ADVERTISEMENT

Lower Illinois trout fishing

Pokes15

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2006
Anyone that has fished on the lower Illinois have any pointers on where the best areas are? Thinking about taking a day trip out there Friday. Was going to go to the Blue, but it looks like that area is getting a bit more rain, so the river will be up and murky.

Quite a bit. Start up by the dam and work your way down. Gore Landing is okay, but there are a couple of small roads that travel the length of the Lower Illinois with little turnoff areas that can be great.

If you start at the dam and methodically just work your way down you will find the fish. I have always caught bigger fish within the first 500 or so yards below the dam but have caught more fish further down.

It's not like fishing Arkansas (big fish are much more rare) but it's a good little stretch of water.

Thanks for the input. I'm headed to the White River in Ark for four days of fishing in a couple of weeks with 6 of my pledge brothers. I'm new to fly fishing, but am completely obsessed now.

Thanks for the input. I'm headed to the White River in Ark for four days of fishing in a couple of weeks with 6 of my pledge brothers. I'm new to fly fishing, but am completely obsessed now.

The White is a lot of fun. As is the Norfolk which is likely very close depending on where you are on the white.

We rented a house on the White, but very close to the Norfolk so we can have a few options depending on flow.

The white river is a blast, really good fishing.

I always enjoy the Lower Mountain Fork River, it had a rough patch not too long ago due to some heavy flooding, but the work they are doing there has really done a lot to bring it back. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't, the area around there is also great Broken Bow(Hochatown) has some really cool restaurants and breweries.

Good luck out there, and post an update if you don't mind.

Youngest kiddo got strep and an ear infection, so now I'll be staying home tomorrow. Really excited about the White River trip though.

I did. For starters, I bought the Cabelas RLS+ package deal in a 9' 5wt. Since then, I bought a Cabela's LSi 8'6" 3wt w/ a Redington Zero reel, and last week I picked up a Sage VXP 9' 5wt to be my primary rod with the RLS as the back up now.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
I did. For starters, I bought the Cabelas RLS+ package deal in a 9' 5wt. Since then, I bought a Cabela's LSi 8'6" 3wt w/ a Redington Zero reel, and last week I picked up a Sage VXP 9' 5wt to be my primary rod with the RLS as the back up now.

Sounds like you're locked and loaded. Do some of you group have any experience on the local waters there? Getting a guide?

One of the guys I'm going with has a buddy that lives near the White and he fishes the White and Norfolk several times a month via boat and wade fishing, so he's going to be our guide. From the reports he's been giving us, the fishing has been very good and the water has been low and mostly wadeable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT