ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

I hope that isn't the case. Picc & Ringer are two of my all time favorite Cowboys. To see them both leave Stillwater would be rough. It would also be terrible news for Montalvo, Ferrari & Plott.

I agree. I’m trying to stay optimistic until otherwise but he’s most likely leaving for another RTC. The question is: which one??

My guess was Michigan (Willies early guess), UNC or Iowa. Princeton is another one brought up.

Sometimes you just need to change up your routine and training. We do a really good job with the few RTC athletes we have in preparation and getting partners in the room all things considered but the truth is there are just better ones out there.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
My guess was Michigan (Willies early guess), UNC or Iowa. Princeton is another one brought up.

Sometimes you just need to change up your routine and training. We do a really good job with the few RTC athletes we have in preparation and getting partners in the room all things considered but the truth is there are just better ones out there.

Iowa would surprise me because I had read somewhere they were having some funding issues. Of course it is all speculation and rumor.

Frankly, I’m shocked any of the RTCs can offer much funding in these climates.

Reactions: osu2082
Moving to Michigan. Girl friend is from there and she is going to OT school there. A good RTC with good guys around his weight was obviously also a factor.

Why for us?

Initially not good for us. It does open up a spot for another coach or RTC athlete who can bring a different style and who will have different contacts via recruiting. I wouldn’t mind seeing a lighter weight guy who can help with Daton and the lighter weights or possibly a big.

We have a lot of upper weight talent coming through the wings and getting a guy to really help develop them would be nice.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Initially not good for us. It does open up a spot for another coach or RTC athlete who can bring a different style and who will have different contacts via recruiting. I wouldn’t mind seeing a lighter weight guy who can help with Daton and the lighter weights or possibly a big.

We have a lot of upper weight talent coming through the wings and getting a guy to really help develop them would be nice.
We have Zoe for Daton . I think we will need another middle weight since Alex left . He will be hard to replace.

We have Zoe for Daton . I think we will need another middle weight since Alex left . He will be hard to replace.
Ringer probably wrestles most of the time at about 185 and he is highly rated in the World. He can wrestle with middle weights but also upper weights. Hard to replace. Ringer said John tried to get him to stay. I think there was a reason for that. Alex will get better competition at Michigan. Not good for us because we will get a quality assistant but not likely a Dieringer who is so connected to OSU.

Ringer probably wrestles most of the time at about 185 and he is highly rated in the World. He can wrestle with middle weights but also upper weights. Hard to replace. Ringer said John tried to get him to stay. I think there was a reason for that. Alex will get better competition at Michigan. Not good for us because we will get a quality assistant but not likely a Dieringer who is so connected to OSU.

We have Perry and Caldwell who are both in that same weight range.

Our current holes are at the lightweights and a “true” big.

Man, we’ve got to get this RTC juiced up. Did they kick Golonewski or whatever his name is off the team yet?

I think the current economic climate is going to really test the viability of RTCs (besides Penn State).

Harley, you're right, losing Alex is a big blow. Besides the obvious talent (& character), he is also ridiculously strong. When training at the OTC, a 79 kg Alex used to spar with a 92 kg J'den Cox. So he would have been a great workout partner for the college 165s-197s.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the RTC now. Daton has Zo, who has been a huge benefit to him. Two months ago, Jakason Burks specifically cited Zo as a reason for committing to OSU. But we need someone to push Ferrari & Plott, two special talents.

Lots of questions. We have only 2 post grads still competing - Klimara & White. Do they stick around? White would be a good partner for Ferrari, Haas & Doucet. Can we get Zahid to replace Alex or is he still staying at ASU? Any other 86 kg guys available? What happens with Boo? Will he stick around as a 65 kg after next year? He would be excellent for Voinovich & Mastro.

Harley, you're right, losing Alex is a big blow. Besides the obvious talent (& character), he is also ridiculously strong. When training at the OTC, a 79 kg Alex used to spar with a 92 kg J'den Cox. So he would have been a great workout partner for the college 165s-197s.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the RTC now. Daton has Zo, who has been a huge benefit to him. Two months ago, Jakason Burks specifically cited Zo as a reason for committing to OSU. But we need someone to push Ferrari & Plott, two special talents.

Lots of questions. We have only 2 post grads still competing - Klimara & White. Do they stick around? White would be a good partner for Ferrari, Haas & Doucet. Can we get Zahid to replace Alex or is he still staying at ASU? Any other 86 kg guys available? What happens with Boo? Will he stick around as a 65 kg after next year? He would be excellent for Voinovich & Mastro.
I feel like this is a dumb question but who is Zo? Is it Esposito?

Ah ok thanks. Maybe we could just add him as our volunteer coach? Could he do that and the RTC as well?

He could, but it would be a little unusual to have a volunteer coach that had no folkstyle experience. Someone like Derek White might make a bit more sense because he could work with Ferrari, Doucet & Streck, including the mat wrestling.

Ah ok thanks.
He could, but it would be a little unusual to have a volunteer coach that had no folkstyle experience. Someone like Derek White might make a bit more sense because he could work with Ferrari, Doucet & Streck, including the mat wrestling.
White would be good. I’m kinda in the camp of preferring a lightweight coach. But I’m sure John and Espo can coach em fine.

White would be good. I’m kinda in the camp of preferring a lightweight coach. But I’m sure John and Espo can coach em fine.

We have a bigger hole with the big boys IMO. Ringer helped but still was a little small and with AJ, Haas, Doucet and Taco in the room a true big man partner and coach would be ideal.

Don’t forget about Chris Perry, he works a lot with the upper weight guys.

He can and does as did AD and Caldwell but none are a “true” big. Adding White to the RTC was fantastic and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take over AD’s role.

He can and does as did AD and Caldwell but none are a “true” big. Adding White to the RTC was fantastic and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take over AD’s role.
There is an interview on Pistol Firing with AJ Ferrari. Interesting but did not sound good in regards to Allen's wrestling coach if true.

There is an interview on Pistol Firing with AJ Ferrari. Interesting but did not sound good in regards to Allen's wrestling coach if true.

I’m sure there are two sides to the story but it was nice to get a little more info on what went down there.

Really came away impressed with AJ after reading the interview.

Flo has an article that says we are 1 of 8 teams pursuing Cael Valencia, the #5 prospect in the 2021 class. He projects 165-184. A little surprised by that.

If Zahid wants to come also, I'd offer him whatever Alex was getting.

Flo has an article that says we are 1 of 8 teams pursuing Cael Valencia, the #5 prospect in the 2021 class. He projects 165-184. A little surprised by that.

If Zahid wants to come also, I'd offer him whatever Alex was getting.
The little information that came out once Zahid was ruled ineligible was that he tested positive for recreational drugs ( Cocaine). The rumor was this positive tests occurred before. Great wrestler, but unless researched and assessed it would be a questionable hire. Young Valencia would be a great prospect though.

Last edited:

Ultimately you trust the coaches to do their homework on stuff like that. Klimara is in the room and we all know his transgressions.

Prefacing this by saying I have no clue if Zhadid's mess up was a one time deal or something to be concerned about. Arizona State wasting no time to push him aside definitely makes me lean to your side.

Reactions: osu2082
Personally I try to avoid making any judgements based on things said on twitter and message boards (often anonymously). I don't even post in threads about failed tests & arrests. I don't know the facts, so I leave it to those who do.

Ultimately you trust the coaches to do their homework on stuff like that. Klimara is in the room and we all know his transgressions.

Prefacing this by saying I have no clue if Zhadid's mess up was a one time deal or something to be concerned about. Arizona State wasting no time to push him aside definitely makes me lean to your side.
Pretty sure there was info out there saying ASU had something like a 3 strike policy. We dont know for sure why & what he did in this case but it's apparent wasn't the first time. No way you hire someone like that (first year out) to work with 18 year old college kids.

Pretty sure there was info out there saying ASU had something like a 3 strike policy. We dont know for sure why & what he did in this case but it's apparent wasn't the first time. No way you hire someone like that (first year out) to work with 18 year old college kids.

I am not so sure. I will give you, it would be a big risk. However, if John could put safeguards in place, I think he'd be crazy not to at least consider it, especially if it would mean we get his little brother.

I am not so sure. I will give you, it would be a big risk. However, if John could put safeguards in place, I think he'd be crazy not to at least consider it, especially if it would mean we get his little brother.
The 2023 class has been posted on Flo and only Cael Hughes is rated from Oklahoma at 31.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT