ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Burks lost in the finals at 132 in overtime 4 to 2 to knopick who is a decent wrestler but still Burks can't score more than 2 points. I am sure Burks could wrestle 126 but still not to be a Nebraska State Champ his senior year is not good. Knopick is a junior who is rated 81st in the 2021 class.
Haas won his regional at 220 with all pins with the longest taking 2 and 1/2 minutes ( 3 pins).

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Haas won by 1st period pin to win his region. Wiley lost 5 to 4 in regional finals. Picklo won the regional by pin in the finals. Hughes won 10 to 2 to win his regional (He is 39-0 this year. Parker Witcraft won 113 regional final by 1st period pin. Carter won 8 to 6 in the regional final. There is a freshman 182 who won the 6 A East Jersey Robb who won by major and the 2 1st period pins. Be interesting how he does at the State Tournament. Doucette got a 26 second pin in the finals at 220 and his record is 44-0. Surber won by 1st period pin to win 182 regional. Harley Andrews won by 1st period pin to win 195.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Burks lost in the finals at 132 in overtime 4 to 2 to knopick who is a decent wrestler but still Burks can't score more than 2 points. I am sure Burks could wrestle 126 but still not to be a Nebraska State Champ his senior year is not good. Knopick is a junior who is rated 81st in the 2021 class.

@Wrassler17 @Harleycowboy, I am basically a newbie to HS wrestling, been following for the past 4 years here in the DFW area. You two and some others seem very tuned in to the sport.

Texas had their State Tournament this weekend. Are there any wrestlers that are the radar for OSU, besides the Ferrari brothers? Speaking of which, noticed both of them did not complete the season for Allen High, which has won another team wrestling title tonight. Are they both hurt?

Also, are any of you aware of the Decker twins out of Keller, Texas? One wrestles at 132 and the other at 152.
Also, La'Stot Pleasant from Frisco Lonestar? Just completed undefeated season and won State at 132.

I know Jakason lost, and it's not the greatest of looks. In his defense, Knopick is a very close friend to Burks, and they train together so it was a very familiar opponent he was wrestling against. Is is an excuse, no but thought I should share that. Kid was pretty emotional after the match in his interview. Knopick reversed him in 2OT

Reactions: osu2082
I know Jakason lost, and it's not the greatest of looks. In his defense, Knopick is a very close friend to Burks, and they train together so it was a very familiar opponent he was wrestling against. Is is an excuse, no but thought I should share that. Kid was pretty emotional after the match in his interview. Knopick reversed him in 2OT

Burks wrestled up for better competition. The call to tie it at the end was questionable. Great match and his friend is a very accomplished wrestler as well.

@Wrassler17 @Harleycowboy, I am basically a newbie to HS wrestling, been following for the past 4 years here in the DFW area. You two and some others seem very tuned in to the sport.

Texas had their State Tournament this weekend. Are there any wrestlers that are the radar for OSU, besides the Ferrari brothers? Speaking of which, noticed both of them did not complete the season for Allen High, which has won another team wrestling title tonight. Are they both hurt?

Also, are any of you aware of the Decker twins out of Keller, Texas? One wrestles at 132 and the other at 152.
Also, La'Stot Pleasant from Frisco Lonestar? Just completed undefeated season and won State at 132.

Welcome to the board. I generally follow OSU recruits & targets. There are plenty of others on here (including a few in TX) who are much more plugged into the HS wrestling scene.

On the Ferrari's, AJ had surgery last spring and should be back soon, hopefully for freestyle. Anthony was dominating this year, but then stopped competing in late January. He might be dinged up. In terms of other possible recruits, their teammate Elise Brown Ton had an official visit in November. There was also some talk about Braxton Brown earlier, but that was before Jakason Burks committed. Conner Wilson is also on the team BTW.

I'm not familiar with the 3 wrestlers you mentioned, but I'll check them out. They seem to fit into the 141/149 range where we have a need. Hopefully they contact Tyler Caldwell (our recruiting coordinator) if they're interested.

Welcome to the board. I generally follow OSU recruits & targets. There are plenty of others on here (including a few in TX) who are much more plugged into the HS wrestling scene.

On the Ferrari's, AJ had surgery last spring and should be back soon, hopefully for freestyle. Anthony was dominating this year, but then stopped competing in late January. He might be dinged up. In terms of other possible recruits, their teammate Elise Brown Ton had an official visit in November. There was also some talk about Braxton Brown earlier, but that was before Jakason Burks committed. Conner Wilson is also on the team BTW.

I'm not familiar with the 3 wrestlers you mentioned, but I'll check them out. They seem to fit into the 141/149 range where we have a need. Hopefully they contact Tyler Caldwell (our recruiting coordinator) if they're interested.

Thanks @Wrassler17 , good information regarding the Allen kids. Both Braxton and Brown-Ton both won State yesterday. Since Braxton wrestled at 113 and Brown-Ton at 160, what would they both transition to in College, possibly at OSU?

As far as the other wrestlers, especially La'stot Pleasant from Frisco Lonestar, would really like your thoughts. Since I'm so new to wrestling, have no idea if a kid who dominates in HS, if that translates into being a good wrestler on the College level.

Jezik beat Hoselton 3-2 in Finals
I am not awar
Thanks @Wrassler17 , good information regarding the Allen kids. Both Braxton and Brown-Ton both won State yesterday. Since Braxton wrestled at 113 and Brown-Ton at 160, what would they both transition to in College, possibly at OSU?

As far as the other wrestlers, especially La'stot Pleasant from Frisco Lonestar, would really like your thoughts. Since I'm so new to wrestling, have no idea if a kid who dominates in HS, if that translates into being a good wrestler on the College level.

I am not aware of any other Texas recruits that the Cowboys would be going after except the 3 Ferrari brothers. What really helps in assessing high school recruits, there are National Tournaments that top high school wrestlers go to where you compete with the best. Examples would be Fargo. the cadet and junior National team trials in freestyle, the national dual tournament with different States competing. Folkstyle Tournaments like Iron Man, Reno, Whose Number One. State Tournaments give lots of information in strong wrestling states especially. Like the kid we mentioned yesterday beating 1 of our recruits in Nebraska. His stock was raised and Burks stock dropped. Texas is not considered a wrestling state and so you can dominate a weight class and unless you wrestle Nationally you might not get noticed by most Division 1 schools. Over 10 years ago we recruited strong in Texas when Kenny Monday was a coach in Texas. Examples were we recruited the Ashmore brothers and several other Texans from that club. I don't think any of them made all American. Bo Nickol was from Texas who is 1 of the greats. I wish we would have gotten him. Hopefully the Ferrari brothers rise to that level.

Reactions: R.D.Carr
I am not awar

I am not aware of any other Texas recruits that the Cowboys would be going after except the 3 Ferrari brothers. What really helps in assessing high school recruits, there are National Tournaments that top high school wrestlers go to where you compete with the best. Examples would be Fargo. the cadet and junior National team trials in freestyle, the national dual tournament with different States competing. Folkstyle Tournaments like Iron Man, Reno, Whose Number One. State Tournaments give lots of information in strong wrestling states especially. Like the kid we mentioned yesterday beating 1 of our recruits in Nebraska. His stock was raised and Burks stock dropped. Texas is not considered a wrestling state and so you can dominate a weight class and unless you wrestle Nationally you might not get noticed by most Division 1 schools. Over 10 years ago we recruited strong in Texas when Kenny Monday was a coach in Texas. Examples were we recruited the Ashmore brothers and several other Texans from that club. I don't think any of them made all American. Bo Nickol was from Texas who is 1 of the greats. I wish we would have gotten him. Hopefully the Ferrari brothers rise to that level.
Jezik is a 2020 committ from IL will be a 184

I'm guessing Braxton is probably a career 125 and Brown-Ton is a 157/165.

I looked for La'stot's matches. I don't have a Track account and I didn't see anything on Flo. The only thing I found were a few 2 minute clips on YouTube from his 2019 season. He seems to get in on guys pretty well and he looks tough on top. But I'd really need to see more to offer up an opinion (his opponents didn't look that good).

I guess he's a senior. If he's still uncommitted, besides contacting schools directly, he might want to wrestle at the upcoming Folkstyle Nationals or NHSCA Nationals. A lot of coaches attend them looking for late additions.

@R.D.Carr Parker Decker out of TX cracks the latest Intermat rankings at #18 @ 132. Looks like he's a Duke commit.

For the Pokes, Burks drops a spot to #6 @ 132 & Jezik climbs 4 spots to #10 @ 195.

@R.D.Carr Parker Decker out of TX cracks the latest Intermat rankings at #18 @ 132. Looks like he's a Duke commit.

For the Pokes, Burks drops a spot to #6 @ 132 & Jezik climbs 4 spots to #10 @ 195.

Thanks @Wrassler17 for the information.
When I have an opportunity to speak with La'Stot Pleasant of Frisco Lonestar, I will definitely ask some of those questions you mentioned earlier.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Thanks @Wrassler17 for the information.
When I have an opportunity to speak with La'Stot Pleasant of Frisco Lonestar, I will definitely ask some of those questions you mentioned earlier.
Kyle Haas has a real test to win state this year because in his bracket Cade Lautt a senior 220 rated 5th at 220 and Haas is rated 2nd. I think I remember Lautt pinning Connor Doucette last summer in free style.

Kyle Haas has a real test to win state this year because in his bracket Cade Lautt a senior 220 rated 5th at 220 and Haas is rated 2nd. I think I remember Lautt pinning Connor Doucette last summer in free style.
Haas is in the semi's of Kansas 5A State with 2 1st period pins with a 26-0 record. Doucette is in the 3A State semi's with a first period pin with a 45-0 record. Luke Surber is the 4A semi's with a 1st period pin and a 22-1 record. Harley Andrews with a 42-2 record had a 1st period pin to get to the 4A semi's 195. Troy Sprately is in the 5A semi's with a 2nd period pin at 120 he is 35-0 and a sophomore like Andrews. Jordan Williams won with a 2nd period pin to get to the semi's in 5A at 126 with a record of 42-1. Cory Hicks is a sophomore who is 34-0 at 5A 145 is in the semi's with a 3rd period pin. Cael Hughes a freshman at 106 is 40-0 and in the 6A semi's with a 2nd period pin. Carter Young is a junior who won by 1st period pin and is in the 6A semi's at 132 with a 42-1 record. At 182 is a freshman named Jersey Robb with a 35-2 record and is in the semi's with a 2nd period pin and if he gets to the finals he would wrestle Picklo. Blankenship must be injured because I don't see that he is wrestling for Bixby in the State Tournament.

Haas is in the semi's of Kansas 5A State with 2 1st period pins with a 26-0 record. Doucette is in the 3A State semi's with a first period pin with a 45-0 record. Luke Surber is the 4A semi's with a 1st period pin and a 22-1 record. Harley Andrews with a 42-2 record had a 1st period pin to get to the 4A semi's 195. Troy Sprately is in the 5A semi's with a 2nd period pin at 120 he is 35-0 and a sophomore like Andrews. Jordan Williams won with a 2nd period pin to get to the semi's in 5A at 126 with a record of 42-1. Cory Hicks is a sophomore who is 34-0 at 5A 145 is in the semi's with a 3rd period pin. Cael Hughes a freshman at 106 is 40-0 and in the 6A semi's with a 2nd period pin. Carter Young is a junior who won by 1st period pin and is in the 6A semi's at 132 with a 42-1 record. At 182 is a freshman named Jersey Robb with a 35-2 record and is in the semi's with a 2nd period pin and if he gets to the finals he would wrestle Picklo. Blankenship must be injured because I don't see that he is wrestling for Bixby in the State Tournament.

blankenship dislocated his elbow so he is out. I would have loved to see picklo an plott wrestle...

Haas pinned his way to the finals in KS. Has Lautt tomorrow. Dopps is also in the finals, along with the younger brothers of Tristan Wills (Taidon) and Cade Lindsey (Cason).

Doucette, Andrews and Surber are in the finals with 1st period pins. Williams in the finals with a tech fall and Sprately in the finals with a 1st period pin. Hughes won by tech fall to reach the finals. Jersey Robb won by major to reach the finals. Carter Young won a decision to reach the finals. Hicks won by decision to reach the finals.

Kooper Doucet is also in the finals at 145 for Comanche. Probably Konner's younger brother, he's a freshman.

Hughes wins 10 to 1 in 6A finals he finished 42-0 as a freshman. Spratley won 11 to 4 at 120 5A record was 36-0.. Jordan Williams wins by 3rd period fall to take 1st at 126 5A and his record was 44-1. At 132 Carter Young wins 4 to 1 to win 6A with a 44-1 record. At 145 Wiley won in overtime a sophomore who is now a 2 time champion. I think he has injury problems maybe knee because he doesn't seem to be the same wrestler who won Fargo.

Last edited:
Hughes wins 10 to 1 in 6A finals he finished 42-0 as a freshman. Spratley won 11 to 4 at 120 5A record was 36-0.. Jordan Williams wins by 3rd period fall to take 1st at 126 5A and his record was 44-1. At 132 Carter Young wins 4 to 1 to win 6A with a 44-1 record. At 145 Wiley won in overtime a sophomore who is now a 2 time champion. I think he has injury problems maybe knee because he doesn't seem to be the same wrestler who won Fargo.
Lautt beat Haas 3 to 1 in the Kansas State Tournament. It has been a poor year for our commitments with injuries and being upset in State Tournaments.

Lautt beat Haas 3 to 1 in the Kansas State Tournament. It has been a poor year for our commitments with injuries and being upset in State Tournaments.
There is a Kansas sophomore Quentin Sanders who is now a 2 time champion at 182. He beat a Willis who is a senior in the finals 5 to 0. He finished undefeated.

Haas got picked up and planted on his shoulder for a takedown with about 10 seconds remaining, losing 3-1. Coleman has some nice recruits coming in at UNC.

Sanders beat Taidon Wills, Triston's little brother. Sanders also beat Cade Lindsey at state last year and Trevor Dopps earlier this year.

Also at KS state...
Dopps won @ 182
Cason Lindsey won @ 145 (Cade's brother, he's a junior)

Haas got picked up and planted on his shoulder for a takedown with about 10 seconds remaining, losing 3-1. Coleman has some nice recruits coming in at UNC.

Sanders beat Taidon Wills, Triston's little brother. Sanders also beat Cade Lindsey at state last year and Trevor Dopps earlier this year.

Also at KS state...
Dopps won @ 182
Cason Lindsey won @ 145 (Cade's brother)
Surber won by tech fall in the 2nd period to win state at 182. Picklo pinned Jersey Robb in the 1st period at 182 to win 6A.

Surber won by tech fall in the 2nd period to win state at 182. Picklo pinned Jersey Robb in the 1st period at 182 to win 6A.
Harley Andrews won with a pin in the 2nd period with a 44-2 record. Does anyone know who has beat him this year. He is a sophomore and could be a potential recruit. Also you have got to like his name. Konnor Doucett won by 1st period pin and finished with a 47-0 record

Also you have got to like his name.

Andrews lost to Skillings at Geary (was winning big tho) and Rocky Elam at the Stampede. Plott was scheduled to wrestle Elam at WNO before getting injured.

Congrats to Doucet & Caleb Tanner on winning 4 state titles.

Anyone we could pick up late? Maybe Cruz Aguilar?

Andrews lost to Skillings at Geary (was winning big tho) and Rocky Elam at the Stampede. Plott was scheduled to wrestle Elam at WNO before getting injured.

Congrats to Doucet & Caleb Tanner on winning 4 state titles.

Anyone we could pick up late? Maybe Cruz Aguilar?
I saw recently that Caleb Tanner committed to the Gooners. Should be a good pickup for them.

Reactions: tim73034
Read some recaps of the OK & KS tourneys...

- Cruz Aguilar plans to go out of state, looking at Iowa & Minny. He's an interesting prospect if he can add another 10 pounds.

- Devin Gomez will be taking an OSU visit (teammate of Kyle Haas). He's a graduating senior, 2x state champ (145/152). Ranked #3 PFP in Kansas behind Haas & Lautt (Dopps is #10). Just cracked Intermat's rankings at #20 @ 152. Placed 5th at Preseason Nationals last Fall. Looked solid in the matches I watched.

Any idea where the penn state decommit (Kibe) goes?
The article on Flo indicated North Carolina St because the Hidlay brothers are from the same high school. I don't know this but its possible his not good performance at State effected Penn. St. view of him as a commitment. Sanderson is someone who I think is a cutthroat with recruiting and others have thought he has done some low things as a recruiter and many don't like how he has run his regional training center to his advantage.

The article on Flo indicated North Carolina St because the Hidlay brothers are from the same high school. I don't know this but its possible his not good performance at State effected Penn. St. view of him as a commitment. Sanderson is someone who I think is a cutthroat with recruiting and others have thought he has done some low things as a recruiter and many don't like how he has run his regional training center to his advantage.

I could be way wrong but I can't imagine coaches let one bad tournament affect their views on the potential of a recruit.

I don't know this but its possible his not good performance at State effected Penn. St. view of him as a commitment. Sanderson is someone who I think is a cutthroat with recruiting and others have thought he has done some low things as a recruiter
Harley, I think every successful coach is a cutthroat recruiter. You recruit the best you can get, and kids come in knowing they will be competing. I can remember times when we lost a top wrestler to injury late in the season, and their backups placed at nationals. "Recruiting over" someone is what a coach should be doing. We on this board cheer for it when we get top recruits.

While it is possible that a poor performance at State may have reduced his status, not sure that is the norm by any means, and I have no idea if that is what happened. I do believe that committing so early (when even talking $$$ is not allowed) is one of the reason there are so many flip-flops happening.

I could be way wrong but I can't imagine coaches let one bad tournament affect their views on the potential of a recruit.

Very true. In that one “bad” tournament he lost two very close matches to two nationally ranked wrestlers.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Very true. In that one “bad” tournament he lost two very close matches to two nationally ranked wrestlers.
Yes, I want 35 and we needed to work harder on recruiting and I want the best wrestlers. So cutthroat and recruit over a recruit or wrestler who is not a star is what you need to do. Yes his placing likely did not set up Penn. St to view Kibe differently but this is quite a coincidence.

Yes, I want 35 and we needed to work harder on recruiting and I want the best wrestlers. So cutthroat and recruit over a recruit or wrestler who is not a star is what you need to do. Yes his placing likely did not set up Penn. St to view Kibe differently but this is quite a coincidence.
Gosh, why hasn't this occurred to Coach Smith? What a lightning bolt of clarity!

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT