ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

I looked at an article on Flo about who is wrestling at 23 and under nationals and it was the guys you mentioned still. It is hard to understand why there has been such inactivity for our wrestlers during the freestyle season?
Yeah I’ve been very surprised by it but I think a lot of wrestlers are in different stages. I think Plott and Sheets are recovering from surgery. I think Mastro, Fix, Wittlake, and Ferrari are dealing with minor injuries because of the toughness of the season and they want to be fresh for the 2021-2022 season. Geer is still deciding if he wants to wrestle but I’ve heard he’s leaning on coming back. Also why we didn’t see Voinovich or younger Mastro at Junior trials is they could be preparing to go as true freshman or at least one of them.

Reactions: DPJ
I would love to have Jordan Willams. I just don’t know where he would fit he’s a 49/57 and we have voinovich and young Mastro. I see Willams as more of a luxury unless he can make 141 for a while.

I just looked on Rokfin and we have
Jalin Harper 74KG
Kyle Haas 86KG
Luke Surber 92KG
Konnor Doucet 125KG
More could register but not sure would love to see wittlake and others compete. BTW I saw on Dustin Plott’s Instagram story that he was in a sling but I don’t know if he had surgery.
so far today
Harper 2-0
Haas 0-1 injury defaulted looked like a knee
Surber 1-0
Doucet 1-0

Surber and Doucet looked like men against boys that first match.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
I read a while back that Haas was living with Caldwell in Stillwater, if Caldwell somehow got guardianship then Haas would go to college free as a dependent of a University Employee and not take up any of the 9.9. I don’t know if this is true but I hope with all the big names coming in that I’m not the first one to think of it.

I don't think Sam Smith is wrestling in the NHSCA duals, but Cooper Birdwell is. He has 4 pins and a major right now.

I read a while back that Haas was living with Caldwell in Stillwater, if Caldwell somehow got guardianship then Haas would go to college free as a dependent of a University Employee and not take up any of the 9.9. I don’t know if this is true but I hope with all the big names coming in that I’m not the first one to think of it.
dependents do not go to OSU free...I can guarantee you that! 50% reduced tuition only

that does not include "fees" which are as much as actual tuition. Definitely not free. Do you need me to post the kids bursar bill?
Not necessary. You said 50% reduced tuition only. OHkie posted where undergrad tuition is 100% free plus a link confirming it. I believe you that there are fees not covered. 50% tuition(your words) is 100% not 100% tuition. Agree?

Not necessary. You said 50% reduced tuition only. OHkie posted where undergrad tuition is 100% free plus a link confirming it. I believe you that there are fees not covered. 50% tuition(your words) is 100% not 100% tuition. Agree?
195235255_4508828022558722_7001855631488389935_n.jpg

Not sure if that gives the entire picture. First, they take off any scholarships you receive, then they give you the waiver. You would think that the waiver would pay all tuition, and then the scholarship applied to the rest. So, the waiver applies to just over 50% of the tuition, and none of the fees. I am good at making shortcuts that I understand but not everyone else makes the same leap. If that is going to college free, I would hate for him to go somewhere I had to pay!

Reactions: OHkie and turfpoke
Cody Chittum committed to Minnesota. Was hoping we had a shot at him.

He’s a tough kid.
Yes he is tough and I"m glad he is not going to Iowa or Penn. St. He is the guy that wrecked Jordan Williams earlier this year and then decommitted.

Wasn't Jordan wrestling up about 25 pounds?
He was definitely giving up a lot of size. Before the match you think pretty highly of your skills, after getting the shit whooped out of you it seems like maybe a bad idea. I experienced that a few times.

Jordan Willams has listed his top five of Oklahoma State, OU, Missouri, Nebraska, and North Carolina. I think he would be a great get if either him or voinovich can make 141 for a little while

It seems like Voinovich & Mastro are slotted for 149/157, but it would be great if they could fill 141/149 in some combination.

Mastro probably naturally weighs less than Voinovich. He was 150.4 when he lost to Gabe Arnold (Arnold was 162.3). And the Flo guys said he weighed in @ 151 for WNO when he lost to Gallagher in the 160 lb match. Mastro has been weighing in light for years on full feed and full hydration.

It seems like Voinovich & Mastro are slotted for 149/157, but it would be great if they could fill 141/149 in some combination.

Mastro probably naturally weighs less than Voinovich. He was 150.4 when he lost to Gabe Arnold (Arnold was 162.3). And the Flo guys said he weighed in @ 151 for WNO when he lost to Gallagher in the 160 lb match. Mastro has been weighing in light for years on full feed and full hydration.
I agree they are probably looking to go 49/57. I think Mastro has a bigger frame but Voinovich is kinda Daton like frame wise. Daton wrestled 125 as a redshirt after going 132 as a senior. I think voinovich could be similar with possibly him making 141 as a true freshman but it kinda depends on what weight he goes for Serbia at junior worlds because if it’s 65KG that’s like 143 and 141 wouldn’t be far off. I think Mastro could definitely make 149 as a true freshman but grow into 157. Really we just need another stud in the 141-157 range weather it be Jordan Willams or Nic Bouzakis or Real Woods or possibly multiple people. I think if we get another stud then they can figure out the weight situations. There is room for another stud.

Reactions: osu2082
Pistols firing just posted that Voinovich is going to be wrestling at 70KG for junior worlds which is 154. Heck who knows voinovich could be a 157 and little Mastro could be a 149 it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. I do think that with OSU recruiting Jordan Willams is should be more likely that they want him at 141.

Pistols firing just posted that Voinovich is going to be wrestling at 70KG for junior worlds which is 154. Heck who knows voinovich could be a 157 and little Mastro could be a 149 it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. I do think that with OSU recruiting Jordan Willams is should be more likely that they want him at 141.

I think very recently conversations with the family point to Voinovich being 149 in Stillwater.

I Think you are right that if the Cowboys recruit Jordan hard it is for 141. 149/157 you have Young Mastro, Voinovich and Anthony Ferrari. Now each of these guys could grow or not grow but my opinion is 149 is best for Voinovich and Mastro but the loser if they can't make 141 would need to go to 157. Ferrari's best weight right now would seem to be 157. We don't need another 49/57 but I don't seen any long range answers for 141. This year Jordan cut down to 38 for the dual with Stillwater to beat Carter Young. His coach after wrestling Chittum said he could make 38 easy and maybe even 32 if he had to. If he can wrestle 141 for few years we would be doing fantastic to get him. I would prefer Bouzakis but who knows if we will get him.

I Think you are right that if the Cowboys recruit Jordan hard it is for 141. 149/157 you have Young Mastro, Voinovich and Anthony Ferrari. Now each of these guys could grow or not grow but my opinion is 149 is best for Voinovich and Mastro but the loser if they can't make 141 would need to go to 157. Ferrari's best weight right now would seem to be 157. We don't need another 49/57 but I don't seen any long range answers for 141. This year Jordan cut down to 38 for the dual with Stillwater to beat Carter Young. His coach after wrestling Chittum said he could make 38 easy and maybe even 32 if he had to. If he can wrestle 141 for few years we would be doing fantastic to get him. I would prefer Bouzakis but who knows if we will get him.
Yeah I agree I think Ferrari will start at 157 but grow into 165 after wittlake graduates. I think bouzakis would be the top guy we’re after in 2022 but I think if we could get at least Willams we would be in great shape. I agree 141 is the major need however we get someone will be great. Also I think we could fit Bouzakis and Willams if we were able to get both.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
Also I watched the Jordan Willams vs hunter garvin match on YouTube and Willams definitely looked smaller. It looked like he wasn’t cutting very much weight

Mastro is tall but very thin, similar to his brother. I bet he weighs less than someone like Kevin Jack. If he walks around in the low 150s, 141 should be a pretty easy cut for him. J Jaggers said he used to cut down from the 160s to wrestle 141. The issue is Mastro doesn't like to cut weight.

Mineo is now mentioning Bouzakis as a possibility for us.

OhioSt, PSU, Iowa & OU are all pushing hard for him. He took his OhioSt official this weekend, along with Mendez & Rylan Rogers.

Pretty much a must get. He checks all the boxes - character, talent, work ethic, weight...

Mineo is now mentioning Bouzakis as a possibility for us.

OhioSt, PSU, Iowa & OU are all pushing hard for him. He took his OhioSt official this weekend, along with Mendez & Rylan Rogers.

Pretty much a must get. He checks all the boxes - character, talent, work ethic, weight...
On willies show today he mentioned that Bouzakis could start at 133. He’s a must get and they can figure out the weight situation later

Willie came out with a new thing on his matscouts Rokfin and its class of 2022 school lists. We made the list for a lot of top ranked guys.
2. Nic Bouzakis-141
13. Joey Cruz-125
14. Jordan Willams-141/149
17. James Rowley-184
19. Cory Land-125/133
34. Aiden Riggens-165
35. Jore Volk-125/133
59. Zach Blankenship-141
114. Nash Singleton- 141

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT