ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

If Witcraft doesn’t develop, maybe Burks could go 141?

I saw a tweet from Jakason's club coach recently indicating that Burks usually weighs around 122 after practice. I'm starting to wonder if he ends up a career 125, like Picc.

I'm still high on Witcraft BTW. Young for his grade with a lot of upside.

Makes 2023 look a lot better and not just with Daton having an extra year but everyone I mentioned I think will have an extra year if redshirted. Plus Gfeller is likely at 49 in 2022. It is difficult for me to figure out years with this year 19/20, next year 20/21 etc. As I said projecting into the future is difficult for me.

Harley, yes, I was talking about Daton's junior year. I think PSU and Iowa are top 2 this year. Then Iowa will be the frontrunner next year, challenged by PSU, Cornell & Michigan. 2022 will have some tough teams, but no clear favorite. And as you posted, we will have a terrific lineup from top to bottom, including some high end firepower.

Makes 2023 look a lot better and not just with Daton having an extra year but everyone I mentioned I think will have an extra year if redshirted. Plus Gfeller is likely at 49 in 2022. It is difficult for me to figure out years with this year 19/20, next year 20/21 etc. As I said projecting into the future is difficult for me.
I agree, i think the 2021-22 season is where the potential for another run begins. And at current pace, should continue for a while!

Reactions: Pacemaker5
I agree, i think the 2021-22 season is where the potential for another run begins. And at current pace, should continue for a while!
Speaking of the 2022 FLO has a new top 100 with a few changes. After a great 20 class, a looking great so far 21 class ( Voinovich would be the cherry on top) the 22 class for us could be excellent. Here are the wrestlers we likely are recruiting heavily: 126 Jordan Williams rated 5th, 145 Anthony Ferrari rated 8th, 182 Rylan Rogers rated 10th in the class, 138 John Wiley rated 19th, 132 Zach Blankenship rated 20th, 120 Troy Spratley rated 23rd. 2022 has the potential to be a very good class also. It will be interesting how these sophomore's develop. Although it would be hard to think we would have much athletic aid possible but maybe some of these guys plus guys we have committed are real smart and getting a lot of financial aid from academics. Future is looking bright but wrestlers must develop if we are to get 35 or more in the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: osuind and JAY45
It must be a tough time to get a technical advantage over the field. About the time Johnny Thompson was a senior, is when I thought scouting really became a bigger part of the sport. Now, whatever you do, you will have 30 guys trying to figure out how to stop it. Fascinating, but challenging in ways us old timers never had to worry about.

Speaking of the 2022 FLO has a new top 100 with a few changes. After a great 20 class, a looking great so far 21 class ( Voinovich would be the cherry on top) the 22 class for us could be excellent. Here are the wrestlers we likely are recruiting heavily: 126 Jordan Williams rated 5th, 145 Anthony Ferrari rated 8th, 182 Rylan Rogers rated 10th in the class, 138 John Wiley rated 19th, 132 Zach Blankenship rated 20th, 120 Troy Spratley rated 23rd. 2022 has the potential to be a very good class also. It will be interesting how these sophomore's develop. Although it would be hard to think we would have much athletic aid possible but maybe some of these guys plus guys we have committed are real smart and getting a lot of financial aid from academics. Future is looking bright but wrestlers must develop if we are to get 35 or more in the next 5 years.

Harley, the 2024 class looks strong also. The youngest Ferrari, Angelo, just won the WOW (Tulsa) Kickoff Classic @ 125 lbs. He beat Jace Roller in a close semifinal. Jace then ended up taking 3rd. Several of Roller's teammates also placed high, as well as some other Oklahomans. Voinovich's younger brother took 3rd @ 135 lbs. His only loss was to the kid who beat him in the Super32 final last month.

The Gardner Edgerton Invite is this weekend. Flo is streaming. Allen and Broken Arrow will be there. Don't know if AJ will be wrestling, but Anthony Ferrari should be competing.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
The Gardner Edgerton Invite is this weekend. Flo is streaming. Allen and Broken Arrow will be there. Don't know if AJ will be wrestling, but Anthony Ferrari should be competing.
I watched 4 of Ferrari's matches. Anthony won by 3 1st period falls and then in the semi's he won 20 to 6. Mismatches. Also Parker Witcraft wrestles 113 for Broken arrow and he is in the finals. I don't know what year he is in school but he shows some potential down the road. 3 1st period pins and then won 8 to 6 in the semi's. Almost all of his points in the semi's were from the top position turning his opponents.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I watched 4 of Ferrari's matches. Anthony won by 3 1st period falls and then in the semi's he won 20 to 6. Mismatches. Also Parker Witcraft wrestles 113 for Broken arrow and he is in the finals. I don't know what year he is in school but he shows some potential down the road. 3 1st period pins and then won 8 to 6 in the semi's. Almost all of his points in the semi's were from the top position turning his opponents.
Ferrari won by tech in the finals, dominant but I don't know how good his opponents were. Witcraft got dominated by Braxton Brown from Allen who is very good(rated 8 at 113). Ferrari looks to be very special. One of the reasons I thought Ferrari was a much better get than Amos was because of the 2 younger brothers.

Paddy Gallagher just verbaled to Ohio State. Maybe that could help us with Voinovich?
Probably won't help us since they are both juniors and Gallagher wrestles 160 and Voinovich wrestles 145. Weight classes of course could change over time. Sasso is at 49 for Ohio St but they are weak at 57. Maybe Gallagher takes over 57 or wrestles 65. If Voinovich grows to 57 maybe that could help us. My thinking is we would want Voinovich for 49 because young Mastro I would think would be a 57, but who knows?

Probably won't help us since they are both juniors and Gallagher wrestles 160 and Voinovich wrestles 145. Weight classes of course could change over time. Sasso is at 49 for Ohio St but they are weak at 57. Maybe Gallagher takes over 57 or wrestles 65. If Voinovich grows to 57 maybe that could help us. My thinking is we would want Voinovich for 49 because young Mastro I would think would be a 57, but who knows?
With the Iron man tournament both Mastro's have real competition at their weights. Signed Mastro is seeded first and his competition at 126 is 2 seed Crookham rated 5th at 32, 3rd seed Bouzakis rated 3rd at 126, 4th seed Ragusin rated 4th at 26, 5th seed , 6th seed Barnabae rated 14th at 26 and Jackson Cockrell is seeded 9th at 126. For the verbally committed Mastro at 152 is the 1st seed. His competition is 2nd seed Peyton Hall rated 4th at 52, 3rd seed Bailey rated 7th at 160, 4th seed Roberts rated 8th at 52, 5th seed Kovacs rated 10th at 52, 6th seed Keivman rated 7th at 52, 7th seed Handlovic rated 5th at 52, 8th seed Hepner rated 14th at 52. We will really see how the Mastro's are wrestling this year. Probably the toughest 2 weights in the tournament.

Last edited:
So a bit off topic, but I noticed the guy starting for South Dakota State at 174 is named Cade King. That name sounds familiar was he committed to us at one point?

So a bit off topic, but I noticed the guy starting for South Dakota State at 174 is named Cade King. That name sounds familiar was he committed to us at one point?
No,as far as I know. He was a 3 time state medalist in Minnesota and really never highly ranked.

With the Iron man tournament both Mastro's have real competition at their weights. Signed Mastro is seeded first and his competition at 126 is 2 seed Crookham rated 5th at 32, 3rd seed Bouzakis rated 3rd at 126, 4th seed Ragusin rated 4th at 26, 5th seed , 6th seed Barnabae rated 14th at 26 and Jackson Cockrell is seeded 9th at 126. For the verbally committed Mastro at 152 is the 1st seed. His competition is 2nd seed Peyton Hall rated 4th at 52, 3rd seed Bailey rated 7th at 160, 4th seed Roberts rated 8th at 52, 5th seed Kovacs rated 10th at 52, 6th seed Keivman rated 7th at 52, 7th seed Handlovic rated 5th at 52, 8th seed Hepner rated 14th at 52. We will really see how the Mastro's are wrestling this year. Probably the toughest 2 weights in the tournament.
I had turned on the iron man and they went thru 26 and there was not any Mastro match so I thought maybe he got a bye. I checked the brackets and found that Mastro was not in the bracket. Even a December 13th article had him in but he isn't. I saw Voinovich won by pin in his first match. Young Mastro had a bye. Disppointing that older Mastro can't go for his 3rd iron man.

I had turned on the iron man and they went thru 26 and there was not any Mastro match so I thought maybe he got a bye. I checked the brackets and found that Mastro was not in the bracket. Even a December 13th article had him in but he isn't. I saw Voinovich won by pin in his first match. Young Mastro had a bye. Disppointing that older Mastro can't go for his 3rd iron man.

Willie wrote on Rofkin that Mastro suffered an injury last week at Germantown....So he scratched.

Voinovich won by major and Young Mastro won by 1st period pin. Voinovich's takedowns were front headlocks and working his way to go arounds for 2. He puts his legs in and his opponent couldn't move. He constantly the half to turn him and did not get the half nelson turn until right at the end of the match. Mastro just threw his opponent to his back for the pin at the end of the first period. He had several takedowns before I think an ankle pick and a double.

Voinovich won by major and Young Mastro won by 1st period pin. Voinovich's takedowns were front headlocks and working his way to go arounds for 2. He puts his legs in and his opponent couldn't move. He constantly the half to turn him and did not get the half nelson turn until right at the end of the match. Mastro just threw his opponent to his back for the pin at the end of the first period. He had several takedowns before I think an ankle pick and a double.
In the quarters Voinovich won by 1st period pin and Mastro won 7 to 5. Mastro was sloppy at the end giving an escape then he looks at the clock and gets taken down 1 second later. Mastro has a brace on his knee and a wrap on his hand. He does not seem at 100%, a little stiff.

Last edited:
In the quarters Voinovich won by 1st period pin and Mastro won 7 to 5. Mastro was sloppy at the end giving an escape then he looks at the clock and gets taken down 1 second later. Mastro has a brace on his knee and a wrap on his hand. He does not seem at 100%, a little stiff.
Rylan Rogers has won by majors or techs to the quarters and in the quarters threw his opponent for the pin in the 1st. Also Blankenship is in the Perry Tournament of Champions finals against Carter Young at 132. I also noticed Anthony Ferrari is at Reno and is in the quarterfinals after 3 1st period pins. Very dominant on his feet and in the top position.

Last edited:
Rylan Rogers has won by majors or techs to the quarters and in the quarters threw his opponent for the pin in the 1st. Also Blankenship is in the Perry Tournament of Champions finals against Carter Young at 132. I also noticed Anthony Ferrari is at Reno and is in the quarterfinals after 3 1st period pins. Very dominant on his feet and in the top position.
Rogers, Mastro and Voinovich won close decisions to advance to the finals of Iron man. Mastro got thrown on his head twice with 2 penalty points to win 4 to 1. Luckily he did not seem to get hurt. Also at Reno Ferrari won 7 to 1 to get to the semi finals.

Rogers, Mastro and Voinovich won close decisions to advance to the finals of Iron man. Mastro got thrown on his head twice with 2 penalty points to win 4 to 1. Luckily he did not seem to get hurt. Also at Reno Ferrari won 7 to 1 to get to the semi finals.
Ferrari advances to the final by winning with a major decision. No contest. Carter Young beats Zac Blankenship easily in the finals 6 to 1 to win Perry.

Last edited:
Ferrari advances to the final by winning with a major decision. No contest. Carter Young beats Zac Blankenship easily in the finals 6 to 1 to win Perry.
Unbelievable where Mastro got pinned in overtime. They got to overtime because maestro twice hung on his opponents leg twice in the match and both times got called for stalling when he was ahead 5 to 3 with a few seconds left and then gave up the escape where the match was tied. Mastro was close to the takedown and then got chin whipped to his back and pinned. They did say Mastro was in the hospital last night. Another penalty point against Mastro happened with a throw earlier in the match that cost maestro 2 points plus a 1 point penalty. Very frustrated where the better wrestler got pinned. I will say I was stunned after getting called once before hanging on the leg that Mastro did it again near the end of the 3rd period when he would still have been ahead by 1 if he would have let him go. Voinovich lost by decision in the match before.

Every getting upsetted today including beau bartlett ( I know committed elsewhere). These unranked kids are coming out hungry today.

Reactions: osu2082
Unbelievable where Mastro got pinned in overtime. They got to overtime because maestro twice hung on his opponents leg twice in the match and both times got called for stalling when he was ahead 5 to 3 with a few seconds left and then gave up the escape where the match was tied. Mastro was close to the takedown and then got chin whipped to his back and pinned. They did say Mastro was in the hospital last night. Another penalty point against Mastro happened with a throw earlier in the match that cost maestro 2 points plus a 1 point penalty. Very frustrated where the better wrestler got pinned. I will say I was stunned after getting called once before hanging on the leg that Mastro did it again near the end of the 3rd period when he would still have been ahead by 1 if he would have let him go. Voinovich lost by decision in the match before.
Rylan Rogers won at close match at 82 to win the Iron Man.

Rylan Rogers won at close match at 82 to win the Iron Man.
Anthony Ferrari won the 145 championship at Reno by winning by tech fall in the finals. One of the reasons I thought that we needed Ferrari over Amos besides Ferrari seems a little bit better, is he has 2 younger brothers that are very good. Anthony Ferrari is very good and he is a sophomore in high school.

Anthony Ferrari won the 145 championship at Reno by winning by tech fall in the finals. One of the reasons I thought that we needed Ferrari over Amos besides Ferrari seems a little bit better, is he has 2 younger brothers that are very good. Anthony Ferrari is very good and he is a sophomore in high school.
Carter Young is at the KC stampede and won his 4 matches so far by tech fall or pin. He is in the gold division ( 16 wrestlers) and he is seeded 4th.

Carter Young is at the KC stampede and won his 4 matches so far by tech fall or pin. He is in the gold division ( 16 wrestlers) and he is seeded 4th.
Carter Young won by tech in round of 16 and won by major in the quarters. Big upset was Jordan Williams losing in the quarters in overtime. I don't know if he will get his headgear back because after losing he exploded and discus threw his headgear maybe for a world record. Young has Tanner of Collinsville in the semi's.

Carter Young won by tech in round of 16 and won by major in the quarters. Big upset was Jordan Williams losing in the quarters in overtime. I don't know if he will get his headgear back because after losing he exploded and discus threw his headgear maybe for a world record. Young has Tanner of Collinsville in the semi's.
Caleb Tanner won 6 to 1 over Young who was behind 1 to 0 in the 3rd period and took neutral instead of down. 15 seconds later Tanner hit a double to Youngs back for 5 and that was that. I'm wondering if all of our recruits are injured because Tuttle is at this tournament and neither Plott which I knew he had shoulder surgery cut Surber did not wrestle either. Williams won his consolation match 11 to 4. Williams is known for comebacks and winning close matches. He got burned today.

Caleb Tanner won 6 to 1 over Young who was behind 1 to 0 in the 3rd period and took neutral instead of down. 15 seconds later Tanner hit a double to Youngs back for 5 and that was that. I'm wondering if all of our recruits are injured because Tuttle is at this tournament and neither Plott which I knew he had shoulder surgery cut Surber did not wrestle either. Williams won his consolation match 11 to 4. Williams is known for comebacks and winning close matches. He got burned today.

Couple of others...

Anthony Ferrari dominated at the Zinkin tourney. Still no AJ yet. Matches on Flo.

Both Mastros are sitting out at the Beast of the East. Voinovich is in the semis. Track is streaming.

2020 commit Daniel Jezik lost 3-2 to Brandon Hoselton. Hoselton is ranked top 10 @ 195. Jezik is an interesting prospect. Multi sport guy. Could he go 184, with Plott @ 174 and AJ @ 197?

Voinovich ended up 5th at Beast of the East. Rylan Rogers took 2nd, losing to a top 5 Rutgers signee in the finals.

Voinovich then took 2nd at the Brecksville Holiday tournament this past weekend. In the last 3 weeks his team has been at the Ironman, the Beast & Brecksville. 3 super tough tournies. Voinovich suffered 4 losses, all of them against a top 7 guy.

Daniel Jezik enters the Intermat rankings at #17 @ 182 (been wrestling @ 195 tho). He dominated this past weekend at an IL dual tournament, including a major against a state finalist from last season. Jezik's only loss this year is to Hoselton in tie breakers. Hoselton is #36 on Flo's 2021 Big Board. Jezik's coaches call him an explosive athlete. Max Dean was another star HS running back that was somewhat unheralded in wrestling. He turned out OK at Cornell. We might have a sleeper.

Teague Travis has been dominating @ 145 but hasn't seen any top guys yet. He'll be at the Doc B this weekend, which should have a few top 15 guys at the weight. Good test for him.

Voinovich ended up 5th at Beast of the East. Rylan Rogers took 2nd, losing to a top 5 Rutgers signee in the finals.

Voinovich then took 2nd at the Brecksville Holiday tournament this past weekend. In the last 3 weeks his team has been at the Ironman, the Beast & Brecksville. 3 super tough tournies. Voinovich suffered 4 losses, all of them against a top 7 guy.

Daniel Jezik enters the Intermat rankings at #17 @ 182 (been wrestling @ 195 tho). He dominated this past weekend at an IL dual tournament, including a major against a state finalist from last season. Jezik's only loss this year is to Hoselton in tie breakers. Hoselton is #36 on Flo's 2021 Big Board. Jezik's coaches call him an explosive athlete. Max Dean was another star HS running back that was somewhat unheralded in wrestling. He turned out OK at Cornell. We might have a sleeper.

Teague Travis has been dominating @ 145 but hasn't seen any top guys yet. He'll be at the Doc B this weekend, which should have a few top 15 guys at the weight. Good test for him.
Voinovich is not great on his feet ( he is good) but the top guys can take him down. Jesse Vasquez took him down twice in the 1st period at who's number 1. However in the 2nd twice flattened Vasquez while on top and put an unbelievable half on Vasquez for 1 turn and then a pin. He needs to get better on his feet to be a champion because top wrestlers now know about his top game and can avoid it.

Voinovich is not great on his feet ( he is good) but the top guys can take him down. Jesse Vasquez took him down twice in the 1st period at who's number 1. However in the 2nd twice flattened Vasquez while on top and put an unbelievable half on Vasquez for 1 turn and then a pin. He needs to get better on his feet to be a champion because top wrestlers now know about his top game and can avoid it.

I agree, he's a hammer on top. Pinned 4 guys in a total of 4:44 at Brecksville. And very good in neutral, made the Fargo finals and got a takedown against Echemendia. He gave up 4 takedowns at WNO & in the Ironman finals, all of them were counters off his own shots. Our coaches will clean that up.

Still very high on Voinovich and hope we get him.

Teague Travis is dropping to 138 for the Doc B. He has the #s 8, 17 & 19 guys in his weight. Plenty of top guys at the other weights too.

Starts tomorrow on Flo.

Voinovich suffered 4 losses, all of them against a top 7 guy..

I agree, he's a hammer on top. Pinned 4 guys in a total of 4:44 at Brecksville. And very good in neutral, made the Fargo finals and got a takedown against Echemendia. He gave up 4 takedowns at WNO & in the Ironman finals, all of them were counters off his own shots. Our coaches will clean that up. Still very high on Voinovich and hope we get him.

Victor got two takedowns vs Echemendia. (not one).
He also got 3 straight takedowns vs Alirez last summer.
Both of those guys are beyond elite from neutral. Dont worry about Victor's neutral - he's fine. Both Echemendia and Alirez beat him based on points in par terre.
Also, after a loss, he always wins the rematch. Unfortunately, he wont have a chance for rematch of the 4 recent close losses. maybe freestyle season.
In the 2 losses at Beast, he had a late cradle locked up, on both, but each guy squirmed out of bounds.
His loss in the finals at Brecksville was off a counter. His opponent did not take one forward shot all match.
If you guys land him, you are getting a great wrestler.

Victor got two takedowns vs Echemendia. (not one).
He also got 3 straight takedowns vs Alirez last summer.
Both of those guys are beyond elite from neutral. Dont worry about Victor's neutral - he's fine. Both Echemendia and Alirez beat him based on points in par terre.
Also, after a loss, he always wins the rematch. Unfortunately, he wont have a chance for rematch of the 4 recent close losses. maybe freestyle season.
In the 2 losses at Beast, he had a late cradle locked up, on both, but each guy squirmed out of bounds.
His loss in the finals at Brecksville was off a counter. His opponent did not take one forward shot all match.
If you guys land him, you are getting a great wrestler.

Good info...any idea on the timing of when Voinovich might make an announcement on his decision?

Teague Travis is into the quarters at Doc B. He shoots nonstop, while his opponent literally took his first shot with 5 seconds left. Like watching someone wrestle a fire hydrant.

Teague Travis is dropping to 138 for the Doc B. He has the #s 8, 17 & 19 guys in his weight. Plenty of top guys at the other weights too.

Starts tomorrow on Flo.
I watched his first 2 matches where he won by major and 4 to 3 in the round of 16 at the Doc Buchanon. He is a good wrestler but he has to work hard and struggle to win. Compare him to Anthony Ferrari who are about the same size. For Ferrari scoring seems easy he is just so much quicker, smoother and stronger. Travis is the 3rd seed with Justin Rivera is the 1st seed and on Flo the 7th rated 145 in the country. The 2nd seed is Daniel Cardenas ( up to 38 after being 26 last year). I hope he wins the tournament but I don't see it happening yet.

I watched his first 2 matches where he won by major and 4 to 3 in the round of 16 at the Doc Buchanon. He is a good wrestler but he has to work hard and struggle to win. Compare him to Anthony Ferrari who are about the same size. For Ferrari scoring seems easy he is just so much quicker, smoother and stronger. Travis is the 3rd seed with Justin Rivera is the 1st seed and on Flo the 7th rated 145 in the country. The 2nd seed is Daniel Cardenas ( up to 38 after being 26 last year). I hope he wins the tournament but I don't see it happening yet.

Anthony Ferrari is a top prospect. Very explosive like his brother. But Travis has potential too. I counted 6x that he got a lock on a leg in that 2nd match. He just didn't have the horsepower to finish most of them. That'll come in time. He reminds me of a 138 pound version of Dakota Geer in neutral.

Travis won 9 to 5 in the quarters to advance to the semi's. He will wrestle the number 2 seed Cardenas in the semi's who I did not see in flo ratings at 38.

Travis won 9 to 5 in the quarters to advance to the semi's. He will wrestle the number 2 seed Cardenas in the semi's who I did not see in flo ratings at 38.

Flo had Cardenas at #7 @ 132, but then dropped him when he didn't place at Super32. Intermat has him at #17 @ 138. I've found Intermat's HS rankings to be a little more accurate than Flo's. They're also not behind a pay wall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT