ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Every weight is basically covered now between the 2020 & 2021 classes...

125: Burks
133: Mastro
141: Travis
149: Voinovich
157: Mastro
165: Surber (can he make it?)
174: Plott
184: Jezik
197: Ferrari
285: Haas

Also, I don't know how much stock you can put in Flo's updated Big Board. Dropping Ferrari & Plott because of injuries doesn't make a ton of sense. Yianni missed his senior year due to multiple elbow surgeries and he wasn't dropped down to #10. An easy way to look at it is predicted career points at Nationals. Does anyone think 9 guys will outscore Ferrari?

Same with Burks & Surber. Burks wrestled up at 132, losing in the state finals (he wrestled 126 at dual state) and Surber's only loss was to Picklo. By comparison, Robbie Howard lost more folkstyle matches in the last year and a half than Burks & Surber did combined. Flo left him in the top 10, so dropping them 30 spots is nuts.

Every weight is basically covered now between the 2020 & 2021 classes...

125: Burks
133: Mastro
141: Travis
149: Voinovich
157: Mastro
165: Surber (can he make it?)
174: Plott
184: Jezik
197: Ferrari
285: Haas

Also, I don't know how much stock you can put in Flo's updated Big Board. Dropping Ferrari & Plott because of injuries doesn't make a ton of sense. Yianni missed his senior year due to multiple elbow surgeries and he wasn't dropped down to #10. An easy way to look at it is predicted career points at Nationals. Does anyone think 9 guys will outscore Ferrari?

Same with Burks & Surber. Burks wrestled up at 132, losing in the state finals (he wrestled 126 at dual state) and Surber's only loss was to Picklo. By comparison, Robbie Howard lost more folkstyle matches in the last year and a half than Burks & Surber did combined. Flo left him in the top 10, so dropping them 30 spots is nuts.
Yeah I don’t care about Flos big board anymore. Ever since Willie left they’ve become super biased against OSU and will drop our guys over any slight thing.

Reactions: osu2082 and DPJ
I’ve always kind of defended Flo but their is no doubt things have changed towards us. I think it is a combination of Willie leaving, Askren coming on board and losing our rights.

I don’t think we have a real shot to win it next year but the fact they don’t even mention us as a potential trophy team next year is pretty crazy to me. Especially when they fawn over teams like Michigan and Cornell (who I have no doubt will be awesome).

Reactions: osu2082 and DPJ
I’ve always kind of defended Flo but their is no doubt things have changed towards us. I think it is a combination of Willie leaving, Askren coming on board and losing our rights.

I don’t think we have a real shot to win it next year but the fact they don’t even mention us as a potential trophy team next year is pretty crazy to me. Especially when they fawn over teams like Michigan and Cornell (who I have no doubt will be awesome).

You hit the nail on the head. Willie was extremely plugged into the big 12 and especially OSU so losing him was not only a loss of a very good wrestling mind and their top recruiting guy but it also resulted in them getting less insight and news about us and the conference.

Askren has an admitted bias against OSU. FLO is also catering to the Big 10 and a part of the country that drives their traffic and revenue.

This OSU class “on paper” is in the best of the decade type class discussion and so to discuss it as anything other than that is just poor form and shows bias. Nomad and Pyles should be better than that.

You hit the nail on the head. Willie was extremely plugged into the big 12 and especially OSU so losing him was not only a loss of a very good wrestling mind and their top recruiting guy but it also resulted in them getting less insight and news about us and the conference.

Askren has an admitted bias against OSU. FLO is also catering to the Big 10 and a part of the country that drives their traffic and revenue.

This OSU class “on paper” is in the best of the decade type class discussion and so to discuss it as anything other than that is just poor form and shows bias. Nomad and Pyles should be better than that.

Yeah when you think about it, in a weird way, it shows how awesome this class really is. They bagged on it, dropped our guys in the rankings and yet it is still no.1 and by a pretty wide margin.

Reactions: DPJ and osu2082
Great job recruiting by the coaches. Fun times coming for OSU wrestling. I can’t wait to see these guys develop. Hopefully a handful of them make an immediate impact.

Reactions: driad
Voinovich & Mastro appear set for 149 & 157. But could they go 141 & 149 as true freshmen?

Ohio St plans to leave Sasso @ 149 and have Echemendia go 141. He's roughly the same size as Voinovich (both wrestled 65 kg). And the younger Mastro wrestled light this past year, weighing in around 149-150. Then we could roll out the following in 2021-2022 for a title push...

Burks (older Mastro redshirts)
Daton
Voinovich
Mastro
Sheets
Wittlake
Plott
Montalvo
Ferrari
Streck (6th year?) / Haas / Doucet

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Voinovich & Mastro appear set for 149 & 157. But could they go 141 & 149 as true freshmen?

Ohio St plans to leave Sasso @ 149 and have Echemendia go 141. He's roughly the same size as Voinovich (both wrestled 65 kg). And the younger Mastro wrestled light this past year, weighing in around 149-150. Then we could roll out the following in 2021-2022 for a title push...

Burks (older Mastro redshirts)
Daton
Voinovich
Mastro
Sheets
Wittlake
Plott
Montalvo
Ferrari
Streck (6th year?) / Haas / Doucet
I think you could be right about them being able to make 41 and 49 as true freshmen. The other Cowboy wrestler who could be at 41 or 49 would be fairly blue chip recruit when he signed Brevin Balmaceda. However he did not show much his true freshman red shirt year especially with conditioning. By then he will have 2 whole seasons in the wrestling room. Does anyone have any news on Brevin's development in the room this year.

I think you could be right about them being able to make 41 and 49 as true freshmen. The other Cowboy wrestler who could be at 41 or 49 would be fairly blue chip recruit when he signed Brevin Balmaceda. However he did not show much his true freshman red shirt year especially with conditioning. By then he will have 2 whole seasons in the wrestling room. Does anyone have any news on Brevin's development in the room this year.

He had just an above average RS year going 19-4. The same was said about Witlake and he turned in a fantastic first varsity season.

Hopefully Brevin will show similar progress.

Chance McLane too (my roster sleeper).

The open spots appear to be 141 & 149 in 2022 (after Kaid & Boo) and then 157 in 2023 (after Wyatt). You would have to think Voinovich & Mastro will be favored for 2 of the 3 spots. That leaves guys like McLane, Balmeceda, Manibog, Travis, Witcraft, Wilson & Newton battling for the 3rd spot.

I like it that our "New" recruiting thread is 13 pages long. We are excited about our commitments and young guys in the room.

I like it that our "New" recruiting thread is 13 pages long. We are excited about our commitments and young guys in the room.
I have heard rumors on forums that we are after another top10 recruit in 21. I don't have any idea if this is true but that could be Van Ness 33/41, Valencia 160, Poulin and Figueroa career 125's. Figueroa is committed to Arizona State but I know Penn. Sr. people are talking about getting him.

I have heard rumors on forums that we are after another top10 recruit in 21. I don't have any idea if this is true but that could be Van Ness 33/41, Valencia 160, Poulin and Figueroa career 125's. Figueroa is committed to Arizona State but I know Penn. Sr. people are talking about getting him.
I think Figueroa has pretty much decommitted from ASU. I personally think it’s Figueroa we’re going after. Don’t have any inside info tho, just a guess.

I think Figueroa has pretty much decommitted from ASU. I personally think it’s Figueroa we’re going after. Don’t have any inside info tho, just a guess.
The 2022 Big Board is out on FLO with Williams rated 5, Rogers 7, Spratley 13, Ferrari 15, Wiley 19, Blankenship 28, Sanders 41 and Andrews 49. Surprise we have the makings for another great class.

The 2022 Big Board is out on FLO with Williams rated 5, Rogers 7, Spratley 13, Ferrari 15, Wiley 19, Blankenship 28, Sanders 41 and Andrews 49. Surprise we have the makings for another great class.

So Flo dropped Ferrari from 8 to 15 after he dominated this past season? Makes sense.

Van Ness would be fantastic, but it's hard to see him not going to either Princeton or Rutgers. Ohio St is also after Figueroa. If we are targeting him, that would mean Burks is unable to hold 125. Could mean Braxton Brown is an option again.

Looks to me that we could be bunching up on some weights. Rylan Rogers is a must get as he is the highest ranked wrestler at his weight and probably a big need for us.

So Flo dropped Ferrari from 8 to 15 after he dominated this past season? Makes sense.

Van Ness would be fantastic, but it's hard to see him not going to either Princeton or Rutgers. Ohio St is also after Figueroa. If we are targeting him, that would mean Burks is unable to hold 125. Could mean Braxton Brown is an option again.

FLO has come out with some very odd rankings since Willie left who was by far their most plugged in and knowledgeable HS guy on staff. They have penalized some guys for injuries, losses wrestling up a weight and not for others. Extremely inconsistent.

Figs is talented enough that if he shows interest (and I think he has) you make it work. I don’t think it says anything about anyone else.

It seems like it could be any or all other of them. Van Ness was expected to take an official at one point. Valencia (I cringe saying this because it rarely is a true indication) has been seen wearing OSU gear. Poulin had forged relationships with several of our recent signees/commits. Figs has been getting/giving a lot of OSU retweets/likes (another pour indicator).

FLO has come out with some very odd rankings since Willie left who was by far their most plugged in and knowledgeable HS guy on staff. They have penalized some guys for injuries, losses wrestling up a weight and not for others. Extremely inconsistent.

Figs is talented enough that if he shows interest (and I think he has) you make it work. I don’t think it says anything about anyone else.
Didn’t Anthony Ferrari miss the end of year due to injury too? From the outside looking in, the Ferraris seem like the type that will be motivated by drops in rankings due to injury. Disrespect

If we got Figueroa I would think that our last 2 classes would be the best classes in 2 consecutive years in decades. I would think that performance of these classes would be even greater since I also think that the wrestlers in our classes in general have been underrated.

Any idea which way Cael Valencia (160 pounds) is leaning? Ness (132 pounds) from Blair is the #2 and sounds like a true stud. Folks in Texas are pretty high on Elise Brown Ton out of Allen. He is not like the Texans of a few years ago as he is in a top ranked program.

I watched some videos of Elise Brown Ton after he committed. He's very quick. Has a really nice go behind move. Won Reno & the Stampede. Lost to the Cali 170 champ (ranked #8 by Intermat) 1-0 at Zinkin.

Looks like he has a lot of potential if he develops some more offensive attacks.

Reactions: osu2082
Didn’t Anthony Ferrari miss the end of year due to injury too? From the outside looking in, the Ferraris seem like the type that will be motivated by drops in rankings due to injury. Disrespect

he didn’t wrestle his senior year and while this might have been a concern in the past, I think some of these kids are so talented and look at their bigger goals (NCAA AND Olympics), it is less of an issue now. It has been pointed out Yainni missed his senior year in HS as he had surgery on both elbows and has done fine. I hope that is the same for our guys.

I knew Williams was good but didn’t realize he was that good. I know there is a lot of different info on our chances with him.

I wonder when the last time there was a top 5 kid in Oklahoma we didn’t get. Ware?

Have no idea how much of a priority he is but the OU board has several people saying Wiley is a heavy, heavy OU lean. No idea if they know what they are talking about but it makes sense with the Picklos being there.

I knew Williams was good but didn’t realize he was that good. I know there is a lot of different info on our chances with him.

I wonder when the last time there was a top 5 kid in Oklahoma we didn’t get. Ware?

We are in very good shape with most on that list and will land several. We are in the mix with Williams (beat Blankenship earlier this year who wasn’t 100%) but he is very open to going outside of Oklahoma and unfortunately does have some solid OU ties.

Have heard the same on Wiley, which makes sense. Crazy to think the amount of talent that is possible/likely over the 3 classes (20,21 and 22).

We are in very good shape with most on that list and will land several. We are in the mix with Williams (beat Blankenship earlier this year who wasn’t 100%) but he is very open to going outside of Oklahoma and unfortunately does have some solid OU ties.

Have heard the same on Wiley, which makes sense. Crazy to think the amount of talent that is possible/likely over the 3 classes (20,21 and 22).

Good to hear we aren’t completely out of it with Williams. It would be weird to have no chance with an Oklahoma kid rated that high.

I would think scholarship money would start to become an issue with these upcoming classes. Oklahoma kids would help a ton with that.

Last edited:
Good to hear we aren’t completely out of it with Williams. It would be weird to have no chance with an Oklahoma kid rated that.

I would think scholarship money would start to become an issue with these upcoming classes. Oklahoma kids would help a ton with that.

That is definitely going to be a factor with the 2022 class. Getting Blankenship would be big as his dad works for OSU so I am sure there is some tuition assistance there.

In state talent with good grades and test scores are massive for non-revenue sports

Another thought - how about Mitch Moore from VT as a transfer (he's in the portal).

I've seen some chatter that he might be headed to ASU (and that he might go 149), but they just picked up Jesse Vasquez yesterday.

For us he would slot in both weight and class wise. Has 2 years remaining with a redshirt available I believe. He could redshirt next year and then take over for Kaid or Boo (preferably 141). That would effectively put him in the Daton/Wittlake/Montalvo class.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Another thought - how about Mitch Moore from VT as a transfer (he's in the portal).

I've seen some chatter that he might be headed to ASU (and that he might go 149), but they just picked up Jesse Vasquez yesterday.

For us he would slot in both weight and class wise. Has 2 years remaining with a redshirt available I believe. He could redshirt next year and then take over for Kaid or Boo (preferably 141). That would effectively put him in the Daton/Wittlake/Montalvo class.
Well lt looks like there could be some potential interest there. Moore just followed Seth Duckworth on Twitter. It might not mean anything but I don’t know why you’d all of a sudden follow an OSU beat writer if you weren’t at least somewhat interested.

Little nervous to see what news Alex Dieringer is bringing to the surface tomorrow. He’ll be on Flo with Bader at 11:30 eastern

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT