ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Nagao committed to Minny late last night. Watched some matches of him, he looks good. Has a nice low single. Good luck to him.

I posted this in October, worth a revisit!
interesting comments from the track article:

“Me, Doucet and Mastro have been around each other since seventh grade when we started training at Buxton’s,” Plott said. “When we got together in Stillwater, we talked about getting the same group of good wrestlers and good guys as a whole at OSU to win a national championship.”

Said Mastrogiovanni: “We talked about making a dream team from when we were little kids, and there are still a few other guys who we were talking to that want to hop on board.”

A couple familiar names appear in this lineup for the Buxton Red Beards in 2016.

Leading the way for the Red Beards were the following:

75 Stevo Poulin

80 Angelo Ferrari

85 Cole Skinner

90 Cooper Stewart

95 Nic Bouzakis

100 Zac Creeden

105 Greg Diakomaholis

112 Trevor Mastrogiovanni

119 Jackson Dean

127 Elan Heard

135 Dustin Plott

142 AJ Ferrari

154 Gage Hockett

165 Cade Cook

180 Konner Doucet

230 Braxton Amos

From Who's #1 to who's next? Who will be next to join the resurging Cowboys?

An added bonus to landing AJ Ferrari is that we are now strong favorites for younger brother Anthony, #7 in the class of 2022. Plus we are probably the favorites for Kyle Haas, #6 in the class of 2021. $ will be a factor of course, but who else can we (should we) add?..

2021 class top 20
Travis Mastro #4
Haas #6
Voinovich #11
Picklo #14

2022 class top 20 (loaded)
Nic Bouzakis #4
Ferrari #7
Jordan Williams #8
Daniel Cardenas #9
Rylan Rogers #11
John Wiley #18
Zach Blankenship #19

From Who's #1 to who's next? Who will be next to join the resurging Cowboys?

An added bonus to landing AJ Ferrari is that we are now strong favorites for younger brother Anthony, #7 in the class of 2022. Plus we are probably the favorites for Kyle Haas, #6 in the class of 2021. $ will be a factor of course, but who else can we (should we) add?..

2021 class top 20
Travis Mastro #4
Haas #6
Voinovich #11
Picklo #14

2022 class top 20 (loaded)
Nic Bouzakis #4
Ferrari #7
Jordan Williams #8
Daniel Cardenas #9
Rylan Rogers #11
John Wiley #18
Zach Blankenship #19

I don't know what the money situation allows but 141-165 looks like were we need some younger guys

Blankenship, Cardenas, Voinovich, Ferrari, Williams and Mastro all seem to project in that range.

Has anyone heard who will be in town this weekend? Homecoming is usually big for official & unofficial visits. Hoping for some more good news soon.

Has anyone heard who will be in town this weekend? Homecoming is usually big for official & unofficial visits. Hoping for some more good news soon.

Don't want to say too much because the info I've seen is behind the paywall of another site. If true it is a big weekend.

Wyatt Henson commits to Iowa, not sure where we were with him but maybe him committing there is a sign that another mid weight prospect will pledge to the pokes soon

So the info about which recruits are in town is on a paid Pistols Firing site? If true, that's ridiculous.

PF has pulled plenty of info directly from this board. Positive of it. I can name several of my own posts that somehow turned into a PF article or tweet within hours. Fine, no biggie. But when PF gets some info (from the coaches no doubt), it goes behind a paywall?

The Iowa board has a blog site and a media outlet that routinely post and share info. There's a thread on there now about which recruits are in town.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Hurts to lose Picklo. Know that the OTC played a part in it. Props to Guerrero and their staff. We sit here on our morals collecting 4th place team trophies while teams with OTC’s build dynasties.

Hurts to lose Picklo. Know that the OTC played a part in it. Props to Guerrero and their staff. We sit here on our morals collecting 4th place team trophies while teams with OTC’s build dynasties.

I wanted the kid because he is from my hometown but in all honesty it was going to be tough for him to break into our lineup for a long time.

OTC or no OTC the talent in our room compared to the OTC at OU is night and day at Picklo’s weight.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then...but seriously good for him. I can understand not wanting to wait 2-3 years to crack the lineup. Kids want to wrestle as early as possible. He'll have that chance at OU.

Hopefully for Picklo, he fares better than the last highly ranked Oklahoman to choose OU.

I just don’t think they are consistently developing guys but he will for sure get to be a 4 year starter there and that opportunity just wasn’t going to be found in Stillwater. Can’t blame him but for development a better out of state program would have been better for him IMO.

Not sure I agree that Picklo would have had issues making our lineup. If he turns out to be a 174, it's possible he could've slotted in perfectly between Surber & Plott. Worst case, he might've sat behind Wittlake for 1 year (and that's not a given based on Wittlake's redshirt year).

I am a little surprised he chose OU over Michigan and Cornell, but good luck to him.

What are you gonna do? I hoped we could pick up Tate, I think he could have helped up.. All that being said, theres no guarantee he will be great.. he has been competing in judo / wrestling since he was old enough to walk and as a result of that and some good genetics, he is more physically mature that the kids he typically goes against.. Add to that that his dad was a high all american and almost made the us olympic judo team, he has been getting top notch coaching since day one.. He does outstanding against guys he is suppose to beat and seems to look more human against people that grew up with the same advantages he had.. So far OU hasn't developed anyone out of the ordinary in awhile.. Dom Demas is doing great and could be their next national champ.. unfortunately for Mr. Demas, Kaden Gfeller looks to be at 141 this year and I think he can win the weight..

Not sure I agree that Picklo would have had issues making our lineup. If he turns out to be a 174, it's possible he could've slotted in perfectly between Surber & Plott. Worst case, he might've sat behind Wittlake for 1 year (and that's not a given based on Wittlake's redshirt year).

I am a little surprised he chose OU over Michigan and Cornell, but good luck to him.

Flo projects him as a 184 which obviously overlaps with Plott. 174 puts him against Surber for most his career. I don’t think he is a 165 but if he is would he be a higher priority than Mastro’s little brother? I know all those weight are fluid but I think if Picklo was a Plan A guy for us we would have gotten him.

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
Hopefully for Picklo, he fares better than the last highly ranked Oklahoman to choose OU.

I just don’t think they are consistently developing guys but he will for sure get to be a 4 year starter there and that opportunity just wasn’t going to be found in Stillwater. Can’t blame him but for development a better out of state program would have been better for him IMO.
Who was the last guy?

Don't quite get your remark about sitting on our morals. "Morals" are not predicated on what works but what is right. OU is far from building a dynasty but if they were it would not make them "Moral".

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
Who was the last guy?

There was a bunch of angst here and among fans for missing on the triplets from Edmond. One of the three was very highly regarded.

I don’t think we felt we could tie up the needed money to get all 3 and none have developed into difference makers at OU, even the highly regarded one.

Reactions: driad
Flo projects him as a 184 which obviously overlaps with Plott. 174 puts him against Surber for most his career. I don’t think he is a 165 but if he is would he be a higher priority than Mastro’s little brother? I know all those weight are fluid but I think if Picklo was a Plan A guy for us we would have gotten him.

Maybe. But Flo is just guessing at weights like everyone else. Willie even said Picklo looked small at 80 kg this summer and he might end up a 165 in college. So who knows. Plus the younger Mastro is not a done deal by any means - he was wearing Ohio St gear just a couple of weeks ago.

On your last point - that we would have gotten him if we wanted - I hope you're right. I don't like losing top recruits to OU and I don't want to lose Williams, Blankenship & Wiley down the road. Their RTC $ is a factor, kids know they will get a spot after graduation.

Maybe. But Flo is just guessing at weights like everyone else. Willie even said Picklo looked small at 80 kg this summer and he might end up a 165 in college. So who knows. Plus the younger Mastro is not a done deal by any means - he was wearing Ohio St gear just a couple of weeks ago.

On your last point - that we would have gotten him if we wanted - I hope you're right. I don't like losing top recruits to OU and I don't want to lose Williams, Blankenship & Wiley down the road. Their RTC $ is a factor, kids know they will get a spot after graduation.

Don’t disagree with any of this. I will just say we didn’t start recruiting Picklo until very recently. I think we wanted him but he wasn’t a Plan A for us. For OU he obviously was. We don’t lose instate Plan A guys to OU.

On the younger Mastro, maybe Picklo’s commitment and Mastro being in town this weekend are connected.

End of the day, we are killing it in recruiting. Can’t get everyone.

We don’t lose instate Plan A guys to OU.

Agree with your points except for this one.

I'm not taking OU lightly. 5 years ago (& 25 years ago) RTCs were not a factor. Weren't there concerns about Plott a year ago? Even AJ Ferrari had a planned visit to OU (don't know if it ever happened). Some might say that was because of location. But during interviews, AJ mentioned Frank Molinaro as someone he followed and studied. And Rosselli is thought to be a very tough recruiter.

PSU, tOSU, Iowa & Cornell have been killing it in recruiting. And yes, we have too lately, just phenomenal. But if we want to win a team title in the next few years, we need every top guy from OK, KS & TX to be on lockdown.

I'm not taking OU lightly. 5 years ago (& 25 years ago) RTCs were not a factor. Weren't there concerns about Plott a year ago? Even AJ Ferrari had a planned visit to OU (don't know if it ever happened). Some might say that was because of location. But during interviews, AJ mentioned Frank Molinaro as someone he followed and studied. And Rosselli is thought to be a very tough recruiter.

PSU, tOSU, Iowa & Cornell have been killing it in recruiting. And yes, we have too lately, just phenomenal. But if we want to win a team title in the next few years, we need every top guy from OK, KS & TX to be on lockdown.

Completely agree except that I’m not worried about OU. They can have the baddest RTC in the world but if they don’t win it doesn’t matter. Rosselli is getting pretty deep into the program being 100% guys and they are still struggling, badly.

Some of that is just from the growth and popularity of college wrestling and its resurgence. It’s great for the sport and great for OSU. Sure RTC’s are playing a role but guys can now go to more places and get high level coaching and exposure than ever before.

This area of the country and our conference needs OU to strengthen and there are concerns it won’t happen under Rosseli. Iowa St is another that is good to see building again.

And as of now we haven’t been and are not losing any plan A guys to our neighbors down south.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Some of that is just from the growth and popularity of college wrestling and its resurgence. It’s great for the sport and great for OSU. Sure RTC’s are playing a role but guys can now go to more places and get high level coaching and exposure than ever before.

This area of the country and our conference needs OU to strengthen and there are concerns it won’t happen under Rosseli. Iowa St is another that is good to see building again.

And as of now we haven’t been and are not losing any plan A guys to our neighbors down south.

Last 2 points...

The first is I don't understand this talk about Picklo not being plan A. How does anyone know how high a priority he was? Because the coaches didn't talk to him in August? The only plan A guys seem to have been Amos & Ferrari. Based on that post on the Ohio St board, the coaches thought they had a shot at landing both of them. When Amos verballed to Wiscy on 9/13, the coaches then visited Picklo on 9/16. They went for the grand slam and then adjusted. We don't know where Picklo fell in line with next group like Mastro & Voinovich. And remember, as good as Surber is, Picklo beat him in both freestyle & greco this summer.

The other thing is whether a strong OU is good for us or not. I know I'm in the minority, but I say no. Besides PSU & tOSU being in strong wrestling states, they have proven they can pull in top recruits from anywhere in the country. We are at a distinct disadvantage. We need to lock down the local studs and then pick our spots elsewhere. We can't lose out on a Jordan Williams or a Zack Blankenship. And for those that think that can't happen, what happens if Demas wins a title next year & Molinaro wins an Olympic medal? That somehow helps us? OU is like a 3rd party candidate with the potential to steal some votes. Better to crush them so they can't cause any damage (sorry Micco).

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Last 2 points...

The first is I don't understand this talk about Picklo not being plan A. How does anyone know how high a priority he was? Because the coaches didn't talk to him in August? The only plan A guys seem to have been Amos & Ferrari. Based on that post on the Ohio St board, the coaches thought they had a shot at landing both of them. When Amos verballed to Wiscy on 9/13, the coaches then visited Picklo on 9/16. They went for the grand slam and then adjusted. We don't know where Picklo fell in line with next group like Mastro & Voinovich. And remember, as good as Surber is, Picklo beat him in both freestyle & greco this summer.

The other thing is whether a strong OU is good for us or not. I know I'm in the minority, but I say no. Besides PSU & tOSU being in strong wrestling states, they have proven they can pull in top recruits from anywhere in the country. We are at a distinct disadvantage. We need to lock down the local studs and then pick our spots elsewhere. We can't lose out on a Jordan Williams or a Zack Blankenship. And for those that think that can't happen, what happens if Demas wins a title next year & Molinaro wins an Olympic medal? That somehow helps us? OU is like a 3rd party candidate with the potential to steal some votes. Better to crush them so they can't cause any damage (sorry Micco).

The downturn in Big 12 wrestling also played a role in our drop from the top and will continue to hamper our recruiting efforts if it doesn’t get better.

The top guys want to wrestle in the best conference, the best duals and in front of big crowds. We need ISU and OU to become top 15-20 type programs. We need NIU, Wyoming, etc to continue to strengthen.

I just think it is pretty obvious we don’t have a ton of money for 21 and are after some huge fish. We have to be picky. We didn’t reach out to Picklo until a couple months back. I had actual heard we were in good shape with him recently. I have to imagine his brother transferring was a big factor.

Sucks to lose him but it isn’t anything to lose sleep over. We are killing it in recruiting and the 21 class is going to be very good.

Last 2 points...

They wanted Picklo. They want Mastro and Voinovich more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT