ADVERTISEMENT

New Colt Cobra

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
Yeah I know...Colt has had its share of issues in terms of cash flow over the years and they have no one to blame but themselves...but I have always like the Colt guns I have purchased. Now, that’s out of the way...

So it’s another revolver...except it’s not just that. It’s the first real Colt revolver in production and a new design in decades. Being a Colt fan, I just had to pick one up. The positive reviews it’s had are justified in my book. The silver ion bond finish is nice and so far has kept from forming a turn line in the cylinder. I’ve fired about 200 rounds out of it with everything from wadcutters to 38 +P, seems to be dead on at about 20-25 yards. The trigger is NICE. Very smooth in double action and measured right at about 3 pounds give or take an ounce on my scale. It was about 9 pounds in DA. It’s advertised at 7 pounds, but I couldn’t duplicate that.

I’m like most Colt guys that hope Colt goes ahead and makes another line of snake guns. They came out with the Night Cobra, but I like having a hammer spur so I doubt I get one. There will never be another true Python, if they do make it, it will be in name only as I highly doubt the guys who hand fitted those parts are available now, nor would Colt want to take that chance in today’s market as it would probably be cost prohibitive.

I don’t have a 44 mag revolver, so I’m hoping they trot out a Anaconda at some point.

The Cobra is a 2 inch barrel only at this point. Shoots 38 Special +P, Colt still hasn’t said whether they will make a .357 revolver again or not.

Given the fever over the Cobra and what I have read, anything less than a new Python will be sour grapes for most.

Screw Colt! Get a Korth (then can I come over and fondle it?)

Lol!!! I know right? I dig what Korth puts out, handled one once. I have a poor mans Python, my S&W 686 no dash Distinguished Combat Magnum, with the silohuette target sights. I bought it awhile back, has the original box with documents and tools still inside the plastic wrapper, never been opened. Full under lug barrel, so at first glance it really looks like a stainless Python. It’s probably stouter than a Python as the Pythons weren’t made to take a beating really.

If I didn’t spend so much cash on ammo and all the other interests I have in guns, I would probably buy a Korth. But my true love is old milsurp rifles, and lately I have been adding so many of those to my collection as well as ammo, I just haven’t relegated any funds to big ticket guns. My latest purchase besides the Colt is a 1936 Swiss K31. The accuracy of those old Swiss rifles is just ridiculous when you shoot the original GP11 ammo. I’ve spent many of my days off lately on my home range trying out the K31 at distances up to 300 yards so far. When it cools down, I’m gonna try some 500 yard shots. I’m still adding to my home range as well, building a shoot tower at 500 yards and getting better targets.

I haven’t added much firearms in a while. My kids are too small to shoot with me so I’ve been shooting bows a lot more.

I have no reason to own a $3500 Korth but I would probably buy it if I picked one up. I just love high end wheel guns.

With what Ruger makes, there’s no real reason to spend more than $600 on a revolver. Not that they are polished like the original Pythons or a Korth, but they are reliable, built like a tank, and VERY easy to repair or tune.

My old Security Six is still in my “carousel” of truck guns I carry. I like having a wheel gun at ease of access when I’m driving. If someone doesn’t stop with six big ones from me, then I doubt I could stop them with 7 more from a semi lol.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
I kind of disagree with the general statement that an off the rack Ruger is comparable to a full on custom quality like Korth. The value proposition may not be quite the same but my custom and semi custom guns are so much nicer than off the rack guns, it isn’t funny.

It all depends on what you want. If you just want it to go bang when you pull the go stick, then yeah. If you want something as smooth as greased goose shit, then the Korth or a very modified plain gun will be required. I promise you will be much more accurate with the custom from the trigger alone.

I have 1 full custom 1911, 1 semi custom 1911, & 3 semi custom rifles. There IS a difference.

I have a Ruger GP100 Match Champion. There are leaps and bounds of potential improvements to be made to the weapon, but to get near perfection requires a lot of hand work and expenses. Still, $3500 for the hours of work put into a Korth is probably not a bad deal.

Wheel guns are so dependable and easy to use when and if a stressful situation occurs. It's what I gave the wife to keep by the bedside. No need to look at the gun, go by feel alone, nothing but point and pull. Great for a truck gun for that reason. A lot of revolvers are going to 7 or 8 capacity also now, I guess because the metals and technology allow it, and to compete with semis. I'd like to have a full on custom gun, and if I shot competition, I'm sure I would, but a semi-custom (i.e. something from the S&W Custom shop) is more than adequate for security, as practice makes up the difference (imho).

Yeah, there is no reason to go custom. If you are more interested in having purely functional, there are plenty of nice, reliable, affordable, and accurate options. Until you shoot something on the other end of the spectrum, it is hard to convey the difference, though.

I absolutely love wheel guns. I’m definitely with you there.

There are plenty of smiths out there that will take a current weapon and clean up a lot of slop in the trigger and fiddle with the action. Those two things are probably going to make as much difference as anything easily, quickly and reasonably priced.

I want to replace the sights in my GP100 and have the action overhauled some day. It’s a nice weapon but not near as nice as the Colt Python I traded for it.

I got a chance to shoot a hundred rounds through a custom colt 1911, and it was a dream to shoot. Trigger almost too light except for target/competition (i'm talking a couple of oz). Smooth! I'm with you on what a good smith can do with most decent revolvers- it will feel like a new gun, much better gun. I've learned for myself at least, smooth equals accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT