ADVERTISEMENT

New lawn - grass suggestions

Pokes28

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2001
Without going too deep into it, my builder didn't listen to me on when to bury the septic tank for our new house build and as a result we were stuck with all the rain here in SW Missouri. We didn't get top soil in until early June. While we are 18" over our annual rain fall, we haven't had more than a short heat based sprinkle since late May. We are not on flat land so we are worried about when we do get rain that we'll lose the top soil. I put down a mixture of fescue and Rye and have been watering the hell out of it every night. Starting to get some starts from the Rye. This is just an annual rye so it won't come back next year. Which means I really need to get a good plan for getting grass around our house. I'm at approximately 14,000 sq ft that I need to grow. I am in a financial situation that I can pay sod prices.

I'm curious if anybody out there has some suggestions. I'm generally not a fan of fescue. I love zoysia even though it is brown half the year, I love the density of it. I like to walk barefoot in the yard if possible, so a nice dense, soft carpet of grass. I do not have a sprinkler system, though I've make-shifted one off of my two outdoor spigots. Not ideal, but required under the current conditions.

I would say Zoysia. Decently tolerant, aggressively spreading if spots get bare, naturally lower growing than other grasses. Had it in my yard in Tulsa and REALLY liked it. Wish I had it here in Stillwater, but I don't have much shade so I imagine it would burn up a little.

I love me some Zoysia. Problem is that it is VERY slow growing. I planted 100 plugs in my current back yard about 15 years ago and it finally covers about 75% of the back yard. I may plant a couple hundred plugs this September and then follow it up in March with some more. If I do that, I'll go ahead and lay down fescue seed and just let the zoysia choke it out as it spreads.
I would say Zoysia. Decently tolerant, aggressively spreading if spots get bare, naturally lower growing than other grasses. Had it in my yard in Tulsa and REALLY liked it. Wish I had it here in Stillwater, but I don't have much shade so I imagine it would burn up a little.

Another fan of Zoysia, which I have in my yard. That said, in the battle of Zoysia vs Bermuda, my yard is slowly losing the battle. Not sure how to stop it as Bermuda seems to be invincible. If you go with Zoysia, make sure there isn't a more robust grass in the adjoining areas that could infiltrate and take its lunch money.

Another fan of Zoysia, which I have in my yard. That said, in the battle of Zoysia vs Bermuda, my yard is slowly losing the battle. Not sure how to stop it as Bermuda seems to be invincible. If you go with Zoysia, make sure there isn't a more robust grass in the adjoining areas that could infiltrate and take its lunch money.

I have property neighbors, but not yard neighbors if that makes sense. Closest house to ours is probably 50yards away and has a road and woods between us. Next two closest have a probably 100 yards of woods between us.

Reactions: Mario_C
After a lot of research and discussion with some lawn experts and a few calls to people that likely were wondering why a guy living in Joplin was calling them to talk about lawns and seed. I have settled in on a decision. I'm going to plant the Yukon variant of Bermuda grass. Developed by Oklahoma State, it survives the cold very well, it greens up early and stays green late, its very hardy, has few flaws. It can be grown taller, but spreads quickly if cut short.

I have the seed on order. I'm pretty happy that the seeds come with a coating on them. Keeping the birds from feasting as much as they have on the fescue/Rye that I have planted for erosion control. Fortnately, that seed has actually started to grow in the areas that it is most needed even if it really hasn't grown consistently anywhere else. As soon as the summer heat breaks is when this will get planted. That is usually around the first or second week of September. That should give the grass plenty of time to establish before winter hits so it will survive and be pretty strong next Spring. At least that is the hope.

After a lot of research and discussion with some lawn experts and a few calls to people that likely were wondering why a guy living in Joplin was calling them to talk about lawns and seed. I have settled in on a decision. I'm going to plant the Yukon variant of Bermuda grass. Developed by Oklahoma State, it survives the cold very well, it greens up early and stays green late, its very hardy, has few flaws. It can be grown taller, but spreads quickly if cut short.

I have the seed on order. I'm pretty happy that the seeds come with a coating on them. Keeping the birds from feasting as much as they have on the fescue/Rye that I have planted for erosion control. Fortnately, that seed has actually started to grow in the areas that it is most needed even if it really hasn't grown consistently anywhere else. As soon as the summer heat breaks is when this will get planted. That is usually around the first or second week of September. That should give the grass plenty of time to establish before winter hits so it will survive and be pretty strong next Spring. At least that is the hope.
Where did you get the seed ordered from?

Any updates @Pokes28..?
Yukon Bermuda is a great choice, i'm curious if you got the seed down yet and how its coming along..?

that Yukon seed is pretty expensive...I think I bought a 50 lb bag of the tall fescue for like $175....vs. over $600 for the Yukon. Fescue has done pretty well for me so I'm sticking with that for now....and I've got shade as well. Thanks for that info however...

Yeah it is expensive. I spent roughly $200 for a 25 pound bucket of Yukon. I plan on getting it installed over the next couple of weekends. I bought a SunJoe to help get the seed in under some dirt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT