149 - 4 Lewallen vs 29 Komara KENT
157 - 33 Sheets vs 32 Frinzi LEH
165 - 10 Wittlake vs 23 Lee Penn State
174 - 18 Plott vs 15 Flitz APP - #2 Romero UVU would be his 2nd round opponent
184 - 11 Geer vs 22 Kane UNC
197 - 4 Ferrari vs 29 McCracken KENT
HWT - 30 Harris vs 3 Stencel CMU

Last edited:
I see everyone getting their first-round win except for Harris. He's gonna have to work through the consultation round.

Wittlake drops to #10 after his Big12 loss. Would get Smith from Ohio St in round 2. We'll find out a lot in this tourney.

I like Geer's draw.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Wittlake killed himself with his performance last weekend. Really tough draw. Hate Boo hitting Moore so damn early. Boo has handled him but don’t like trying to beat someone a 4th time.

Wittlake killed himself with his performance last weekend. Really tough draw. Hate Boo hitting Moore so damn early. Boo has handled him but don’t like trying to beat someone a 4th time.

Not trying to jinx Boo, but I don't think Moore is a huge threat. He doesn't have a lot of offense. He's been springing into that front head position since HS. Boo needs to wrestle solid this tournament and be careful when he goes for turns on top.

No one has looked dominant at 165 this year. If Wittlake wrestles with an edge, he can win the title IMO.

Man rough for Travis but with a short year a late loss Ike that can really hurt.

Man rough for Travis but with a short year a late loss Ike that can really hurt.

I think he has a pretty good draw - I like where he is on the bracket. Potentially Ethan Smith from Ohio St. Thursday night, Anthony Valencia Friday morning, and Jake Wentzel to get to finals. If he wrestles like he is capable, he should be in the finals. I think Griffith from Stanford, Lewis from Va Tech and Marinelli are more difficult match ups for him.

Reactions: osu2082 and tom_v31
I think he has a pretty good draw - I like where he is on the bracket. Potentially Ethan Smith from Ohio St. Thursday night, Anthony Valencia Friday morning, and Jake Wentzel to get to finals. If he wrestles like he is capable, he should be in the finals. I think Griffith from Stanford, Lewis from Va Tech and Marinelli are more difficult match ups for him.
I'd agree, sounded like Valencia beat Griffith off one move think Wittlake matches up well but gotta be ready & sharp first day again st Smith.

He beat Wentzel like a drum last year. Had him stuck in Stillwater but the ref was slow to get in position. Wittlake has such good position and is great with controlling the ties, I think he can make the finals.

I know make the brackets is tough but there are so many Big 12 rematches early. Part of the fun of NCAAs is to see new matchups.

Reactions: osu2082
I love our draws.
At 197 Noah Adams is on the other side of the bracket and gets Myles Amine early. Adams is a beast and has only taken losses from Bucannon (who is is his kryptonite). Not saying Adams will win that match, but he is the sleeper in the group.
If Whitlake can get through Ethan Smith that will go well for him.

Not that anyone cares, but here’s OU’s draws:

133: Anthony Madrigal finished the year only 6-8, but due to his great Big 12 tournament and his really good year last year (my own narrative), he gets the #11 seed. He’ll face the #22 seed Mario Guillen from Ohio who finished the year 8-3. We should get a win here, then will probably face higher seeds from here on out.

141: Dom Demas gets the #5 seed with his 12-1 record. He faces Marcos Polanco, the #28 seed from Minnesota who went 6-7. I like his seed here. He’ll have a tougher than normal match next with a kid I think is underranked. But he should be good until the quarterfinals at least.

149: Mitch Moore went 9-4 on the season and has his work cut out for him. He gets the #13 seed, which puts him up against #20 seed Josh Heil of Campbell, and is seriously underrated here with a 7-2 record. For his troubles if he wins, he gets to face #4 seed Boo Llewelyn of OSU, who he just faced in the Big 12 finals, and who he has lost to three times this year already.

157: Justin Thomas parlayed his 10-3 record into the #10 seed. He’ll face the #23 seed from Wyoming, 16-4 Jacob Wright. Good matchup as we’ve beaten him already (twice I think).

174: Anthony Mantanona finished the season 7-7 and gets the #23 seed. He is our lone At-Large wrestler, and he faces Peyton Mocco of Missouri, the #10 seed. Mocco was 11-1 for Missouri. Ant Man is a guy who has the potential to finish higher than his seed.

197: Jake Woodley ended the regular season at 9-7, but that record was against some of the tougher guys in the nation. He only gets the #26 seed, and will face the #7 seed Rocky Elam of Missouri who finished 11-0. That’s a tall order, but he’s much better than his seed indicates. IF he could get past Elam, I think he’s got a legit shot to get much farther than his seed. If not, getting through the backside of consolations will be extremely tough.

HWT: Josh Heindselman gets the #19 seed and faces Trent Hilger of Wisconsin. Heindselman’s 9-5 record looks better than the Wisconsin HWT’s 6-4 record, but most of the best HWTs are in the #14 seed’s conference.

All in all, not bad. Definitely could have been a lot worse. I like our chances to advance most of our squad.

Not that anyone cares, but here’s OU’s draws:

133: Anthony Madrigal finished the year only 6-8, but due to his great Big 12 tournament and his really good year last year (my own narrative), he gets the #11 seed. He’ll face the #22 seed Mario Guillen from Ohio who finished the year 8-3. We should get a win here, then will probably face higher seeds from here on out.

141: Dom Demas gets the #5 seed with his 12-1 record. He faces Marcos Polanco, the #28 seed from Minnesota who went 6-7. I like his seed here. He’ll have a tougher than normal match next with a kid I think is underranked. But he should be good until the quarterfinals at least.

149: Mitch Moore went 9-4 on the season and has his work cut out for him. He gets the #13 seed, which puts him up against #20 seed Josh Heil of Campbell, and is seriously underrated here with a 7-2 record. For his troubles if he wins, he gets to face #4 seed Boo Llewelyn of OSU, who he just faced in the Big 12 finals, and who he has lost to three times this year already.

157: Justin Thomas parlayed his 10-3 record into the #10 seed. He’ll face the #23 seed from Wyoming, 16-4 Jacob Wright. Good matchup as we’ve beaten him already (twice I think).

174: Anthony Mantanona finished the season 7-7 and gets the #23 seed. He is our lone At-Large wrestler, and he faces Peyton Mocco of Missouri, the #10 seed. Mocco was 11-1 for Missouri. Ant Man is a guy who has the potential to finish higher than his seed.

197: Jake Woodley ended the regular season at 9-7, but that record was against some of the tougher guys in the nation. He only gets the #26 seed, and will face the #7 seed Rocky Elam of Missouri who finished 11-0. That’s a tall order, but he’s much better than his seed indicates. IF he could get past Elam, I think he’s got a legit shot to get much farther than his seed. If not, getting through the backside of consolations will be extremely tough.

HWT: Josh Heindselman gets the #19 seed and faces Trent Hilger of Wisconsin. Heindselman’s 9-5 record looks better than the Wisconsin HWT’s 6-4 record, but most of the best HWTs are in the #14 seed’s conference.

All in all, not bad. Definitely could have been a lot worse. I like our chances to advance most of our squad.

Woodley at #26 is a joke, almost as bad as Wittlake at #10

I hope he is healthy enough to do something
I don't think his health is going to change until he has time to get his knee taken care of. My observation is the knee has gotten worse and worse. I am glad he has a chance to wrestle at Nationals and so who knows for sure what is going to happen. Wyatt deserves a good break and so do the Cowboys in general.

I was thinking at Tulsa about Woodley being stuck at a weight with 4 of the top 197s in the country. He is a good wrestler who is strong and I could see him causing some trouble in St. Louis.

I don't think his health is going to change until he has time to get his knee taken care of. My observation is the knee has gotten worse and worse. I am glad he has a chance to wrestle at Nationals and so who knows for sure what is going to happen. Wyatt deserves a good break and so do the Cowboys in general.
Lol. 👍🏻

I was thinking at Tulsa about Woodley being stuck at a weight with 4 of the top 197s in the country. He is a good wrestler who is strong and I could see him causing some trouble in St. Louis.
Just my opinion, but I think Elam could not have drawn a worse first round match. I really don’t like him, but he does have a ton of fight in him.

Speaking of 197, Adams and Buchanan will likely meet in the 2nd round for their 4th match of the year.

Won't matter at the end of the day, but Wittlake really slid in the seeding process. Nomad ran the seeding matrix and had him getting #6.

Willie Saylor said he never saw someone drop so much because of a single loss.

Won't matter at the end of the day, but Wittlake really slid in the seeding process. Nomad ran the seeding matrix and had him getting #6.

Willie Saylor said he never saw someone drop so much because of a single loss.

Wittlake is in a good spot to take over the 2 seed, Valencia doesn't have a lot of matches this season. Smith is a concern. But look at the seeds, if you could hand pick a spot for him do you think you could pick one thats any better than where his is, its a style matcheup issue, plus we don't really know about some of those guys with less than 10 matches, can they handle the grind or are they more likely to get dinged up?

Reactions: turfpoke
Hopefully that 10 seed put a huge chip on his shoulder. Guys have to learn that you can’t keep matches close. Have to go out there in the first period and get a couple of takedowns. 0-0 after the first period and it’s anyone’s match. Take down and it takes 30 seconds to escape. 1:30 left. Takes another 10-15 seconds to set something up. Get into a 20-30 second scramble..now we are under a minute. Set something up and get into another scramble and the period is over. Repeat in the 3rd period and whoever wins that scramble wins the match. Guys are just too cautious, and not just OSU, about giving up that first takedown. Go out there and let it fly from the opening whistle. I want to see guys go out there like AJ did in his finals match. Let’s find out who is in the best shape and who wants it more. Dakota Geer has lost a few matches wrestling aggressively, but I’d rather see that than 3-1 matches. I want the other teams scared to draw a Cowboy because they know they are in for 7 minutes of full speed wrestling. There is just no excuse for some of the matches I’ve seen where a guy takes 1 or 2 shots.

Agree with both of the above.

I like Wittlake's draw - I have him making the finals. That's why I said end of the day it won't matter. Just pointing out the committee made some weird decisions. Another one is that Weber was #17 in the final coaches' poll, but he got the 9 seed. Nomad mentioned that as well.

Hoping this is a wakeup call for Wittlake.

Reactions: turfpoke
Just read where Coach Smith stated that only 10 to 12% of wrestlers could have finished the season with the injury Wyatt has. Sheets is a tough guy who doesn't quit.

I want the other teams scared to draw a Cowboy because they know they are in for 7 minutes of full speed wrestling. There is just no excuse for some of the matches I’ve seen where a guy takes 1 or 2 shots.

To veer slightly off-topic, this sums up nicely what I miss about "the 'ol days" of Cowboy Wrestling with my nostalgia-tinted glasses. Put a whuppin' on from the whistle, have 3+ go-to attacks, and just overwhelm opponents. That's part of why I worry about Daton winning it - he has a couple of great attacks but when guys are able to neutralize them, he doesn't have much else and then it becomes more of a grind-it-out match which is by nature harder to win. And I'm hearing our guys say more and more "I don't prepare for any particular opponent, I just go out and wrestle my match". Nah - coaches need to be picking apart our guys' opponents' weaknesses beforehand and coaching them to win that match against that person. Opponent gives up right leg takedowns more than left? Focus on the right. Especially in a tournament setting, find out if the kid was favoring something in a previous match and press that advantage. I believe 100% that our opponents are doing it against us and is part of why we've slipped from upper-tier dominance these last couple years. Match film is so easily available these days, I wonder how much OSU's guys are getting researched by our opponents vs OSU researching our opponents. All easy to say from a keyboard, sure, I just can't help but notice things that have changed as a lifelong follower of this team.

Also, great that Sheets got the nod, but is our reputation so important that we'll risk a guy's health & recovery just to get a few more team points? If he's done after this year I get it, but if he's coming back next season, it seems pretty risky.

I'm still a rah-rah-ree-er. Feel free to ignore me.

Also, great that Sheets got the nod, but is our reputation so important that we'll risk a guy's health & recovery just to get a few more team points? If he's done after this year I get it, but if he's coming back next season, it seems pretty risky.
If he already tore his acl then can't really hurt it especially with wearing the brace.

To veer slightly off-topic, this sums up nicely what I miss about "the 'ol days" of Cowboy Wrestling with my nostalgia-tinted glasses. Put a whuppin' on from the whistle, have 3+ go-to attacks, and just overwhelm opponents. That's part of why I worry about Daton winning it - he has a couple of great attacks but when guys are able to neutralize them, he doesn't have much else and then it becomes more of a grind-it-out match which is by nature harder to win. And I'm hearing our guys say more and more "I don't prepare for any particular opponent, I just go out and wrestle my match". Nah - coaches need to be picking apart our guys' opponents' weaknesses beforehand and coaching them to win that match against that person. Opponent gives up right leg takedowns more than left? Focus on the right. Especially in a tournament setting, find out if the kid was favoring something in a previous match and press that advantage. I believe 100% that our opponents are doing it against us and is part of why we've slipped from upper-tier dominance these last couple years. Match film is so easily available these days, I wonder how much OSU's guys are getting researched by our opponents vs OSU researching our opponents. All easy to say from a keyboard, sure, I just can't help but notice things that have changed as a lifelong follower of this team.

I'm still a rah-rah-ree-er. Feel free to ignore me.
Best example I recall of this was Chris Perry getting ready for Andrew Howe- he knew exactly how he was going to wrestle the big XII championship match and NCAA finals. I am guessing this was his dad doing this, but clearly worked and we have someone in the room that clearly understands the value of this.

Best example I recall of this was Chris Perry getting ready for Andrew Howe- he knew exactly how he was going to wrestle the big XII championship match and NCAA finals. I am guessing this was his dad doing this, but clearly worked and we have someone in the room that clearly understands the value of this.
How many team titles was Chris a part of?

Zero, but One G slip in the semi finals away and the closest we have been since winning. But I am not sure what that has to do with an individual scouting his opponent?
Exactly because Cael doesn't plan out exactly how his guys are going to wrestle a match, he lets them open up and have fun. That old method doesn't work anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT