ADVERTISEMENT

My Grandfather

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
Emigrated to the US from Ireland. He walked and worked his way into logging country of central Arkansas where he hitched on with a company as a mule skinner, married my grandmother and had a passel of kids, 4 boys and three girls, the baby being my mother. Around 1925-26 he hitched his mules to a covered wagon, loaded his family into it and trekked into Oklahoma, settling on a farm near Binger. He arrived just in time for the dust bowl years. I don’t know how his family survived those years, but I do know it made him strong willed and hard as an anvil. He moved to town eventually and ran a hardware store. When I was a boy I would spend summers with my grandparents. They had a huge garden from which my grandmother would grow vegetables for dinner and can things to be opened in the winter. I loved going to the hardware store, especially going into the back warehouse. I can still recall the smell of the coils of rope.
I held my grandfather in the highest regard. He was one of those men that “didn’t give no shit and didn’t take no shit from nobody.” I don’t see many like him anymore.

I tell this story because he had an uncanny ability to read another person, could tell almost immediately what their character would be. More than once I heard him remark “that guy don’t look right in the face.” That saying has stayed with me all my life.

Those are words I would use to describe that looney governor of Michigan (I can never remember her name). I’ve seen pictures of her and watched her being interviewed on tv, and all I can say is “she don’t look right in the face.” There’s something deranged in her appearance. I’m not talking attractiveness. She just doesn’t look normal.

That is all.

Emigrated to the US from Ireland. He walked and worked his way into logging country of central Arkansas where he hitched on with a company as a mule skinner, married my grandmother and had a passel of kids, 4 boys and three girls, the baby being my mother. Around 1925-26 he hitched his mules to a covered wagon, loaded his family into it and trekked into Oklahoma, settling on a farm near Binger. He arrived just in time for the dust bowl years. I don’t know how his family survived those years, but I do know it made him strong willed and hard as an anvil. He moved to town eventually and ran a hardware store. When I was a boy I would spend summers with my grandparents. They had a huge garden from which my grandmother would grow vegetables for dinner and can things to be opened in the winter. I loved going to the hardware store, especially going into the back warehouse. I can still recall the smell of the coils of rope.
I held my grandfather in the highest regard. He was one of those men that “didn’t give no shit and didn’t take no shit from nobody.” I don’t see many like him anymore.

I tell this story because he had an uncanny ability to read another person, could tell almost immediately what their character would be. More than once I heard him remark “that guy don’t look right in the face.” That saying has stated with me all my life.

Those are words I would use to describe that looney governor of Michigan (I can never remember her name). I’ve seen pictures of her and watched her being interviewed on tv, and all I can say is “she don’t look right in the face.” There’s something deranged in her appearance. I’m not talking attractiveness. She just doesn’t look normal.

That is all.
Ah, a fellow Irishman.
I knew there was some redeeming quality about you.

I never understood the potato famine.
Like, oh sure, that's the only thing that'd grow there?
With all the peat moss for fertilizer?
I've so much to learn. :cool:

I tell this story because he had an uncanny ability to read another person, could tell almost immediately what their character would be. More than once I heard him remark “that guy don’t look right in the face.” That saying has stayed with me all my life.

That is all.

How would he read Trump?

That is all.

Cruella DeVille

My mother was red hair blue eye Irish. History tells us the sub-human Irish wouldn't marry the Indian or the Sub Saharan African, but would jump all over the off spring of the Indian and the black American, just as my mother and great grandfather did.

Reactions: iasooner1
My mother was red hair blue eye Irish. History tells us the sub-human Irish wouldn't marry the Indian or the Sub Saharan African, but would jump all over the off spring of the Indian and the black American, just as my mother and great grandfather did.
Yes, I'd never pretend that my Irish suffered like the blacks.
However, the Irish were in the top five of those to be 'kept in their place'.
My grandfather told me some brutal crap HIS father endured in trying to get a job, a place to live, etc.
White privilege my white ass.

Yes, I'd never pretend that my Irish suffered like the blacks.
However, the Irish were in the top five of those to be 'kept in their place'.
My grandfather told me some brutal crap HIS father endured in trying to get a job, a place to live, etc.
White privilege my white ass.
We Irish were slaves as well for a while....

every time i see the mich guv, i see a nazi/ss death camp guard and she is loving every minute of it.

She was one in a previous life. Her and that Gestapo MF'er standing by her.
531a0db793d4c1e555e5a5f3bdb7103c.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT