ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Championship Seeds

Exactly because Cael doesn't plan out exactly how his guys are going to wrestle a match, he lets them open up and have fun. That old method doesn't work anymore.
I am a proponent of innovation more than most, but I do believe there is a time to scout and there is a time to open up, wrestle your match and have fun. I very rarely ever believe in absolutes.

Exactly because Cael doesn't plan out exactly how his guys are going to wrestle a match, he lets them open up and have fun. That old method doesn't work anymore.
I respectfully disagree - Cale has been fortunate to have multiple hammers - when you have Taylor, Ruth, Nolf, Nikal, and Rutherford, you don't have to game plan. He doesn't have those types of wrestlers now as each of them were almost two champions at NCAA tournament in terms of points scored with bonus in multiple rounds. While he has good wrestlers now, none are at that level and the current wrestlers who are even or slightly less skilled will need to have a strategy to beat the elite wrestlers.

Mark Perry Sr. is excellent at breaking down a wrestler and finding their weakness and a major part of the success of both Mark Jr, and Chris.

It’s all about talent. We need more of it and PSU has had a bunch of it. The good news is with these recent classes it looks like we will be able to make that happen (needing more).

Sure we need to develop that talent and there is some concern about being able to do that in the same manner that PSU can but you get enough talent and it makes everything a lot easier and coaches much smarter.

It’s all about talent. We need more of it and PSU has had a bunch of it. The good news is with these recent classes it looks like we will be able to make that happen (needing more).

Sure we need to develop that talent and there is some concern about being able to do that in the same manner that PSU can but you get enough talent and it makes everything a lot easier and coaches much smarter.
We need to improve our feeder program, ie youth, middle school, high school wrestling. We need to invest more into our RTC. Talent will be there and be developed if we play the long game. If we focus on the short game constantly, it will be feast or famine.

Actually that's true, PSU doesn't scout the opposition. Cael wants his wrestlers to be completely unaware of the other guy's tendencies. Cow catchers, double boots, headlocks - it doesn't matter. He simply tells them to "be like water" before they step on the mat.

Oddly enough though, he does plan out their dodgeball games. Every throw & every catch is scripted in advance. Very Bill Walsh like.

Reactions: PoOsKuE and JAY45
Actually that's true, PSU doesn't scout the opposition. Cael wants his wrestlers to be completely unaware of the other guy's tendencies. Cow catchers, double boots, headlocks - it doesn't matter. He simply tells them to "be like water" before they step on the mat.

Oddly enough though, he does plan out their dodgeball games. Every throw & every catch is scripted in advance. Very Bill Walsh like.

While I think that is true overall, there are several recent examples of PSU wrestlers scouting for and wrestling a very specific game plan for a particular wrestler. Again talent also dictates this to a degree.

RBY vs DeSanto 2 last year is a shining example.

While I think that is true overall, there are several recent examples of PSU wrestlers scouting for and wrestling a very specific game plan for a particular wrestler. Again talent also dictates this to a degree.

RBY vs DeSanto 2 last year is a shining example.

Not a big fan of sarcasm I take it.

How about this one instead - if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a cement mixer.

Not that it matters but there was an update in the 285 bracket, Harris now has Schultz the 4 seed who is 12-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT