ADVERTISEMENT

MINNESOTA

ionel

Starter
Jan 5, 2008
Any info regarding if Minny dual meet will be broadcast? I really don't understand the new okstate web design and especially how there's no info on the wrestling schedule regarding broadcast. Also doesn't show up on Flo.

Reactions: mjacmoses
^^^ yes, if you go to the ESPN+ page and search for 'wrestling' it shows up on the schedule

my first try at predictions. I am usually wrong so often I quit.

125-Picc major don't see a problem against little McKee 4-0
133-Wittcraft Dec-not really confident about this one 7-0
141- Does Gfeller wrestle? Don't think it matters too much. Right now, McKee Dec 7-3
149- Boo over super Frosh Lee, we will see how much progress he has made 10-3
157- Edge to Sheets-barely 13-3
165-Wittlake Dec 16-3
174-Can Shomers hang with #8? no. 16-6
184-197 I think we get 2 majors, no matter what order Dakota and Taco go out 24-6
HWT- Austin Harris just hung tough with #3, and Minny runs out Steveson. But, it is the wrong one. Harris by Dec 27-6.

Reactions: JAY45
It’s going to be a long year. Some of the youngsters showed promise but they will have to grow on the go which means that they will lose some matches they shouldn’t.
I hate that we are down 2 starters and that several more are wrestling up a weight because of it. Geer deserves to be at 84 to give him his best chance at national.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Inject Reece Witcraft right into my veins.
It was really fun to see Witcraft explode after falling behind being pretty sloppy. Another win and confidence builder in his shoulder for Boo. Sheets had a good 3rd period and won. I liked Wittlake's 3rd period also but was not thrilled with the first 2 periods. His development is really important. Pic had a very tough match and just could not get that 1st period takedown.

It’s going to be a long year. Some of the youngsters showed promise but they will have to grow on the go which means that they will lose some matches they shouldn’t.
I hate that we are down 2 starters and that several more are wrestling up a weight because of it. Geer deserves to be at 84 to give him his best chance at national.

Good post but only one guy wrestling up due to a starter being out and it isn’t Geer. They are trying to utilize the talent and potential of Montalvo and also put Geer is a position to finish high. Right now Montalvo at 184 and Geer at 197 is the way they see that happening. Neither are a 174.

Good post but only one guy wrestling up due to a starter being out and it isn’t Geer. They are trying to utilize the talent and potential of Montalvo and also put Geer is a position to finish high. Right now Montalvo at 184 and Geer at 197 is the way they see that happening. Neither are a 174.

I like montalvo but I do not see him as a point scorer for us at nationals. His best attribute is a gas tank and front head position. I know it’s early but man I wish geer was at 84

I like montalvo but I do not see him as a point scorer for us at nationals. His best attribute is a gas tank and front head position. I know it’s early but man I wish geer was at 84

I’m guessing the staff sees something in him. Other than that I’m not sure why you bump Geer up unless Taco is beating him in the room.

John spoke about Geer on the radio show. Said the plan was to see how he does over the next month before deciding whether he goes 184 or 197 at Nationals. Said ideally you set your lineup by mid January. He also said it helps certain guys when they only have to make weight for a couple of months instead of a 5 month season.

Geer will hit Brucki next month at the Princeton dual. That will probably help determine his final weight.

Taco looks like he could make 74 if he had to. Our problem is who to use at 97 and heavy. We are a very limited team this year.

During Wyatt Sheets match my wife asked if he was related to Mike Sheets. When I told her he was, she asked where Mike was and I said I haven't seen him at many of the duels since he graduated. She asked why he wasn't there to watch Wyatt. Any thoughts? Has anyone else seen him at the duels?

Taco looks like he could make 74 if he had to. Our problem is who to use at 97 and heavy. We are a very limited team this year.

Taco hasn’t wrestled below 182 in about 3 or 4 years. I don’t think 174 is realistic for him.

Geer is a top 10 guy at 197 so it isn’t like we are hurting with him up there. G and Smith are the keys for making this “punt” year a success.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
I've been really impressed with Wittlake so far. He seems to wrestle with a maturity (for a lack of a better word) for a young guy. Not saying he will or won't be the guy we all thought when he signed but I think he is going to be a really solid guy for us the next four years.

I will say, we seem to be in pretty good shape this early in the season (at least the guys who are on the mat). Minnesota had a bunch of guys who are strong as bulls with good defense. Looks like their goal was to push is into the third and see if we had the gas tank. Most of our guys did.

During Wyatt Sheets match my wife asked if he was related to Mike Sheets. When I told her he was, she asked where Mike was and I said I haven't seen him at many of the duels since he graduated. She asked why he wasn't there to watch Wyatt. Any thoughts? Has anyone else seen him at the duels?
Mike and his family were there yesterday. He was talking with a Vet friend of mine after the match and I introduced myself. Seems like an awesome family. He has a younger son that's a sophomore. Dont know how often he attends matches.

I agree. I think Montalvo could make 174 fairly easily. The question is did he certify there. We'll have the same issue next year. Joe graduates, but we'll still need to get both Montalvo & Geer into the lineup.

We are not contenders for the team title this year and Geer is a potential finalist @ 184. IMO the other guys have to fit around him. Joe & Montalvo can fill 174 & 197 in some combination.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
I agree. I think Montalvo could make 174 fairly easily. The question is did he certify there. We'll have the same issue next year. Joe graduates, but we'll still need to get both Montalvo & Geer into the lineup.

We are not contenders for the team title this year and Geer is a potential finalist @ 184. IMO the other guys have to fit around him. Joe & Montalvo can fill 174 & 197 in some combination.
I agree about Geer being a threat at 184. He got outhorsed at 197 last year, and probably will this year.
Between matches they had a video clip of what the wrestlers were thankful for.... Geer said he was thankful that he didn't have to cut weight.

Mike and his family were there yesterday. He was talking with a Vet friend of mine after the match and I introduced myself. Seems like an awesome family. He has a younger son that's a sophomore. Dont know how often he attends matches.
Mike is at almost all of the matches and has been for several years. He is my all time favorite wrestler.

Mike is at almost all of the matches and has been for several years. He is my all time favorite wrestler.
I was told by John earlier this year that Geer would be at 184. The only thing that is holding up this scenario is Joe and where he lands. Geer is a very small 197 pounder and he should be at 184 and hopefully he will be by the second semester. Of course we really are hurting at 197 and Kaufman and Hughes do not seem to be the answer from what I have seen.

I was told by John earlier this year that Geer would be at 184. The only thing that is holding up this scenario is Joe and where he lands. Geer is a very small 197 pounder and he should be at 184 and hopefully he will be by the second semester. Of course we really are hurting at 197 and Kaufman and Hughes do not seem to be the answer from what I have seen.
Brent Jones at 133 who Witcraft pinned yesterday was a 4X state champion with a 164-6 record in High School and he was an 8X Fargo Cadet/Junior All-American. He graduated High School in 2017 so two years older than Reece. All I am saying is that Jones is not chopped Liver at 133. Reece is going to have some ups and downs but he is exciting to watch and maturity will go a long way in making him a very good wrestler.

Brent Jones at 133 who Witcraft pinned yesterday was a 4X state champion with a 164-6 record in High School and he was an 8X Fargo Cadet/Junior All-American. He graduated High School in 2017 so two years older than Reece. All I am saying is that Jones is not chopped Liver at 133. Reece is going to have some ups and downs but he is exciting to watch and maturity will go a long way in making him a very good wrestler.

Kinda reminds me of a young Brock.

Reactions: Pacemaker5

Geer himself said it at media days. It sounded early like either Taco or Kaufman would go 197 (I think both initially certified there).

Something has obviously changed as Geer has bumped up and they have gone with Taco at 84.

Could Taco be beating Geer in the room (don’t think so). Is it as simple as not making Geer cut weight the first semester? Or are they slowly seeing if Taco can cut to 174? The last one seems like a stretch as he was wrestling 182 all the way back to 2015.

my first try at predictions. I am usually wrong so often I quit.

125-Picc major don't see a problem against little McKee 4-0
133-Wittcraft Dec-not really confident about this one 7-0
141- Does Gfeller wrestle? Don't think it matters too much. Right now, McKee Dec 7-3
149- Boo over super Frosh Lee, we will see how much progress he has made 10-3
157- Edge to Sheets-barely 13-3
165-Wittlake Dec 16-3
174-Can Shomers hang with #8? no. 16-6
184-197 I think we get 2 majors, no matter what order Dakota and Taco go out 24-6
HWT- Austin Harris just hung tough with #3, and Minny runs out Steveson. But, it is the wrong one. Harris by Dec 27-6.

I obviously don't do predictions well.

I have seen Mike at several duals he usually sits in the GA section on the north side towards the top of the section.

A lot of people have him in that lofty position. Pretty impressive. He's got it all. Movie star looks, obviously a very intelligent man, and as respected as anyone I've ever known. I don't really know him, I've just met him before, and watched him from high school through college. When he wrestled Kenny Monday in the Yukon Tournament finals, I knew he was special. His boy is a Division I starter on the most storied program in college history. I'll bet a paycheck he's a serious student as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT