ADVERTISEMENT

New construction: Metal building / home, like Morton, ect...

cowboyclint25

Starter
Jan 14, 2006
Within the next 6 months or so, my wife and I would like to build on our acreage in NE Oklahoma. We have thought heavily on having Morton or someone similar that does metal building do a insulated shell for us then we would contract out or do the rest ourselves. It would be a large, say in the 2000-3000 square footage home. And a shop / barn to match probably.

Other than insulating the crap out of it - comments? recommendations? pro's and con's?

We seem to find that it would be quicker and possibly a little cheaper.

Within the next 6 months or so, my wife and I would like to build on our acreage in NE Oklahoma. We have thought heavily on having Morton or someone similar that does metal building do a insulated shell for us then we would contract out or do the rest ourselves. It would be a large, say in the 2000-3000 square footage home. And a shop / barn to match probably.

Other than insulating the crap out of it - comments? recommendations? pro's and con's?

We seem to find that it would be quicker and possibly a little cheaper.
My Dad did a 40x80, 1/2 house and 1/2 shop/barn/garage on his land a few years back. Very efficient. He loves the decision he made to do it.

I don't plan to build again, but if I were to, I'd do what seabolt's dad did. There's a two-story house a couple of miles from us that is a nice non-boxy sheet metal exterior with a gorgeous interior.

No limit to what you can do. I'd use spray urethane for insulation -- excellent insulation and really seals the house.

I'd put maximum electrical outlets in the exterior walls since they may be harder to redo later.

How's your phone reception there? We have metal tiles on our roof and AT&T sucks in our area. Inside the house, reception is completely unreliable.

it's a great idea. Had some associates building these hangar homes 30 years ago over in the piedmont area just off NW Highway around a small lake/large pond. It was a great idea then and I'm sure even a better idea now with all the improvements that have come around. You won't regret it and your creativity will get nothing but challenged. I'd even consider going bigger than the 3,000 sf. You won't need any walls...! I don't know about the cost comparison between a brick and mortar home and these but I'g guessing it's favorable for the metal. I'm sure there is a builder or 2 around who has some good experience in building these and would probably be much cheaper than Morton. Morton is great but pricey.

How's your phone reception there? We have metal tiles on our roof and AT&T sucks in our area. Inside the house, reception is completely unreliable.

Get a M-Cell from AT&T. fixed my reception issues at the house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT