ADVERTISEMENT

New OSU wrestling podcast from a good Cowboy

The school wouldn't accept Wick at Penn State. Supposedly a real source of contention between Cael and the administration. Also they won't let athletes take NIL deals at PSU.
I wonder why they wouldn’t accept Wick? I did my graduate studies there and my OSU transcript was less than stellar.

I have no idea... just what I was told by a PSU guy.

Hey, btw, there's a twitter troll out there throwing FUD about me. I haven't made a single dollar off of this podcast. Plan is to eventually start monetizing it, but I am committed to being fully transparent about what comes in, and anything that comes in is going directly to the Cowboy Wrestling Club to help continue to get more kids around Stillwater into the sport and to send them to tournaments.

With ~300 listeners, I'd make about about $30 a month on the podcast... so... big money.

I have no idea... just what I was told by a PSU guy.

Hey, btw, there's a twitter troll out there throwing FUD about me. I haven't made a single dollar off of this podcast. Plan is to eventually start monetizing it, but I am committed to being fully transparent about what comes in, and anything that comes in is going directly to the Cowboy Wrestling Club to help continue to get more kids around Stillwater into the sport and to send them to tournaments.

With ~300 listeners, I'd make about about $30 a month on the podcast... so... big money.
There are trolls on here too Lee. They get their jollies off of getting under your skin. Just ignore them, it’s easy to see who they are. 🤣

Reactions: JAY45
Great Episode!
Gfeller NIL Deal, let’s get it done!
What concerns me about this is we have 2 freshman who redshirted Victor Voinovich and Travis Mastro at 149 with G and they have not caught G apparently. I was hoping that 1 of these guys had developed enough to handle G. If I remember right the wrestle offs between G and Victor were around 8 to 4 G in the beginning of the year. G is rated by Flo 14th now at 149. Also I saw an interview with RBY and some MMA program guys. It sure sounds like RBY is coming back but he seems to hate the grind. He also indicated that he wrestles some with Gilman close to every day ( advantage of a strong RTC).

G is very talented and had the ability to be at least a high AA….multiple times. He screwed around and blew it for at least awhile. Now that he seemed to be putting in some effort it is not surprising that a true freshman couldn’t catch him. G can go with most anybody but he still had lapses of cool breezing it/getting out of position. But don’t think he doesn’t have a ton of talent.

Reactions: turfpoke
Credit to G for turning things around. 149 was a tough weight this year and it will be again next season. At this point though, I wouldn't mind getting a young guy in there, even Jordan Williams possibly.

If John did bottom out after Nationals and he's now serious about making changes, he can sign G as an RTC coach/athlete. Besides not hearing no, maybe John will stop saying no. G can train with the college guys and if he still has the itch, he can compete at 65 kg / 70 kg.

Lol, he ain’t that good to spend RTC $ on. Like Joe Smith, talented/skilled but chose not to tap his potential. But if he trained hard, stayed focused and was the best guy….I’d like to see him wrestle next year. But RTC…no. Need name guys who are exceptional.

Lol, he ain’t that good to spend RTC $ on. Like Joe Smith, talented/skilled but chose not to tap his potential. But if he trained hard, stayed focused and was the best guy….I’d like to see him wrestle next year. But RTC…no. Need name guys who are exceptional.
Sure we need name guys, but are we close to getting any? G would be a starting point. There are several guys the same caliber at RTCs across the country. They're basically assistant coaches. Right now we have zero post grad athletes. Alex left nearly 2 years ago and he still hasn't been replaced as the volunteer coach/RTC athlete.

I mean I guess you don’t turn down anything but if he’s not wrestling on the team he needs a job to support his family and we shouldn’t pay him anything, much less the necessary salary. There’s no upside. We have guys as good on the team and he has no draw due to his name or achievements. Every dollar spent on a guy like that is a dollar we don’t have for a true RTC guy. But this is a moot point. His only post college wrestling would be as a coach/teacher if he chose that route. Hopefully Joe Smith is not on the payroll and is in the room for free.

Sure we need name guys, but are we close to getting any? G would be a starting point. There are several guys the same caliber at RTCs across the country. They're basically assistant coaches. Right now we have zero post grad athletes. Alex left nearly 2 years ago and he still hasn't been replaced as the volunteer coach/RTC athlete.
What about Geer as a volunteer?

Reactions: Wrassler17
I feel like we used to consistently have post-grads around. Is that no longer the case?

Talent/success aside, there's probably a valuable perspective that comes from not being in the grind anymore.

I mean I guess you don’t turn down anything but if he’s not wrestling on the team he needs a job to support his family and we shouldn’t pay him anything, much less the necessary salary. There’s no upside. We have guys as good on the team and he has no draw due to his name or achievements. Every dollar spent on a guy like that is a dollar we don’t have for a true RTC guy. But this is a moot point. His only post college wrestling would be as a coach/teacher if he chose that route. Hopefully Joe Smith is not on the payroll and is in the room for free.

you're missing the point on the benefits of the RTC. For one thing, John has stated that he doesn't want free agents. G fits the bill as a pretty talented kid who you could pay to chase any FS dreams he may have - but he's still in a room where he's the best 149 at okiest.

You guys have PLENTY enough money that he wouldn't be taking away anything from someone.

Enjoyed it. I don't always comment but definitely want to take a minute to say thanks for doing these, keeping us informed, and staying positive. I agree in wanting to see OSU do more to respond to accusations and rumors. Like it or not, online culture is deep and failing to address rumors like "OSU is toxic" is seen more and more as an admission of guilt. Of course it'd be a challenge to regularly peruse every online discussion about wrestling, but it should be considered as part of the overall "level up" in OSU Wrestling's PR. That they should be doing. That they are doing. Please god. Lol.

Enjoyed it. I don't always comment but definitely want to take a minute to say thanks for doing these, keeping us informed, and staying positive. I agree in wanting to see OSU do more to respond to accusations and rumors. Like it or not, online culture is deep and failing to address rumors like "OSU is toxic" is seen more and more as an admission of guilt. Of course it'd be a challenge to regularly peruse every online discussion about wrestling, but it should be considered as part of the overall "level up" in OSU Wrestling's PR. That they should be doing. That they are doing. Please god. Lol.
Yes The Mat doesn't have many Oklahoma State threads but the ones in the last month are negative. We no longer are even a top 5 program, and won't win another Team title, we have our wrestlers cut too much weight, wrestlers don't progress and we have the negative Ferrari threads. As bad as last year went and not winning in 16 years allows everyone to jump on us. We have recruited well but we don't seem to be able to maintain health or seen many wrestlers develop. With great recruits, every spring or summer I think all these great recruits will be in the freestyle tournaments but that is not the case because so many are having shoulder surgery's etc. You think some luck would come our way but very little good luck comes our way or those people on the Mat are right and we are doing things wrong.

@leecothran when is the big RTC announcement happening? Any more info?
I was told the website would be released by the end of April but here we are... Basically they're going to make it possible to contribute to the RTC in many different ways. They're going to host more events in conjunction with duals. They're going to make big investments in getting athletes the resources they need to be successful. Including coaching, funding, and partners. "We're never going to lose an athlete because of money again."

I thought an announcement was going to happen by now, but looks like it got delayed. I deserve that rating hit on the podcast.

I was told the website would be released by the end of April but here we are... Basically they're going to make it possible to contribute to the RTC in many different ways. They're going to host more events in conjunction with duals. They're going to make big investments in getting athletes the resources they need to be successful. Including coaching, funding, and partners. "We're never going to lose an athlete because of money again."

I thought an announcement was going to happen by now, but looks like it got delayed. I deserve that rating hit on the podcast.
Good stuff, anxiously awaiting the official announcement.

Didn't understand the comment about a rating hit on the podcast though.

He’s asking for a 5⭐️ Review, I believe. On Spotify you hit the top right corner and it lets you rate it.

Oh somebody on here joked that they're going to knock me down to 4 stars if the website wasn't up by the end of the month.

• Haha
Reactions: PoOsKuE
Yep he will be on the podcast in two weeks to discuss. Knew about this last week but he asked that I keep it on the DL. Proud of him.

Josh Kindig on the pod this week!

Reactions: PoOsKuE and DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT