ADVERTISEMENT

New NCAA ruling affects on wrestling

AtownPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2006
Altus
Pretty interesting tidbits. The $22 million / year that is now basically just legitimized NIL, that’ll be tax deductible for donors and paid through the school. Considering that it’s capped it’ll be interesting to see how the well funded schools handle this. Which boosters do they choose to participate with. Do the football boosters get first dibs and a guy like Richison might be left paying through NIL (if he still chooses) without the tax benefits. I get that many schools might not have to deal with clearing $22 mill but the bigs will imo.

Also, ncaa doing away with scholarship limits and imposing roster limits will be very interesting. If we want to go all in on baseball and wrestling we could give full scholarships to the entire teams if we had had the funding. It’ll be very very interesting to see much how the ADs handle things and just how football-centric most schools will be

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Pretty interesting tidbits. The $22 million / year that is now basically just legitimized NIL, that’ll be tax deductible for donors and paid through the school. Considering that it’s capped it’ll be interesting to see how the well funded schools handle this. Which boosters do they choose to participate with. Do the football boosters get first dibs and a guy like Richison might be left paying through NIL (if he still chooses) without the tax benefits. I get that many schools might not have to deal with clearing $22 mill but the bigs will imo.

Also, ncaa doing away with scholarship limits and imposing roster limits will be very interesting. If we want to go all in on baseball and wrestling we could give full scholarships to the entire teams if we had had the funding. It’ll be very very interesting to see much how the ADs handle things and just how football-centric most schools will be
So is it NIL from boosters through the school or is it a portion of revenue from media contracts that the schools pay?

So is it NIL from boosters through the school or is it a portion of revenue from media contracts that the schools pay?
Id assume it’s up to each school and what they want to do with it, but the money can absolutely come from boosters and there are tax incentives going through the university.

• Haha
I imagine a Title IX lawsuit in our near future. Seems that there may be an inequality that will develop on the women's side. I can see rosters being okay but men getting 75% of the money.

Otherwise, if schollies are the same, it's because FB and BB get all the men's scholarships to equal out the womens scholarships, and mens sports like wrestling will survive entirely off NIL with no scholarships..

Last edited:
Reactions: AtownPoke
From what I've read and heard, the 22% payments come from income derived from media. Donations and NIL are a separate part of the puzzle but restrictions will make NIL more like NIL and take the current pay for play out of the equation. Good luck with monitoring that.

If athletes are being paid then why would said athletes not have to pay for their own tuition (and taxes) why would there continue to be scholarships? If scholarships continue then why would there be these silly limits (9.9)? If Title IX is an issue then it should be for the entire package: athlete pay, NIL & scholarships. This just opens up a whole new can of worms and additional lawsuits.

If Title IX is an issue then it should be for the entire package: athlete pay, NIL & scholarships. This just opens up a whole new can of worms and additional lawsuits.
Ding, Ding, Ding!

Leave it to the NCAA to attempt a half-hearted solution only to make it ten times worse. I swear the NCAA is full of administrators who were the people laying dead drunk in a pool of beer on the dance floor after the frat party.

From what I've read and heard, the 22% payments come from income derived from media. Donations and NIL are a separate part of the puzzle but restrictions will make NIL more like NIL and take the current pay for play out of the equation. Good luck with monitoring that.
This is what is happening. NIL is a separate fund. Theoretically, everyone will have $20-22M to spend. Then NIL will be a pot sweetener. That's where the massive difference will start happening. At least until/if congress steps in.

This is what is happening. NIL is a separate fund. Theoretically, everyone will have $20-22M to spend. Then NIL will be a pot sweetener. That's where the massive difference will start happening. At least until/if congress steps in.
The thing is that no one intends to pay the $20 out of their media money or budgets. They’re just going to start funneling their existing pool of NIL money through in an official capacity. That’s fine until someone decides not to give because they’re not getting the tax incentive and another booster did.

• Haha
The thing is that no one intends to pay the $20 out of their media money or budgets. They’re just going to start funneling their existing pool of NIL money through in an official capacity. That’s fine until someone decides not to give because they’re not getting the tax incentive and another booster did.
Don't think thats correct. Here's an article that says what will happen:

A Well Done Synopsis of What House vs. NCAA Settlement Means​

By Robert Allen
May 25, 2024

STILLWATER – We all know that the NCAA Board of Governors and the Power Five Conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and Southeastern Conference) all voted to settle the case of House vs. NCAA. This settlement should also go toward a resolution in two other class-action cases that are in the same court. The basic is that the NCAA and Conferences (their members) will pay $2.8 billion in damages to the plaintiffs. The defendents will also 22 percent of the average Power Five revenues to current student-athletes. That figure is estimated in most stories and reporting to $20 million annually, but obviously can go up and go down.
Also, scholarship caps will be removed allowing athletic departments to spend more there as well. You can expect to see most all sports become full scholarship sports. Sports like baseball and wrestling at Oklahoma State that have been fractional scholarship sports will change.
A story from business information and journalistic leader, Forbes Magazine, has outlined well much of what will happen in the future as a result of this settlement. You can read the entire story here.
0037351-isjk-240x135.jpg

Hagens Berman Law Firm
Attorney Steve Berman
Steve Berman, a managing partner and co-founder at the firm Hagens Berman represented the plaintiffs in the suit and he told Forbes, “Our clients are the bedrock of the multibillion-dollar business and finally can be compensated in an equitable and just manner for their extraordinary athletic talents.”
I would agree with Mr. Berman on that better if his clients were all Power Five college football players and the name plaintiffs in the suit weren’t former Arizona State swimmer Grant House or women’s basketball player Sedona Prince. We’ll get to the best part of this settlement and that is how the new revenue sharing with student-athletes will be determined.
Damages
The plaintiffs, member of the class-action suit of which there are estimated to be 14,500 of them, all athletes in Division I from June 15, 2016 through the date the class was established, Nov. 3, 2023. That money, $2.8 billion will be split among them minus 25-35 percent going to the attorneys.
Berman told Forbes Magazine that the moeny will be split pursuant to a formula created by a sports economist, some money split equally among all, some split based on the former athlete’s market value.
How will the defendants pay the money?
There are a lot of theories floating around here. The most common have the NCAA paying approximately $1.1 billion with reserves. Then another $1.65 billion will be paid by the Power Five and the other Division I conferences paying $990 million.
Much of that will be money simply witheld by the NCAA of revenue that would have been shared from March Madness and other NCAA championship events.
How much money will current and future athletes receive?
The settlement dictates that going forward student-athletes will be paid a total annually of up to $21-22 million as revenue sharing. That number will increase over the 10-year settlement based pn 22 percent of the average Power Five school’s annual revenues.
The payment to the athletes will be up to the school, but it won’t be uniform or across the board equal. More than likely the money will be paid based on a formula to determine each athlete’s value to the department.
Where will that money come from?
This is the big question for each school. Does it come from facility upgrades being decreased, salaries decreased or athletic department employees laid off, do schools cut sports? More than likey exppect a combination of all these as athletic departments tighten their belt to add this expense, roughly a fifth of their annual revenues to their expenditures.
Will NIL collectives go away with this settlement?
In administrators’ ideal world, the House settlement will bring an end to the “wild, wild West” era that sprouted up when the NCAA was forced in 2021 to allow NIL but instituted few if any regulations around it. Fat chance.
The settlement will allow, say, Ohio State, to share up to $20 million with its athletes. Which seems like a lot. But schools won’t be able to give all $20 million of it to the football team, lest they themselves want to be sued by their women’s sports athletes.

From The Athletic website and the story: Paying college athletes will usher in a new era of uncertainty. But here’s what won’t happen, by Stewart Mandel
The understanding is that NIL collectives are about Name-Image-and-Likeness even those any intelligent person connected with college athletics knows it is 90 percent or more pay-for-play. The schools that cheat such as Miami, Fla; Tennessee; etc. will continue to cheat and keeping the collectives running allows them to do so. Collectives will stay for those that want to find a way to pay their football and maybe basketball players some more.
Does Title iX apply in the payouts?
I don’t see how it can or would. First, this is not an educational issue. It is a legal issue out of a legal action. We already stated that if you pay all the athletes the same then you risk antitrust issues all over again.

“How much money will current and future athletes receive?
The settlement dictates that going forward student-athletes will be paid a total annually of up to $21-22 million as revenue sharing. That number will increase over the 10-year settlement based pn 22 percent of the average Power Five school’s annual revenues.
The payment to the athletes will be up to the school, but it won’t be uniform or across the board equal. More than likely the money will be paid based on a formula to determine each athlete’s value to the department.
This is the big question for each school. Does it come from facility upgrades being decreased, salaries decreased or athletic department employees laid off, do schools cut sports? More than likey exppect a combination of all these as athletic departments tighten their belt to add this expense, roughly a fifth of their annual revenues to their expenditures.”

I’ve read quite a bit about it too and as you see above, it’s completely up to the school to find that money.

It’s a shell game. If you take it out of the budget for facilities then those facilities will still be pushed by donors. If you take it from salaries then the extra salary will need to come from boosters. If you want to keep up then you will have to continue to follow the market.

So as I said, with the added tax incentives this thing will be driven primarily by the boosters. No one has the money to pull $22 mill out of their current budget and it not kill competitiveness or programs as a whole. Boosters will continue to carry the water or you’ll be left behind.

• Haha
This is the big question for each school. Does it come from facility upgrades being decreased, salaries decreased or athletic department employees laid off, do schools cut sports? More than likey exppect a combination of all these as athletic departments tighten their belt to add this expense, roughly a fifth of their annual revenues to their expenditures.”

I’ve read quite a bit about it too and as you see above, it’s completely up to the school to find that money.

It’s a shell game. If you take it out of the budget for facilities then those facilities will still be pushed by donors. If you take it from salaries then the extra salary will need to come from boosters. If you want to keep up then you will have to continue to follow the market.

So as I said, with the added tax incentives this thing will be driven primarily by the boosters. No one has the money to pull $22 mill out of their current budget and it not kill competitiveness or programs as a whole. Boosters will continue to carry the water or you’ll be left behind.

This is some doomsday sh*t that needs to be meted out quickly by the public. It's the exact same monies - but it will now go through the school. The collectives will take a "hit" - but now it goes through the athletic department.

Which, they were pissed about when NIL first started. The NCAA and the schools really won with this settlement - they'll be able to force almost all NIL to land at the school first.

So "paying" the players is going to come out of that budge - but if we let administrators say that the funds are somehow less, then expect programs to start getting dropped. Andrew Spey did a great breakdown of this on FRL monday.

Reactions: AtownPoke
This is some doomsday sh*t that needs to be meted out quickly by the public. It's the exact same monies - but it will now go through the school. The collectives will take a "hit" - but now it goes through the athletic department.

Which, they were pissed about when NIL first started. The NCAA and the schools really won with this settlement - they'll be able to force almost all NIL to land at the school first.

So "paying" the players is going to come out of that budge - but if we let administrators say that the funds are somehow less, then expect programs to start getting dropped. Andrew Spey did a great breakdown of this on FRL monday.
Where does equality with women’s sports come in, if any? I can’t imagine a world where women take less than 50% of the pie without a lawsuit, and with football the heavy on the men’s side, wrestling loses out. Is that how you see it?

Where does equality with women’s sports come in, if any? I can’t imagine a world where women take less than 50% of the pie without a lawsuit, and with football the heavy on the men’s side, wrestling loses out. Is that how you see it?
It’s an optional opt in or out deal on revenue sharing. Each kid decides and If the kid opts in they can’t bring future suits

• Haha

The way I read the bolded parts is that it's possible the schools (to meet the $20-$22M) will/could:

1. Lay off employees

2. Cut sports

3. Take moneys designated for facilities (some of which is already received from donors. However, if a donor has specified that their donation has to go to that facility project, legally is has to go to that project). If the athletic dept. (AD) has money that was produced by the AD, (tickets, donor seating, etc) it could be moved to that $20M pot.

4. And I guess it'll be a combo of all 3 for most schools.

In some ways we're saying somewhat similar things. But I'm not sure. i'm still not sure you are correct in your interpretation.

But it will shake out over the next few months/years. After many courts fights. Unless congress steps in and helps, which always scared me to death.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT