ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy RTC and the next quad

I predicted this the other day when word got out that he might stay in State College. He has the resume to be as influential if not more so than Gilman, and lives the life of a mat warrior. I am very, very excited by this.

He is going to teach some brutal top offense to Blaze, Forrest, and Bassett. :)
I am all about these kids getting the best coaching, but I am hoping these three get it elsewhere than Penn State! haha

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I thought Zain was retiring to move to NYC to work on wall street?
You’re only out when Cael says you’re out. That’s why DT is getting the Fredo treatment
Marlon Brando Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

NLWC/PSU already has Nick lee. I can't see this as anything other than a hire to help land the next set of studs coming up. If you think Cael isn't keeping an eye on Stilly then you need to pull your head out.
Like every other NLWC athlete, he is indeed a selling point to recruits. However, I venture to guess his presence as a coach and partner (and just general mentor) to the team right now was Cael's first thought when he worked to retain him.

I’m not sure they need the next round of studs but it’s pretty damn important for us to land them.
It is very important that we get several of these young men ( Jax, Bo, Blaze and Mocco and maybe a couple of kids more that are special). If not, we will be competing for 2nd place for the next 6 years. That Penn. St. domination of our 20 and under World team will be hard to overcome and if they get the best of the 2026 class forget about 35 for a long time. The 2026 class for Taylor and us is big.

Reactions: AtownPoke
It is very important that we get several of these young men ( Jax, Bo, Blaze and Mocco and maybe a couple of kids more that are special). If not, we will be competing for 2nd place for the next 6 years. That Penn. St. domination of our 20 and under World team will be hard to overcome and if they get the best of the 2026 class forget about 35 for a long time. The 2026 class for Taylor and us is big.
Also I dislike Penn. St much more than Iowa because they are the barrier to 35. I don't mind Iowa or Penn. St being on this board, but they are the enemy. Easy to be nice when they have been pounding us in the ground. I hope to see that change with them because we win 35.

I predicted this the other day when word got out that he might stay in State College. He has the resume to be as influential if not more so than Gilman, and lives the life of a mat warrior. I am very, very excited by this.

He is going to teach some brutal top offense to Blaze, Forrest, and Bassett. :)
Wait so he's gonna fly into SWO once every very week or two to work with DT's kids? :)

Yes and I've flown into both KUNV and KSWO and SWO is bigger. Do you really call your's an airport? :)
Last time at was at State College's airport was 1985. My current local airport is a one room schoolhouse. One gate with rocking chairs. You can't pass through security until you're less than 30 minutes from departure. The ticketing agent is also the boarding agent, and the luggage handler. IT'S THAT SMALL.

Hilton head airport (HHH) - 7-8 flights per day not counting private jets, which is the vast majority of the business there.

Last time at was at State College's airport was 1985. My current local airport is a one room schoolhouse. One gate with rocking chairs. You can't pass through security until you're less than 30 minutes from departure. The ticketing agent is also the boarding agent, and the luggage handler. IT'S THAT SMALL.

Hilton head airport (HHH) - 7-8 flights per day not counting private jets, which is the vast majority of the business there.
First/last/only time flew into UNV was ~week after 9/11, airlines were flying, someone wanted to go look at a wrestler. Landed and taken off from SWO just about every year since 1977.

Also I dislike Penn. St much more than Iowa because they are the barrier to 35. I don't mind Iowa or Penn. St being on this board, but they are the enemy. Easy to be nice when they have been pounding us in the ground. I hope to see that change with them because we win 35.
I talked about this with @AtownPoke and I admit it's easy for PSU fans to take the high road right now but the coming years it will get heated as the rivalry is established.

But I just enjoy good wrestling discussions in general and it's always fun getting the other point of view and I acknowledge this board will have a belief that PSU's run is ending soon and I'm not here to contest that on your board as Atown said, that doesn't go anywhere (when he was debating DT taking the PSU job on BWI)

Overall though, this board feels much different (in a good way) than Iowa's as this one has almost no "conspiracy theorist" (PSU only has won since they cheated) flavor

I talked about this with @AtownPoke and I admit it's easy for PSU fans to take the high road right now but the coming years it will get heated as the rivalry is established.

But I just enjoy good wrestling discussions in general and it's always fun getting the other point of view and I acknowledge this board will have a belief that PSU's run is ending soon and I'm not here to contest that on your board as Atown said, that doesn't go anywhere (when he was debating DT taking the PSU job on BWI)

Overall though, this board feels much different (in a good way) than Iowa's as this one has almost no "conspiracy theorist" (PSU only has won since they cheated) flavor

There's still time for that.

There's still time for that.
It’ll probably come fast if Cael holds us off. The excitement and expectations are so dang high that the Cael dislike will shift gears to hate very quick imo. I still don’t think you’ll ever see this board acting like HR though lol

Reactions: vhsalum

You mean Cael's several years of having his RTC and promising jobs to his post-grads, before the NCAA changed rules to allow for everyone to do it in 2017ish, wasn't cheating? Asking for a friend lol

• Haha
You mean Cael's several years of having his RTC and promising jobs to his post-grads, before the NCAA changed rules to allow for everyone to do it in 2017ish, wasn't cheating? Asking for a friend lol

Was it cheating, in some people’s eyes.

Was it taking advantage of an area that could be fought and won in a courtroom grey area situation, in most people’s eyes.

So basically they had bigger cajones and confident lawyers.

Was it taking advantage of an area that could be fought and won in a courtroom grey area situation, in most people’s eyes.

Tried looking it up but I'm sure it's just buried somewhere - when did the NCAA formally allow RTCs?

PS I'm totally fine having PSU or any other fans here, if you're into wrestling and a nice person then there's more we have in common than not and we can hang.

Tried looking it up but I'm sure it's just buried somewhere - when did the NCAA formally allow RTCs?

PS I'm totally fine having PSU or any other fans here, if you're into wrestling and a nice person then there's more we have in common than not and we can hang.
RTCs became a thing in 2009 I believe

Pretty much, the NCAA NEVER has jurisdiction over USA Wrestling and/or IOC...I'm pretty sure it is/was the other way around?

So, it really was just a grey area that was being navigated correctly. As long as guys were still amateur competitors (which there is no professional Wrestling) they can utilize the training benefits of an RTC. Those benefits are monetary in many instances and promises are promises.

Reactions: Howie_Fartz

I really don’t think it will be a problem. There will be some “Bros” with sower grape’s attitude but I don’t think it will be any real problems

I would agree completely. We still had a bit of PTSD from the punishment we received back in the 90’s. So, I’m glad for the new blood with a new phiosophy. Go pokes.

Reactions: chasepollard
Wonder if he’s always been “not retired” or whether being a full-time coach has changed his outlook on competing/wrestling in general. Not sure how much he was training vs coaching at NLWC compared to what he’s doing in Stillwater

I love it, needless to say, both of them are clearly in competition shape as they just were in the finals of OTT. Why not? I think DT would clearly be the man at 92 (in the world as well) ... Thomas less clear but he's definitely a contender, he looked as good as ever and was extremely competitive with Spencer (final result was deceptive, he mentally gave up with 10 seconds left) Thomas matches up VERY well with Vito if he makes it there, his in your face style never let's Vito into space to use his insane length and speed.

Obviously this won't be a regular thing since they made a commitment (and are compensated very well) to the kids at Oklahoma State so they probably figure, if not now, it'll never happen again.

Reactions: tom_v31
First Gilman comes to coach at OSU. I said okay. Then he wears OSU garb. I said great. Now I have to ROOT for him as a competitor?? This is too far.

Just kidding. I’m sure it just amps everybody up. Super cool. Hope he freaking crushes it. Is Daton also going to WTT?

Can you be a HC and also compete at the senior level? Is this a conflict of priorities being the head coach of a DI program? Im guessing there is something he put in his contract allowing for this just in case. Either way, I don't care if DT competes again but I just think it's hard to focus on yourself while addressing your team needs at the same time.

Reactions: gyppoke
Can you be a HC and also compete at the senior level? Is this a conflict of priorities being the head coach of a DI program? Im guessing there is something he put in his contract allowing for this just in case. Either way, I don't care if DT competes again but I just think it's hard to focus on yourself while addressing your team needs at the same time.
John & Cael both did it.

First Gilman comes to coach at OSU. I said okay. Then he wears OSU garb. I said great. Now I have to ROOT for him as a competitor?? This is too far.

Just kidding. I’m sure it just amps everybody up. Super cool. Hope he freaking crushes it. Is Daton also going to WTT?
Daton is signed up for 61kg

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Wonder if he’s always been “not retired” or whether being a full-time coach has changed his outlook on competing/wrestling in general. Not sure how much he was training vs coaching at NLWC compared to what he’s doing in Stillwater
Sometimes, you see coaches come back for a few matches and do better than before. They say they have a different perspective. I never see them go past a year though. It’s like breaking up with a girlfriend and you get back with her and realize why you broke up in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT