ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

The chances of getting Woods shrunk because I just saw where Stanford isn't cutting their sports.
Great News for Stanford but is not good for us but he could still leave but idk. Makes Nic Bouzakis all that more important because he would probably start as a true freshman

I’m happy that Stanford kept their program. That would have been a Real shame....pun intended. Let’s get Hone healthy and to the next level. Gfeller needs to find that fire in his belly that we have seen before.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
Matscouts came out with there recruiting class rankings and we came in at #6. They said we have the high end potential with Voinovich and Mastro and think Voinovich with be a great starter in due time. Willie didn’t like that Mastro and Haas didn’t wrestle this past season but said they had high potential. Was concerned with were Haas fits in with a logjam at 197. (Personally I think Haas fits in at 184 and maybe even 174 early he didn’t look very big when he was wrestling at 86 KG and he was definitely leaned out)

Flo's 2021 recruiting class rankings are out now. We're #6 with them also.

FWIW, recruiting class rankings offer little value IMO. They don't take transfers into account and they don't weight stars enough. OU has the top 152 & 195 coming in, yet they're ranked #9 as a class.

Flo's 2021 recruiting class rankings are out now. We're #6 with them also.

FWIW, recruiting class rankings offer little value IMO. They don't take transfers into account and they don't weight stars enough. OU has the top 152 & 195 coming in, yet they're ranked #9 as a class.
Flo guys talked about this years recruiting classes and they were fairly negative about the Cowboys class. They like Voinovich, CP still saw potential for Haas and they didn't think much of Young Mastro. The loss to Gallagher really dropped him in the ratings which doesn't make much sense. At the highest he is a 152 and so was outsized but I still don't know how he got manhandled like he did because the year before he wrestled very close to Facundo. But he dropped from top 12 to barely inside 40 for Flo and Willie. None of the Flo guys even wanted to talk about Mastro?

Flo guys talked about this years recruiting classes and they were fairly negative about the Cowboys class. They like Voinovich, CP still saw potential for Haas and they didn't think much of Young Mastro. The loss to Gallagher really dropped him in the ratings which doesn't make much sense. At the highest he is a 152 and so was outsized but I still don't know how he got manhandled like he did because the year before he wrestled very close to Facundo. But he dropped from top 12 to barely inside 40 for Flo and Willie. None of the Flo guys even wanted to talk about Mastro?
I don’t take much stock in what most of the Flo guys say. They seem to be more into jerking around than giving good information. I’ve completely quit watching them. Without Willie they don’t have much. I could care less about Dogecoin, Bitcoin, or whatever other currency they are discussing. CP is annoying. Their live show during the NCAAs and Big 12s without any video, because they don’t have the rights, was painful and a complete failure. Who wants to watch 3 or 4 dudes discuss wrestling without seeing it? Good idea, poor execution. They can go ahead and not do that again. I was wondering if they had more viewers than commentators.

I really don't see a good reason for Flo to have dropped Mastro to #39 on the big board. He missed his senior year, but it wasn't due to an injury like AJ & Dustin.

There are a lot of ways to look at the big board, but I think the easiest is projected career points at nationals. Will 38 guys outscore Mastro's 4 year total? Not likely.

I do really enjoy Mike Mal. The rest of them, excluding Askren, I’m not even sure they wrestled.
I am not a big fan of Flo but I subscribe for the coverage of some tournaments. I am starved for wrestling in the off season and I agree their commentators are not the greatest. I really like how Track covers their tournaments and it is much easier to navigate.

Read on Flo that Austin Gomez has some visits set up for when the dead period is over. He’s scheduled to visit Oklahoma state, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Wyoming and is in the process of getting a visit to Nc State. Great news he would be a great get and I think has 3 years of eligibility left.

Reactions: turfpoke
Gomez might have trouble getting cleared by our medical staff. Triston Wills couldn't, which led to him transferring to Little Rock.

IDK, at this point if Woods is no longer an option, I think I'd start Teague Travis @ 141 and save the $ for 2022 recruits. Bouzakis is the big one obviously, but also Blankenship & Cruz. Maybe even Williams if he's still in play.

Reactions: proud2bpokes
Gomez might have trouble getting cleared by our medical staff. Triston Wills couldn't, which led to him transferring to Little Rock.

IDK, at this point if Woods is no longer an option, I think I'd start Teague Travis @ 141 and save the $ for 2022 recruits. Bouzakis is the big one obviously, but also Blankenship & Cruz. Maybe even Williams if he's still in play.
Honestly don’t see Teague beating a healthy Hone .

I would throw last year out for Hone . I think we get a 2020 version. Which would be a qualifier and maybe win a few matches at the ncaa’s . Gomez I think is a blood round guy low end all American.

Reactions: osu2082
Is Hone coming back confirmed? He was in the HS class of 2014, so I thought he might be moving on. Would be nice to see him finally get a chance to wrestle at nationals.

Also, does anyone know if Geer is coming back?

Hone is in Stillwater. I do not know why everyone is writing off G. He was severely injured and really got very little mat time before the Big 12's and NCAA. Not sure if he is coming back, but do not underestimate the effects of injuries.

Sam Smith is registered for the NHSCA duals coming up at the end of May on Flo. The only other name I recognized with OSU ties is Cody Chittum.
Wrassler17, Are you sure that this is the same Sam Smith? It does have him ranked 4th at 106 which is how Flo ranks him so it must be but he is now at 120. Just wanted to know if you have other confirmation?

Hone is in Stillwater. I do not know why everyone is writing off G. He was severely injured and really got very little mat time before the Big 12's and NCAA. Not sure if he is coming back, but do not underestimate the effects of injuries.

Because he has shown time and time again that he hasn’t been able to mentally and physically do what it takes to wrestle at his potential which is what it will take for him to get into the lineup. He has been on thin ice here a few different times.

Can he change? Sure, but I wouldn’t bet on it at this point which is a shame for him and our program.

Because he has shown time and time again that he hasn’t been able to mentally and physically do what it takes to wrestle at his potential which is what it will take for him to get into the lineup. He has been on thin ice here a few different times.

Can he change? Sure, but I wouldn’t bet on it at this point which is a shame for him and our program.
Hey @osu2082 turns out I know a kid named Buttram from Bixbys family. How good a prospect is he? I would believe he is an Osu lock if he’s good enough.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Yes . he is wrestling announced on social media.

Wrassler17, Are you sure that this is the same Sam Smith? It does have him ranked 4th at 106 which is how Flo ranks him so it must be but he is now at 120. Just wanted to know if you have other confirmation?
Obe, I was just going off the Flo article, so I don't have any further confirmation.

NHSCA duals are day before weigh-ins with +3 allowance. So Sam might be wrestling 120 (123) or 113 (116).

Hey @osu2082 turns out I know a kid named Buttram from Bixbys family. How good a prospect is he? I would believe he is an Osu lock if he’s good enough.

As of now he is on that level and appears to be on the track of being a high end national level recruit that OSU will be interested in.

Really good family and kid.

Read on Flo that Austin Gomez has some visits set up for when the dead period is over. He’s scheduled to visit Oklahoma state, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Wyoming and is in the process of getting a visit to Nc State. Great news he would be a great get and I think has 3 years of eligibility left.
Ugh, just what we need, Iowa to get another outstanding transfer... pshaw :)

Ugh, just what we need, Iowa to get another outstanding transfer... pshaw :)
If I remember right (and nowadays that is a crap shoot), He originally retired from wrestling due to multiple concussions. If that is the case Wrassler17 could be right about having trouble passing our physical.

Austin Gomez is good, but I doubt John would put up any scholarship money for him. He really never faired that well in the Big 12 tournament. He has also been injured since then.

U23s are next weekend. I saw Burks is already registered for freestyle & greco. Hopefully we have some guys competing.

Austin Gomez is good, but I doubt John would put up any scholarship money for him. He really never faired that well in the Big 12 tournament. He has also been injured since then.

If you weren't concerned about his injury I think he is a no brainer. He wrestled one year and went 3-1 with his loss coming to Bridges. I wouldn't hold that against him too much. If remember right he gave Daton some pretty closes matches and he had some pretty impressive wins. He pinned RBY.

Not saying he is a world beater or anything but if healthy he is pretty intriguing IMO.

Looks like Angelo Ferrari wrestled in the Spartan duals this weekend on Flo. Pinned the guy in semis, then lost 5-4 to Cardenas in the finals.

KJ Evans also wrestled, won by tech in semis, then lost by tech in the finals to Herrera-Rondon. Evans may not be ranked right now, but he is super explosive. We need to get him as part of our 2023 class.

U23s are next weekend. I saw Burks is already registered for freestyle & greco. Hopefully we have some guys competing.
I just looked on Rokfin and we have
Jalin Harper 74KG
Kyle Haas 86KG
Luke Surber 92KG
Konnor Doucet 125KG
More could register but not sure would love to see wittlake and others compete. BTW I saw on Dustin Plott’s Instagram story that he was in a sling but I don’t know if he had surgery.

Was hoping to also see Daton, Montalvo & Wittlake. Montalvo hasn't competed in a while and this is the last year he's U23 eligible I believe. And it will be the first non covid year that Daton is not on a world team since 2013.

What does everyone make of Surber still going 92 kg 2 months after nationals? Seems like he would be at 97 kg by now if the plan was to go heavy next year. Maybe going 197, with AJ going heavy?

AJ will do great at heavyweight. The ability for him to do the splits will pretty much ensure that takedowns against him at heavyweight will be few and far between. Surber should do great at 197.

I think the plan should be for Ferrari to go 197 for 1 more year and let Suber redshirt then go Ferrari 285 for the rest of his career and Surber would have 4 years at 197. That would probably mean that Haas has to go 184 to get into the lineup.

Reactions: osu2082
That would be awesome if that is what works. Glad that Hass might make 184 as that gives us some long-term options. What is up with the name OK_Longhorn. My daughter graduated from UT and I am found of the school, but your name could mean entirely something else.

That would be awesome if that is what works. Glad that Hass might make 184 as that gives us some long-term options. What is up with the name OK_Longhorn. My daughter graduated from UT and I am found of the school, but your name could mean entirely something else.
I made this account at first for it to be a Texas football account but I’ve just found it easier to have conversations over here and there is a lot more to talk about. I’ve thought about changing it but idk what would be good.

I think the plan should be for Ferrari to go 197 for 1 more year and let Suber redshirt then go Ferrari 285 for the rest of his career and Surber would have 4 years at 197. That would probably mean that Haas has to go 184 to get into the lineup.
That's a pretty good option. Gable is probably gone after this year too.

Lots of questions with the lineup...

Can Plott hold 174 (and stay healthy)? Can Haas make 184? Also, AJ wants to win world medals, but how big can he get? 240 is a tweener, a tough cut to 97 kg and too small for 125 kg. He would probably need to wrestle heavy at either 230 or 250.

Same with the lower weights. Can Mastro hold 125? If not, Cruz becomes a priority. If yes, Blankenship could go 133.

That's a pretty good option. Gable is probably gone after this year too.

Lots of questions with the lineup...

Can Plott hold 174 (and stay healthy)? Can Haas make 184? Also, AJ wants to win world medals, but how big can he get? 240 is a tweener, a tough cut to 97 kg and too small for 125 kg. He would probably need to wrestle heavy at either 230 or 250.

Same with the lower weights. Can Mastro hold 125? If not, Cruz becomes a priority. If yes, Blankenship could go 133.
All great points and I can see a lot of different scenarios playing out. I think Ferrari is a 97KG guy also I don’t think he has the frame to hold 250. I think he would be a perfect HWT at
230-235 and the cut to 97KG would be about what he does right now to get to 197

Its not just the injuries.....he's hasn't been focused on his craft the last couple years. That hunger he came in with is no longer there. The company he keeps around him hasn't been the best of influences. If he get right, and that's a big ass if....he can do damage, but quite honestly, I don't see him ever being a major contributer.

I just looked on Rokfin and we have
Jalin Harper 74KG
Kyle Haas 86KG
Luke Surber 92KG
Konnor Doucet 125KG
More could register but not sure would love to see wittlake and others compete. BTW I saw on Dustin Plott’s Instagram story that he was in a sling but I don’t know if he had surgery.
I looked at an article on Flo about who is wrestling at 23 and under nationals and it was the guys you mentioned still. It is hard to understand why there has been such inactivity for our wrestlers during the freestyle season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT