Liz Truss resigns

Tulsaaggieson

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2010
Stillwater
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63332037

Liz Truss resigns: PM's exit kicks off another Tory leadership race

So what does all of this mean. Does Britain reconsider it's Brexit? (Lord I hope not)

Is it a sign of poor Conservative ideas or leadership? (I would say the later). Times fails to recognize that Truss didn't get much if any of the 105 billion in tax cuts through. So how is that a referendum on the Conservative Party's (Tory) ideas. It should rather be a referendum on the Labor Party's opposition, and an inability of Truss (the moderate Tory that made the most the happiest, and simply found herself PM because everyone else was eliminated, instead of actually winning the position) in being able to get her party in gear.

I get the impression that Truss's resignation has less to do with politics and more to do with the Central Bank of England. But England faces a ton of challenges in the next few years, add in 13% inflation, and a reduction in fossil fuels for energy, and you have a recipe for disaster. If the Central Bank refused to raise interest rates over the inflation rate, what is going to the be the result? A soft landing is clearly off the table at this point, and it looks more like the British economy is going to have to hope that the trees don't take apart every bit of the aircraft crashing into the forest. The big question though is what caused their economy to stumble so badly? Was it Covid, Brexit, tax cuts, lack of tax cuts, their energy plan, the war in Ukraine, or something else? What everyone can agree on is that they need steady leadership. It will be interesting, and important for the US to see who emerges. I hope it is Tom Tugendhat.

Shit britches probably thinks the same thing, he's not done a thing in his almost 2 years as president of the US.

Is it a sign of poor Conservative ideas or leadership? (I would say the later).
It’s poor leadership and it’s widespread across the globe. There’s no collaboration, no compromise, no courage amongst any of these morons anymore, their behavior is nuts. Are they stupid? In bed with China? Who knows but they all need to look in the mirror and fix themselves before the people do it for them Mussolini style.

A good old-fashioned globalist inspired war would solve a lot of their problems right now.
Wouldn't surprise me if that was all part of the plan. COVID didn't kill off enough need WWIII to take out a couple a billion people around the world.
It’s poor leadership and it’s widespread across the globe. There’s no collaboration, no compromise, no courage amongst any of these morons anymore, their behavior is nuts. Are they stupid? In bed with China? Who knows but they all need to look in the mirror and fix themselves before the people do it for them Mussolini style.
Don't get me wrong here, January 6th was not a good day but it did get the attention of the out of touch ruling elite in Congress.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was all part of the plan. COVID didn't kill off enough need WWIII to take out a couple a billion people around the world.

Don't get me wrong here, January 6th was not a good day but it did get the attention of the out of touch ruling elite in Congress.
A new political tool?

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
A new political tool?
Oh I'm sure when the left loses the mid terms they are going to start seething allowing it to build for two years and if they lose the 2024 election the will lash out making January 6th look like a church social. Hell they wanted to overrun the White House during the BLM BS, imagine how they will react if they get their asses handed to them in an election.

Oh I'm sure when the left loses the mid terms they are going to start seething allowing it to build for two years and if they lose the 2024 election the will lash out making January 6th look like a church social. Hell they wanted to overrun the White House during the BLM BS, imagine how they will react if they get their asses handed to them in an election.
Mid terms can't get here fast enough.

I wonder if people have unrealistic expectations of Republicans if they sweep both the House and Senate in the mid-term election. When is the last time the Republicans actually accomplished anything of meaning? I read the other day that Cocaine Mitch voted the same as Chuck Schumer on 66% of votes. What I suspect will happen is the Republicans will freeze in fear of doing anything lest they get called names by the MSM, the economy continues to tank and the Democrats will be handed a talking point in 2024. I hope I’m wrong, but considering how easily the “Tea Party” Republicans were so easily lured into the DC swamp I don’t trust any of them. As they say in Missouri: Show Me!

I wonder if people have unrealistic expectations of Republicans if they sweep both the House and Senate in the mid-term election. When is the last time the Republicans actually accomplished anything of meaning? I read the other day that Cocaine Mitch voted the same as Chuck Schumer on 66% of votes. What I suspect will happen is the Republicans will freeze in fear of doing anything lest they get called names by the MSM, the economy continues to tank and the Democrats will be handed a talking point in 2024. I hope I’m wrong, but considering how easily the “Tea Party” Republicans were so easily lured into the DC swamp I don’t trust any of them. As they say in Missouri: Show Me!
I think it is incumbent on Republicans to act. You will see early when they chose leadership if there is change. If they stick with mitch then no change and scared. If they switch then it could get interesting.

Missouri's been on the fence for awhile.

What a disastrous premiership for Truss. She is going to go down in history as the shortest-serving UK prime minister.

To answer @Tulsaaggieson question, I think this is both a failure of leadership and poor ideas from the Tories. The Tories are stinking up the joint right now.

Sir Keir Starmer is exactly right, the Tories are presiding over utter chaos right now and it is time for a general election. However, considering the rule put in place under David Cameron's government, a general election is going to be hard for the opposition parties to get. Tories definitely don't want to have a general election right now with polls showing a potential landslide for Labour. Heck, polls are even showing the Tories could end up in third place if a general election was held today. They wouldn't even be the official opposition party if that happened.

I think it is incumbent on Republicans to act. You will see early when they chose leadership if there is change. If they stick with mitch then no change and scared. If they switch then it could get interesting.

They won't switch anyone; Mitch and Kevin will remain. All we'll get is a lot of talk and no action other than investigations. Bof'em are worthless as tits on a boar hog.

What I suspect will happen is the Republicans will freeze in fear of doing anything lest they get called names by the MSM, the economy continues to tank and the Democrats will be handed a talking point in 2024.
Nah, if Republicans take back control of Congress and follow the script, they will probably overreach and end up helping the Democrats more than hurting them heading into 2024. Republicans would be wise to show restraint and actually try to appear like a reasonable governing party. That is where they could cause the most damage to Democrats heading into '24.

But that isn't what their base wants and that isn't what tends to happen, historically speaking.

Nah, if Republicans take back control of Congress and follow the script, they will probably overreach and end up helping the Democrats more than hurting them heading into 2024. Republicans would be wise to show restraint and actually try to appear like a reasonable governing party. That is where they could cause the most damage to Democrats heading into '24.

But that isn't what their base wants and that isn't what tends to happen, historically speaking.
fire destroy GIF

Is it a sign of poor Conservative ideas or leadership? (I would say the later). Times fails to recognize that Truss didn't get much if any of the 105 billion in tax cuts through. So how is that a referendum on the Conservative Party's (Tory) ideas. It should rather be a referendum on the Labor Party's opposition, and an inability of Truss (the moderate Tory that made the most the happiest, and simply found herself PM because everyone else was eliminated, instead of actually winning the position) in being able to get her party in gear.
As the article noted, Truss' unfunded tax cuts proposal (which, of course, disproportionately favored the country’s wealthiest) resulted in crashing the pound, spooking the markets, and undermining Britain’s credibility around the world. It even had King Charles saying "Back again? Dear, oh dear."🤣

Trying to blame the Labour Party for the mess the Tories find themselves in is hilarious! And just flat out foolishness. As I stated above, we are seeing both a failure of leadership and poor ideas from the Tories.

What could the Republicans actually accomplish? Even sweeping both houses, they can't pass anything that Biden won't veto. Heck, most won't pass the Senate as suddenly the filibuster will be the greatest invention in the history of democracy. So I don't expect Republicans to do anything. But D.C. doing absolutely nothing is WAY better than the shit government we got now.

What could the Republicans actually accomplish? Even sweeping both houses, they can't pass anything that Biden won't veto. Heck, most won't pass the Senate as suddenly the filibuster will be the greatest invention in the history of democracy. So I don't expect Republicans to do anything. But D.C. doing absolutely nothing is WAY better than the shit government we got now.
I'm thinking in terms of looking like they are working. Pass the bills, and make Biden veto them. Put one on his desk every day, and force him to be the President of no. You may find enough votes to override one or two. In between that investigate the hell out of the democrats and write subpoenas until your hands bleed. Put these a-holes on the record under oath and show them lying. The Republicans cannot just sit on their hands and do nothing, but you can expect most of what they will be doing to end in veto. I would be surprised if some cabinet members don't get impeached themselves. I don't think Biden will be, not because he doesn't deserve it, but because that would put Kamala in the hot seat, and that would be worse for the country. I would even expect Republicans to prop Biden up on a stick if he died and go full Weekend at Bernie's.

I'm thinking in terms of looking like they are working. Pass the bills, and make Biden veto them. Put one on his desk every day, and force him to be the President of no. You may find enough votes to override one or two. In between that investigate the hell out of the democrats and write subpoenas until your hands bleed. Put these a-holes on the record under oath and show them lying. The Republicans cannot just sit on their hands and do nothing, but you can expect most of what they will be doing to end in veto. I would be surprised if some cabinet members don't get impeached themselves. I don't think Biden will be, not because he doesn't deserve it, but because that would put Kamala in the hot seat, and that would be worse for the country. I would even expect Republicans to prop Biden up on a stick if he died and go full Weekend at Bernie's.
I think Republicans will go after Biden. They have to with all the evidence that has been revealed about Biden and his family. The trick will be to time it correctly.

I don't begin to think I understand British politics but this seems nuts to me. They remove Johnson for what ever reason and then just a few weeks later put him back in charge? SMH

The Tories and the GOP are a lot more alike than some realize.

Reactions: Ponca Dan
It's like the think tomorrow will never come, lol.
Yeah. The fantasy world they have created to live in is something to behold.

Just read some of their posts on this board about what they are hoping will happen if Republicans take back control of Congress. They just don't live in reality nor do they ever learn from history.

One of them, I think it was @2012Bearcat, shared an article indicating there is already signs of infighting among Republicans in the House about how things should be run after the midterms. Their extremist members are wanting to run the show. And he shared this as if it was good news for Republicans and some others agreed.🤣🤣

I don't begin to think I understand British politics but this seems nuts to me. They remove Johnson for what ever reason and then just a few weeks later put him back in charge? SMH
Dumb. He is still under investigation for lying to the lower chamber. Doubt it happens. He may well get one of his proxies elected though.

Reactions: Ponca Dan
Dumb. He is still under investigation for lying to the lower chamber. Doubt it happens. He may well get one of his proxies elected though.
At this point, I wouldn't put anything past the Tories. They are imploding right before our very eyes and are desperate. Bringing Johnson back makes no sense, but "making sense" hasn't been the Tory goal as of late.

IMO, Rishi Sunak makes the most sense for them. He tried to warn his fellow Tories about the dangers of Truss's economic plan. He and his warnings have been proven right. In the last leadership election, he had the most votes from MPs (more than Truss received) and secured 43% in the member's vote. If not Sunak, then maybe Penny Mordaunt. She is getting some buzz right now, having just announced she is in the running. She too is a moderate like Sunak.

Reactions: davidallen
At this point, I wouldn't put anything past the Tories. They are imploding right before our very eyes and are desperate. Bringing Johnson back makes no sense, but "making sense" hasn't been the Tory goal as of late.

IMO, Rishi Sunak makes the most sense for them. He tried to warn his fellow Tories about the dangers of Truss's economic plan. He and his warnings have been proven right. In the last leadership election, he had the most votes from MPs (more than Truss received) and secured 43% in the member's vote. If not Sunak, then maybe Penny Mordaunt. She is getting some buzz right now, having just announced she is in the running. She too is a moderate like Sunak.
LOL

Care to share what you find so funny?
You, and virtually everything you write on this board. The single most deranged partisan person on this board calls those with whom he disagrees deranged partisans. I think a clever sit-com developer could make a fortune by having a show based on your participation here. You're really, really funny! You're the board's equivalent of a left-wing Cliff Clavin and you don't even know it.

Last edited:
You, and virtually everything you write on this board. The single most deranged partisan person on this board calls those with whom he disagrees deranged partisans. I think a clever sit-com developer could make a fortune by having a show based on your participation here. You're really, really funny! You're the board's equivalent of a left-wing Cliff Clavin and you don't even know it.
What does any of this have to do with the discussion we were having about who could be the next Prime Minister of the UK?

Get back on your medicine as soon as possible.

What does any of this have to do with the discussion we were having about who could be the next Prime Minister of the UK?

Get back on your medicine as soon as possible.
Is that what you think, Cliff? Shoud I start taking medication? Would that stop me from making fun of you? No, I don't think it would. I can't believe it took me this long to finally figure you out, you're our very own Cliff Clavin. Surely you remember what a doofus he was. It has been right in front of me all this time, but I only just this minute put two and two together and realized you pattern your life after Cliff.

Brexit was such a slow motion train wreck. The same maga-type, there's-no-tomorrow, say any promise ethos has wrecked their economy. They need to clean house. I say that - Trump would get the Republican nomination today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT