ADVERTISEMENT

New Lineup Clue: Surber

Is Sheets reallllly the best option at 165? I mean... well, I only see two guys listed at 165 on the roster and one of them is Wittlake, lol. And we do know that Jordan Williams is too small to go 165.

At 157 you also have Luke Mechler who could compete for the starting spot. 2-2 at Reno TOC is no slouch for a true freshman, methinks.
Began his true freshman campaign 9-0 winning both the Viking Open and the Lindenwood Open at 157 pounds … Compiled a 16-2 overall record in open tournaments in his true freshman campaign … Also won the Norseman Open, going 5-0 at the event with three bonus-point wins … Posted six technical falls on the season to go along with two major decisions and a fall … Went 2-2 at the Reno Tournament of Champions.

Is Sheets reallllly the best option at 165? I mean... well, I only see two guys listed at 165 on the roster and one of them is Wittlake, lol. And we do know that Jordan Williams is too small to go 165.
Didn't you just answer your own question? ;)

Didn't you just answer your own question? ;)
I don't think so, not if Sheets is supposedly going 165 but is listed at 157. So ostensibly any 157'er could bump up to 165. And Wittlake is looking bigger these days. Its funny, I saw a photo on his IG of him next some wrestlers and I was like okay, there's Travis a normal looking guy. Then I saw a photo of him next to non-wrestlers and it was like woah! He's a BEAST! Wrestlers are something else, man

I don't think so, not if Sheets is supposedly going 165 but is listed at 157. So ostensibly any 157'er could bump up to 165. And Wittlake is looking bigger these days. Its funny, I saw a photo on his IG of him next some wrestlers and I was like okay, there's Travis a normal looking guy. Then I saw a photo of him next to non-wrestlers and it was like woah! He's a BEAST! Wrestlers are something else, man
Weights on the roster page are generally low or what they were previous years. Look at how long Sheets has been around, do you really think he can't fill out 164, also look at the dad.

Looks like Gfeller is definitely coming back for his final year. Made a announcement on his Instagram. Wondering what this does to the lineup. Voinovich out? G at 157? Haas and Wittlake duke it out at 184?

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Kinda quiet right now, so I'll take a shot at the lineup based on absolutely zero inside info. Sure to be wildly off.

First I think Daton going 125 makes sense for his Olympic goals. Cutting down from 133 to 57 KG 2-3 weeks after Nationals isn't ideal, so time to shrink down now. If Suriano can do it then Daton can too...

125 - Fix on a light schedule. Birdwell gets a handful of duals as the backup. Mastro redshirts and goes 133 next year.
133 - Witcraft starter. Backup Nicholas.
141 - Redshirting Young and starting Hone or Travis makes some sense, but I don't think it will happen. So Young is the starter with Hone/Travis as the backups.
149 - Voinovich starter. Backup Mastro.
157 - Mechler starter. Backup Gfeller.
165 - Sheets starter. Backup Harper.
174 - Plott starter. Backup Skidgel.
184 - Tough one with 2 unproven guys at the weight. I'll say Wittlake as the starter. Backup Stika.
197 - Surber starter. Haas moves up to be the backup.
285 - A transfer would have made sense here, either a starter like Seth Nevills or a solid backup behind Doucet. Based on the current roster, it looks like Doucet as the starter with Simpson as the backup.

Kinda quiet right now, so I'll take a shot at the lineup based on absolutely zero inside info. Sure to be wildly off.

First I think Daton going 125 makes sense for his Olympic goals. Cutting down from 133 to 57 KG 2-3 weeks after Nationals isn't ideal, so time to shrink down now. If Suriano can do it then Daton can too...

125 - Fix on a light schedule. Birdwell gets a handful of duals as the backup. Mastro redshirts and goes 133 next year.
141 - Redshirting Young and starting Hone or Travis makes some sense, but I don't think it will happen. So Young is the starter with Hone/Travis as the backups.
184 - Tough one with 2 unproven guys at the weight. I'll say Wittlake as the starter. Backup Stika.
285 - A transfer would have made sense here, either a starter like Seth Nevills or a solid backup behind Doucet. Based on the current roster, it looks like Doucet as the starter with Simpson as the backup.
Will have 2023 Worlds 61kg is a weight not sure he goes down now

Will have 2023 Worlds 61kg is a weight not sure he goes down now
That's true and certainly possible. Maybe even likely. My guess is based on Daton medaling in 2023 and getting the bye to the 57 KG Final X final for the 2024 Olympic Trials. That Challenge Tournament bracket could have Gilman, Lee, Vito, Suriano. Maybe even RBY. The bye is huge. And I'm also not crazy about Daton cutting from 133 to 57 KG in a 2-3 week window after Nationals in 2024. Even if he did earn a bye to the Challenge Tournament semis.

But there are a lot of unknowns. Daton might not even come back in 2024. If that's the case he could go 133/61 KG in 2023, potentially medal, get the bye to the Challenge Tournament semis at 57 KG, then shrink down during his year off.

Reactions: osu2082

Like your plan a lot. You don’t think Gfeller can beat out Mechler?

Reactions: gyppoke and driad
I think it’s possible they redshirt Surber and start Haas at 197 if Wittlake is the man at 184.

That's true and certainly possible. Maybe even likely. My guess is based on Daton medaling in 2023 and getting the bye to the 57 KG Final X final for the 2024 Olympic Trials. That Challenge Tournament bracket could have Gilman, Lee, Vito, Suriano. Maybe even RBY. The bye is huge. And I'm also not crazy about Daton cutting from 133 to 57 KG in a 2-3 week window after Nationals in 2024. Even if he did earn a bye to the Challenge Tournament semis.

But there are a lot of unknowns. Daton might not even come back in 2024. If that's the case he could go 133/61 KG in 2023, potentially medal, get the bye to the Challenge Tournament semis at 57 KG, then shrink down during his year off.
Could use a Olympic RS in 2024 as well

My opinion is 125-Mastrogiavanni , 133 Fix, 141 Carter, 149 Voinovich, 157 G, 165 Sheets, 174 Plott, 184 Wittlake, 197 Surber, HWT Doucette. If we got G for 149 I would really question our coaches decisions because Voinovich appears to be our future at 149 ( if he jumps a level this year which is common for redshirt freshmen). Our 157 for the future is likely Jordan Williams and a redshirt makes sense. So if G wrestles 157 that isn't a bad move by us. 184 I would like Hass to win the position but from watching Hass this summer I can't see him beating a real 184 Wittlake unless his knee remains a problem. Also Surber is quick, smooth and can shoot takedowns and so I don't see Haas at 197. We need our young guys to jump levels and All American if we are to have a chance for a team title next year. That would include Mastro, Young, Voinovich, Surber. Voinovich would be least likely. We need Plott to be a high All American. I don't see Doucette in the All American picture. It would be great to see Wittlake rebound and place high but after last year who knows. I don't see our seniors being All Americans( G and Sheets). Also it would be very tough to see Daton take second again so I really hope he wins. I hate watching him unable to score against RBY. I am still looking for our Leadership to make a real positive statement after this last year of disasters. Also someone indicated we will get top recruits and so Angelo Ferrari isn't a great loss. Ferrari as a junior might be the best wrestler in the country in high school.

I know we spend a lot of time talking about recruting senior level talent to the RTC for better practice partners etc. But new in the room this year we will have Chandler Rogers and Gary Wyane Harding. I know these guys aren't super stars, but Im confident they can help some indidivuals improve. What are everyone's thoughts on these guys and how they can help in any areas for the team overall?

I know we spend a lot of time talking about recruting senior level talent to the RTC for better practice partners etc. But new in the room this year we will have Chandler Rogers and Gary Wyane Harding. I know these guys aren't super stars, but Im confident they can help some indidivuals improve. What are everyone's thoughts on these guys and how they can help in any areas for the team overall?

Both are high quality individuals who will preach doing the “right” things off the mat as well which will help.

While you would love to see and hope we get some national level guys, these two will certainly add some more talent and different looks to our room!

While it’s a fairly limited sample size GWH’s track record of helping develop talent is really good so far.

As for Chandler, I honestly don’t know how good he is, but both Erisman and Smith willing to bring him on board says something. Also, he is one of those who sees moves and opportunities that others don’t, so having a true creative type in the room is a probably pretty good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
While it’s a fairly limited sample size GWH’s track record of helping develop talent is really good so far.

As for Chandler, I honestly don’t know how good he is, but both Erisman and Smith willing to bring him on board says something. Also, he is one of those who sees moves and opportunities that others don’t, so having a true creative type in the room is a probably pretty good thing.
That assassin can't hurt either. Good point about the creativity. IMO any fresh coach in the room will be a benefit for our squad. I've been visiting some other wrestling forums and there are comments like "this new far ankle defense is stopping all high crotch takedowns". Take that for what it's worth but more eyes on modern collegiate wrestling has to be good for our squad. We need to be on the forefront of these changes if we want success, not the guys getting flattened with new moves.

Reactions: osu2082
That assassin can't hurt either. Good point about the creativity. IMO any fresh coach in the room will be a benefit for our squad. I've been visiting some other wrestling forums and there are comments like "this new far ankle defense is stopping all high crotch takedowns". Take that for what it's worth but more eyes on modern collegiate wrestling has to be good for our squad. We need to be on the forefront of these changes if we want success, not the guys getting flattened with new moves.
What?

"New" far ankle defense? Come on man.

And OkieSt has never been behind in technique - nor will they ever be. John and staff stay ahead of technique better than any program in the country except for maybe Penn St.

What?

"New" far ankle defense? Come on man.

And OkieSt has never been behind in technique - nor will they ever be. John and staff stay ahead of technique better than any program in the country except for maybe Penn St.
I think you misunderstood my post - I was paraphrasing something somebody else wrote 👍

Question was: "what do you think of the new coaches"
Answer was: "Generally I'm excited to have more eyes in the room and looking out for developments in college wrestling"

Reactions: vhsalum
GWH was in the corner for both Clarke & O'Connor at NCAAs. Hopefully that says something about his coaching ability. And Rogers was a big move guy, so maybe that will help certain guys to be more aggressive.

Technique has been an OSU strength for a long time. I remember John saying he learned the importance of it from Chesbro. And of course John has been regarded as one of the best technicians in the world for the past 30+ years.

One thing I wonder about though is how things may have changed over the past 10+ years. RTCs have given youth wrestlers access to college coaching. The number of club coaches has increased. You can literally watch the best wrestlers in the world on youtube & Flowrestling now. Makes you wonder if teaching technique at the collegiate level has the same importance it once did. Rob Koll said recently that a really good HS coach knows as much about technique as a college coach. Thoughts?

Reactions: DPJ
GWH was in the corner for both Clarke & O'Connor at NCAAs. Hopefully that says something about his coaching ability. And Rogers was a big move guy, so maybe that will help certain guys to be more aggressive.

Technique has been an OSU strength for a long time. I remember John saying he learned the importance of it from Chesbro. And of course John has been regarded as one of the best technicians in the world for the past 30+ years.

One thing I wonder about though is how things may have changed over the past 10+ years. RTCs have given youth wrestlers access to college coaching. The number of club coaches has increased. You can literally watch the best wrestlers in the world on youtube & Flowrestling now. Makes you wonder if teaching technique at the collegiate level has the same importance it once did. Rob Koll said recently that a really good HS coach knows as much about technique as a college coach. Thoughts?
Since I never wrestled my thoughts are really not valid but from a fan's viewpoint, technique is still very important but it has to be individualized depending on the wrestler. For a Daton Fix, Technique and repetition is all important and he has technique down to a T. A more free-wheeling wrestler like say, Gfeller, Chandler Rogers and many others, they have an innate ability to go with the flow and improvise. They still need basic technique but they need more freedom to move more in the moment and not by rote. Steve Barrett would be more in this style of wrestling. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is probably no better a technician than John but any coach needs to realize that all wrestlers are not cut out of the same mold and wrestlers sometimes need to go with what works for them individually. Apologize if this does not make sense to the coaches and more wrestling afficianados-just my opinion.

Reactions: DPJ and Wrassler17
huh? Current coaches don't have access to film & internet? ;_;
Again. Point is that I think more eyes in the room will benefit our program, spend more time on film, etc. Feel free to disagree but I don't think we're pioneering techniques anymore in the way that we were when we were on top. Not that we're bad at it of course but Cael and others have elevated the game by bringing in moves from other combat sports and inventing moves during play wrestling. Chandler was probably the last guy on our squad I remember seeing and regularly going "wow, I've never seen that move before". Surber also did some funky cool moves last year so hopefully that continues with him at 197. I want to see us get to that level where we're hitting things that nobody is expecting. That's a big part of winning titles and I think/hope having Chandler and GWH will help with that.

One PSU wrestler who's very innovative is Jason Nolf. That's one reason why I'd love for the CWC to sign him now that Dake is at the NLWC.

Everyone has probably seen Nolf's winn dixie move. This move by John in 1990 reminds me of it. Watch this technique starting around the 5:06 mark. First John blocks the Russian's leg and roles to counter the crotch lift. Then when John steps over, he traps the near arm and head for the exposure.

Another cool thing about this video is in the beginning when John talks about motivation. He says "no one can explain this to me, because no one has been where I've been". The GOAT.

Last edited:
Today was media day (no video yet). Surber & Wittlake discussed their weight changes, but there was no mention of Daton going 125 this season. John is obviously blowing up my carefully constructed plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT