ADVERTISEMENT

Medic

squeak

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2001
My doctor told me to wait 3 months from the time I got covid to get the vaccine. The health department just called to close my case and they said 10 days. Wtf is going on?

Per CDC Website:

People with COVID-19 who have symptoms should wait to be vaccinated until they have recovered from their illness and have met the criteria for discontinuing isolation; those without symptoms should also wait until they meet the criteria before getting vaccinated. This guidance also applies to people who get COVID-19 before getting their second dose of vaccine.

People who have had a known COVID-19 exposure should not seek vaccination until their quarantine period has ended to avoid potentially exposing healthcare personnel and others during the vaccination visit. This recommendation also applies to people with a known COVID-19 exposure who have received their first dose of an mRNA vaccine but not their second.

Me, I would do what my doctor told me to do. If nothing else it gives 3 more months for them to decide that natural immunity is at least as good as the immunization. Disclaimer...this is not medical advise just readily available information.

My Brother in law just got over Covid, had it bad and had to be admitted to the Hosp.
He is getting the vax in 90 days, well 60 now as 30 days has passed. My sister said the doctor told them that since he has the antibodies he should be fine until he can get the vax. He is doing well and went back to work about a month ago.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I checked with another dr. He said 3 months and to not listen to the health department.

Reactions: windriverrange
Per CDC Website:

People with COVID-19 who have symptoms should wait to be vaccinated until they have recovered from their illness and have met the criteria for discontinuing isolation; those without symptoms should also wait until they meet the criteria before getting vaccinated. This guidance also applies to people who get COVID-19 before getting their second dose of vaccine.

People who have had a known COVID-19 exposure should not seek vaccination until their quarantine period has ended to avoid potentially exposing healthcare personnel and others during the vaccination visit. This recommendation also applies to people with a known COVID-19 exposure who have received their first dose of an mRNA vaccine but not their second.

Me, I would do what my doctor told me to do. If nothing else it gives 3 more months for them to decide that natural immunity is at least as good as the immunization. Disclaimer...this is not medical advise just readily available information.
I agree with you

They wouldn’t let my wife take hers until 90 days had passed.
Yeah, the health department was telling me my dr was wrong, it’s 10 days, and asking me if I needed to know where to get a vaccine. Just more inconsistent messaging.

My doctor told me to wait 3 months from the time I got covid to get the vaccine. The health department just called to close my case and they said 10 days. Wtf is going on?
90 days is only for certain folks. Direct from the CDC...

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

If you or your child has a history of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in adults or children (MIS-A or MIS-C), consider delaying vaccination until you or your child have recovered from being sick and for 90 days after the date of diagnosis of MIS-A or MIS-C. Learn more about the clinical considerations for people with a history of multisystem MIS-C or MIS-A.

If you don't meet those criteria, you're safe for the vaccine once you're out of the quarantine/isolation period. That said, I would follow your physician's advice.

90 days is only for certain folks. Direct from the CDC...

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

If you or your child has a history of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in adults or children (MIS-A or MIS-C), consider delaying vaccination until you or your child have recovered from being sick and for 90 days after the date of diagnosis of MIS-A or MIS-C. Learn more about the clinical considerations for people with a history of multisystem MIS-C or MIS-A.

If you don't meet those criteria, you're safe for the vaccine once you're out of the quarantine/isolation period. That said, I would follow your physician's advice.
Just doesn’t make sense to me.

Just doesn’t make sense to me.
Well, the monoclonal antibody infusions and the convalescent plasma infusions really ramp up your immune system. The downside is that your odds of a significant reaction to the vaccine go up the day you take either infusion. Those risks disappear after a month or two, hence the 90 days.

MIS-C and MIS-A, you can google it. Too much to type to be worth it.

Well, the monoclonal antibody infusions and the convalescent plasma infusions really ramp up your immune system. The downside is that your odds of a significant reaction to the vaccine go up the day you take either infusion. Those risks disappear after a month or two, hence the 90 days.

MIS-C and MIS-A, you can google it. Too much to type to be worth it.
I meant just disregarding natural immunity. It’s like it doesn’t matter.

I meant just disregarding natural immunity. It’s like it doesn’t matter.
That's not the case. If you have covid, and then get the vaccine, your immune system is already primed. It's not your immune system initially involved when you receive monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma. Those are introducing antibodies into your system. That's done to enhance immune response to prevent severe covid.

A lot to unravel here, but good seeing good info in this thread.

As for the 90 days, that is only for those that received antibody therapy. That 90 days is based on the half-life of antibodies in circulation. The presence of those antibodies reduces the effectiveness of vaccines. That can be stated in general terms, not just COVID.

I know of no 90 day wait after illness to get vaccinated, as that is not the case for any vaccine-preventative disease. I won’t say the physician is wrong, but not sure where that is coming from. Despite all that, I follow your physician’s advise.

on natural immunity, I am sure there is a good level of protection there, but not necessarily complete. The vaccine targets a conserved part of the large spike protein (conserved meaning: does not change, even with other changes). As the virus mutates, natural immunity may not capture and keep up with that site on the virus. Natural immunity is going to produce more antibodies to repeating sites with less complexity and a few other features which may be sites that are not on the outer surface of the virus and may not “neutralize” the virus. Note, I am not saying natural immunity is not effective, as I think we are still determining that. There is clearly some level of protection. Going out on a limb, I think less protective than the vaccine as the virus mutates, but likely enough to contibute to that elusive “herd immunity.”

My sister got covid bad enough to be hospitalized. She recovered and is doing well. While in the hospital she talked to three different doctors about when the get the vaccine. One said as soon as you're out and feel better. The second said to wait three weeks. The third said to wait three months. She isn't sure what to do and doesn't know which doctor's advice to take.

Antibodies are not necessarily a great way to measure natural immunity. There are times where there are no circulating antibodies but as soon as infection becomes apparent the immune system's "memory" kicks in with a vigorous response. The article siting 2.34x higher risk of infection was a single state of Kentucky. It has yet to be reproducer. They did not take into account if + test were from the old infection or new infection... with only 246 case patients and 492 control it is plausible a small number of persistent not ill + test results from resolved infection could alter the results. IMO the more important question is do people who get it again get more or less sick than those with the vaccine. We know the vaccine does not prevent infection so are we talking apples to apples or apples to oranges.

Reactions: blbronco
Antibodies are not necessarily a great way to measure natural immunity. There are times where there are no circulating antibodies but as soon as infection becomes apparent the immune system's "memory" kicks in with a vigorous response. The article siting 2.34x higher risk of infection was a single state of Kentucky. It has yet to be reproducer. They did not take into account if + test were from the old infection or new infection... with only 246 case patients and 492 control it is plausible a small number of persistent not ill + test results from resolved infection could alter the results. IMO the more important question is do people who get it again get more or less sick than those with the vaccine. We know the vaccine does not prevent infection so are we talking apples to apples or apples to oranges.
Thats not the only study I've seen that says vaccines > natural immunity regarding covid.

I get that B memory is different than circulating antibodies, and I dont have the expertise to say which is better. I have to defer to smart people on this stuff, and they all say take the shot.

We know the vaccine does not prevent infection so are we talking apples to apples or apples to oranges.

Yeah, my apple is not getting hospital sick and passing it on. It seems the common orange out there is whether the vaccine prevents infection and sickness.

Medic, when can I get shingles vaccine? I was diagnosed May 15. I was diagnosed with post something neuralgia 4 months later. I still have the purple stripe with itching and chest pain. Weight loss is long time stopped. I'm rock steady at 194-195 pounds. A sign at my old Walmart says SHINGLES VACCINE AVAILABLE.

Medic, when can I get shingles vaccine? I was diagnosed May 15. I was diagnosed with post something neuralgia 4 months later. I still have the purple stripe with itching and chest pain. Weight loss is long time stopped. I'm rock steady at 194-195 pounds. A sign at my old Walmart says SHINGLES VACCINE AVAILABLE.
Its still experimental. I have a cousin in Ecuador that took it and he had blind spots and his balls grew black and white border collie fur. You don't want it. Do your research.

(@Corndog2021 how'd I do?)

ADVERTISEMENT