ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan & Missori Duals this weekend

I watched it live on Rokfin so wasn’t there in person. From the broadcast it looked like the attendance was pretty thin. That could be bc globe life is massive idk. Didn’t look like any Mich fans showed up. I don’t think moving forward this is the right decision to make coming down here and giving up a home dual.

I thought everyone wrestled well except Gfeller and Wittlake. They didn’t wrestle bad just didn’t do anything offensively to even deserve the win. Wittlake got rode out and G just left you with nothing to go off of.
Wittcraft showed some of the best defense and scrambling I’ve seen in a while and would have stuck the kid in the first period if the mat had been normal size. Not gonna lie though, he did look a little emaciated. Has to be a big cut.

Ohh… and he can get off bottom…

Last edited:
141 is progressing. Has been good at getting to legs and is building on that. Is wrestling tougher.

149 has been consistently solid. Should only get better.

157 feels like anything can happen. Tough loss tonight when it looked like he had everything under control. Might have been gassed. Still an outside AA shot.

165 finally seems to be letting it all hang out. Need a long term solution here after this year.

174 solid

184 seems like he’s still on an upward trajectory. Was in deep twice and missed his opportunities tonight. Like 157, might be a fringe AA

197 is continuing to come along

285 have to give it up to Doucet tonight. Seemed liked getting pinned was a likely outcome and he went toe to toe

125 like 157 & far more entertaining to watch. Was absolutely gassed and still had good shots late. Too bad to see it end that way, he deserved better. Bet he bounces back Sunday.

133 what more can you say.

Not a lot to be disappointed in tonight.

ARLINGTON, Texas – Three bonus-point wins led the way in No. 11 Oklahoma State's 24-15 victory over No. 6 Michigan at Bout at the Ballpark in Arlington, Texas, which moved the Cowboys to 10-2 overall.

"I think for the most part takedowns made the difference," head coach John Smith said. "It wasn't like we had perfect matches, we had some that we had to grind out when maybe we thought we would be getting bonus points. In the end, the difference was we were the aggressors and we were the ones who were outscoring early in matches and in matches we needed to win."

Wyatt Sheets and Dustin Plott put the Cowboys up before intermission with a major decision and technical fall in consecutive matches. Sheets was dominant in the top position turning Joaquin Consuelos four times en route to an 18-0 technical fall. Plott took down No. 28 Max Maylor five times in a 12-4 decision, which gave Plott his ninth win over a ranked opponent this season. Oklahoma State finished with 16 takedowns to Michigan's two, with the Wolverines' first takedown not coming until the eighth bout of the night.

After Michigan won three of the next four bouts, including a fall at 125 pounds that brought the team score to 18-15, Daton Fix closed out Bout at the Ballpark in style with a statement win pinning No. 12 Dylan Ragusin in the first period. Fix scored first as he took Ragusin down with an inside trip then stuck him on his back at the 2:25 mark to clinch the upset for Oklahoma State.

"The way my team wrestled all night motivated me," Fix said. "We were the aggressors with the 16 to two takedown ratio, that's big time, especially against a top-six team."

Carter Young and Victor Voinovich claimed decisions at 141 and 149 pounds over Michigan backups in the first two bouts of the dual. The Wolverines won their first match at 157 pounds when No. 10 Will Lewan defeated No. 14 Kaden Gfeller in the first tiebreaker period with three seconds of riding time being the difference.

Konner Doucet and Travis Wittlake dropped decisions to top-10 opponents at heavyweight and 184 pounds, respectively. Doucet traded takedowns with Mason Parris in the first period but a third-period ride out gave the top-ranked Wolverine a 5-3 victory, while Wittlake dropped a 2-0 decision to No. 9 Matt Finesilver.

Oklahoma State will have a quick turnaround as it hosts No. 8 Missouri on Sunday at 2 p.m. in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

No. 11 Oklahoma State 24, No. 6 Michigan 15
Feb. 3, 2023 I Globe Life Field I Arlington, Texas
Attendance: 2,084

141: No. 22 Carter Young (OSU) dec. Pat Nolan (UM), 9-3
149: No. 20 Victor Voinovich (OSU) dec. Fidel Mayora (UM) 4-0
157: No. 10 Will Lewan (UM) dec. No. 14 Kaden Gfeller (OSU), 3-2 TB-1
165: No. 24 Wyatt Sheets (OSU) TF Joaquin Consuelos (UM), 18-0 4:22
174: No. 6 Dustin Plott (OSU) MD No. 28 Max Maylor (UM), 12-4
184: No. 9 Matt Finesilver (UM) dec. No. 11 Travis Wittlake (OSU), 2-0
197: No. 19 Luke Surber (OSU) dec. Rylan Rogers (UM), 6-2
HWT: No. 1 Mason Parris (UM) dec. No. 24 Konner Doucet (OSU), 5-3
125: No. 20 Jack Medley (UM) fall Reece Witcraft (OSU), SV-1
133: No. 2 Daton Fix (OSU) fall No. 12 Dylan Ragusin (UM), 2:25

Reactions: PawhuskaPoke
Mizzou beat OU 33-3, only dropping 141.

I noticed Mizzou has wrestled 9 duals this year with just 2 remaining, so 11 total. Most teams wrestle 14-16 duals per season. We'll actually have 17. Makes you wonder if Mizzou is intentionally trying to reduce the workload.

Reactions: bwel9339
Missouri
125: Witcraft vs. Noah Surtin - gotta go with Surtain, don’t count Witcraft out
133: Fix vs. Setzer - Fix has moved into assassin mode
141: Young vs. Alan Hart - great test, go with Hart till Young proves otherwise
149: Voinovich vs. Brock Mauler - see 141…was a bad matchup for Boo bc of Mauler’s size…fear the same for VV
157: Gfeller vs. Jacques - G COULD win, seems to have trouble breaking into Top 8 victories
165: Sheets vs. O'Toole ☹️
174: Plott vs. Mocco 😊 Ownership
184: Wittlake vs. Hawks 😊
197: Surber vs. Rocky Elam - Elam heavily favored; it doesn’t seem like you can automatically count Surber out. Last year he figured out how to win. Expecting a strong 2nd half of his career (meaning AA Status)…too early for a big upset at this weight?
285: Doucet vs. Zach Elam - just wrestle like you did Friday night…

3 Wins
1 Toss Up
6 Underdogs

Mizzou beat OU 33-3, only dropping 141.

I noticed Mizzou has wrestled 9 duals this year with just 2 remaining, so 11 total. Most teams wrestle 14-16 duals per season. We'll actually have 17. Makes you wonder if Mizzou is intentionally trying to reduce the workload.

Might not be a terrible strategy. The days of guys wrestling 50 matches seems to be over. Should have a good hard dual schedule, a couple tournaments and try and have them healthy and peaking for March.

Rokfin shows the # of viewers currently watching an event. If it's accurate, roughly 700 people watched the dual. I know the Big10 had PSU/Ohio St from 7-9 & Iowa/Minny from 9-11, but still, how is that # not higher? Willie has 84K subscribers to his channel. Where are all the OSU & Michigan fans?

Rokfin shows the # of viewers currently watching an event. If it's accurate, roughly 700 people watched the dual. I know the Big10 had PSU/Ohio St from 7-9 & Iowa/Minny from 9-11, but still, how is that # not higher? Willie has 84K subscribers to his channel. Where are all the OSU & Michigan fans?
The fact that you had to pay to watch this dual is an absolute joke. I was looking forward to it since it was first announced but I refuse to pay for Rokfin out of principle.

I already pay for Flo, Big 10+, Big 10 network, ACC network and I live in New York and got Rutgers season tickets which is 2 hours away from me in Jersey just to support the sport since they are the best "local" team even though I have no real allegiance to them, just to watch as much wrestling as I can. I paid $100 for Rokfin last year and the price went up already to $150 this year then you have to pay extra on top of that for their "ppv events". I support wrestling as much as anyone I know and I feel like they are trying to bleed me dry and I've had enough

The fact that you had to pay to watch this dual is an absolute joke. I was looking forward to it since it was first announced but I refuse to pay for Rokfin out of principle.

I already pay for Flo, Big 10+, Big 10 network, ACC network and I live in New York and got Rutgers season tickets which is 2 hours away from me in Jersey just to support the sport since they are the best "local" team even though I have no real allegiance to them, just to watch as much wrestling as I can. I paid $100 for Rokfin last year and the price went up already to $150 this year then you have to pay extra on top of that for their "ppv events". I support wrestling as much as anyone I know and I feel like they are trying to bleed me dry and I've had enough
A good question for John on Monday would be why the switch from Flo to Rokfin? Personally I don't really like either, would rather see it on ESPN+ but if you are going to do this every year it needs some consistency. Fans don't want to jump around to different platforms. How much money was made off of Rokfin. How many fans in person? I heard maybe only 2k, if you can't find 10k+ people in Dallas then why do it?

Reactions: Tarem and bwel9339

I don't blame anyone for not joining just to watch 1 dual. I'm referring more to the existing Rokfin subscribers. Willie has 84K. Apparently not many of them are OSU or Michigan fans.

I watched it live on Rokfin so wasn’t there in person. From the broadcast it looked like the attendance was pretty thin. That could be bc globe life is massive idk. Didn’t look like any Mich fans showed up. I don’t think moving forward this is the right decision to make coming down here and giving up a home dual.

I thought everyone wrestled well except Gfeller and Wittlake. They didn’t wrestle bad just didn’t do anything offensively to even deserve the win. Wittlake got rode out and G just left you with nothing to go off of.
Wittcraft showed some of the best defense and scrambling I’ve seen in a while and would have stuck the kid in the first period if the mat had been normal size. Not gonna lie though, he did look a little emaciated. Has to be a big cut.

Ohh… and he can get off bottom…
The only way this is a good decision is if OSU is getting a lot of money to do it. Hurts the sport in terms of casual fans. Prevents OSU fans out of the area who pay for ESPN + to watch the duals from seeing the match live or after the dual without paying additional money, and doesn’t grow the OSU brand in my opinion - some might say it helps in texas, but in my opinion, the only people seeing the dual there are those who are already aware of OSU wrestling.

Hopefully the profit is huge as it is a lose lose proposition overall. I generally respect the decisions made by our athletic department, but the last two years were short sighted on their part in my opinion. Waiting to see and Iowa home dual in Chicago or PSU home dual in Philadelphia.

Well here I was checking this forum and Twitter all afternoon and evening… the Missouri dual is tomorrow.

Moving really makes a guy lose his freakin’ mind.

Did anyone really think when this matchup was announced that there would be a good crowd? OSU is down and not sure Michigan really travels. There was not a great crowd last year and there were 2 tradition rich programs.

Outside of maybe OSU,Iowa,PSU,and Ohio State I think the duals at Rangers field should be scrapped.

Did anyone really think when this matchup was announced that there would be a good crowd? OSU is down and not sure Michigan really travels. There was not a great crowd last year and there were 2 tradition rich programs.

Outside of maybe OSU,Iowa,PSU,and Ohio State I think the duals at Rangers field should be scrapped.
Not sure even these programs are good to move to a largely inaccessible site that requires additional payment. Does not grow the sport or attract the casual fan - just makes the hard core fan pay another fee to watch or miss the dial and just look for the results. Who benefits from this? Is OSU making 5 figures for this?

They had the presser for this a couple of months back. The group behind the event (REV Entertainment) wants to have 4 teams participate next year and continue to grow it going forward. Ultimately they want to host NCAAs.

Reactions: turfpoke and JAY45
HThey had the presser for this a couple of months back. The group behind the event (REV Entertainment) wants to have 4 teams participate next year and continue to grow it going forward. Ultimately they want to host NCAAs.
Great information. Best of luck to to them. The NCAA tournament is the only tournament that is going to fill a large stadium.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Carter upset Hart and won 3 to 2. Carter has figured something out.
Voinovich needs to figure something out because he lost another close match to Mauler 3 to 2 this time. First period Voinovich got in on a leg but didn't finish quick and Mauler slowly out scrambled him and got the takedown. He needs to figure out how to win these matches because he consistently loses these matches.

Voinovich needs to figure something out because he lost another close match to Mauler 3 to 2 this time. First period Voinovich got in on a leg but didn't finish quick and Mauler slowly out scrambled him and got the takedown. He needs to figure out how to win these matches because he consistently loses these matches.
G won 4 to 3 over Jacques. G gave up the takedown in the 3rd, G reversed and rode his opponent for 1 minute and 20 seconds for the win.

Reactions: PawhuskaPoke
4th or 5th year guy vs a RS Freshman.

O’Toole is a stud. So dangerous. MD over Sheets. 7-6 Mizzou leads.

G won 4 to 3 over Jacques. G gave up the takedown in the 3rd, G reversed and rode his opponent for 1 minute and 20 seconds for the win.
Sheets lost 15 to 4 against Keagan O'toole. Sheets would shoot get in on a leg and would have to let go and give up the 2 because his opponent would try the cradle. Also O'toole gets a leg quick for takedowns.

Missouri
125: Witcraft vs. Noah Surtin - gotta go with Surtain, don’t count Witcraft out
133: Fix vs. Setzer - Fix has moved into assassin mode
141: Young vs. Alan Hart - great test, go with Hart till Young proves otherwise
149: Voinovich vs. Brock Mauler - see 141…was a bad matchup for Boo bc of Mauler’s size…fear the same for VV
157: Gfeller vs. Jacques - G COULD win, seems to have trouble breaking into Top 8 victories
165: Sheets vs. O'Toole ☹️
174: Plott vs. Mocco 😊 Ownership
184: Wittlake vs. Hawks 😊
197: Surber vs. Rocky Elam - Elam heavily favored; it doesn’t seem like you can automatically count Surber out. Last year he figured out how to win. Expecting a strong 2nd half of his career (meaning AA Status)…too early for a big upset at this weight?
285: Doucet vs. Zach Elam - just wrestle like you did Friday night…

3 Wins
1 Toss Up
6 Underdogs
It's 7-6 Mizzoo & you have us going 3 & 3 next 6 matches. Gonna be close.

Reactions: JAY45
Sheets lost 15 to 4 against Keagan O'toole. Sheets would shoot get in on a leg and would have to let go and give up the 2 because his opponent would try the cradle. Also O'toole gets a leg quick for takedowns.
Plott likely blew the dual by getting upset 4 to 3 . Mocco did of most of the shooting and slowed Plott down. Plott didn't adjust and lost. Plott had a leg and foolishly reached for the head giving Missouri a chance to out scramble him for the takedown. That ended up costing Plott the match.

Reactions: bwel9339 and driad
Plott loses 4-3. Lots of action. Lots of stalemates. Just couldn’t finish. Mocco had a better gas tank than what we’ve seen out of him lately.

4th or 5th year guy vs a RS Freshman.
He loses these type of matches too often. He needs to get the key takedown instead of losing the takedown or get put on his back. If you want him to stay ranked 20th everything is great.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT