Good luck to him at Nebraska

Reactions: osu2082
Couple of recruiting notes...

Poulin committed to NCST yesterday.

6/15 starts electronic contact for rising juniors (still a dead period for home & official visits until 7/31).

Flo has an article on who they guess will be the primary target for each school. They have #5 Jordan Williams for us (#15 Anthony Ferrari was also mentioned).

Flo indicated that we might be after #6 Joey Cruz (hadn't heard him linked to us before). Daniel Cardenas was also mentioned as a heavy push (#17).

Cornell was mentioned for #7 Rylan Rogers.

OU was mentioned for #13 Troy Spratley.

The 2022 class is absolutely loaded. Ferrari (#15) has to be a heavy lean and seems to project 157-174 (possibly taking over for Wittlake @ 165?). But who else can we get?..

You've got Williams #5, Cruz #6, Rogers #7, Spratley #13, Cardenas #17, John Wiley #19, Alex Alymeyda #26, Zach Blankenship #28, Quentin Saunders #41 and Harley Andrews #49.

We are pretty much a lock for Ferrari and Blankenship and one other that I can’t remember.

What do you think about our chances with Williams and Rylan Rogers?

Hard to tell on both guys due to other circumstances. I do think the Collinsville thing and it hurting us with Williams is overblown but I do think he is very open to going out of state and his connection to the UNC staff is strong.

Does the situation without Chandler hurt us with Rylan? I don’t know. Or does the family familiarity give us an in. It’s seems from everything you here it will be the latter with him. I guess fit could be a factor if he grows anymore as 197 and HWY appear stacked with AJ and Haas.

Hard to tell on both guys due to other circumstances. I do think the Collinsville thing and it hurting us with Williams is overblown but I do think he is very open to going out of state and his connection to the UNC staff is strong.

Does the situation without Chandler hurt us with Rylan? I don’t know. Or does the family familiarity give us an in. It’s seems from everything you here it will be the latter with him. I guess fit could be a factor if he grows anymore as 197 and HWY appear stacked with AJ and Haas.
I know this doesn’t really mean much. But I think Rogers did wear OSU headgear to a tournament one time.

Reactions: osu2082
Getting Williams would be huge. Big time talent at a need weight. Especially with PSU picking up Howard, Bartlett & Kerkvliet plus still lurking for Figueroa & Van Ness. We need all the top end firepower we can get.

Rogers wore OSU headgear multiple x until the Chandler situation. After that he started wearing OU gear (while training for Fargo in 2019 and then also on Mastro's signing day). Didn't think much about that until I read the Flo article saying OU is the only team he follows on twitter. On the bright side, he's friends with both Travis Mastro & Boo. Hopefully that helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT