ADVERTISEMENT

New commit

Wonder what we had to offer him in NIL money to get him?

Reactions: csh
6 time National champ sounded good but he never won jucos and I think that generally junior college is fairly weak. Probably start for us because we really have no one at 165.
Must be good on his feet, appears to be a pinner, lost Juco final due to riding time point. Put him in a tough room and who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: thosick
Wonder what we had to offer him in NIL money to get him?
Probably nothing, just a chance to wrestle at the DI level would be my guess. It's possible they brought him in to help more on the RTC side with his FS success.

Reactions: grumpy_okie
Looks like he will have 2 years of eligibility left with maybe a RS. I would imagine he is primed on his feet but with him having limited folkstyle experience at the JUCO level I wouldn't get too excited as DI is a different level of mat wrestling. Obviously the coaches see something in him enough to offer him a spot so we will see.

Actually, this is a good example of how we keep falling further behind.

I am not sure what is out there to get, but a JUCO runner-up is about as impressive as 2x State Champ. Matter of fact, I know of several JUCO Champs that got to D1 or D2 and underperformed expectations.

IMO, the money was better spent on a R12 guy that gives a punchers chance at an AA.

I am not sure what is out there to get, but a JUCO runner-up is about as impressive as 2x State Champ. Matter of fact, I know of several JUCO Champs that got to D1 or D2 and underperformed expectations.

IMO, the money was better spent on a R12 guy that gives a punchers chance at an AA.
Exactly

Do you remember a guy named "Z"?

I doubt we have him much money. A chance to work in our room and be a part of our RTC is what likely got him here. We will work to get him some financial aid but I bet he is on very little scholarship or NIL money (if any).

Low risk/high reward type of add. Need and will hopefully bring in a few more transfers.

Who have we had that was more exciting to watch than Z? A slip against Tony Nelson away from having another team title.
I'd agree but didn't we take a chance on a kid unproven in folkstyle?

Also 3pt takedown advantage neutral game.

Reactions: turfpoke
He lost to ISU's backup 9-3 in his only D1 competition last year. More than likely he's being brought in for 165 depth with Mastro, McLane & Harper gone. If he develops into a capable starter, great, but you don't plan on it.

I don't see us getting Mesenbrink or Griffith, so the question is can we at least get Olejnik. And if we can't get someone of his caliber then that will speak volumes.

He lost to ISU's backup 9-3 in his only D1 competition last year. More than likely he's being brought in for 165 depth with Mastro, McLane & Harper gone. If he develops into a capable starter, great, but you don't plan on it.

I don't see us getting Mesenbrink or Griffith, so the question is can we at least get Olejnik. And if we can't get someone of his caliber then that will speak volumes.
Thought Mastro was in the portal. Who was his coach at Ellsworth? Haven't seen him wrestle but I'm thinking its more about technic, skill, work ethic, coaches see something and with better coaching etc. ...

Thought Mastro was in the portal. Who was his coach at Ellsworth? Haven't seen him wrestle but I'm thinking its more about technic, skill, work ethic, coaches see something and with better coaching etc. ...
Mastro & McLane are in the portal and someone posted that Harper graduated.

I'm ok bringing him in. Helps with 165 depth & freestyle/RTC. Plus he's an older guy who will probably bring some maturity to the team. Hopefully he surprises, but I don't think you go into the season planning for him to be the starter.

Reactions: osu2082 and osudog
Not sure what the plan is for him, but just letting everyone know that we have no depth at 165. Everyone at 165 is either graduated or in the portal. Who else on the roster currently is going to start at 165? Our only options right now are bumping either Manibog or Mechler up from 157.

Truth is Wittlake didn't want to make the cut anymore and let his weight get out of control and therefore left a huge hole in our roster. One of our issues that I've continue to hone in on is the lack of depth on our roster. We don't have many backups who can come into the lineup and can hold down the weight in the case of injury or wrestlers going rouge. But with the new portal that's going to be hard for all programs moving forward.

Given the other 165 commit, any speculation of Mirzo making 157? He looks lean already but sometimes juco guys don't have a reason to cut much weight.

National title contender down a weight. I like it!!!!
Like the idea of him dropping down, but he is not a title contender lol. I think Mechler has a good shot there.

Also of note, assuming Williams locks up 149, Manibog and Travis both wrestled 70kg this week. Could be trying to bulk up for the 157 spot.

Like the idea of him dropping down, but he is not a title contender lol. I think Mechler has a good shot there.

Also of note, assuming Williams locks up 149, Manibog and Travis both wrestled 70kg this week. Could be trying to bulk up for the 157 spot.
Mechler??
Travis is a good 149. hard cut to get to 141 but he did it last year.

Mechler??
Travis is a good 149. hard cut to get to 141 but he did it last year.
I would have said Mclane easily if 157 was still doable and then he left (I assume he wanted 165).

Mechler isn’t going to knock anyone’s socks off but this is his third year in the system so who knows. I don’t expect an AA year out of him so don’t confuse me for that.

If Travis can bulk to 157 I like his chances. Again, wouldn’t expect an AA season though. Sadly this weight is looking like a bust no matter who gets it. Maybe we can still find a transfer. They’re definitely out there.

Mirzo wrestled 70 KG internationally as recently as 2019. That was under UWW's same day weigh-in rules, so 157 seems like a possibility.

I would have said Mclane easily if 157 was still doable and then he left (I assume he wanted 165).

Mechler isn’t going to knock anyone’s socks off but this is his third year in the system so who knows. I don’t expect an AA year out of him so don’t confuse me for that.

If Travis can bulk to 157 I like his chances. Again, wouldn’t expect an AA season though. Sadly this weight is looking like a bust no matter who gets it. Maybe we can still find a transfer. They’re definitely out there.
Teague is a 149

Mirzo wrestled 70 KG internationally as recently as 2019. That was under UWW's same day weigh-in rules, so 157 seems like a possibility.
He was 24 then! Lol

Teague is a 149
Agreed. But I expect Williams to beat him out, which is why I said IF he can bulk to 157. In a world where everyone slotted perfect you are correct that 149 is where he falls.

If this new 2 hour weigh-in rule stands there will be a lot more cutting than bulking.

He was 24 then! Lol

Agreed. But I expect Williams to beat him out, which is why I said IF he can bulk to 157. In a world where everyone slotted perfect you are correct that 149 is where he falls.
I’d be curious how that ranking match would go. Teague beat the NIU guy in the finals that beat williams in the semis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT