ADVERTISEMENT

Most popular craft beers from each state

squeak

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2001
Thought this was pretty interesting. I've only had 11 of these.

http://thechive.com/2015/01/18/the-most-popular-craft-beers-from-each-state/
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by parlayn_poke:
14... Haha @ Texas. What an unbelievably crappy beer state...
It is the most "popular" so this is probably just the mash up of a really popular beer that is still made by an independent brewer. The same as Yuengling for PA.

Of course I like both of those and they are among the few I've had. Not a fan of IPAs so a lot of those have no interest either.

Also going to guess you'd get a more scientific study at a 6th grade fair than from The Chive.

Fat tire and yeungling are the worst that I have had.

I went to the Abita Brewery last summer and out of all the brewery tours I've been too this was the only one that was free admission and as much as you could drink for an hour. If you got there in time you were on the list for the tour and once the tour was over you got to hang out in the gathering area for an hour and they had about a dozen of their different beers on tape and you were given a 12 oz cup and were allowed to go through the line with 2 max if someone else gave you theirs. Walk through the line, slam em', get back in line. Repeat. It was awesome.

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde:

Originally posted by parlayn_poke:
14... Haha @ Texas. What an unbelievably crappy beer state...
It is the most "popular" so this is probably just the mash up of a really popular beer that is still made by an independent brewer. The same as Yuengling for PA.
Exactly, Shiner has been around a long long time and the bars/restaurants that don't have it on tap or serve it in TX are few and far between. I doubt Sam Adams is the best craft beer in PA.

The craft beer scene in Texas has exploded in the past few years. Texas is now #2 behind California with a 2.3 billion dollar market and has plenty more room to grow. Predictions of 5 billion plus in just a few years.

link

Originally posted by nathajw:

I went to the Abita Brewery last summer and out of all the brewery tours I've been too this was the only one that was free admission and as much as you could drink for an hour. If you got there in time you were on the list for the tour and once the tour was over you got to hang out in the gathering area for an hour and they had about a dozen of their different beers on tape and you were given a 12 oz cup and were allowed to go through the line with 2 max if someone else gave you theirs. Walk through the line, slam em', get back in line. Repeat. It was awesome.

How were the Abita's? I picked up some Abita Jockamo IPA one day and they sucked. Guy at the store told me that in his opinion Abita is one of the worst breweries that packages to broad area.

How were the Abita's? I picked up some Abita Jockamo IPA one day and they sucked. Guy at the store told me that in his opinion Abita is one of the worst breweries that packages to broad area.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I like them. I'm not a fan of that IPA either, I've heard the Wrought Iron IPA is better but haven't tried it yet. The fiancee is from Baton Rouge so she loves Abita and swears by them as well as pretty much everyone else from LA I've met through her. There's always some in the house. I like their Amber, Purple Haze, Turbodog, Restoration. She drinks the hell out of their Strawberry when we can find it.

They use spring water from Abita Springs, all Abita's have a very distinct taste to them in that regard, they don't do anything to the water before the brewing process.

Texas having a booming craft beer market isn't anything special and isn't based on quality. Anyone that thinks so needs to take a trip to the upper midwest.

It's simple. Texas is the #1 or #2 market for nearly EVERY adult beverage company.

Originally posted by Adverpoke:
Texas having a booming craft beer market isn't anything special and isn't based on quality. Anyone that thinks so needs to take a trip to the upper midwest.

It's simple. Texas is the #1 or #2 market for nearly EVERY adult beverage company.
This... Selling a lot of craft beer and producing it are two separate things. There is a huge deficit in both quality and quantity in good beers coming from Texas. There are a number of pretty good tap houses though.

FWIW, I'd encourage them to take a trip to the Left Coast if they want good beer, though.

Texas had 96 craft breweries in 2013 trailing only Washington (201), Penn (108), Oregon (181), NY (165), Michigan (131), Colorado (175), and Cal (381). I'm sure that gap has closed even more since then.

It's brewing beer, not rocket surgery. I'd say the Texas breweries are doing just fine in their ability to produce quality:

Regarded as the Super Bowl of Beer, the Great American Beer Festival, which wrapped up its thirty-second iteration in Denver the first weekend in October this year, offers a chance for brewers to showcase their stuff at the nation's largest tasting competition. On the floor of the convention hall, however, GABF-which hosts more than 700 brewers and nearly 50,000 visitors annually-the competition devolves into a mutual admiration society a la the Academy Awards, and there's no question that Texas brewers were on the receiving end of a lot of that love.
Fourteen breweries were awarded sixteen medals (last year, Texas brought home ten medals), including six golds. There were surprises aplenty, with many of the winners clustered around North Texas-as opposed to Austin, which is in danger of losing some of its luster as Texas' craft-brewing capital. Moreover, of the six gold-medal winners, nary a one conformed to the hop-heavy, alcohol bombs that have been dominating beer sales nationwide the past couple of years. In fact, five of the six MVPs that won gold this year show the heavy influence of British brewing traditions. That was enough to make Texas the fourth-winningest state behind only California, Oregon, and Colorado.

Great American Beer Festival

Originally posted by Adverpoke:
Texas group think = bigger is better
For a state that doesn't know how to brew beer they dominated the GABF with Oregon, Cali, and Colorado. 3 states that have 2 to four times as many breweries. Surprisingly I don't see much of a representation of the upper midwest in this link. Illinois did take home 9 medals and 3 golds, half the amount of Texas. Texas also doubled up Wisconsin in total count.

And in no way am I saying it's the best or even better than the upper midwest but to say that Texas is a bad state for beer is crazy. It's not 2008.

This post was edited on 1/19 5:04 PM by nathajw

GABF Results

I have pretty good knowledge of how those things are judged.

Let's just say I don't put much stock in them.

Nobody said Texas wasn't good. I just said that you can practically sell anything with alcohol in that state.

I'll still take something out of Cleveland or even San Diego before turning to Texas.

Is it just me or is Boulevard an underrated regional? Besides their usual, their Tank 7 is stellar and their ipa's are very good. I am increasingly impressed with them.

I guess after living in Colorado and California, then moving to Texas... I found it to be extremely disappointing and I didn't go in with high hopes. They may have 96 breweries but when you look at it from either a per capita or a per sq mi perspective... That is many breweries at all by comparison.

As of 2013, Texas is 42nd in craft breweries per capita (.5 per 100,000). Oregon is first (6.3 per 100,000). Illinois 34th (.9), California is 19th (381 breweries at 1.4/100,000).

The TX 2011 to 2013 increase from 59 to 96 is great, but also in line with OH (45 to 76), NC (59 to 91), NY (75 to 165), and IL (54 to 83).

I can't speak about the quality, since Texas breweries don't really distribute in the Midwest. The GABF performance needs more context: how many TX breweries entered---what was their 'winning percentage?'

This post was edited on 1/20 8:51 AM by Anodyne

Brewers Assoc Stats

Is it just me or is Boulevard an underrated regional? Besides their usual, their Tank 7 is stellar and their ipa's are very good. I am increasingly impressed with them.
-----------------------------------------------------

Had their Mid-Coast IPA for the first time last night, loved it.

I've tried 30 of these. Never had Fargo Brewing Co. Wood Chipper Ale, but would buy it just for the name. Texas is a rapidly growing and improving craft beer state. Austin was, of course, ahead of the game for a long time but other areas are catching up rapidly. Here in DFW we have about 20 breweries operating now with about that many online to open. Laws were changed in the last few years that make things much friendlier for small breweries and especially for brewpubs who can now sell both on and off-site. Quality is improving and we are starting to see some separation between the good, the great, and the meh.

By the way, check out Cedar Creek Brewery beers when you are in Texas. Disclaimer: I own a small piece of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT