ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Lol, we need to funnel some money through Caldwell to Haas. There’s got to be a way to do it legally.

Intermat is showing we picked up a JUCO transfer a couple of days ago - Dallas Wilson, a 125 out of Kansas. He lost at state to NEO's Boo Dryden, who just committed to Minny recently.

Seth Shumate verballed to Ohio State. A little surprising since he is the class of 2022. Says he will be a 184/197, but you have to think he ends up at 197 or heavy.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Maybe I don't understand recruiting these days. Is it actually allowed to contact sophomores, and encourage them to commit?

Flo released their 2021 big board. Some rankings of note:

#4- Little Mastro
#6- Haas
#11- Voinovich
#14- Picklo
#49- Tucker Owens
#61- Cougar Andersen

Reactions: JAY45
Shumate & his family have been connected to them for a while.

Two things are kinda interesting though. First is the timing, why announce now? The last guy I remember announcing before his sophomore year started was Adam Busiello. And second, does anyone recall seeing a recruit list his projected weight when committing (he tweeted 184/197)?

I see Shumate as a college 197 - which is where Amos plans to go.

Shumate & his family have been connected to them for a while.

Two things are kinda interesting though. First is the timing, why announce now? The last guy I remember announcing before his sophomore year started was Adam Busiello. And second, does anyone recall seeing a recruit list his projected weight when committing (he tweeted 184/197)?

I see Shumate as a college 197 - which is where Amos plans to go.
I watched him in a couple of tournaments this year and Schumate is a beast especially if he keeps developing. When I watched the Ferrari interview I did not like how he talked about Bo Nickel. Although Penn. St. has the California HWT who gray shirted and likely will take a redshirt this next year. This may influence Ferrari who plans to wrestle HWT. I hope for some good recruiting news soon concerning Ferrari and Amos. Penn. St. about 5 years ago recruited a highly rated HWT from instate but then recruited over him to get the older brother of the California HWT I earlier mentioned. By the way that HWT got beat out after all American years by the HWT who beat Derek in the finals. Would we do that in the case of Doucet by signing Ferrari. I think we want to win a National title and so I think that we would? (I think they cut their offer to the instate HWT before he signed).

Don't take this is not wanting AJ. I would take him in a heartbeat. However, if he is dead set on being a heavy I think you could make an argument singing Amos is a little more important. I think long-term 197 is a bigger hole than heavy.

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
Even with Ferrari (hvy) & Amos (197) recently stating their target weights, there are still a lot of unknowns.

Can Doucet make 197 (or even 184)? Can Haas make 197 (he was warming up in shorts & a tee shirt 2 days before Cadets, so he wasn't cutting for 92 kg)? Can Plott make 174 (he wrestled 79 kg at Junior trials)?

So many possibilities to form a terrific lineup.

Even with Ferrari (hvy) & Amos (197) recently stating their target weights, there are still a lot of unknowns.

Can Doucet make 197 (or even 184)? Can Haas make 197 (he was warming up in shorts & a tee shirt 2 days before Cadets, so he wasn't cutting for 92 kg)? Can Plott make 174 (he wrestled 79 kg at Junior trials)?

So many possibilities to form a terrific lineup.
Flow did their 2022 prospect ratings and we are possibly tied to many top prospects in 2022. Such as: Anthony Ferrari rated 7, Jordan Williams rated 8. Rylan Rogers rated 11, John Wiley rated 18 ( Biggest riser), Zac Blankenship rated 19, all these guys obviously are in the top 20 rated wrestlers for 2022. If our momentum continues the future could be very bright.

I hate to Harley this thread, but signing date for all of these kids is in the future. If we need to do something on the RTC we need to get after it.

I hate to Harley this thread, but signing date for all of these kids is in the future. If we need to do something on the RTC we need to get after it.
OSUMatFan, I want to agree with you however, I am no lawyer but the way the RTC's are being run currently I believe they are in violation of NCAA rules. I am erring on the side of caution and believe we should wait and see if the NCAA will clarify it. We are doing great in recruiting in my opinion without the emphasis on the RTC's. They would help a bunch more but I guess I am a "Fraidy cat".

We definitely need the structure in place to make this happen. As a contributor to the Cowboy Wrestling Club I am shocked that I do not get an annual solicitation to contribute. If this were better more money would go their direction from me and many others.

We definitely need the structure in place to make this happen. As a contributor to the Cowboy Wrestling Club I am shocked that I do not get an annual solicitation to contribute. If this were better more money would go their direction from me and many others.
I totally agree with you about contributions. I contributed to the club for several years and I was never asked to renew but did anyway. I quit 2-3 years ago but I believe I will start contributing again.Season tickets are a real bargain and have been for many years. However, as many of you have mentioned it is going to take big donors to really grow the RTC. I believe all of the 9.9 scholarships have been endowed so I do not think this is an expense for the wrestling program.

OSUMatFan, I want to agree with you however, I am no lawyer but the way the RTC's are being run currently I believe they are in violation of NCAA rules. I am erring on the side of caution and believe we should wait and see if the NCAA will clarify it. We are doing great in recruiting in my opinion without the emphasis on the RTC's. They would help a bunch more but I guess I am a "Fraidy cat".

There is smoke on this subject. It was a big talking point at the coaching convention and for the first time several prominent coaches spoke out about the issues and potential NCAA issues with the current RTC setup.

There is no question the way they are currently structured and being run that they are illegal in terms of NCAA. Now the NCAA hasn’t and may never care but without clear word from the NCAA unfortunately you won’t see OSU dive head first into this as others have.

Mike Holder is not going down that path if there is any chance it brings the NCAA to town. The NCAA has it’s own way of handling things and I’d just as soon not be the example. Ask Dez Bryant if they treat everyone the same. Penn State can do it for 10 years and the second Ok State does it they drop the hammer on us.

Markus Simmons (pup) recently transferred to OSU from ISU. Good pickup at 133 especially considering Kaid is hurt.

Really good depth pickup who has shown some flashes of really good talent. Should be a nice fill in this year.

You would think we would hear news on AJ and/or Amos before long. It would be nice to put a cherry on the top of this class soon.

You would think we would hear news on AJ and/or Amos before long. It would be nice to put a cherry on the top of this class soon.

AJ had his official at tOSU this weekend. PSU has a home game next weekend. We should be after that - maybe the 28th vs Kansas St?

Braxton said he has officials with VTech & Wisc. Don't know when they are.

Somebody needs to let Amos know how red a state Oklahoma is. I stumbled onto his twitter & he’s like Rush Limbaugh jr.

Don't know if this was a factor or not...

When Amos verballed to Wiscy, my first thought was they are the only school in his top 5 that don't have a clear heavyweight prospect on the horizon. I just looked at Wiscy's roster and last year they also signed Peter Christensen, one of the top 195s in the country (#23 overall on the Flo big board).

If nothing else, Wiscy offers some flexibility weight wise should Amos end up at 285.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT