ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

So, he is part of the ‘21-‘22 class right? Do you, or anybody else, know who we have for that class?
He Young (19) would be part of the 21 recruiting class along with Victor Voinovich (12), Travis Mastrogiavanni (39), Kyle Haas (18) plus a number of guys not rated in the top 100 such as ( Birdwell, Travis, Mechler). Mastro rating ( certified to wrestle 141) should be much better but Flo knocked him down because he did not wrestle at all last year except where he got wrecked at 160 by Gallagher at who's number 1. Also Youngs great summer results was not part of his rating. In general Flo's ratings of many of our recruits the last 2 years was way off many did not wrestle much as seniors examples Ferrari rated 9th in his class and Plott ranked 10.

Last edited:
Harley.
What do we make out.of Young beating Seth Gross. High School kid beating a bunch of tough kids to finish third. What are the realistic expectations for.this kids ceiling?

He Young (19) would be part of the 21 recruiting class along with Victor Voinovich (12), Travis Mastrogiavanni (39), Kyle Haas (18) plus a number of guys not rated in the top 100 such as ( Birdwell, Travis, Mechler). Mastro rating ( certified to wrestle 141) should be much better but Flo knocked him down because he did not wrestle at all last year except where he got wrecked at 160 by Gallagher at who's number 1. Also Youngs great summer results was not part of his rating. In general Flo's ratings of many of our recruits the last 2 years was way off many did not wrestle much as seniors examples Ferrari rated 9th in his class and Plott ranked 10 because they did not wrestle as seniors
Thanks

Time will tell but I just watched him at Junior trials where he got to the finals but got manhandled by Mendez. He jumped a level in wrestling from May at Junior trials to September at Senior trials. He seems way better on his feet in September. I don't understand how he beat Gross, Graff and Garrett but he did. He seems better at freestyle than folkstyle because he has a very good leg lase and exposure moves that won't get him anything in folkstyle. Also he is a battler and so I think his potential is to be a National Champ. However I think they should redshirt him and let him practice and lift weights and grow into a 141. This year the winner of Hone vs. Travis Mastro should wrestle 141 ( just my opinion though).

From what i saw he has a great leg attack. Nobody takes Gross down and you have a high school kid doing it. Beating Garrett also is way impressive too.

Reactions: osu2082
Time will tell but I just watched him at Junior trials where he got to the finals but got manhandled by Mendez. He jumped a level in wrestling from May at Junior trials to September at Senior trials. He seems way better on his feet in September. I don't understand how he beat Gross, Graff and Garrett but he did. He seems better at freestyle than folkstyle because he has a very good leg lase and exposure moves that won't get him anything in folkstyle. Also he is a battler and so I think his potential is to be a National Champ. However I think they should redshirt him and let him practice and lift weights and grow into a 141. This year the winner of Hone vs. Travis Mastro should wrestle 141 ( just my opinion though).
This, free and folk are different and I think the comment about time in the weight room someone mentioned earlier is the key. The ability to ride defines a great folk vs free wrestler.

He Young (19) would be part of the 21 recruiting class along with Victor Voinovich (12), Travis Mastrogiavanni (39), Kyle Haas (18) plus a number of guys not rated in the top 100 such as ( Birdwell, Travis, Mechler). Mastro rating ( certified to wrestle 141) should be much better but Flo knocked him down because he did not wrestle at all last year except where he got wrecked at 160 by Gallagher at who's number 1. Also Youngs great summer results was not part of his rating. In general Flo's ratings of many of our recruits the last 2 years was way off many did not wrestle much as seniors examples Ferrari rated 9th in his class and Plott ranked 10.
As you mentioned, Carter's WTT was not reflected in his final ranking because Flo last updated their 2021 Big Board in May.

Another guy who could have jumped up is Luke Mechler. He AA'd at Fargo and one of his wins was over #52 Michael Caliendo (NDSU recruit). Caliendo is legit and has a couple of top 10 PFP wins himself. I like Mechler and think a case could be made that he is top 100.

Last edited:
This, free and folk are different and I think the comment about time in the weight room someone mentioned earlier is the key. The ability to ride defines a great folk vs free wrestler.
I would modify that a bit, and say the ability to score back points while riding.

Top twenty recruits are Voinivich, Haas, and Young. Not as many big recruits like last year, but you cannot do that every year.

This is a really big deal. The base level thing we have to do to get back where we want as program is making sure elite talent in Oklahoma goes to OSU. Picklo was a kick in the mid section and we need to make sure that doesn't happen again.

The coaches have to develop it but the amount of young talent in the OSU room is exciting. We can line up blue chippers at damn near every weight for the future.

I know everyone is incredibly down on John's unwillingness to brace the RTC system (and fans aren't wrong) but hats off to John for making some tough choices and changing our recruiting approach. It has been working.

This is a really big deal. The base level thing we have to do to get back where we want as program is making sure elite talent in Oklahoma goes to OSU. Picklo was a kick in the mid section and we need to make sure that doesn't happen again.

The coaches have to develop it but the amount of young talent in the OSU room is exciting. We can line up blue chippers at damn near every weight for the future.

I know everyone is incredibly down on John's unwillingness to brace the RTC system (and fans aren't wrong) but hats off to John for making some tough choices and changing our recruiting approach. It has been working.
What weight is Picklo projected to wrestle?

With all th BS happening with OU, what are the chances Picklo; (1, leaves OU; (2, comes to OSU?

Not sure what BS you are talking about but I was told at one point the coaches thought Picklo would be committing to OSU. His twin sister is at OSU.

No reason to think Picklo would ever leave OU but if he did I would guess OSU would be pretty high on his list.

Not sure what BS you are talking about but I was told at one point the coaches thought Picklo would be committing to OSU. His twin sister is at OSU.

No reason to think Picklo would ever leave OU but if he did I would guess OSU would be pretty high on his list.

I think he is referencing the potential that OU wresting leaves the big 12 or potentially gets away from either supporting wresting or dropping the sport all together (which I don’t think will happen).

I think “if” Picklo ever left then OSU will be one of his top options. AJ could potentially be a problem but timeline of a potential transfer could offset that. He strongly considered coming here the first time.

Reactions: Air_Thurman

100% agree

Reactions: Air_Thurman

You would think unless he has a beef with OSU

Reactions: bbpoke
If he is a 197 pounder he does not want to sit behind AJ for four years. Picklo is a stud and needs to be starting somewhere and I like it that he is at OU instead of Penn State or Iowa.
I thought he was 197. Currently not much opportunity at OSU to get in the lineup at that weight.

If he is a 197 pounder he does not want to sit behind AJ for four years. Picklo is a stud and needs to be starting somewhere and I like it that he is at OU instead of Penn State or Iowa.

He is a year behind AJ, has a RS year available and it’s possible AJ bumps to heavy sometime his last 2 years so there could potentially just be 1 year of overlap “if” he ended up at OSU.

OU leaving the Big 12 to a conference that doesn't wrestle

I would be surprised if they do not stay in the Big 12 for wrestling. Too many reasons that are good for wrestling that they do and the Mizzou deal shows why it should occur.

I would be surprised if they do not stay in the Big 12 for wrestling. Too many reasons that are good for wrestling that they do and the Mizzou deal shows why it should occur.

You might be right from a pure wrestling perspective. I don't know that decision will be made by the wrestling powers that be though.

These are just my opinions and I respect all of the opinions above but: 1.AJ Ferrari is not ever going to to be a heavyweight.2 Picklo is not going to leave OU. 3. OU is not going to drop wrestling. 4. OU will wrestle in the Big 12 unless the Big 12 doesn't allow it which in my opinion would be a mistake. 5. I believe Picklo can cut successfully to 184 but if he does not he will provide OU with competition at 197 for Ferrari. He is technically better than Ferrari but lacks his overall quickness and speed.
OU has recruited very well and should be better than they have been in years which is good for us and the Big 12.

Reactions: GantryZ and tom_v31
These are just my opinions and I respect all of the opinions above but: 1.AJ Ferrari is not ever going to to be a heavyweight.2 Picklo is not going to leave OU. 3. OU is not going to drop wrestling. 4. OU will wrestle in the Big 12 unless the Big 12 doesn't allow it which in my opinion would be a mistake. 5. I believe Picklo can cut successfully to 184 but if he does not he will provide OU with competition at 197 for Ferrari. He is technically better than Ferrari but lacks his overall quickness and speed.
OU has recruited very well and should be better than they have been in years which is good for us and the Big 12.

You might be 100% right but I will believe it when I see it. I've seen nothing from this OU staff that makes me think they can develop these guys.

Agree with everything Oberebo typed. Also I hope we get Williams. Smaller guys are generally top recruits, but there are so many top recruits weighing less than 141 they rarely pan out like a Ferreri.

I 100% agree

You might be 100% right but I will believe it when I see it. I've seen nothing from this OU staff that makes me think they can develop these guys.
I would be surprised if OU can’t start developing some of their talent. They obviously can recruit and they are getting a pretty decent staff, specially with the addition of hazewinkel. I have to be up front with everyone, and I’ll just say it; I am a rabid OSU fan and I don’t hate OU. There, I said it and I feel better for getting that off of my chest. 😉

I would be surprised if OU can’t start developing some of their talent. They obviously can recruit and they are getting a pretty decent staff, specially with the addition of hazewinkel. I have to be up front with everyone, and I’ll just say it; I am a rabid OSU fan and I don’t hate OU. There, I said it and I feel better for getting that off of my chest. 😉

The next guy the OU staff develops will be their first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT