ADVERTISEMENT

Music Lovers - especially those 40 and over.

Marshal Jim Duncan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2013
If you don't have a turntable, receiver, and some decent speakers you owe to yourself to get them. I just did and I'm loving it.

Alas, I don't have a lot of my old records, But, I have been amazed at how good a few of them still sound. Of course, the Klipsch Heresy III speakers I bit the bullet and invested in certainly contribute to the rich sound.

I bought Van Morrison's Moondance on 180 gram vinyl and Fleetwood Mac Rumors (a particular favorite of my wife) new, and the sound is fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaPoke
I'm under 40 and bought a turnable, speakers and vintage stand about 4 or 5 months back. Love it. It is a lot of fun to go to the record shop and dig. I forgot how much I like listening to whole albums and not just single songs.

I also bought my setup from an old hippie. I highly recommend buying things from old hippies.

Reactions: MegaPoke
How many pieces of vinyl do you own?

Me? Probably about 30-40 unfortunately. Sold a lot in my rash young adult days in the early 90's. But I didn't have a ton anyway. I'm going to be changing that a lot over the next few months.

I have a friend that has over 3,000

Vinyl is the way to go. I think the newest album I have is around 1989. New technology like CD's will go the way of the 8-track.......

I still have around 200 records, I just just don't have a good turntable anymore. I've been intending to get another one but it just hasn't made the top of the list of things to do.
My old Dalquist speakers are in the garage. I paid about $800 for them 26 years ago. I just use my B&W now because the wife doesn't gripe about the size.

I just use my B&W now because the wife doesn't gripe about the size.

What's the deal with women and speakers? My B&W's are huge and I never hear the end of it. "Why don't you get some that aren't so loud and we can hide them behind these two books?"

Wut? Number one, the amp would melt anything smaller; number two...nm.

You used to buy these wooden crates at record stores that were built to hold LPs. I lost four of them full of albums in a burglary in 1981. Haven't bought any vinyl since. I could be coaxed into trying it.

What's the deal with women and speakers? My B&W's are huge and I never hear the end of it. "Why don't you get some that aren't so loud and we can hide them behind these two books?"

Wut? Number one, the amp would melt anything smaller; number two...nm.

You used to buy these wooden crates at record stores that were built to hold LPs. I lost four of them full of albums in a burglary in 1981. Haven't bought any vinyl since. I could be coaxed into trying it.

You can still get those wooden crates.

What is the primary input to the receiver/amp from the turntable? May have to upgrade that too when I buy the turntable.
Just an RCA type plug.

My set up is:

Audio Technica Turntable
Yamaha R-S500BL 75 Watt receiver
Klipsch Heresy III speeakers.

The other night I listened to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, which I purchased in 1985 in Stillwater at the record store on the strip (Hastings?) and it was damn near perfect. I was shocked that is was still in good shape, because I have not taken special care of these records over the years (they were packed away in the attic at our old house in my early married days). Side 2 was perfect. Side 1 had a very slight warp and wobble during the first track (So What).

I have a list of records I must buy new. But I also want to enjoy going out to flea markets and used record stores also.

"I also bought my setup from an old hippie. I highly recommend buying things from old hippies.[/QUOTE]

I purchased quite a few albums in 1986 from a record store in Stillwater called Record Exchange. It was owned and operated by an really cool old hippie. Think his name was Richard? Great guy.

Struggle with this. I've read a lot and tested my own ear. I don't hear enough difference to justify moving back to a medium that is unwieldy and much more prone to damage. I linked an article that probably encompasses my feelings accurately.

PS - I have probably 400 plus albums. Most reside with my kids, who are convinced that vinyl sounds better.

I even saw a deal on cassette tapes making comebacks. Everything old is new again ...

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/29-vinyl-records-and-digital-audio/

Reactions: CowboyJD
"I also bought my setup from an old hippie. I highly recommend buying things from old hippies.

I purchased quite a few albums in 1986 from a record store in Stillwater called Record Exchange. It was owned and operated by an really cool old hippie. Think his name was Richard? Great guy.[/QUOTE]
A lot of my vinyl was purchased here. The owner passed away some years ago, I believe from cancer or some other chronic health issue. Vinyl was very out of favor when I was a student (86-90) so used records were super cheap. The store was at the NW corner of Miller and Main.

"I also bought my setup from an old hippie. I highly recommend buying things from old hippies.

I purchased quite a few albums in 1986 from a record store in Stillwater called Record Exchange. It was owned and operated by an really cool old hippie. Think his name was Richard? Great guy.[/QUOTE]

Shopped there a lot as I was doing some DJ work at the time.

He always greeted customers with a very warm, "Hey maaaaaan, how's it goin'" as you walked in.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I haven't got much into vinyl, but I'm tempted to give it a shot. As a child of the 90's, I still love my CDs. I have 450+.

MP3s sound like complete compressed garbage. I loathe buying anything on iTunes.

Record Exchange was my favorite place in Stillwater as well. That intersection just doesn't look right to me anymore.

Reactions: CowboyJD
None of this means anything unless you use a Marantz receiver.
My junior year of high school, I bought a receiver, turntable and speakers. The receiver was a Marantz 2220B, which is a lower-powered model but has served me well over the almost 40 years I've owned it. This past spring, I took it to a guy in Collinsville who works on vintage receivers and he completely refurbished the electronics for about $300. It is good as new and I couldn't be happier. Vintage Marantz is the best bang for your buck you can get, imo.

I purchased quite a few albums in 1986 from a record store in Stillwater called Record Exchange. It was owned and operated by an really cool old hippie. Think his name was Richard? Great guy.
A lot of my vinyl was purchased here. The owner passed away some years ago, I believe from cancer or some other chronic health issue. Vinyl was very out of favor when I was a student (86-90) so used records were super cheap. The store was at the NW corner of Miller and Main.[/QUOTE]

Dudes name was Ken Sears. When you walked in it was Hey Man! Hell, I spent hours at the Record Exchange. Ken bought about 300+ albums from me. Stole those suckers! Wish I had kept them obviously.

Reactions: CarrolltonPoke
Cant remember all the details, but I believe Ken died of a heart attack. I think he was up in Missouri visiting his boys and was out on a blind date. May have went out in style. @ 1999 or so.

Reactions: CarrolltonPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT