ADVERTISEMENT

Naming my first born. Its a Boy

geraldrooney

2nd Team
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
Holy hell one of the hardest things I have been through. The wife and I almost needed counseling. She eventually just gave up her search because I did not agree with anything she liked. She left me to do the searching so she would not get shot down. We eventually found 2 that we both liked. We decided to go with Merrick. Merrick Dawson will be here in May but I had to get this name thing done or it could of killed our marriage.

Has anyone else almost ruined their marriage over the name game?

Word of advice. Never tell anyone the name you have settled on until the baby is here and the name is on the birth certificate. Otherwise, you will get comments from rude people (family members) who can't keep their mouth shut when they don't like what you have chosen. Once the baby is named, they have no choice but to grin and act like they like it, even if they don't.

My wife and I didn't have too many issues naming our kids. I tried hard to get her to name our son Mason (after Desmond) or Logan (after Woverine), but she shot both of those down. We each used veto power on a few name the other suggested, but eventually found common ground an settled on names that we both liked/could live with.

Was really easy for us. Maybe we just have the same taste. We chose Asher Iain and Elijah Eoin (pronounced Owen). All our boys will have a variant of John as a middle name. Our girl name we had ready at birth was Isla (pronounced eye-la) Caire. We are going to have one more.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Oh, we also kept the names a secret. Actually, not learning the gender until birth and keeping the names a secret were the best things we did. People would ask and I would tell them we were naming a boy Arlo, Odin, or Hurkamer just so I could see them cringe.

Not really, and I have 4 kids. My wife DID want to name my son after me, as a junior, and I said absolutely not. I agreed to him having the same middle name as me. We just bounced ideas off each other until we agreed.

I coached a girl on one of my daughter's soccer teams named Merrick nearly 20 years ago.

This post was edited on 12/27 12:58 PM by Marshal Jim Duncan

Oh I could care less what others think. But I get what your saying. We knew when we told are family they would be a little underwhelmed until they warmed up to it. Which they did. But we reserve the right to change it. A pregnant women can go through a lot of changes. Or if a mass murderer with the same name appears all of a sudden we will make the change.

We used family names, and didn't have much issue deciding. Glad you two got it worked out.

I named my first born son when I was in middle school. It took several pregnant months to convince my wife be she eventually capitulated.

The second one was a little harder. At one point when we were going over all sorts of combinations of family names she decided Jefferson Davis was a winner. She had no idea who that was.

Originally posted by Marshal Jim Duncan:
Not really, and I have 4 kids. My wife DID want to name my son after me, as a junior, and I said absolutely not. I agreed to him having the same middle name as me. We just bounced ideas off each other until we agreed.

I coached a girl on one of my daughter's soccer teams named Merrick nearly 20 years ago.

Merrick Fisher?

I'll just say if naming the child almost led to counseling, I would really suggest getting couples counseling. Once you have a child, there will be disagreements in parenting. I would recommend setting up an appointment with someone if you guys agree to attend for 2-3 sessions. Will help you guys gain tools on how to disagree cordially and not fall into a cycle of arguing. I would also ask if co-therapy is an option. Just my thoughts.

So long ago I don't remember, but we did it quickly and easily. We agree on most everything anyways. We both liked Kevin for the oldest son.....the youngest was kind of named after Ryne Sandberg as I was a crazy Cubs fan back in the 80's and loved Ryno.....Didn't like the spelling as we did the traditional Ryan, but his nickname has been Ryno since he was born.

Originally posted by geraldrooney:
Originally posted by Marshal Jim Duncan:

Merrick Fisher?
No. Her name was Merric Dosser (no k, if I remember correctly).

Oh I could care less what others think. But I get what your saying. We knew when we told are family they would be a little underwhelmed until they warmed up to it. Which they did. But we reserve the right to change it. A pregnant women can go through a lot of changes. Or if a mass murderer with the same name appears all of a sudden we will make the change.
Mafia hit man Richard Kuklinski, aka "The Iceman" had a daughter named Merrick.

Originally posted by TPOKE:

Well shit.

Originally posted by okstpsy:
I'll just say if naming the child almost led to counseling, I would really suggest getting couples counseling. Once you have a child, there will be disagreements in parenting. I would recommend setting up an appointment with someone if you guys agree to attend for 2-3 sessions. Will help you guys gain tools on how to disagree cordially and not fall into a cycle of arguing. I would also ask if co-therapy is an option. Just my thoughts.
Its not that serious just poking fun at myself and the process we went through.

Well shit.
The only reason I know that is I just watched The Iceman on Netflix. Although the kids had different names on the show, I followed up with some reading and learned there real names.

Man I just finally said screw it and let my ex pick. She picked both our kids' names because she hated all of mine.

No. I know a girl with that name and she's slutty.
No. So and so named their kid that.
No. It sounds like a dog.
No. Too old.
No. Too long.
No. Too short.
No. Too biblical.
No. Not biblical enough.
No. Because you thought of it!

Wow, deft handling of a moronic, nosy, busybody suggestion.

Regarding serial killers, my opinion is that one of the great things you can do for contemporary society is to rescue names back from serial killers so they become associated with good people again. Joel, Rory, or Jeffrey might be good options.

My son was born in Texas. We decided to name him Kyle. I can't tell you the number of aggies
who assumed I went to A&M and thought the middle name of our boy was "Field". Apparently, it's quite popular for little aggie boys to have the first name of "Kyle" and the middle name of "Field".

Freaks.

Our guidelines when naming our kids were not to name them after anyone in our family and keep it to where they didn't have to spell it every time they said it.

Originally posted by 100TonsofOrangeFury:

How is what I said moronic? I work in the mental health field and wanted to chime to offer a suggestion...on a forum...where people publicly discuss things. My post was meant to help. So help me understand specifically how I'm moronic and nosy. It's not like the info above wasn't typed for discussion.

Ok good. I was worried when I read your initial post. Oh and congratulations!!!!

I'll give you fifty bucks if you show me a certified birth certificate in May with Merrick Dawson ______ as the infant's name.

Jus' sayin'.

Five months is a long time for two people not to second guess themselves over a child's name.

How is what I said moronic? I work in the mental health field and wanted to chime to offer a suggestion...on a forum...where people publicly discuss things. My post was meant to help. So help me understand specifically how I'm moronic and nosy. It's not like the info above wasn't typed for discussion.
Because I do believe you said it out of concern, I'll apologize for being rude about my take. But inserting yourself and offering unsolicited advice about someone's personal life and marital relationship on the basis of a freaking message board post laced with light-hearted, in-jest commentary is beyond odd. The matter under discussion was the naming of a child, not a request for commentary on the health of the guy's most important relationship.

"Do I know that person at all, and is it any of my business?" is a good litmus test for evaluating a stranger's need for mental health assistance.

So is it a requirement these days to have your boys name end with 'en'? Kaden, Brayden, Jayden, Aaden, etc. Barf.

I just don't get all these parents expressing themselves through the name of their kid. Some of these names today sound real cute when it's the name of a 4 year old boy but what 40 year old man wants to be called Jayden or Brayden? I feel like these parents don't realize that their child will actually become an adult someday.

Today, it is really popular to have unusual spelling of a child's name. Sounds great as parents. Creative. Chances are your child will not love it. I'm 54 and I have a unique spelling for a first name. Donal...no "d" on the end. Just about every certificate during grade school is misspelled. People mispronounce my name all the time. People correct applications just assuming I can't spell my name correctly. Imagine running a half marathon to have your name announced Don-el. Yeah, I could go with "Don"...but I never have went by the shorten name. I wish mom would have stuck to a traditional spelling. In fact, I purposely misspelled my name on my card that you hand to the announcer at my OSU graduation so that I wouldn't run the risk of a mispronounced name. Just my 2 cents to add about fun names and their spelling.

I didn't realize that naming your kid with a name that ends with "en" was a thing as I only have one that I can think of amongst my friends and family.

We had some ground rules.

No popular first names (Asher was not popular at all at the time, pisses me off that it's top ten or whatever now)
All boys would have an Irish/Scottish variant of John
All girls would have a variant of Carrie
No other family names would be used

We didn't tell anyone in the family our names and have still had family members comment. For example, the comment on Elijah was that it was a "black" name. Last I checked it is an old hebrew name just the same as Asher. Everybody dislikes that we went with traditiional Irish/Scottish spellings for the middle names but we like them a lot and didn't find it to be a big deal because most of the time all that is listed is a middle initial. If the kids don't like them they can change thier names when they turn 18. So, even after they are born family will make comments about how they don't like the spelling, the name, or be offended you didn't name them after them.

photo.jpg

Originally posted by 100TonsofOrangeFury:

Because I do believe you said it out of concern, I'll apologize for being rude about my take. But inserting yourself and offering unsolicited advice about someone's personal life and marital relationship on the basis of a freaking message board post laced with light-hearted, in-jest commentary is beyond odd. The matter under discussion was the naming of a child, not a request for commentary on the health of the guy's most important relationship.

"Do I know that person at all, and is it any of my business?" is a good litmus test for evaluating a stranger's need for mental health assistance.
I appreciate the apology. I wasn't trying to pry. You're right, it is odd for most people to inquire about those topics but that's essentially what my career consists of. I do realize that the content was the naming process but I was concerned about the statements the OP made and just wanted to offer support. We're good, 100TOOF.

That was one Evil man.

Cordellhall83 and I agree. We gave our kids names they wouldn't have to spell every time they said it. When out son, first child, was born the nurse asked what we were going to name him. After we told her she said, "Thank goodness, finally a normal name for a change."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT