ADVERTISEMENT

Last Time OSU Overperformed?

tom_v31

2nd Team
Jan 24, 2020
Bartlesville
When was the last time OSU overperformed or peaked correctly at the NCAA championships? I have not been closely following OSU wrestling for very long, but it seems OSU peaks well for the conference championships but doesn’t show up for the championships. I am perfectly willing to accept that I’m seeing things wrong. Maybe I’m such a homer that anything short of a championship is underperforming. Thoughts?

When was the last time OSU overperformed or peaked correctly at the NCAA championships? I have not been closely following OSU wrestling for very long, but it seems OSU peaks well for the conference championships but doesn’t show up for the championships. I am perfectly willing to accept that I’m seeing things wrong. Maybe I’m such a homer that anything short of a championship is underperforming. Thoughts?

Yeah, I think saying anything besides a championship is underperforming is being a homer. If this team found a way to finish second this year I think it would be a great season.

As for underperforming at NCAAs, I haven't looked at actual points vs seeding but in 2017 just about everyone but two guys outperformed their seeds and the two guys who didn't were hurt (Collica and Shafer). We've definitely had some disappointing years recently but I would bet if you looked overall the past decade we haven't underperformed as badly as our fanbase might think.

Reactions: tom_v31
Also when you have high seeds you are more likely to be upset. Nowhere to go, but down. Unseeded wrestlers get on the podium every year.

Part of under performing in my mind is having guys get hurt so they are not capable of placing as high as they should or could. That is not reflected with regard to how they perform due to seeding, because they are already seeded lower than would be expected. The Pokes do seem to be an injury riddled team and that is my opinion from the outside looking in.

Injuries have been an issue in March for the last several years to the point it’s probably worth looking into. I know this dovetails with the other thread but it has been a big part of under performance.

We will likely under perform a tad this year in terms of mid-season expectations due to injuries again with Brock and Plott.

Last edited:
Injuries have been an issue in March for the last several years to the point it’s probably worth looking into. I know this dovetails with the other thread but it has been a big part of under performance.

We will likely under perform a rad this year in terms of mid-season expectations due to injuries again with Brock and Plott.

It also seems like there have been some bad influences on the team. Not sure how that's managed or if they're still there. I also don't recall guys not making weight to start the season, but that's been a recent thing too.

We definitely have had some overperforming individuals, though, even if our team hasn't overperformed in several years. Geer two years ago getting his All American status and beating Rasheed was pretty righteous. Derek White making it to the finals. Even Wittlake two years ago making it as far as he did I'd say is overperforming, or at least exceeding expectations. Of course as soon as you exceed expectations, you set a new bar for expectations... :)

Yeah, I think saying anything besides a championship is underperforming is being a homer. If this team found a way to finish second this year I think it would be a great season.

As for underperforming at NCAAs, I haven't looked at actual points vs seeding but in 2017 just about everyone but two guys outperformed their seeds and the two guys who didn't were hurt (Collica and Shafer). We've definitely had some disappointing years recently but I would bet if you looked overall the past decade we haven't underperformed as badly as our fanbase might think.
Good points

Reactions: Air_Thurman
It also seems like there have been some bad influences on the team. Not sure how that's managed or if they're still there. I also don't recall guys not making weight to start the season, but that's been a recent thing too.

We definitely have had some overperforming individuals, though, even if our team hasn't overperformed in several years. Geer two years ago getting his All American status and beating Rasheed was pretty righteous. Derek White making it to the finals. Even Wittlake two years ago making it as far as he did I'd say is overperforming, or at least exceeding expectations. Of course as soon as you exceed expectations, you set a new bar for expectations... :)
I do agree. John can develop the talent. I wonder if the team is peaking too early.

My thoughts is that OSU has the talent to compete and to win, they just have get out of their heads. I see the OSU guys freeze up when they get into big situations. I have discovered that when you move from good stress to bad stress, you don’t perform at your peak.

You always want more, but we had a great tourney. First champ since 2017, 2 finalists, 6 AAs, the Wyatt & Austin runs. We are not there yet and won't be until we reclaim the team title. But this was a direction changing tourney IMO.

Some things to consider...

Rosselli won Big12 coach of the year 2 weeks ago. We finished ahead of OU by more than 80 points this weekend.

Ohio St had the top recruiting class in 2018 and has the best facility in the country. We finished ahead of them.

Michigan has one of the top RTCs in the country (poached Alex too). We finished ahead of them also.

You always want more, but we had a great tourney. First champ since 2017, 2 finalists, 6 AAs, the Wyatt & Austin runs. We are not there yet and won't be until we reclaim the team title. But this was a direction changing tourney IMO.

Rosselli won Big12 coach of the year 2 weeks ago. We finished ahead of them by more than 80 points this weekend.

Ohio St had the top recruiting class in 2018 and has the best facility in the country. We finished ahead of them.

Michigan has one of the top RTCs in the country (pouched Alex too). We finished ahead of them also.
Surprisingly, that does make me feel better

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER

Rosselli won Big12 coach of the year 2 weeks ago. We finished ahead of OU by more than 80 points this weekend.

Michigan has one of the top RTCs in the country (poached Alex too). We finished ahead of them also.
Outstanding post with great comments. Ohio state really surprises me with their resources. Kerk didn’t do them any favors

Reactions: Wrassler17
Kerk didn’t do 3 schools any favors, he was committed to Minny before us, realized he couldn’t make/hold 197.

Reactions: BigD_cowboy

I totally agree with this assessment as proof that we are definitely moving in the right direction and well on our way to 35... perhaps next year.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Much better chance we RS everyone with one available than win a title in 2022. Our realistic title run will be 2023 to 2025.

Yeah, I'm mister optimist and I don't see it next year unless we get some big time transfers. I think our realistic shot begins after next year at the earliest.

Reactions: osu2082
Much better chance we RS everyone with one available than win a title in 2022. Our realistic title run will be 2023 to 2025.
I think so to. Friday night my glass half full self got carried away and I said next year. Saturday night I came back down to reality. Your plan is right but I don't think AJ would go along with that plus I don't know if that would be good for AJ either with his energy and future. I think I remember him saying 3 or 4 more years wrestling at Oklahoma State.

I was extremely satisfied with OSU’s results at the tourney. I predicted OSU would have a bounce back performance in the NCAAs and OU would have a snap back performance. To have finished 3rd and to almost have finished second from where we were is a testament to coach Smith and his staff. We (I) tend judge things by what we don’t have. The future is good for sure

Reactions: turfpoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT