ADVERTISEMENT

Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium

Forpetessake

2nd Team
Mar 8, 2023
Has anyone been to or around Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium? My wife and I will be traveling to Belguim for her job. Things to do. It will be my first time in Europe, also hers. Besides the Monasteries and belguim beer (i'm looking at you Westmalle). I know the town is built around the university. Which we will tour.

Been about a decade ago. For sure go to Chimay and Orval monasteries and have their beer since that would be a cool day trip from Laouvain-La_neuve. We went to St. Sixtus as well. I'd recommend staying in Bruges for a day if you go up there. Very cool town that makes the trip worth it. Just make sure the farmhouse is open before you go to the monastery.

If you are really hard core. Register and be a monk for a few days https://www.orval.be/en/page/454-guest-house.

I used to be a hardcore belguim beer snob. Tres Pistoles was my Budweiser. I like the mink for a day for sure. I could drink up all the profits. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Has anyone been to or around Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium? My wife and I will be traveling to Belguim for her job. Things to do. It will be my first time in Europe, also hers. Besides the Monasteries and belguim beer (i'm looking at you Westmalle). I know the town is built around the university. Which we will tour.
Need to go to Bastogne, Tros Ponts, La Gleize & Malmedy. Can also go to the US MIlitary Cemeteries Henri-Chapelle & Ardennes Cemetery & pay your respects.

If you can make it to the Belgium-Germany border in the Schnee Eifel there is a small town in Germany, Monschau which is a step back in time. Its beautiful & a honeymooning spot for recently married Germans.

If you do head up to St. Sixtus and Bruges, think about going to Roeselare and visiting the Rodenbach brewery. They make the best Flemish sour ever. Aged for a few years in huge wooden vats. Great tour but it is in Dutch. That's where the founder of New Belgium brewery initially got his yeast culture to start his home brewing. He was cycling across Belgium on his Fat Tire bicycle when he stopped in.

Never been to Belgium, but I did see the movie “In Bruges”. Looked like a pretty cool city.

Belgium is a very nice country to visit. One of my favorites overtall in the world. Granted my bent is always of a more military history angle but the people are nice especially in the countryside.

Last time I was there the volcano in Iceland was erupting & all planes were grounded. People were renting cars in Amsterdam & driving to Istanbul to fly to South America to get back to the US. I had happened to choose holiday time then so had a great time except that all the GPS units were already rented out so had to use my phone for navigation.

Anytime I would stop get out with my phone & try to figure where was located (the towns with 5 or 6+ crossroads were brutal) a Belgium citizen would stop, make sure everything was okay & then get me lined up on directions & even guide me to extremely out of the way places for a great meal, beer or some historical site. Nearly every little town has allied country flags flying & or monuments to the specific allied countries soldiers that liberated the towns either before or after the Battle of The Bulge (some of the monuments were dedicated down to regiments). Everyone was still thanking me for the sacrifices of America & American troops in both World Wars.

On a business trip went to the main military museum in Brussels after our meetings ended early. One of the better military museums have every seen. Then my colleague took me the the battlefield at waterloo, which is amazing. There is a huge hill in the middle of the area near the town of waterloo. You can climb the steps & get a panoramic view of the whole battlefield & the museum props that explain what was going on in every direction.

Fell in love with Hoegaarden beer there & still think its one of the best beers have ever tasted.

It should be a must see destination IMHO.

If you do head up to St. Sixtus and Bruges, think about going to Roeselare and visiting the Rodenbach brewery. They make the best Flemish sour ever. Aged for a few years in huge wooden vats. Great tour but it is in Dutch. That's where the founder of New Belgium brewery initially got his yeast culture to start his home brewing. He was cycling across Belgium on his Fat Tire bicycle when he stopped in.
Yeah, I will know more as soon as they get the meeting date finalized.

Need to go to Bastogne, Tros Ponts, La Gleize & Malmedy. Can also go to the US MIlitary Cemeteries Henri-Chapelle & Ardennes Cemetery & pay your respects.

If you can make it to the Belgium-Germany border in the Schnee Eifel there is a small town in Germany, Monschau which is a step back in time. Its beautiful & a honeymooning spot for recently married Germans.

Been to this region and it was very memorable. I would second Wind's advice here. I am hoping to return soon.

Reactions: windriverrange
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT