ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Picklo upset Schumatte at 195 by the score 3 to 1. Great defense by Picklo. Picklo is committed to OU.
Mastro should not have taken this match. He was overpowered, head snapped to his knees, rode, picked up and thrown on his head. They had to stop the match because of a neck injury. Gallagher was going to tear up Mastro for the rest of the match. It was a mismatch. Mastro needs to wrestle guys that are his size especially when they are brutal and very talented. There are weight classes for a reason. I hope that mastro recovers quickly and doesn't have a serious neck injury.

Mastro should not have taken this match. He was overpowered, head snapped to his knees, rode, picked up and thrown on his head. They had to stop the match because of a neck injury. Gallagher was going to tear up Mastro for the rest of the match. It was a mismatch. Mastro needs to wrestle guys that are his size especially when they are brutal and very talented. There are weight classes for a reason. I hope that mastro recovers quickly and doesn't have a serious neck injury.

Sure but props to Mastrogiovanni for taking the match when many guys passed on it. That type of drive and competitiveness will take him far in his career.

Iowa has a top committment because I just watched Ayala beat Figueroa and tonight just seemed better and won in overtime.

Cody Chittum beat Iowa commitment Henson at 145. Chittum has Oklahoma State on his school list. He is a sophomore from Blair.
Wonder if Chittum will go to OTC for his senior year, or what the rules are where he was from. Flo said originally he was an 18 year old sophomore, then backed off and said he was only 17 but would turn 18 this semester. Would mean 19-20 as a senior.

Super32 entries are out. Teague Travis @ 138 (11 ranked registered), Kael Voinovich and Angelo Ferrari @ 145 (10 ranked registered), Anthony Ferrari @ 152 (12 ranked registered).

Travis is listed with his state as MO, but his HS as Stillwater.

Reactions: osu2082
Haas got murdered, Feldman seemed like a monster much quicker, much better balance, much better technique. If Haas can't throw someone he is in trouble. In the Kansas finals that kid he wrestled was very strong and good and he lost. Haas will really need to improve in his weak areas if he is going to be real good.
As one of the flo announcers said "Haas looked like an amateur". No real takedown attempts and he was taken down 6 times by Feldman. Feldman had better technique, much stronger and much bigger and was also quicker and just overall a much better wrestler. Doubtful that Haas could have thrown him if he tried. Impressed by Williams who gave up an early takedown to Mendes but kept it close and was dominant in the last minute of the match but couldn't finish several takedown moves. Mendes then went on to defeat #1 Vandevere in the finals match at 138. Williams is the smallest of the three 138 pounders and probably the youngest. Best match of the night IMO was at 125 between Jordan Titus and Dean Peterson. Incredible defense by both and Peterson won 9-8 with the winner not decided until the end. Voinovich looked good against Condomitti winning 4-3 on basis two takedown to none. He is also a beast on top. I agree with Harley it was a mismatch between Galagher and Mastro. Gallagher much bigger and stronger and was leading 7-2 when Mastro defaulted. He injured his neck when Gallagher was riding him and picked him up and tried to slam him to the mat and Mastro came straight down on his head thinking he could spin away and that was the end of that. Cody Chittum who is now a junior dec. Wyatt Henson and was dominant for two periods. Henson came back at the end to make it closer than it actually was between Ayala and Figueroa. Ayala took it to Figueroa and was by far the aggressor and won it 5-3.

As one of the flo announcers said "Haas looked like an amateur". No real takedown attempts and he was taken down 6 times by Feldman. Feldman had better technique, much stronger and much bigger and was also quicker and just overall a much better wrestler. Doubtful that Haas could have thrown him if he tried. Impressed by Williams who gave up an early takedown to Mendes but kept it close and was dominant in the last minute of the match but couldn't finish several takedown moves. Mendes then went on to defeat #1 Vandevere in the finals match at 138. Williams is the smallest of the three 138 pounders and probably the youngest. Best match of the night IMO was at 125 between Jordan Titus and Dean Peterson. Incredible defense by both and Peterson won 9-8 with the winner not decided until the end. Voinovich looked good against Condomitti winning 4-3 on basis two takedown to none. He is also a beast on top. I agree with Harley it was a mismatch between Galagher and Mastro. Gallagher much bigger and stronger and was leading 7-2 when Mastro defaulted. He injured his neck when Gallagher was riding him and picked him up and tried to slam him to the mat and Mastro came straight down on his head thinking he could spin away and that was the end of that. Cody Chittum who is now a junior dec. Wyatt Henson and was dominant for two periods. Henson came back at the end to make it closer than it actually was between Ayala and Figueroa. Ayala took it to Figueroa and was by far the aggressor and won it 5-3.
I listened to FRL today in discussing WNO and I remember them saying how lean Mastro was and that he needed a rock or 2 in his pocket to make 150. He did look almost skinny that night. They also said that Haas was thinking of possibly wrestling 195 this year and in his weigh in he was a little over 200 or maybe they said 208. He did seem light and apparently can't get heavier. He may wrestle 197 with Ferrari going up to HWT at some point. However Haas wouldn't fare well against top 197's in college if he wrestled anywhere near like he did Saturday night. Askren said he really liked and thought highly of how Voinovich wrestled. I did too. They did not know how bad Mastro was hurt but said they would check and include that in tomorrow's FRL.

I listened to FRL today in discussing WNO and I remember them saying how lean Mastro was and that he needed a rock or 2 in his pocket to make 150. He did look almost skinny that night. They also said that Haas was thinking of possibly wrestling 195 this year and in his weigh in he was a little over 200 or maybe they said 208. He did seem light and apparently can't get heavier. He may wrestle 197 with Ferrari going up to HWT at some point. However Haas wouldn't fare well against top 197's in college if he wrestled anywhere near like he did Saturday night. Askren said he really liked and thought highly of how Voinovich wrestled. I did too. They did not know how bad Mastro was hurt but said they would check and include that in tomorrow's FRL.

It's going to be interesting to see how the weights shake out. Mastro has weighed around 150 for a while now. He weighed in light for WNO while holding a bucket of chicken (literally). I know he doesn't like to cut weight, but I think there's a chance he ends up at 149 in college unless he can put on another 10 pounds or so. Actually, Voinovich/Mastro/Ferrari going 141-157 would be ideal, but I'm not sure how likely that is. BTW, Ferrari's final 3 are us, OU & Minny.

If Haas goes 197, how does a 6 ft 230 AJ Ferrari do against the current crop of athletic heavies? And if both Haas & Ferrari end up at 197, then Harley Andrews might be a possibility at heavy. He weighed in at 218 this summer with 2 years of HS left.

It's going to be interesting to see how the weights shake out. Mastro has weighed around 150 for a while now. He weighed in light for WNO while holding a bucket of chicken (literally). I know he doesn't like to cut weight, but I think there's a chance he ends up at 149 in college unless he can put on another 10 pounds or so. Actually, Voinovich/Mastro/Ferrari going 141-157 would be ideal, but I'm not sure how likely that is. BTW, Ferrari's final 3 are us, OU & Minny.

If Haas goes 197, how does a 6 ft 230 AJ Ferrari do against the current crop of athletic heavies? And if both Haas & Ferrari end up at 197, then Harley Andrews might be a possibility at heavy. He weighed in at 218 this summer with 2 years of HS left.

I think there is a good chance you can get two years of Ferrari at 197. If Covid uncertainty doesn’t force all to RS who can, I think he goes right away at 197 with Geer and Taco all bumping down. He could then go 197 again during Haas RS year.

That would give Ferrari time to bulk up and also for some of these Heavies (Paris, Gable, Cass) to move on.

I think there is a good chance you can get two years of Ferrari at 197. ....
That would give Ferrari time to bulk up and also for some of these Heavies (Paris, Gable, Cass) to move on.

Would be very difficult to bulk up while cutting to 197, wouldn't it?

Would be very difficult to bulk up while cutting to 197, wouldn't it?

Not with a full offseason after his second year of 197. He is going to be cutting down from around 215. From late March to January he would be solely focused on bulking up. Now I don’t know if physically what his body will carry but there is time to do it if that’s what they decided.

He could also take a RS after his second year of 197 in the scenario of him goi right away.

Or he is a 4 year 197 and probably a multiple time N.C. contender there and it is what it is for Haas.

Back to Chittum, I’m a bit concerned that as a high school sophomore he will be turning 18, currently as a college junior Gable Stevenson is 20. Is he really a high level wrestler or is he just a man wrestling kids, or a combination? Because of his age will he

I think there is a good chance you can get two years of Ferrari at 197. If Covid uncertainty doesn’t force all to RS who can, I think he goes right away at 197 with Geer and Taco all bumping down. He could then go 197 again during Haas RS year.

Flo is saying that there is a good chance that this year nobody will use a year of eligibility even if they wrestle this year. If passed by the NCAA that means there could be a 5 time national champ such as Ferrari.

Flo is saying that there is a good chance that this year nobody will use a year of eligibility even if they wrestle this year. If passed by the NCAA that means there could be a 5 time national champ such as Ferrari.

If they don’t make that call then I think you will see quite a few guys across the country with redshirts available (regular or OLY) take them.

There is talk about a bunch of PSU’s high level guys taking RS’s due to the uncertainty of the season (potential limited or cancelled NCAA’s).

Back to Chittum, I’m a bit concerned that as a high school sophomore he will be turning 18, currently as a college junior Gable Stevenson is 20. Is he really a high level wrestler or is he just a man wrestling kids, or a combination? Because of his age will he

I would think that the success he is having now is an indicator of his skill level. I would imagine that he has beat quite a few seniors that are older. He just beat the top ranked wrestler in Wyatt Henson, who is also older.

Concerns about age being a factor in his skill would be more justified if his success hadn't started until his jr or sr year of hs, when the age gap starts to widen.

LAst I heard, Ferrari said he won’t RS and he is going heavy weight. Could he be laying low because he is trying to surprise everyone with a bulk job right now? Has anybody heard any news about Him lately? All I see are videos of him lifting.

LAst I heard, Ferrari said he won’t RS and he is going heavy weight. Could he be laying low because he is trying to surprise everyone with a bulk job right now? Has anybody heard any news about Him lately? All I see are videos of him lifting.

Nothing concrete but in his pictures he posts, he looks awful lean to be bulking up to HWY. I think he goes right away but at 197.

Lots of legitimate scuttle on Geer and Taco both dropping.

Ferrari typically answers people on social media with "197 or 285" when asked. He weighed in at 212 in July, the first official weigh in I've seen for him in a long time. FWIW, he added "197" to his instagram header a couple of months ago, but then removed it recently. So who knows.

There are a lot of athletic heavies in college right now - Gable, Parris, Kerkvliet, Cassioppi, Elam - and more on the way - Catka, Hamilton, Horne, Feldman, Lautt, Deery, Mullen. I think part of the decision will be how he's doing in the room against Derek White. Personally, I'd like to see him go 197 and let Doucet, Marsh, Haas & Andrews battle for 285.

I was told that Taco was moving to 74 and Geer was trying to get to 84. This info is a couple of months old but I have seen Taco putting in the miles around campus with a backpack on.

That’s the plan.

With the Purdue kid falling through I'm kind of surprised we haven't brought in a stopgap solution.

With the Purdue kid falling through I'm kind of surprised we haven't brought in a stopgap solution.

I think there is still a chance he will he enrolled at OSU spring semester. He is and has been in Stillwater training and working with team but attending the community college.

Teague Travis is listed on Stillwater's roster, so that explains his Super32 registration. That's a pretty salty lineup with Cael Hughes, Young, Travis & the Ferraris. They might be one of the top teams in the country.

No idea if we were recruiting him but Troy Spratley from Collinsville committed to Minnesota.

Teague Travis is listed on Stillwater's roster, so that explains his Super32 registration. That's a pretty salty lineup with Cael Hughes, Young, Travis & the Ferraris. They might be one of the top teams in the country.
Teague Travis is entered at 138 but I don't believe he will be seeded. He wrestled really well at junior freestyle after his sophomore year but not so good his junior year and is not ranked. Potential Cowboys at super 32's are Anthony Ferrari at 152 and will likely be seeded 1st. at 145 there are freshmen Angelo Ferrari and Kael Voinovich who are not tanked in the top 20 at 145 but are listed as unranked wrestlers you really want to watch as freshmen. I don't see Hughes as wrestling.

Here's the link to the super32 entries. Angelo Ferrari was initially registered at 145, but he switched to 138 about a week ago. We'll have to see where he ends up going.

Here's the link to the super32 entries. Angelo Ferrari was initially registered at 145, but he switched to 138 about a week ago. We'll have to see where he ends up going.

I have seen Anthony and Angelo win by decision in the prelims. They wrestled okay. Travis won by major with quite a few tilts. Kael Voinovich has won by 2 decisions. Very solid for a freshman.

I have seen Anthony and Angelo win by decision in the prelims. They wrestled okay. Travis won by major with quite a few tilts. Kael Voinovich has won by 2 decisions. Very solid for a freshman.
Both Ferrari brothers won in the 2nd round, Anthony with a major but has to deal with a cut on his head. Travis won by decision but won easily. Round of 32 with each of these wrestlers still in the championship bracket.

Both Ferrari brothers won in the 2nd round, Anthony with a major but has to deal with a cut on his head. Travis won by decision but won easily. Round of 32 with each of these wrestlers still in the championship bracket.
Both Ferrari brothers won easy decisions. Anthony despite a cut on his head got penalized a point for leading with his head. Travis won on a last second takedown. Voinovich lost 5 to 1 to another freshman with 4 penalty points for stalling ( pushed out of bounds). I did not like the job the ref did in this match.

Both Ferrari brothers won easy decisions. Anthony despite a cut on his head got penalized a point for leading with his head. Travis won on a last second takedown. Voinovich lost 5 to 1 to another freshman with 4 penalty points for stalling ( pushed out of bounds). I did not like the job the ref did in this match.
Anthony Ferrari is in the quarterfinals at 152. Voinovich is out of the tournament losing 2 to 0 to Brown of Ohio. Next round of consolations Travis wrestles Angelo Ferrari.

Anthony Ferrari is in the quarterfinals at 152. Voinovich is out of the tournament losing 2 to 0 to Brown of Ohio. Next round of consolations Travis wrestles Angelo Ferrari.
Anthony Ferrari is in the 152 finals after beating Paniro Johnson who is rated 18th at 152 7 to 4. Angelo Ferrari forfeited to Travis in the consolation round and then Travis lost in his next match. Ferrari wrestles Caleb Henson from Georgia who is rated 14th at 145.

Anthony Ferrari is in the 152 finals after beating Paniro Johnson who is rated 18th at 152 7 to 4. Angelo Ferrari forfeited to Travis in the consolation round and then Travis lost in his next match. Ferrari wrestles Caleb Henson from Georgia who is rated 14th at 145.
Ferrari lost in ride out overtime to Henson. After the 1 minute neutral overtime whoever scored first gets to choose up or down and if the down person scores he wins and if the top person rides out he wins. Obviously Ferrari couldn't ride Henson and lost. Ferrari never came close to getting on his opponents legs.

Of note, Kael Voinovich did not give up a takedown in 6 matches at S32. The kid that beat him in the championship bracket did not shoot once. Just Ryan Anderson'ed him out of bounds 3 times to collect stalling points. Then after winning a few consi matches, lost to the #4 Jr in Ohio 2-0 on a reversal. Kael, like his brother, is nearly impossible to takedown.

Reactions: OHkie and osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT